ADVERTISEMENT

Is FSU's Tucker Center now the hardest place to play in college basketball?

FSU's last 67 games at the Tuck:

64-3

All three losses by 4 points or less, and all to elite programs.

Coach K is 1-1 at the Tucker Center during the OP time frame, getting outscored by 14 points. (Won by 2 points, blown out by 16).

K wasn't at the game in 2017. So, more like 1-0. He hasn't lost at the Tuck since 2011.

Reactions: Quavarius
K wasn't at the game in 2017. So, more like 1-0. He hasn't lost at the Tuck since 2011.
How convenient. Doubtful him sitting on the bench is good enough for 17 points, but whatever.

Also fyi both Sports Reference and Wikipedia show he gets credit for all the wins and losses that season.

How convenient. Doubtful him sitting on the bench is good enough for 17 points, but whatever.

Also fyi both Sports Reference and Wikipedia show he gets credit for all the wins and losses that season.

Correct. But, he wasn't at the game. He wasn't coaching.

And Amile Jefferson also didn't play that game. Huge difference between Chase Jeter and Amile. So yeah, good chance we lose that game. Even still, K has beaten FSU 8 straight times.

Reactions: Quavarius
Correct. But, he wasn't at the game. He wasn't coaching.

And Amile Jefferson also didn't play that game. Huge difference between Chase Jeter and Amile. So yeah, good chance we lose that game. Even still, K has beaten FSU 8 straight times.
If only the jerseys said Coach K instead of Duke.

So back to the topic, FSU during this time frame is 4-3 vs elite powers Duke, UVA, and Louisville (the three losses by an avg of 3 points) and 60-0 vs everyone else.

Toughest place to play in America.

Reactions: Fsuwarpath10
I know this doesn't tell the full picture, but I do find this stat kind of interesting.

Home record verse Top 10 teams since the 2016-17 season:

Virginia: 5-1 (83.3%)
UNC: 7-3 (70.0%)
Duke: 4-2 (66.7%)
Louisville: 4-4 (50.0%)
FSU: 1-2 (33.3%)

Reactions: jhmossy
If only the jerseys said Coach K instead of Duke.

So back to the topic, FSU during this time frame is 4-3 vs elite powers Duke, UVA, and Louisville (the three losses by an avg of 3 points) and 60-0 vs everyone else.

Toughest place to play in America.
I'm happy for you all but no, its not.

Why are we only going back 67 games? Is that how long the Tucker center has been open?

Because if you include 2016, FSU has to account for 4 additional home losses.

I think what Kansas has done over the course of the century is much more impressive. A record of 301-16 (95.0%) is only slightly behind FSU's winning percentage from the past 4 seasons (95.6%)

It’s not easy by any means. Especially when FSU is really ****ing good.

Because if you include 2016, FSU has to account for 4 additional home losses.

I think what Kansas has done over the course of the century is much more impressive. A record of 301-16 (95.0%) is only slightly behind FSU's winning percentage from the past 4 seasons (95.6%)
With twice the talent and half the SOS (excluding this year).

It's called a span. Don't you Sportscenter?
Just because you have a 3 year span of winning at home doesn't make it the toughest place to play my friend. Kentucky is 182 - 10 since 2009 at home. I can name 5 places pretty easily off the top of my head that are tougher to play at than FSU. This is basketball we are talking about.

With twice the talent and half the SOS (excluding this year).

What FSU has done over the last four years is really, really impressive. I know it sounds like I'm downgrading that a bit, I just don't think it's as impressive as what Kansas has done over the course of the past 21 seasons.

And yes, KU has had more talent. But still, isn't the topic the most difficult place to play? Not the most difficult place to play, per talent level? And as I previously mentioned, FSU has only played 3 top 10 games during that span. So I'm not sure the SOS argument carries a whole lot of merit.

Reactions: GoNoles80
Just because you have a 3 year span of winning at home doesn't make it the toughest place to play my friend. Kentucky is 182 - 10 since 2009 at home. I can name 5 places pretty easily off the top of my head that are tougher to play at than FSU. This is basketball we are talking about.
Kentucky has had twice the talent AND an easier schedule. This is not even debatable.

I guess if you're going to point out top 10 opponents as a means of discrediting the stat, you'd need to do a comparison to home records regardless of opponent. I've seen lots of instances where teams are losing to teams they are favored against at home, which we aren't doing. Have had a couple close calls, but they are still wins. I think if you narrow your field of view, you could say that the Tuck is one of the top ten hardest places to play currently, and that would become more apparent if we could schedule home and home games against blue bloods and name teams. We still haven't arrived in that regard. Also, comparing our top 10 opponents against the rest of the ACC is kind of flawed. We aren't scheduled to have home and home series against the top teams like they all do against one another for the most part. So we're not getting as many at bats if you will.

Kentucky has had twice the talent AND an easier schedule. This is not even debatable.
I'm not trying to downplay FSU. This is like a top 5 season ever for you guys so far. I'm just saying, crawl before you walk. You all have a great environment but its not the hardest place to play in the country. Not many people outside of Tallahassee will agree with you on this.

Reactions: supergreennole
3 more wins and FSU fans get to defend “you only win because of the refs” and “look at the foul/FT disparity.”

You’re almost “FSU gets all of the calls!”

Keep it up!

I'm not trying to downplay FSU. This is like a top 5 season ever for you guys so far. I'm just saying, crawl before you walk. You all have a great environment but its not the hardest place to play in the country. Not many people outside of Tallahassee will agree with you on this.
It is definitely an "in the moment" kind of conclusion. Stats can tell a lot of stories but not a lot of truths. I do think that we have the talent, along with the atmosphere, to back this up regularly but it takes more volume of games to overcome somewhere like Phog or Rupp or Cameron, etc

Reactions: JimboBBN
I guess if you're going to point out top 10 opponents as a means of discrediting the stat, you'd need to do a comparison to home records regardless of opponent. I've seen lots of instances where teams are losing to teams they are favored against at home, which we aren't doing. Have had a couple close calls, but they are still wins. I think if you narrow your field of view, you could say that the Tuck is one of the top ten hardest places to play currently, and that would become more apparent if we could schedule home and home games against blue bloods and name teams. We still haven't arrived in that regard. Also, comparing our top 10 opponents against the rest of the ACC is kind of flawed. We aren't scheduled to have home and home series against the top teams like they all do against one another for the most part. So we're not getting as many at bats if you will.

I agree, it's a flawed stat. That's why I qualified it and said it doesn't tell the full picture. Again, what FSU has done over the past 4 seasons is really remarkable. Much better than Duke. I just thought it was interesting. The reality is, you're going to lose a couple games to teams that you should beat semi-comfortably. So, holding serve on all of those game should be applauded. Just makes me pause for a moment when I see a limited number of top-tier teams. That's all.

Reactions: supergreennole
3 more wins and FSU fans get to defend “you only win because of the refs” and “look at the foul/FT disparity.”

You’re almost “FSU gets all of the calls!”

Keep it up!
Our free throw disparity in conference this year is a real travesty. It's actually a credit to the record. We do play an aggressive style on defense, and play a lot of people, so we can handle a lot of fouls. But we also take the ball to the hoop a lot, and aren't necessarily rewarded consistently when contact comes from the opponent.

It is definitely an "in the moment" kind of conclusion. Stats can tell a lot of stories but not a lot of truths. I do think that we have the talent, along with the atmosphere, to back this up regularly but it takes more volume of games to overcome somewhere like Phog or Rupp or Cameron, etc
One of my very best friends is a diehard FSU fan. I've been so happy for him this season. He's lived in Kentucky a big part of his life, and always would mention how not a lot of people around Tally or campus cared about FSU basketball like he did. I wouldn't wanna play FSU at any point this season, you guys have a squad.

I agree, it's a flawed stat. That's why I qualified it and said it doesn't tell the full picture. Again, what FSU has done over the past 4 seasons is really remarkable. Much better than Duke. I just thought it was interesting. The reality is, you're going to lose a couple games to teams that you should beat semi-comfortably. So, holding serve on all of those game should be applauded. Just makes me pause for a moment when I see a limited number of top-tier teams. That's all.
We would love to have the chance to welcome more name opponents in a given year. We just had the luck of the draw this year where we welcomed UNC from the Blue bloods to town instead of Duke. I think there have been several years where we played Duke once, and our best teams only got them at Cameron instead of having a chance to play them here.

One of my very best friends is a diehard FSU fan. I've been so happy for him this season. He's lived in Kentucky a big part of his life, and always would mention how not a lot of people around Tally or campus cared about FSU basketball like he did. I wouldn't wanna play FSU at any point this season, you guys have a squad.
Thanks, a tournament appearance where we get to play UK and Sparty and tournament stalwarts to make it all the way is a dream that many of us have. However, despite the success, it still is tough to find people that are both a fan and knowledgeable. We just don't have a fanbase that has basketball acumen, etiquette, etc. We are still a very footballesque atmosphere where the fans take long stretches to make little noise. Our admin needs to do a better job of marketing and distributing tickets. Our student section is displaced in a bizarre way. Doing what we are doing at this point is staggering because we aren't getting a ton of blue-chippers, we just have a concept that is unique and when its working, devastating.

Thanks, a tournament appearance where we get to play UK and Sparty and tournament stalwarts to make it all the way is a dream that many of us have. However, despite the success, it still is tough to find people that are both a fan and knowledgeable. We just don't have a fanbase that has basketball acumen, etiquette, etc. We are still a very footballesque atmosphere where the fans take long stretches to make little noise. Our admin needs to do a better job of marketing and distributing tickets. Our student section is displaced in a bizarre way. Doing what we are doing at this point is staggering because we aren't getting a ton of blue-chippers, we just have a concept that is unique and when its working, devastating.
Its interesting. FSU has always been really into football, and even baseball according to him. But he always had trouble finding fellow students to go to games with or even chat with amongst friends. Winning will solve a lot of things. Keep winning, the fan base will grow.

Its interesting. FSU has always been really into football, and even baseball according to him. But he always had trouble finding fellow students to go to games with or even chat with amongst friends. Winning will solve a lot of things. Keep winning, the fan base will grow.
The thing about the basketball season, besides having the best post season of all the big sports, is the game flow of the game. It is fast paced unless you have a UVA tempo. It is a game of runs and up and down play. We don't have the best atmosphere unless it is a team with a number in front of their name. And, too many of our season ticket holders live in Central florida. So it is hard to have the lower bowl filled for early season contests and midweek conference games. I'm 34, and interact with a fair amount of students here in Tally. If I say anything about basketball, I usually get a shrug and a Go Noles.

Reactions: JimboBBN
We would love to have the chance to welcome more name opponents in a given year. We just had the luck of the draw this year where we welcomed UNC from the Blue bloods to town instead of Duke. I think there have been several years where we played Duke once, and our best teams only got them at Cameron instead of having a chance to play them here.

We only played you once at the Tuck in 2011, when you guys were a Sweet 16 team. Same in 2017 when you were a 3 seed. It happens sometimes.

Get Hamilton to get a home-and-home with Gonzaga. Mark Few will play anywhere. And I know the Zags are anxious to have more big-name teams come out to Spokane.

We only played you once at the Tuck in 2011, when you guys were a Sweet 16 team. Same in 2017 when you were a 3 seed. It happens sometimes.

Get Hamilton to get a home-and-home with Gonzaga. Mark Few will play anywhere. And I know the Zags are anxious to have more big-name teams come out to Spokane.
I would like that matchup. The idea of doing a west coast trip with that as a conclusion is appealing, that way we can handle the time difference. I also hope we get a good opponent in the ACC/B10 challenge next year. It could be our best team ever, and it will be a home game. Would love if we got Michigan State, or Michigan, or Ohio State here. I don't want a team like Wisconsin or Purdue or Rutgers

I would like that matchup. The idea of doing a west coast trip with that as a conclusion is appealing, that way we can handle the time difference. I also hope we get a good opponent in the ACC/B10 challenge next year. It could be our best team ever, and it will be a home game. Would love if we got Michigan State, or Michigan, or Ohio State here. I don't want a team like Wisconsin or Purdue or Rutgers

A lot of those Big Ten-ACC matchups are head-scratchers. Still can't wrap my head around the Maryland-Notre Dame pairing.

I assume you guys will be preseason top 10, so I'm sure you'll get a decent pairing. Btw, who is your projected starting point guard for 2021?

A lot of those Big Ten-ACC matchups are head-scratchers. Still can't wrap my head around the Maryland-Notre Dame pairing.

I assume you guys will be preseason top 10, so I'm sure you'll get a decent pairing. Btw, who is your projected starting point guard for 2021?
That's a good question. Unless someone leaves early(Vassell or Williams) and there is someone out there that is an elite prospect or someone that re-classifies, it'll be a combination of Raiquan Evans and Scottie Barnes as a point-forward. Barnes is really intriguing in that kind of role, but against elite PGs, I'm not sure how that will do. Evans has shown a lot of growth and I think can be a solid contributor. Polite has run point for us in spurts, but isn't the best ball handler. Not really a distributor but can lock down the opposing ball handler very well. When Jones leaves this year(I assume that is the case) I think Polite should get the mantle of the best on ball defender in the ACC, and maybe the country.

Reactions: dukedevilz
That's a good question. Unless someone leaves early(Vassell or Williams) and there is someone out there that is an elite prospect or someone that re-classifies, it'll be a combination of Raiquan Evans and Scottie Barnes as a point-forward. Barnes is really intriguing in that kind of role, but against elite PGs, I'm not sure how that will do. Evans has shown a lot of growth and I think can be a solid contributor. Polite has run point for us in spurts, but isn't the best ball handler. Not really a distributor but can lock down the opposing ball handler very well. When Jones leaves this year(I assume that is the case) I think Polite should get the mantle of the best on ball defender in the ACC, and maybe the country.

I was thinking maybe a graduate transfer, but I know that can be risky, especially if you have to rely on someone who hasn't been playing against top-level talent.

You guys played against Western Carolina earlier in the year. Their starting point guard, Mason Faulkner, should be available as a grad transfer. He might be worth a look.

I was thinking maybe a graduate transfer, but I know that can be risky, especially if you have to rely on someone who hasn't been playing against top-level talent.

You guys played against Western Carolina earlier in the year. Their starting point guard, Mason Faulkner, should be available as a grad transfer. He might be worth a look.
They have worked out before. Nichols was great for us last year, and I still contend that if he didn't get hurt in the tournament, we would have gotten past Gonzaga. He just had a knack for hitting a three, making a steal, doing something to impact the game when it was close toward the last 10 minutes. At any rate, I don't know how our roster stacks up yet until guys make choices to stay or leave, but our only senior is Dom. I think it is likely that one of Vassell and Williams leaves. We have 1 open scholarship right now, and two commits, so even if neither one leaves we will be okay as far as limits go. I can't imagine if this team is intact next year with the additions of Barnes and Calhoun. I'd say we would have to be top 5 preseason, and maybe even 1 or 2. Uncharted territory for sure.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Speaking of grad transfers, you have any insight where Seth Towns is going to end up? I would love to see UVA get involved. Add in Towns and Hauser to our foundation and recruiting class and I really like next year's team.

ADVERTISEMENT