ADVERTISEMENT

Is FSU's Tucker Center now the hardest place to play in college basketball?

nole96

Oct 9, 2002
FSU is an NCAA best 57-3 in their last 60 home games. The three losses were to Virginia by 4 points, Louisville by 4 points, and Duke by 2 points on a buzzer beater.

Last edited:
FSU is an NCAA best 57-3 in their last 60 home games. The three losses were to Virginia by 4 points, Louisville by 4 points, and Duke by 2 points on a buzzer beater.
I'd put Mackey Arena up there with any home court in college basketball. Purdue is 69-5 since the '15-16 season at home.

In the past two-plus seasons, their only home losses have been by 4 to Texas and by 1 to Ohio State, while going 37-2 during that stretch.

When UNC is good, we have a tough time in that arena. We've had a couple memorable wins there, but that's cause the games were so closely contested.

When UNC is good, we have a tough time in that arena. We've had a couple memorable wins there, but that's cause the games were so closely contested.

I was courtside for the game Ty Lawson hit a game winner from like 45 feet. Brutal loss.

I was also in the stands for Harrison Barnes’ game winner. Really well drawn up play.

But my favorite UNC/FSU game in Tally was what we call “The Dulkys Game.” Kid had like 7 threes and FSU won by 40ish. Roy took all the starters into the locker room early and had the walkons finish out the game with the assistant coaches.

I was courtside for the game Ty Lawson hit a game winner from like 45 feet. Brutal loss.

I was also in the stands for Harrison Barnes’ game winner. Really well drawn up play.

But my favorite UNC/FSU game in Tally was what we call “The Dulkys Game.” Kid had like 7 threes and FSU won by 40ish. Roy took all the starters into the locker room early and had the walkons finish out the game with the assistant coaches.

I remember that so well. Blue Steel got left behind.

Bunny Colvin hasn’t aged a bit. He always has good, athletic, tough teams.

Reactions: GE Nole
I remember that so well. Blue Steel got left behind.

Bunny Colvin hasn’t aged a bit. He always has good, athletic, tough teams.

Being around this program for the last 15 years, it’s been incredible to see the selfless culture Ham has created. Lots of coaches talk about being makers of men but he truly lives it. I mean, the dude plays 10-11 players a game and they’d all run through a brick wall for him and each other. Even our one and dones have that same “bigger than myself” mentality.

Not always the most skilled (though that’s improved the last 4-5 years), but like you said tough, athletic, and long.

I’m strongly so considering heading up to Durham for our Big Monday game in February. I went to State undergrad but haven’t been to Durham in a while—probably since 2009. Any suggestions? Is there a Marriott worth it in Durham?

I don't remember that last game... probably for good reason.

The Ty game was epic. Another one I was thinking of was Brice Johnson scoring 39pts, 23rebounds... We scored 106 points in that game.

Even our best teams usually struggle in Tallahassee. That's why when we win it stands out.

I don't remember that last game... probably for good reason.

The Ty game was epic. Another one I was thinking of was Brice Johnson scoring 39pts, 23rebounds... We scored 106 points in that game.

Even our best teams usually struggle in Tallahassee. That's why when we win it stands out.

I was at the Brice Johnson team. We just did not defend that year. Had too many guys who wanted to gamble on D instead of get in a stance and bear down. That’s why it was an NIT team.

You seriously don’t remember the one that was like 92-58 or something? Both teams were ranked. Game day was in Tally.

Reactions: j-doolsheels
I was at the Brice Johnson team. We just did not defend that year. Had too many guys who wanted to gamble on D instead of get in a stance and bear down. That’s why it was an NIT team.

You seriously don’t remember the one that was like 92-58 or something? Both teams were ranked. Game day was in Tally.

I vaguely remember it. Losses that are that lopsided, I usually move on from. I just know that @FSU games are going to be good, unless we stink.

I just looked it up 90-57 congrats, you beat the piss out of one of the best UNC teams in recent memory. Uk and UNC were considered the two best teams by many experts that season. Marshall broke his thumb in the sweet 16 game I believe, and at that point we were sitting ducks. For the most part I've blocked that game out. Michael Snaer had a good game as well as Dulkys. You guys went on a 30-8 run to start the second half. I was thinking you beat the 10' team like that, not the 12' team.

I vaguely remember it. Losses that are that lopsided, I usually move on from. I just know that @FSU games are going to be good, unless we stink.

I just looked it up 90-57 congrats, you beat the piss out of one of the best UNC teams in recent memory. Uk and UNC were considered the two best teams by many experts that season. Marshall broke his thumb in the sweet 16 game I believe, and at that point we were sitting ducks. For the most part I've blocked that game out. Michael Snaer had a good game as well as Dulkys. You guys went on a 30-8 run to start the second half. I was thinking you beat the 10' team like that, not the 12' team.

Yeah it was just one of those games. When the lead was 15 or so I kept thinking, “don’t get excited yet, UNC has a lot of firepower.” But the shots just kept falling and in the blink of an eye the lead was 30.

FSU seemed to have y’alls number that year. Beat UNC (and Duke) in the ACC tourney too.

Being around this program for the last 15 years, it’s been incredible to see the selfless culture Ham has created. Lots of coaches talk about being makers of men but he truly lives it. I mean, the dude plays 10-11 players a game and they’d all run through a brick wall for him and each other. Even our one and dones have that same “bigger than myself” mentality.

Not always the most skilled (though that’s improved the last 4-5 years), but like you said tough, athletic, and long.

I’m strongly so considering heading up to Durham for our Big Monday game in February. I went to State undergrad but haven’t been to Durham in a while—probably since 2009. Any suggestions? Is there a Marriott worth it in Durham?
Durham has changed a lot since 09. You’ll be able to find a good place in Durham. I’ve been staying in Chapel Hill the last couple years with friends I have there. Also not a bad option.

Durham has changed a lot since 09. You’ll be able to find a good place in Durham. I’ve been staying in Chapel Hill the last couple years with friends I have there. Also not a bad option.

Thanks.

Gonzaga has the longest home winning streak in the country at 33 games. They've won 48 of the last 50 - and also had a 41 game home winning streak back in 2015. Okay, competition isn't as good. But, still impressive.

Gonzaga has the longest home winning streak in the country at 33 games. They've won 48 of the last 50 - and also had a 41 game home winning streak back in 2015. Okay, competition isn't as good. But, still impressive.

Does Gonzaga ever have a tough non-con opponent come out to the Kennel? Or is it just WCC opponents and a few meh OOC?

Does Gonzaga ever have a tough non-con opponent come out to the Kennel? Or is it just WCC opponents and a few meh OOC?

Mostly meh. You can usually expect 2-3 decent opponents a year. Here are some of the Non-conference opponents from the past 10 years.

North Carolina
Texas A&M
Washington x2
Utah State
Creighton
San Diego State x2
UCLA
Arizona
SMU
St.Joseph's
Washington State x2
New Mexico State
West Virginia
Illinois
Kansas State
Baylor
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Butler
Xavier
Oklahoma State
Memphis

Mostly meh. You can usually expect 2-3 decent opponents a year. Here are some of the Non-conference opponents from the past 10 years.

North Carolina
Texas A&M
Washington x2
Utah State
Creighton
San Diego State x2
UCLA
Arizona
SMU
St.Joseph's
Washington State x2
New Mexico State
West Virginia
Illinois
Kansas State
Baylor
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Butler
Xavier
Oklahoma State
Memphis

aren’t some of those neutral site games?

aren’t some of those neutral site games?

No. All of those game were played in Spokane. If we included neutral court games, the list would be much, much longer. For the record, I don't think what Gonzaga has done is as impressive as FSU. Just think it's noteworthy.

Reactions: speedfrk
During the 58-3, I would say a little more than half of the games were respectable opponents. In other words, teams that people would give a legit chance to win the game.

Florida (2x)

Duke (2x)

Virginia (2x)

Syracuse

Louisville (2x)

Minnesota

Purdue

Notre Dame (2x)

North Carolina

Clemson (3x)

NC State (2x)

Boston College (2x)

Virginia Tech (2x)

Pittsburgh

Miami (3x)

Georgia Tech (3x)

Wake Forest (2x)

No. All of those game were played in Spokane. If we included neutral court games, the list would be much, much longer. For the record, I don't think what Gonzaga has done is as impressive as FSU. Just think it's noteworthy.

agreed. I was legitimately asking a question. No agenda.

Reactions: dukedevilz

North Carolina
Texas A&M
Washington x2
Utah State
Creighton
San Diego State x2
UCLA
Arizona
SMU
St.Joseph's
Washington State x2
New Mexico State
West Virginia
Illinois
Kansas State
Baylor
Notre Dame
Michigan State
Butler
Xavier
Oklahoma State
Memphis

That’s actually pretty darn impressive. I didn’t realize that many power teams were playing true road games against Gonzaga. Tip of the cap to them.

Reactions: dukedevilz
That’s actually pretty darn impressive. I didn’t realize that many power teams were playing true road games against Gonzaga. Tip of the cap to them.

Fortunately, teams are okay going to Spokane because losing to Gonzaga on the road isn't going to hurt them. They finally got a blue blood to come out this year - just happened to be a serious down year for UNC.

Kentucky is 177 and 10 at Rupp since Cal has been here (09-10 season)

Would be interested to see FSU's record since the beginning of that season at home.

Would be interested to see FSU's record since the beginning of that season at home.

Not near as good because we were a pretty bad team in 2013, 2015, and 2016. Like, barely above .500.

Also note, UK's all time winning record, going back to "The first home court for the Wildcats was simply called "The Gymnasium" or State College Gymnasium until 1910", is 1174-172 (85.35) per wiki. (.911 Alumni Gym), (.890 Memorial Coliseum), (.892 Rupp Arena).

Calipari has holded court.

Calipari has holded court.
giphy.gif

Maybe I'm missing it but wiki doesn't list Allen Fieldhouse record, but this is interesting.

ESPN The Magazine named Allen Fieldhouse the loudest college basketball arena in the country.[5][12] The arena broke the Guinness World Record for loudest roar on February 13, 2017, against West Virginia at 130.4 dB.[13] The prior record of 126.4 dB at Lexington's Rupp Arena which lasted less than three weeks also had many Kansas fans present as the Jayhawks beat the #4 Wildcats 79-73 in the Big 12/SEC Challenge.[14]

Allen Fieldhouse is often considered one of the best home court advantages in men's college basketball.[15][16][17][18] The Jayhawks have won over 70 percent of their games in Allen Fieldhouse, losing only a little over 100 games in its over 60-year history

Cameron Indoor.

Home court advantage[edit]
Records at Cameron Indoor Stadium
All-Time: 832–154 (.844)[11]
Coach K: 474–59 (.889)[11]
Since 1997-98: 266–17 (.940)[11]

Duke is 179-12 (.937) at home since the 2004–05 season, second only to Allen Fieldhouse in winning percentage at home.

ADVERTISEMENT