ADVERTISEMENT

Is Dan Hurley Special?

Is he the next legacy coach, or did he just have some fortune at the right time?

@Erock-conn, @Deepelm, @Five Nattys
He may be.

He seems to be a good game day coach, a good recruiter, manages the transfers well and he develops his players. He plays in a weak conference but the teams appears to be more than ready for the NCAA.

More power to him.

Reactions: Sparty_57
He may be.

He seems to be a good game day coach, a good recruiter, manages the transfers well and he develops his players. He plays in a weak conference but the teams appears to be more than ready for the NCAA.

More power to him.
I have said this before but I played pickup with him a few times while my older brother was at Seton Hall. What you see is what you get. Total lunatic. There is an alternate world where he is Jem from The Town. He's not the greatest offensive mind but has an incredible staff. And he finds guys that buy into how he wants to play which is how his old man wanted to play. Rat Face Coach K was not a great or even good game day coach. But, he was incredible at culture building, talent acquisition, building a staff, etc. And you are either playing his way or you are gone, which is very hard in 2024. I came around on Hurley but I think he is the goods. Not because he can design an out of bounds play or whatever like a Brad Stevens but because he has built a machine. If UConn keeps up in the NIL world, he will be there a long time. And I suspect when he leaves, he will do it and just go like Roy Williams, not want a year long parade like Rat Face.
My HS basketball coach would light you up with a monsoon of eff bombs and get in your face when you messed up. That's not for everyone but it's great for some. But it has to include having your back with a ref or taking a call years down the road. I think Hurley is like that. Seems pretty genuine.

I have said this before but I played pickup with him a few times while my older brother was at Seton Hall. What you see is what you get. Total lunatic. There is an alternate world where he is Jem from The Town. He's not the greatest offensive mind but has an incredible staff. And he finds guys that buy into how he wants to play which is how his old man wanted to play. Rat Face Coach K was not a great or even good game day coach. But, he was incredible at culture building, talent acquisition, building a staff, etc. And you are either playing his way or you are gone, which is very hard in 2024. I came around on Hurley but I think he is the goods. Not because he can design an out of bounds play or whatever like a Brad Stevens but because he has built a machine. If UConn keeps up in the NIL world, he will be there a long time. And I suspect when he leaves, he will do it and just go like Roy Williams, not want a year long parade like Rat Face.
My HS basketball coach would light you up with a monsoon of eff bombs and get in your face when you messed up. That's not for everyone but it's great for some. But it has to include having your back with a ref or taking a call years down the road. I think Hurley is like that. Seems pretty genuine.

So who's responsible for their offensive greatness the last few years?

Is it coincidence that they started killing it after Luke Murray joined the staff?

K won more games than any other men's coach in history, went to 13 final fours, won 5 National championships, and wasn't even a "good" game day coach? Wow....what a lucky SOB!!! 🤣

It's better to be lucky than good but back to back titles means you're doing something right. I thought the first title was catching lightning in a bottle with right team at right time and he'd go back to be a good to very good coach but not great. Last year showed I don't know anything haha.

He couldn't get out of the round of 32 his first four tournaments before the first title but it's definitely possible he figured it out and is on the path to becoming an all time great. Will be interesting to see how long he can continue this run. History has shown that continuing "the process" is next to impossible on a long term basis. Assistants leave, injury bug arrives, some new guys want the glory without the work, etc. The next five years will answer it once and for all.

It's better to be lucky than good but back to back titles means you're doing something right. I thought the first title was catching lightning in a bottle with right team at right time and he'd go back to be a good to very good coach but not great. Last year showed I don't know anything haha.

He couldn't get out of the round of 32 his first four tournaments before the first title but it's definitely possible he figured it out and is on the path to becoming an all time great. Will be interesting to see how long he can continue this run. History has shown that continuing "the process" is next to impossible on a long term basis. Assistants leave, injury bug arrives, some new guys want the glory without the work, etc. The next five years will answer it once and for all.
Anyone expecting a three peat, needs to quit watching hoops. BUT----this team on paper, is capable. His system is crazy good. And he recruits to it...Kids get better under him. So don't be surprised if Ball, Diarra and Karban make huge leaps. Add what he's brought in, and--------------Yikes.

But like you stated---its hard as **** , if not impossible to maintain these type of "runs"---Look at K. What, 5 straight FF's? 7 in like a 9 or 10 year span? Then things sort of leveled out.

Hurley, IMO, is capable of that type of run.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Anyone expecting a three peat, needs to quit watching hoops. BUT----this team on paper, is capable. His system is crazy good. And he recruits to it...Kids get better under him. So don't be surprised if Ball, Diarra and Karban make huge leaps. Add what he's brought in, and--------------Yikes.

But like you stated---its hard as **** , if not impossible to maintain these type of "runs"---Look at K. What, 5 straight FF's? 7 in like a 9 or 10 year span? Then things sort of leveled out.

Hurley, IMO, is capable of that type of run.

That was a little easier to accomplish when you had Laettners and Grant Hills staying four years. Now those guys bail after a year.

So who's responsible for their offensive greatness the last few years?

Is it coincidence that they started killing it after Luke Murray joined the staff?
I’m really surprised someone didn’t hire Murray off that staff after last year. I was wishing someone would.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
K won more games than any other men's coach in history, went to 13 final fours, won 5 National championships, and wasn't even a "good" game day coach? Wow....what a lucky SOB!!! 🤣
I think he got outcoached in a lot of big spots against much less talented teams. A lot. Izzo in that Elite 8 game about five years ago. Duke was favored against Louisville and was up until the end. Crum outcoached him. Calhoun put him in a blender in the 1999 title game. Check out those rosters. Close and late he was pretty bad in big games. He had over 20 teams that were ranked #1 in the country at one point. Listen, sign me up for the ultimate talent acquirer, culture builder, skills developer. Just not great in game. No shame in being incredible at the more important things in building a program and less so at that.

I think he got outcoached in a lot of big spots against much less talented teams. A lot. Izzo in that Elite 8 game about five years ago. Duke was favored against Louisville and was up until the end. Crum outcoached him. Calhoun put him in a blender in the 1999 title game. Check out those rosters. Close and late he was pretty bad in big games. He had over 20 teams that were ranked #1 in the country at one point. Listen, sign me up for the ultimate talent acquirer, culture builder, skills developer. Just not great in game. No shame in being incredible at the more important things in building a program and less so at that.
To be fair, if you coach as long as K did, you are going to have lots of poor performances as a coach, including many in the tourney. It's only natural to when you coach that long...happens to all coaches who don't even coach half as long as K did.

That aside, my favorite K coaching collapse was in the 1998 Elite 8 vs UK. Duke had a 17 point lead with 9 minutes left in the game. Inexplicably, K started burning his timeouts whenever UK would make a couple baskets. By the 4 min mark, Duke had no timeouts left haha. Tubby just let the guys keep on playing down the stretch, as he knew K had burned all his timeouts. Awful coaching by K, terrific by Tubby.

GPYtCq9bcAA1dOb

Would be brutal for UConn to lose their coach in June. If I understood correctly, UConn was going to re-negotiate Hurley's contract after he said no to Kentucky. Don't think he can leverage his employer anymore, at least in such a short time period, so I'd guess he probably will leave for the Lakers.

Next 12-24 hours should be especially tense for UConn fans.

GPYtCq9bcAA1dOb

Would be brutal for UConn to lose their coach in June. If I understood correctly, UConn was going to re-negotiate Hurley's contract after he said no to Kentucky. Don't think he can leverage his employer anymore, at least in such a short time period, so I'd guess he probably will leave for the Lakers.

That truly is brutal for the University and of course the players. He may be the best head coach in the NCAA.
I do bet tha UConn will land on it's feet, but I would go with an assistant to coach this season, because not many good coaches are going to leave their programs in June.

Yeah I think he will take the Lakers offer, brutal for UConn fans. From a possible 3-peat to irrelevance in the next 5 years, they will rebound eventually though.

Reactions: RyanJamesIII
Hurley's attitude will have to change when it comes to certain things but if this happens and he bounces who will UConn call, Jay Wright?

GPYtCq9bcAA1dOb

Is this why UConn fans have been quiet lately? 😆

If the Lakers want him, I’d lean towards not great. Rob Pelinka is top 5 most inept GM’s in sports

The Lakers will chew him up and spit him out and he'll be back to looking for another NCAA job in a couple years. He should def stay at UConn. Dude has never left the northeast anyway. Why would he go to LA of all places?

Reactions: cdbearde
GPYtCq9bcAA1dOb

6xkI0Bn.gif

I don't disagree that he got out coached in a lot of games. That happens to all coaches. The part I cant buy is that he was not a good in game coach. I don't see any way possible you can do this just based off of recruiting and culture and not be a good coach.....( Some of these may not be completely up to date )

Five national championships (1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2015)
Six gold medals as head coach of the U.S. Men’s National Team
Nine National Players of the Year (11 honors)
Six National Defensive Players of the Year (nine honors)
10 consecutive top-10 AP poll finishes (1997-06)
12 National Coach of the Year honors (eight seasons)
13 Final Four appearances (most in NCAA history)
14 ACC regular season championships
15 ACC Tournament championships (most in league history)
28 NBA Lottery picks (most in Draft history)
36 NCAA Tournament bids (most by one coach)
38 All-America selections (52 honors)
69 ACC Tournament wins (most in league history)
68 NBA Draft selections, including 42 first-round picks
101 NCAA Tournament wins (most in NCAA history)
127 weeks ranked No. 1 in the AP poll (most by a coach in poll history)
535 ACC wins (most in league history)
575 weeks ranked in the top 10 of the AP poll (most by a coach in poll history)
668 weeks ranked in the AP poll (most by a coach in poll history)
1,129 victories at Duke (most in NCAA history at one school)
1,202 career wins (most in NCAA history)

Reactions: dukedevilz
GPYtCq9bcAA1dOb

Dude looks like a penis that hasn't seen sunlight in 50 years.

Now, there's a dick with a tan!

ADVERTISEMENT