ADVERTISEMENT

Is Dan Hurley Special?

The Lakers will chew him up and spit him out and he'll be back to looking for another NCAA job in a couple years. He should def stay at UConn. Dude has never left the northeast anyway. Why would he go to LA of all places?
Why would he go? Generational $$$

That was a little easier to accomplish when you had Laettners and Grant Hills staying four years. Now those guys bail after a year.
Very true....

But NIL, portal has sort of evened that out.

I think he got outcoached in a lot of big spots against much less talented teams. A lot. Izzo in that Elite 8 game about five years ago. Duke was favored against Louisville and was up until the end. Crum outcoached him. Calhoun put him in a blender in the 1999 title game. Check out those rosters. Close and late he was pretty bad in big games. He had over 20 teams that were ranked #1 in the country at one point. Listen, sign me up for the ultimate talent acquirer, culture builder, skills developer. Just not great in game. No shame in being incredible at the more important things in building a program and less so at that.
Bro...… You just named 3 HOF coaches....with 6 National titles---which by the way is ONLY one more than K has by himself...

Anyways.....Talk about reaching. Yeah K is a bad game day coach because he once got outcoached by three HOF'ers…

JFC...

I heard 5y, 18m per. And he wouldn't have to deal with recruits and portal bullshit?

If that's true, he'll be in LA yesterday.
Lakers cannot be this inept? There are probably 50 dudes in the NBA coaching circle, that would bemuch more qualified, and better for an NBA job.

NCAA coaches go to the NBA to die. NBA coaches go to NCAA jobs to die.

Youd think someone would have figured this out by now

Reactions: Random UK Fan
I heard 5y, 18m per. And he wouldn't have to deal with recruits and portal bullshit?

If that's true, he'll be in LA yesterday.

And you know he's going to have all kinds of perks in that contract. If he does take that job and flames out in a few years he can always come back to college.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Nothing against UConn, but I really don't like that trashy skoo! Would be funny if our Pope became the new Hurley after Hurley goes to LA and promptly does a belly flop. I mean, what vindication for Pope after all the hand wringing about Hurley turning us down. A man can dream I guess.

Better throw her down the stairs before he signs on the dotted line.
200w.gif

Can Hurley thrive in the NBA with his abrasive personality? Feel like he would rub a lot of players the wrong way. In college, you're the face of the program - and you're the highest-paid employee. You are the LAW. In the NBA, the players run the show; they're 100x more recognizable, and the star players are compensated significantly more than the coach. Not sure players will embrace Hurley's demands.

If he takes the job, it wouldn't be all that surprising to see him at St. John's or Seton Hall in 3-5 years.

Lakers cannot be this inept? There are probably 50 dudes in the NBA coaching circle, that would bemuch more qualified, and better for an NBA job.

NCAA coaches go to the NBA to die. NBA coaches go to NCAA jobs to die.

Youd think someone would have figured this out by now

I think that's mainly because college coaches tend to take shitty NBA jobs.

I think he got outcoached in a lot of big spots against much less talented teams. A lot. Izzo in that Elite 8 game about five years ago. Duke was favored against Louisville and was up until the end. Crum outcoached him. Calhoun put him in a blender in the 1999 title game. Check out those rosters. Close and late he was pretty bad in big games. He had over 20 teams that were ranked #1 in the country at one point. Listen, sign me up for the ultimate talent acquirer, culture builder, skills developer. Just not great in game. No shame in being incredible at the more important things in building a program and less so at that.
Izzo has a 3-13 record against Coach K.

I think that's mainly because college coaches tend to take shitty NBA jobs.
Meh.....Just a totally different game. College greats'pro greats, stayed where they knew. Few have succeeded.

Donovan has been decent. But has only been past 1st round of playoffs once. OKC/Bulls. Not shitty jobs by any means...Only been to playoffs 6/10 years.

Pitino was 102-146 with Boston

Cal was 72-112 Nets

Stevens was solid @ Boston--354-252. Made playoffs in 7/8 seasons. Conf finals 3X.

Krueger, Belein, PJ Carlesimo----Woof.

NBA is just simply a different animal

Hurley flew back back from LA to Connecticut without signing. According to Rick Pitino, he has heard that Bob Hurley Sr as well as Dan’s wife Andrea are against the move. We shall hear shortly over the weekend or latest by Monday of Hurley’s decision.

Nothing against UConn, but I really don't like that trashy skoo! Would be funny if our Pope became the new Hurley after Hurley goes to LA and promptly does a belly flop. I mean, what vindication for Pope after all the hand wringing about Hurley turning us down. A man can dream I guess.
Trashy school? One of the top public universities in the nation. Something Kentucky can only aspire to.

• Haha
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Woof

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Per Adrian Woj,

UConn coach Dan Hurley plans to make a decision on his future Monday, he tells ESPN. Lakers made a "compelling case" to him in LA but he loves what he's built with the two-time defending national champions and is weighing it all now
I think that Rivals should allow you to update your handle to Six Nattys or Five Nattys Plus One. Five Nattys Plus is better in case you have to make it Five Nattys Plus Two next year.

ADVERTISEMENT