ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Has The Best Fans. Change My Mind.

Fantastic. And where did Iowa finish? Try 25th.

Here are some other facts:
- 2016 was the only year under Fran's tenure where Iowa finished in the top 25 (and finished at #25)
- Fran has never made it to the second weekend of the tournament
- Iowa is the 8th best Big Ten program this decade
- Iowa hasn't had a season with single-digit losses since 2006
- The 4 NBA player you mentioned have combined to play less than 60 games in the league.

Iowa isn't a dumpster-fire program. But please, try pumping the brakes a little. You have serious tunnel vision.

and that SR class was rated 25th by ESPN plus that team only had 2 4* top 100 players by Rivals and 3 4* top 100 players by ESPN these were those players
RSSR Uthoff 1st Team All BT and 2nd Team AA
Gesell
Woodbury

compare that team to today's team that has 4 top 100 4*'s and 2 more outside their top 100
PG Toussaint
PG Jordan will RS.
CG Connor top 100
SF/WG Wieskamp top 100
F Patrick top 100
C Garza top 100
that shows that Fran can start 4 top 100 4* and a 4* just outside the top 100.
maybe its you that needs to admit that this team its players are far better than you want to give them credit for.

Fantastic. And where did Iowa finish? Try 25th.

Here are some other facts:
- 2016 was the only year under Fran's tenure where Iowa finished in the top 25 (and finished at #25)
- Fran has never made it to the second weekend of the tournament
- Iowa is the 8th best Big Ten program this decade
- Iowa hasn't had a season with single-digit losses since 2006
- The 4 NBA player you mentioned have combined to play less than 60 games in the league.

Iowa isn't a dumpster-fire program. But please, try pumping the brakes a little. You have serious tunnel vision.

to comtinue this years team also can go a solid 2 deep at each position
PG 6'0 Toussaint backup 6'5 Connor or 6'2 Evelyn [GT]
SG 6'4 Fredrick backup 6'5 Connor or 6'2 Evelyn
SF 6'6 Wieskamp backup 6'8 Patrick
PF 7'0 Nunge backup 6'8 Pemsl
C 6'11 Garza backup 6'9 Kriener or 7'0 Nunge
#11 Till
#12 Jordan RS'ing.

this team has more depth and more talent than that team did.

and that SR class was rated 25th by ESPN plus that team only had 2 4* top 100 players by Rivals and 3 4* top 100 players by ESPN these were those players
Gesell
Woodbury

compare that team to today's team that has 4 top 100 4*'s and 2 more outside their top 100
PG Toussaint
PG Jordan will RS.
CG Connor top 100
SF/WG Wieskamp top 100
F Patrick top 100
C Garza top 100
maybe its you that needs to admit that this team its players are far better than you want to give them credit for.

You realize there are 4 to 5 recruiting classes in the college landscape at this moment. Being top 100 in High School has nothing to do with Top 150 in college at this moment.

You realize there are 4 to 5 recruiting classes in the college landscape at this moment. Being top 100 in High School has nothing to do with Top 150 in college at this moment.
true dat but Garza was a All BT FR Teamer and last year dispite that surgery was still the teams 2nd leading scorer @13.1 ppg. not to mention ended up a All BT Honorable mention,

with Cook gone this year Garza become the go to in the middle for Iowa, this means he will get more touches and the opportunity to lead the team in rebounding.

this is what is being forgotten/over looked
Cook was the MAN in the middle and that's why he is now in the NBA after his JR season, something has to give if Garza leads the team in rebounding that means that Cook's rebounding number had to go down.

Cook led the team in rebounding all 3 years as he started all 3 years,

true dat but Garza was a All BT FR Teamer and last year dispite that surgery was still the teams 2nd leading scorer @13.1 ppg. not to mention ended up a All BT Honorable mention,

with Cook gone this year Garza become the go to in the middle for Iowa, this means he will get more touches and the opportunity to lead the team in rebounding.

this is what is being forgotten/over looked
Cook was the MAN in the middle and that's why he is now in the NBA after his JR season, something has to give if Garza leads the team in rebounding that means that Cook's rebounding number had to go down.

Cook led the team in rebounding all 3 years as he started all 3 years,
Did Gil just throw in a “true dat”? Awesome.

the biggest problem is this catering to a very select few athletes and nothing more. sorry but 99.9% of the athletes will make money not to mention the cheating will just get harder to do anything about.

they can just claim they are getting what they deserve. doesn't matter if its a couple dollars or a few HUNDRED Thousands Dollars, don't you know that these kids deserve that pay.

Gesell
Woodbury

PG Toussaint
PG Jordan will RS.
CG Connor top 100
SF/WG Wieskamp top 100
F Patrick top 100
C Garza top 100

I like how you have to include ESPN to pump up your rankings. Toussaint isn't ranked by Rivals - he's ranked 293rd by 247. And even by ESPN, he's only the 40th ranked pg - which means he's roughly the 200th best player. Having 40 point guards that are 4* or greater waters-down the meaning of a 4-star recruit. Toussaint is a 3-star recruit.

And you sound like a broken record. Iowa has six 4-star recruits? 1 who won't be play this season. 1 who isn't a top 150 player. And two guys weren't in the top 100 by multiple services (C.McCaffrey and Garza). So yeah, not all that impressive. 70% of P6 schools have multiple 4-star recruits. Unless you're able to pull in multiple guys like Wieskamp, it's going to be the same old results. 2nd round will remain your ceiling. And a 2nd round team (if you make it that far), DOES NOT deserve two players in the top 50.

Let's get back to the top 150 players. This is not an Iowa thread. You are monopolizing the discussion. Should we talk about Colorado for two whole pages? How about Mississippi State? How about Creighton? Those are all good programs. And so is Iowa. But none of those programs merit multiple pages in a thread that is supposed to be much, much broader. Can you talk about anyone besides Iowa?

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I like how you have to include ESPN to pump up your rankings. Toussaint isn't ranked by Rivals - he's ranked 293rd by 247. And even by ESPN, he's only the 40th ranked pg - which means he's roughly the 200th best player. Having 40 point guards that are 4* or greater waters-down the meaning of a 4-star recruit. Toussaint is a 3-star recruit.

And you sound like a broken record. Iowa has six 4-star recruits? 1 who won't be play this season. 1 who isn't a top 150 player. And two guys weren't in the top 100 by multiple services (C.McCaffrey and Garza). So yeah, not all that impressive. 70% of P6 schools have multiple 4-star recruits. Unless you're able to pull in multiple guys like Wieskamp, it's going to be the same old results. 2nd round will remain your ceiling. And a 2nd round team (if you make it that far), DOES NOT deserve two players in the top 50.

Let's get back to the top 150 players. This is not an Iowa thread. You are monopolizing the discussion. Should we talk about Colorado for two whole pages? How about Mississippi State? How about Creighton? Those are all good programs. And so is Iowa. But none of those programs merit multiple pages in a thread that is supposed to be much, much broader. Can you talk about anyone besides Iowa?

There’s a few combos for arranging the words Good. Iowa. Program. Neither of which make any sense.

Reactions: dukedevilz
There’s a few combos for arranging the words Good. Iowa. Program. Neither of which make any sense.

Iowa is not a good basketball program. See. You can make it work!

I was mostly trying to be semi-agreeable. But yes, I think it's safe to say they've been fairly ho-hum. A couple of decent years. KenPom has them ranked as the 9th best Big Ten program since 1997.

131266412815.gif

Reactions: jwardelt
Iowa is not a good basketball program. See. You can make it work!

I was mostly trying to be semi-agreeable. But yes, I think it's safe to say they've been fairly ho-hum. A couple of decent years. KenPom has them ranked as the 9th best Big Ten program since 1997.

9 out of 10. Not bad.

Winking

hmmm Uthoff was a 3* by Rival but a top 100 4* by ESPN look at how that turned out
Jordan was a 2* by 247 and unranked 3* by Rivals and a 4* by ESPN. looks like Jordan made 247 and Rivals look like total idiots
Trey Burks of Michigan was a 3* by 247 and Rivals but a top 100 4* by ESPN.
Talk about making Rivals and 247 look like total fools, note on Burke he had committed to PSU 1st then flipped after their final rankings came out, only ESPN listed as a top 100 4* his entire SR season
Toussaint is also the #1 PG in NYC and the #2 player in the state of NY, by NYCHoops who watched him from his FR season till he graduated. during last summer Toussaint played thru a shoulder injury so it looks like Rivals and 247 didn't really pay any attention to him

Foster suffered a foot injury that requirec surgery to put a pin in his foot to repair the injury, in his 1st game of the AAU season he recorded a triple dbl in scoring, rebounding and blocks, then the injury hampered him and now he is outside the top 50,

as for me if you wouldn't respond there would be no reason for me to respond back

to show how foolish you look Witchita State just made the FF a number years ago and that team had very few 4* players on it, another MVC team reached the FF AND they did not kave multiple 4* players, Creighton, Xavier, Cinncinnati are just of the many teams that are regulars in the NCAAT that aren't loaded with 4* players, also Toussaint is listed as the 6th best player in NY by 247,

last years Iowa's team played without these
7'0 Nunge who RS'd
6'8 Pemsl who had surgery and RS'd
6'4 Fredrick who RS'd
and used a Walk on that was given a scholarship. that gave Fran 10 scholarship players to play AND yet that team won 23 games with 1 in the BTT and the NCAAT.

this season Nunge, Pemsl AND Fredrick will join the returning players and will add in Patrick, GT Evelyn and Toussaint. giving Fran 11 healthy players to use this season.

with 2 at each position being able to play multiple positions in any kind of lineup, a short lineup or a tall lineup, this is not a bubble team. that is the whole point of my objection.
Cook had 92 TO's that will not be missed nor will his lack of aggression on defense or in rebounding
Moss played when he wanted to and disappeared way to often that won't be missed.
6'7 Baer was a Former walk on he is being replaced by 6'8 Patrick top 100 4* to me that is a major upgrade.
Garza is fully healthy at 6'11 262 lbs. he will not get pushed around.
Nunge after the RS is 7'0 246 lbs up from 6'11 225 lbs at the end of his FR season and up from 6'8 185 lb as a incoming FR out of HS,

as for his HS Credentials he was a 2 time All State 1st Teamer and was the runnerup in the voting for Indiana's Mr. BB. give me a 2 time 1st Teamer out of Indiana and runner up to the Mr.BB in every class and I would not even blink.

Toussaint was the finalist for NY Mr. BB. AVG'ing 22.5 ppg, 5.3 apg, 4.7 rpg and 1.7 spg

his main strength his his defense. this is what has hurt Iowa the most the last few years.
Fredrick was named the Gatorade POY after leading his team to the single class state Championship, scoring 900 points in his SR season shooting 48.4 % from 3 making 103 3's in his SR season. he played PG for his team. and is projected to be the starting SG for Iowa.

this team is actually in a better position that they have been the last 4 seasons and far better than they were from the 12-13 season thru the 15-16 seasons when the made the NCAAT 3 times and winning 2 1st rnd games then losing to the #2 seed Gonzaga then to #2 seed Villinova who went on to win the NCAAT Championship.

so its not like Iowa has lost to 9 seeds or lower in the 2nd rnd, even last year Iowa a 10 seed and beat the 7 seed in the 1st rnd then lost to #2 seed Tennessee in OT in the 2nd rnd.

Sorry OP your thread has been officially Gilliganned.
then I guess the OP should be carefull about who he labels a bubble team and who should be ranked where, all on his eye test W/O knowing all the details reguarding certain players.

you don't want me responding don't make at best foolish lists. when they don't know everything about the players.

then I guess the OP should be carefull about who he labels a bubble team and who should be ranked where, all on his eye test W/O knowing all the details reguarding certain players.

you don't want me responding don't make at best foolish lists. when they don't know everything about the players.

Would love to see your list. It would make my heart smile.

Would love to see your list. It would make my heart smile.
it should but then again I won't waste these posters times by putting a arbitrary list together that is based solely on opinion and nothing else.

W/O no real research put into it,

How many Iowa guys do you think you would put in a top 250 list?
these 4 would be in the top 150 at worst
Jordan top 100
Wieskamp top 50
Garza top 100
Patrick till proven other wise borderline top 150
Connor 151 AND down.

after that in the top 250
Nunge based on his accolades out of HS
Fredrick HS Accolades
Toussaint HS Accolades

most of these are just getting started. to say they don't, Garza in the only upperclassman being a JR. these will all be back for the 20-21 season.

Jordan top 100
Wieskamp top 50
Garza top 100
Connor 151 AND down.

Fredrick HS Accolades
Toussaint HS Accolades

most of these are just getting started. to say they don't, Garza in the only upperclassman being a JR. these will all be back for the 20-21 season.
Congrats on the upcoming 37-2 season with a national title.

Congrats on the upcoming 37-2 season with a national title.
they have to play 40 games not 39. don't expect a NT this year but a sweet 16 is very real possibility the 2021 season looks like a very good season for a nice run.

Jordon coming back will be huge as when the bracketts came out they were at best a 3 seed to a 5 seed
now with him being out they are a 10 seed to the 2nd 4 out,.

getting Jordan and losing just backups in Kriener and GT Evelyn plus adding at least Ulis and 2 maybe 3 more, will just make this team deeper.

they have to play 40 games not 39. don't expect a NT this year but a sweet 16 is very real possibility the 2021 season looks like a very good season for a nice run.

Jordon coming back will be huge as when the bracketts came out they were at best a 3 seed to a 5 seed
now with him being out they are a 10 seed to the 2nd 4 out,.

getting Jordan and losing just backups in Kriener and GT Evelyn plus adding at least Ulis and 2 maybe 3 more, will just make this team deeper.

What record would be acceptable for Fran?

What record would be unacceptable for Fran?

Probably not the most accurate list out there. But, here's my top 150. I'm sure I missed a few.

21. Tres Tinkle, Oregon State

Your list is great.

I haven't gone through this entire thread, and hopefully I'm not the first to say this.

I hope Tres Tinkle pisses on everybody this year.

Your list is great.

I haven't gone through this entire thread, and hopefully I'm not the first to say this.

I hope Tres Tinkle pisses on everybody this year.

Gotta love the name. I love Tinkle. Feel bad he's had to play on average teams. Ethan Thompson is a quality teammate, though. Kylor Kelley was in the top 5 in blocks in the country. Their depth is amazingly weak. If Oregon State is going to make it to the NCAAs, Tinkle has to absolutely carry this team.

Is Lykes the midget PG? If yes, I'm going to passionately disagree with you on your stone cold take on him.

That's him. Athlon had him at 65. Don't get me wrong, he's still an elite player. I have him at 109. When I say he's ranked too high, I mean something like a good 20-30 places too high. An another post, I mentioned that I had roughly 15 players from each power conference in the top 150. So players in the 51-100 range are essentially 2nd Team All-Conference performers.

I believe Lykes is capable of being 2nd Team All-Conference. I just think his chances will be hurt a little bit because in an ideal scenario Miami is .500 in the ACC. He's a great scorer, but he doesn't exactly fill up the box score like other point guards.

Wow. Just WOW! Isn't this guy like 50 years old? This is a dude that had a once promising career. I hope he does well out there.

lol seems like it. Sat out 2018 as a transfer. Then he sat out 2019 as a medical redshirt after rupturing his Achilles tendon. He's 23 and has two years of eligibility. If he's healthy, he will have a monster season. And New Mexico could be a very scary mid-major. They have Zane Martin, a transfer from Towson, who averaged close to 20 points per game. And they also have Carlton Bragg (Kansas transfer), Vance Jackson (UConn transfer) and JJ Caldwell (Texas A&M transfer). Would not be surprised at all to see them give Utah State a run for their money in the Mountain West.

I could see this guy breaking out this year. Or maybe the next. Pretty raw, I don't know much about him but if he's a hard worker I saw some talent there last year.

He's a nice player. And he might have more opportunities because Bryan Antoine will miss a good 10-15 games to start the season. That means more shots for him - if he gets comfortable, he could potentially be the go-to scorer for Nova. I just see Nova's main cogs being Jeremiah Robinson-Earl and Collin Gillespie. And if Antoine returns to form, I think his talent might overshadow Bey. But, it wouldn't be completely unexpected if he were to turn the corner. He's capable of being a star, I just see him as the #3 or #4 option on a very good Nova team.

Jordan top 100
Wieskamp top 50
Garza top 100
Connor 151 AND down.

bahahahahaha you are such a clown.

4 guys in the top 150? Here are all the teams that have 4 in my top 150. You ready for this?

Kansas
Kentucky
Duke
Michigan State (with Aaron Henry)

So yeah, looks like we need to start rotating Iowa into the Champions Classic.

What record would be acceptable for Fran?

What record would be unacceptable for Fran?
this season top 6 in the BT
losing season overall.

expecting better defense with the new assistant coach, but it will be hard to duplicate the improvement from the 17-18 season of 242nd to the 18-19 season to 111th a improvement of 131 spots in adj defense.

this season top 6 in the BT
losing season overall.

expecting better defense with the new assistant coach, but it will be hard to duplicate the improvement from the 17-18 season of 242nd to the 18-19 season to 111th a improvement of 131 spots in adj defense.

I think what others are saying is that if you have 4 top 150 players your goal should be higher than that.

bahahahahaha you are such a clown.

4 guys in the top 150? Here are all the teams that have 4 in my top 150. You ready for this?

Kansas
Kentucky
Duke
Michigan State (with Aaron Henry)

So yeah, looks like we need to start rotating Iowa into the Champions Classic.
Wieskamp was named to the preseason All BT team, also all those that I mentioned are either getting ready to play or underclassmen that just got started, Garza is going into his JR year.

other than Jordan and Toussaint the rest were top 100 recruits. Patrick was high as #21 5* till he didn't get that elite offer that Bossi stated he needed to justify that High ranking. but who was going to try to get Patrick since Fran is his father. a really piss poor way to grade a player now isn't it. by needing a ELITE OFFER to keep that 5* ranking.

he will be the backup to preseason all BT Teamer Wieskamp.
H Depaul Gavitt Games BE/BT Challenge
Iowa plays these in the OOC TT in the LV Invitational, then SDSU or Creighton in the 2nd game,
@ Syracuse in the ACC/BT challenge
@ ISU
Cinncinnati in Chicago
Iowa will also play these from the BT
@Michigan
H Minnesota
following the Syracuse
they will be tested real early.

Jordan top 100
Wieskamp top 50
Garza top 100
Connor 151 AND down.

Fredrick HS Accolades
Toussaint HS Accolades

RollLaugh

ADVERTISEMENT