ADVERTISEMENT

If the ACC implodes, what conference will Duke and UNC ultimately end up joining?

jackrabbit slim

Mar 30, 2008
I ask this mainly due to the rivalry. I can't see both institutions not in the same conference together so which conference would make the most sense for both programs to reside in?

I think the BIG will take Duke and UNC as a package, the B12 will take Syracuse and NC State, Virginia for their BB and one football school either Miami, Clemson or FSU.
I could see that. Either way, I think they both end up in the same conference if the ACC goes south. Too much history between the two for them to be separated.

Interesting? Why wouldn't Duke make it in?

Because they don’t bring in football ratings and they don’t have a large student/alumni body. They don’t really fit the SEC culture at all and the Big 10 has their eyes on much bigger prizes.

I figure they will stay in some reduced version of the ACC with Stanford and Wake, or they will go to the Big East.

Duke would for sure get in the Big 12. I don’t know if the Big Ten would take them though.

It all depends on how large the Big Ten and SEC are willing to go, and if they feel they need to have an equal amount of schools.

The Big Ten is already at 18. Notre Dame is going to be their #1 target by a lot. They would likely make Stanford come with them. North Carolina would be the next tier with one of UVA or Miami. Then do they even want to go further? If so, FSU, KU, GT, and probably Clemson would all be ahead of Duke. They just don’t bring a lot of money to the table and the other B1G schools aren’t going to vote to bring in someone that lowers their value.

Reactions: jackrabbit slim
Because they don’t bring in football ratings and they don’t have a large student/alumni body. They don’t really fit the SEC culture at all and the Big 10 has their eyes on much bigger prizes.

I figure they will stay in some reduced version of the ACC with Stanford and Wake, or they will go to the Big East.
perhaps the BIG may want to build up their BB brand by taking Duke and UNC as UNC/Duke in BB is on par with OSU/Michigan in football.

It’s a when, not if, as far as the ACC is concerned. They are going to get poached.

I have always felt the SEC should take control of the situation. They own football. They could add UNC, Duke, UVA, Louisville, Kansas and Arizona and own basketball as well.

Duke would for sure get in the Big 12. I don’t know if the Big Ten would take them though.

It all depends on how large the Big Ten and SEC are willing to go, and if they feel they need to have an equal amount of schools.

The Big Ten is already at 18. Notre Dame is going to be their #1 target by a lot. They would likely make Stanford come with them. North Carolina would be the next tier with one of UVA or Miami. Then do they even want to go further? If so, FSU, KU, GT, and probably Clemson would all be ahead of Duke. They just don’t bring a lot of money to the table and the other B1G schools aren’t going to vote to bring in someone that lowers their value.
Duke has the money to be competitive in football, getting them to spend it is a whole other animal.

Reactions: LeroyOU12
It’s a when, not if, as far as the ACC is concerned. They are going to get poached.

I have always felt the SEC should take control of the situation. They own football. They could add UNC, Duke, UVA, Louisville, Kansas and Arizona and own basketball as well.
I'd love to see the reaction here if Louisville gets an SEC invite. 😂

• Haha
The Big 12 is going to take all the leftovers with open arms. The only exceptions might be Wake Forest or Boston College. They will be the conference of leftovers, but also a survivor.

The Big 12 is going to take all the leftovers with open arms. The only exceptions might be Wake Forest or Boston College. They will be the conference of leftovers, but also a survivor.
the B12 commish knew he can't compete with the SEC and BIG in football, so he made it clear after taking the 4 corner schools that he wants to expanse the league in BB, and perhaps having BB TV deals separate from football once their new media contract is up in 2030.

Big 10 is gonna go FSU and UNC. Unless ND is available.

And no, Stanford won’t be in the BIG. They already have their one tiny private school with low ratings. And frankly if Northwestern wasn’t an OG they wouldn’t be in.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Duke has the money to be competitive in football, getting them to spend it is a whole other animal.
Duke has been competitive in football. They’ve been solid the last few years and has even been ranked.

It has nothing to do with the on field product which is better than what most of the Big 10 has like Nebraska, Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland, Indiana, etc etc.

Duke is a medium sized private school that doesn’t have the student body size, fan interest, tradition, etc the Big 10 wants.

Duke has been competitive in football. They’ve been solid the last few years and has even been ranked.

It has nothing to do with the on field product which is better than what most of the Big 10 has like Nebraska, Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland, Indiana, etc etc.

Duke is a medium sized private school that doesn’t have the student body size, fan interest, tradition, etc the Big 10 wants.
I wasn't speaking about Duke's ability on the field. I was speaking more on infrastructure like facilities. What I'm saying is Duke could spend some money and make themselves more attractive to other conferences however there is no answer for small student body and alumnus.

Big 10 is gonna go FSU and UNC. Unless ND is available.

And no, Stanford won’t be in the BIG. They already have their one tiny private school with low ratings. And frankly if Northwestern wasn’t an OG they wouldn’t be in.
If Notre Dame tells the Big Ten they’ll join if they can bring Stanford along, Stanford will be in the Big Ten.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
Best case scenario for the SEC if the NCAA implodes and the conference buys in on a two-sport model:

Phase A: UNC, UVA, KU, WVU
Phase B: Notre Dame, Cincy, Pitt, ISU.

Would build on the regional footprint, establish a stranglehold on both sports, and elevate academics/olympic sports. Plus, would effectively push the ACC and B12 into Tier 2 conferences after the B10 picks through the leftovers.

If Notre Dame tells the Big Ten they’ll join if they can bring Stanford along, Stanford will be in the Big Ten.

Ehh. TV networks are making the decisions.

The Big 10/Fox/NBC wants in Florida. Period. So their choices are FSU, UCF, USF, Miami. Pretty obvious which one is the ideal target.

North Carolina will end up in either the Big Ten or SEC. They will be fine.

Duke is another story. I suppose there’s a chance that they could be a package deal with UNC similar to how Stanford could get into the Big Ten in a package deal with Notre Dame, but I wouldn’t bet on that.

I think they’ll either remain in a depleted ACC or join the Big East, especially if the ACC experiences big losses.

They need to move the Big 12 Tourney to Vegas now that the Pac is dead. No offense. That's just my dream scenario. Probably not going to happen but it would be fun.

Reactions: englandnu
Where Duke falls is a mystery. Duke would be a better fit inside the Big 10, but I don’t think the Big 10 will take them. The SEC probably would not and the big 12 probably would. I don’t think Duke would sink that low because they are still academic slobs.(administration & money folks)

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Where Duke falls is a mystery. Duke would be a better fit inside the Big 10, but I don’t think the Big 10 will take them. The SEC probably would not and the big 12 probably would. I don’t think Duke would sink that low because they are still academic slobs.(administration & money folks)

And this is a legitimate concern of mine. Duke obviously prides itself on academics. The Big 12 has the reputation of being a "Truck Stop Conference" which isn't exactly going to excite the Duke administrators.

But, why would the Big Ten or SEC want Duke? Unless we're willing to fully invest in football, there's not a whole of upside for bringing in Duke. Guess you could say the same thing about Wake, Stanford, and Cal. And maybe Boston College and Georgia Tech, as well.

If the ACC is going to fall, I think it'll be because the Big 12 puts the final nail in the coffin.

How many schools will the SEC/Big Ten even try to poach? FSU, Clemson, and UNC, of course. After that? Maybe Miami, NC State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech. I wouldn't count on all 7 of those schools getting an invite. Maybe 4-5.

Let's be cynical and say we lose all 7. That still leaves the conference with Syracuse, Boston College, Pitt, Louisville, Duke, Wake, Georgia Tech, SMU, Cal, and Stanford. Obviously very meh for football. But, enough to keep the conference in tact. The struggle might be if schools like Pitt and Louisville leave for the Big 12.

Here are the rankings for best national universities from US News. The contrast in rankings between the ACC and Big 12 is stark. More than half of the ACC schools are in the top 50, and every school, minus Louisville, is ranked ahead of Baylor, the top-ranked academic school in the Big 12. I think it's safe to say Duke won't be joining the Big 12, unfortunately

ACC, 2024-25
3. Stanford
7. Duke
15. California
20. Notre Dame
22. North Carolina
24. Virginia
33. Georgia Tech
39. Boston College
47. Virginia Tech
47. Wake Forest
53. Florida State