ADVERTISEMENT

"I Was Going to IU, UNC Was My Dream School"

Yes, I know. I was just wondering if anyone else knew if UNC ever showed interest. I’m sure there was never a real chance of him going there.
He was the only recruit that year that ole roy offered a scholarship that year.

This was a decent effort but the problem is it doesn't make sense. UNC never had any issues with eligibility or admitting students who cheated or couldn't otherwise get in. In fact, students have not been able to go to UNC but have gone elsewhere because of not getting through admittance. I like a good dig but cleverness needs to be grounded in reasonableness. The fact that Rose couldn't have gone to UNC even after faking his score underscores this even more. You need to first understand the issues to then make jokes. Then you don't play to the LCD.

Didn't Rasheed Wallace fail on multiple attempts to achieve a 700 SAT Score? I don't think it's a big deal to have talent waiver for athletes that are a little behind the average, but the average test score for UNC is around 1350. Not even in the same ballpark. I can't help but be mildly suspicious that the AFAM classes started because of Rasheed Wallace.

He was the only recruit that year that ole roy offered a scholarship that year.

Maybe so. I think there is probably a good chance he never would have been admitted though. UNC has offered players before who then found out they couldn't get in. I'm a big Rose fan as a player though. He was dynamic when he was healthy.

Didn't Rasheed Wallace fail on multiple attempts to achieve a 700 SAT Score? I don't think it's a big deal to have talent waiver for athletes that are a little behind the average, but the average test score for UNC is around 1350. Not even in the same ballpark. I can't help but be mildly suspicious that the AFAM classes started because of Rasheed Wallace.

I don't know any SAT score for any player tbh. I'm not sure how anyone would know those sort of things. I can guarantee there were no classes started because of Rasheed Wallace though, lol. You sound a bit like that crazy devildj dude over on DI with that one.

I don't know any SAT score for any player tbh. I'm not sure how anyone would know those sort of things. I can guarantee there were no classes started because of Rasheed Wallace though, lol. You sound a bit like that crazy devildj dude over on DI with that one.

Not a big deal, really. Certainly not something to stress about or lose sleep over. Just fun to poke fun of your rivals from time-to-time. Duke's had its fair share of players with questionable eligibility. I'm skeptical since the allegedly fraudulent classes began in 1993 (not sure if that was fall or spring) - and that's when Rasheed started at UNC. From the Washington Post: "And under Atlantic Coast Conference rules, North Carolina cannot accept Wallace until he achieves a 700 on the Scholastic Aptitude Test. Wallace's SAT score is 690. He took the test again on March 27." A score of 690 is in the 1-2 percentile. He wasn't just below average - he was at the bottom of the bottom.

All schools lower their entrance standards for athletes. It's not like they are held to the same standard as the average student. If that were the case schools like Duke would rarely, if ever field a competitive team.

All schools lower their entrance standards for athletes. It's not like they are held to the same standard as the average student. If that were the case schools like Duke would rarely, if ever field a competitive team.

For sure. And I have nothing against the talent waiver in the admission process. Rasheed Wallace, however, was a complete outlier. If this site is accurate, a score of 690 is in the 1-2 percentile. Not saying he was the reason for the classes, but don't you think there's a realistic chance he could have been? Anyway, we'll never really know. Just fun to speculate, I guess.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
For sure. And I have nothing against the talent waiver in the admission process. Rasheed Wallace, however, was a complete outlier. If this site is accurate, a score of 690 is in the 1-2 percentile. Not saying he was the reason for the classes, but don't you think there's a realistic chance he could have been? Anyway, we'll never really know. Just fun to speculate, I guess.

Yeah, a lot of people speculated a lot of stuff over the years. We let them. Then they were wrong, like we said, so we stopped letting them just ramble on about it. Unless they are like that dj or afam guy. Then we just try to ignore them, lol. Like you said, no big deal though.
Regardless, I definitely have no issues with UNC or any other school lower standards for their athletes though. I also have zero problem with some easy classes and extra help for athletes. Duke certainly doesn't either. None of the big boys do for basketball. That is the least they could do for all the players do for the college.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Hmmmm. I’m not sure that I believe your story. If it was true then that would mean that John Calipari is a cheater and this board says that he has no reason to cheat at all.
The only possible explanation would be that he's too dumb to notice what's going on behind the scenes?.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yeah, a lot of people speculated a lot of stuff over the years. We let them. Then they were wrong, like we said, so we stopped letting them just ramble on about it. Unless they are like that dj or afam guy. Then we just try to ignore them, lol. Like you said, no big deal though.
Regardless, I definitely have no issues with UNC or any other school lower standards for their athletes though. I also have zero problem with some easy classes and extra help for athletes. Duke certainly doesn't either. None of the big boys do for basketball. That is the least they could do for all the players do for the college.

I agree with everything you said, with one exception. You are right, all the schools have easy classes for all athletes, not against the rules. While I'm certainly no big time athlete, did play college golf and some easy classes were offered to me as well.

That said, at UNC the easy/no-show classes formed an entire major. Athletes got a degree in the easy classes. Should an entire major be made up of no-show classes? That's the part I disagree with completely. Easy classes, sure, a few over 4 years of college, but not an entire degree's worth of them.

ADVERTISEMENT