ADVERTISEMENT

"I Was Going to IU, UNC Was My Dream School"

Yes, I know. I was just wondering if anyone else knew if UNC ever showed interest. I’m sure there was never a real chance of him going there.

I never knew those schools had such appeal to Rose, or that IU was close to having him. I didn't follow recruiting that closely back then either, but it's wild to think where some of these type caliber players might have ended up, the effect they might have had on those seasons all due to some little detail behind the scenes.

Agreed. That duo could have changed IU's trajectory for the next several years.

If our compliance office would have shut their mouth about the damn phone calls. Dumbest self report I've seen. That 07-08 IU team had they gotten Rose and not told on themselves would have been dangerous, it was already a damn good team. DJ White, Armon Bassett, Jordan Crawford and juco transfer Jamarcus Ellis. They had only lost like 3 or 4 games when the Sampson deal came out, ended up losing 4 of their last 5. Such a shame.

Never understood why IU has fell off the map. Is it choosing the wrong coaches? Tons of really good high school basketball in Indiana.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Never understood why IU has fell off the map. Is it choosing the wrong coaches? Tons of really good high school basketball in Indiana.

Bad hires starting with Davis. A board at one time didn’t like basketball overshadowing academics. Crean with a few good teams but alienated almost the entire state, his program was built on a shitty foundation and Archie having to rebuild from the bottom up. We shall see what the next few years hold but I’m optimistic with the way Archie going about it.

If he went to UNC he would’ve had no reason to fake his SAT.

So there’s that.
giphy.gif

If he went to UNC he would’ve had no reason to fake his SAT.

So there’s that.

This was a decent effort but the problem is it doesn't make sense. UNC never had any issues with eligibility or admitting students who cheated or couldn't otherwise get in. In fact, students have not been able to go to UNC but have gone elsewhere because of not getting through admittance. I like a good dig but cleverness needs to be grounded in reasonableness. The fact that Rose couldn't have gone to UNC even after faking his score underscores this even more. You need to first understand the issues to then make jokes. Then you don't play to the LCD.

This was a decent effort but the problem is it doesn't make sense. UNC never had any issues with eligibility or admitting students who cheated or couldn't otherwise get in. In fact, students have not been able to go to UNC but have gone elsewhere because of not getting through admittance. I like a good dig but cleverness needs to be grounded in reasonableness. The fact that Rose couldn't have gone to UNC even after faking his score underscores this even more. You need to first understand the issues to then make jokes. Then you don't play to the LCD.
Say hi to Julius Peppers and Marvin Austin. Damn Austin was so smart they put him in a 400 level course his first semester.

Keep up the charade though, it is comical.

If our compliance office would have shut their mouth about the damn phone calls. Dumbest self report I've seen. That 07-08 IU team had they gotten Rose and not told on themselves would have been dangerous, it was already a damn good team. DJ White, Armon Bassett, Jordan Crawford and juco transfer Jamarcus Ellis. They had only lost like 3 or 4 games when the Sampson deal came out, ended up losing 4 of their last 5. Such a shame.
They were dangerous without Rose. With Rose, yikes.

What do you think?Laughing

1. Davis: I really liked Davis. Just in over his head. I will say this---If he had more experience, I think he would've been a really good fit. Him taking Indiana to the title game was great, but set the program back, IMO. It forced Indiana's hand. I mean how do you fire a guy that just took you to the National title game?

2. Sampson: Actually, a really good hire COACHING wise. Dude can coach. But as far as a "good" hire? Lord no. IU rolled the dice----It backfired miserably. Led too........

3. Crean: I will always be thankful for what Crean done for Indiana. He took the job when no one wanted it. Program was in shambles. I mean dude started his tenure with 400 walk-on's. But he stayed in "first year mold", for 9 years. Always leaning on---"look where we were". He was awful at managing a roster. Recruiting was solid at times. But all over the place. Just a bad hire.

I do think Indiana has gotten it right with Miller. He's strting to rebuild relationships with Indiana HS coaches. He's recruiting the state very well. That bodes well.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
Correct . However, they were never going to play together as Reggie Rose didn’t want anyone stealing Derricks thunder. His final 5 schools were all Adidas schools. Rose visited illinois(Nike) at the last minute and it was thought of as a negotiating ploy with Adidas....most of what he is saying is BS.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2014/8/6/18488897/derrick-rose-will-visit-illinois
I have a very good source who was actually inside the gym with him when he visited IU. Point blank...Reggie looked at IU's assistant who was the lead recruiter and told him...."we're getting X amount from Memphis, if you can beat it, he's yours".

You are correct about it being a bidding war, but if IU would have paid more, he would have been at IU.

What do you think?Laughing

1. Davis: I really liked Davis. Just in over his head. I will say this---If he had more experience, I think he would've been a really good fit. Him taking Indiana to the title game was great, but set the program back, IMO. It forced Indiana's hand. I mean how do you fire a guy that just took you to the National title game?

2. Sampson: Actually, a really good hire COACHING wise. Dude can coach. But as far as a "good" hire? Lord no. IU rolled the dice----It backfired miserably. Led too........

3. Crean: I will always be thankful for what Crean done for Indiana. He took the job when no one wanted it. Program was in shambles. I mean dude started his tenure with 400 walk-on's. But he stayed in "first year mold", for 9 years. Always leaning on---"look where we were". He was awful at managing a roster. Recruiting was solid at times. But all over the place. Just a bad hire.

I do think Indiana has gotten it right with Miller. He's strting to rebuild relationships with Indiana HS coaches. He's recruiting the state very well. That bodes well.
The Sampson hire backfired because Indiana made the "noble" move of self reporting. A horrible move that no other school would've done, over a rule that is no longer even in place.

If they hadn't who knows what Sampson could've done there.

The Sampson hire backfired because Indiana made the "noble" move of self reporting. A horrible move that no other school would've done, over a rule that is no longer even in place.

If they hadn't who knows what Sampson could've done there.
I dunno....

giphy.gif

By self-reporting, Indiana dodged a HUGE bullet. And it was much more than the phone calls/texts. Plus, c'mon, dude. He got in trouble for the shit at Oklahoma. And for God's sake---he was the president of NABC while committing these numerous violations.

I dunno....

giphy.gif

By self-reporting, Indiana dodged a HUGE bullet. And it was much more than the phone calls/texts. Plus, c'mon, dude. He got in trouble for the shit at Oklahoma. And for God's sake---he was the president of NABC while committing these numerous violations.
You're probably right, great coach though.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I have a very good source who was actually inside the gym with him when he visited IU. Point blank...Reggie looked at IU's assistant who was the lead recruiter and told him...."we're getting X amount from Memphis, if you can beat it, he's yours".

You are correct about it being a bidding war, but if IU would have paid more, he would have been at IU.
Hmmmm. I’m not sure that I believe your story. If it was true then that would mean that John Calipari is a cheater and this board says that he has no reason to cheat at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT