ADVERTISEMENT

How many MWC championships in a row will Kansas win?

You think they will be stuck in conference purgatory?
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
I have no idea but assume there will be a new BIG 12 or whatever that forms from the remnants....I think the BIG will be looking elsewhere first before adding KU.
That would be a huge miss on their part. They took Nebraska and they suck in both sports. Not to mention the other schools recently taken.

I know if I were a B1G mbb fan I'd caution bringing in a school led by a guy who, in his three seasons previously with the B1G, won the conference twice and took second in his third season.

Rolly Laff Rolly Laff

Came across a fan who is convinced that KU (and Kentucky) will be joining the ACC.

Reason being that ESPN holds the rights to the ACC and that’s where they want them. They also have rights to the SEC and the plan is to have a basketball superleague and a football superleague. Every FB recruit will want to be in the SEC and every BB recruit in the ACC. They’ll dominate ratings from Labor Day to Easter.

Probably crazy but it’ll be fun to see whose crazy ideas come true.

Big Ten isn’t inviting a single Big XII, IMO. Any addition has to bring in enough new revenue that dividing the new total by 15 or 16 gets everyone a higher payout than the current 14-way split … that’s not KU or Iowa State.

EDIT: I don’t say that happily. This expansion BS honestly makes me sad and really miss the conference setups of the early and mid-2000s. Feel awful for fan bases whose teams might get screwed by this.

Last edited:
Big Ten isn’t inviting a single Big XII, IMO. Any addition has to bring in enough new revenue that dividing the new total by 15 or 16 gets everyone a higher payout than the current 14-way split … that’s not KU or Iowa State.

EDIT: I don’t say that happily. This expansion BS honestly makes me sad and really miss the conference setups of the early and mid-2000s. Feel awful for fan bases whose teams might get screwed by this.

Could be right. But there are so many potential factors that I think it’s silly to write it off. Including the future of the NCAA. If the major conferences break away from the NCAA, KU becomes much more valuable.

Even if that isn’t on the horizon, KU still has value as a stand-alone property. It’s highly unlikely that they don’t end up in one of the Big 10, ACC, Pac or SEC. There’s also still a decent chance that the Big 12 doesn’t blow up. Probably a better chance than most expect.

Could be right. But there are so many potential factors that I think it’s silly to write it off. Including the future of the NCAA. If the major conferences break away from the NCAA, KU becomes much more valuable.

Even if that isn’t on the horizon, KU still has value as a stand-alone property. It’s highly unlikely that they don’t end up in one of the Big 10, ACC, Pac or SEC. There’s also still a decent chance that the Big 12 doesn’t blow up. Probably a better chance than most expect.
Please dear lawd, let KU join the SEC. If nothing else, just to watch Mizzou fans meltdown.

Can you explain to me why KU finishes third in revenue in the big 12 every year despite having a bad football program?

Donations. KU basketball brings serious in money. And great BB ticket sales. But the conference is looking for money, not whether you as a school make bank.

KU basketball is a big dog when it comes to money, but the TV markets suck

Mizzou is worth more because of the KC and St Louis market.

Btw, I would no problem with Kansas joining. But it's gonna need to be a combo with a large state. Maybe even UVA.

Donations. KU basketball brings serious in money. And great BB ticket sales. But the conference is looking for money, not whether you as a school make bank.

I believe the BTN has had the St. Louis market for cable subscriptions for years, via Illinois.

Reactions: hawkit3113

The TV markets aren’t huge, but they don’t “suck.” They’d bring a fairly good sized market.

In order, networks are looking for huge markets, good football, and good basketball. If you can check two boxes, you’re in great shape. KU is great in one and decent in another. If they had even passable football right now, they’d be highly sought after.

Some may view it as worth the gamble that they can get back to passable football. Especially since they just hired a coach who rates pretty highly.

Either way, they’re going to be in a major conference. Even people in the TV industry are saying the chance is 99%.

Personally, give me the ACC. May not make much sense geographically, but it would probably improve recruiting, and they get to face several of the top basketball programs, while also catching them at a time when they might be vulnerable.

Reactions: speedfrk

Hahahaha on that last sentence. KU draws way more eye balls in KC and it’s not even close.

TV markets aren't as big of a deal anymore, it's just total subscriptions. KU is a nationwide brand, will bring in money.
However, while KC isn't the largest market (30th in population in the country), the % of the population that tune in for KU games is very high compared to other areas. So it's at worst a Top 25 market, likely more inside the Top 20. Especially in those winter months when you don't want to lose subscribers that might leave after football is over.

It seems the consensus with all conferences is that KU is very attractive, but there are no teams KU can bring along with them that will be a net gain per overall team.
There's not going to be anyone in the ACC, SEC or B1G that will leave their conference. The PAC is wanting to merge with the B1G, but that doesn't make a lot of sense for the B1G. It would basically be a wash, if that.
The PAC is the next major conference to get raided, and it sounds like the California schools are all for it.
Unfortunately for KU, I think that's going to be a PAC package deal scenario (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Wash), so KU would probably get left out (along with other decent schools like Arizona and Colorado).

This is all my opinion...
I think the ACC is going to take KU and keep their eye on what happens in the PAC. KU plus their 14 + ND gives them 16, so they will be equal with the SEC.
If the PAC get's raided, the ACC (and SEC if they're interested) would go after Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado & probably another B12 teams like WV or OSU.

Question for big ten fans: How many conference titles would be feasible for Kansas to win in a row for basketball? Also, over/under on if we could win a league game in the first 3 years of football?

Question for big ten fans: How many conference titles would be feasible for Kansas to win in a row for basketball? Also, over/under on if we could win a league game in the first 3 years of football?
You're expecting a reasonable answer to this?

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK
WVU will get in the ACC before KU. From what our insiders are saying WVU will get a invite and depending on this 12 team playoff vote ND may become a full time member. That will put the ACC at 16 teams.

Reactions: KisteK

We OWN KC. 15 miles away. Mizzou owns St, Louis, That is how it has always been divided. Sorry but it's true.

So what's the rumor as of now for KU, Big10? ACC? PAC? MEAC?

Everything is wait and see. No intention given on the B1G, ACC, PAC even looking to expand. I guess it’s a wait and see to see if the SEC decides to stay at 16 or push it to 20 before 2025.

ESPN/ABC and CBS are basically calling the shots with the TV deals and the conference realignment. SEC gets to run the show from the conference perspective because their football TV deal is the most desired deal in college sports. Basically everything is a wait and see what the SEC does beyond OU and Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT