ADVERTISEMENT

How good is this Gonzaga team?

If you dont think Drew Timme's stock skyrocketed after making Mobley look pedestrian last night, I got nothing else for you. Dude is a first rounder, even in today's NBA.

Sam Vecenie's big board from 3/1 has Timme at 75. He's not in the mock from 2 weeks ago. He'll likely get drafted, maybe he does squeeze in the first round though I'd bet against it. He's a slow footed center only prospect. He's not a shot blocker or creator. That doesn't change the fact he's an elite college player. Which was my whole point about Lamb. Great player, bad pro.

Reactions: ozfrog
Sam Vecenie's big board from 3/1 has Timme at 75. He's not in the mock from 2 weeks ago. He'll likely get drafted, maybe he does squeeze in the first round though I'd bet against it. He's a slow footed center only prospect. He's not a shot blocker or creator. That doesn't change the fact he's an elite college player. Which was my whole point about Lamb. Great player, bad pro.

Slow footed, no. Not a shot blocker, true. Great passer, and the best footwork of any big men in the past 20 years, yes. Not a good shooter. Not strong enough. But gets buckets. And more buckets.

I think this guy is one of those Russian bots. Clearly Russia is threatened by Gonzaga’s dominance so they placed a bot in to make people think their fan base is really, really really unlikable.

Yeah, I think the same thing happened with thebasketballreasons or whatever his odd name is. Probably afamu, too.

IDK about combined, but I do think he's a better coach.

Put it this way, I think Gonzaga's run of dominance is just getting started.

Possibly. Possibly not.

They do look very well-coached, but I also think this is a rare team that came together perfectly and at the right time. I doubt it will be the norm. Seems like major wishful thinking to believe that they can not only replace those three players, but improve next year.

I also think they’d face stiffer competition in many other seasons. Not sure the competition will be much stronger next year though.

I will admit. I just paid $10 so i can reply to this clown. Who is this dude anyways, but an uneducated Kentucky homer? My lord. Kispert and Nembhard not being significantly better than Lamb and Darius Miller? Suggs not being better than Teague by a large margin? I understand most of Big Blue Nation has its head up its behind, but you my friend, take the cake. Other fan bases laugh at Kentucky fans-- there is a whole thread on Gonzaga's board about the idiotic takes that Kentucky fans have each year out of sheer jealousy of Gonzaga-- and this years 7 win team really ignited that hatred. Was it 7 games you won? 8? How many? Either way it was pitiful. Not as pitiful as your fan base though.

Only BBN has the uneducated ignorance to the level that is spewed night in and night out on your board. BBN is an embarrassment for college basketball. You think every transfer is coming your way (wrong).. sorry max abmas isnt coming Kentucky's way haha.

You think teams are dodging you-- ya i am sure Gonzaga would had to face the lottery pick that is Brandon butterfingers Boston or Terrance 'i broke a finger nail' Clarke.

BBN is so stupid, i read the other day that this GU team would be the 5th best team in that 2015 year. That they would not win the SEC this year, and that the 2nd platoon on kentuckys 2015 team would beat this Gonzaga team. Dont believe me? Go check out Kentucky's message board.

Gonzaga has at least four future pro's-- all will be first rounders. Nembhard was a 2 year starter as a freshman and sophomore in your vaunted SEC at Florida and came here and started the year on the bench. Aaron cook barely plays and transferred from Southern Illinois after averaging 16 ppg. Dominick Harris, Julian Strawther and Ben Gregg were all top 50 recruits nationally. They only play in mop up minutes. They have 3 All americans, a 4th that got honorable mention, and nembhard who very well could have been on that list as well.

Your team sucks this year, your program is on the decline, and your jealousy for one of the better stories in sports history-- a school in Eastern washington in the middle of nowhere, rising up to the top of CBB with an undefeated record, demolishing any program in its way by an average of over 20 ppg.

Just because your 2015 team choked in the semi finals, leaving a bunch of pathetic BBN with their hands on their hips wondering wth just happened, doesn't mean you need to diminish Gonzag's historic accomplishments this year.

Social media allowed fools like you to voice your opinion-- and hopefully those educated CBB fans see right through your bs and the rest of the bs that the overwhelming majority of BBN spew on a daily basis. Not good for the sport, not really good for anything. Your arrogance and your fan bases arrogance make you the laughing stock of other fan bases.

As for the game, I wish UCLA luck. I am still bitter about '06 and even though we beat you in '15, I want more revenge. I am an LA guy so will always root for UCLA in non Zags games, and admire what Mick is doing with your program. Peyton watson will add to an already loaded roster next year, which i think will be preseason top 10.

I do not think you will beat Gonzaga, as I for one can attest this is the best GU team ever. Timme should be too much for Riley, and UCLA needs to shoot way better to keep up with Gonzaga's offense. What is underrated about this squad is their defense. The quickness of guards Nembhard, Ayayi and Suggs are not paralleled by many in CBB. Maybe Baylor. They will make life tough for Tyger, and shots not as easy for Juzang. What a stud he is though. Pure stroke. Happy you all have at least 1 more year of him.

Best of luck-- except to pathetic, jealous, BBN scum.
tl/dr

What a triggered clown RollLaugh

Imagine paying 10 dollars to post on a free board that you were so butthurt someone doesn't think the team with the best player of the 21st century would lose to this Gonzaga team. I don't know if you remember that draft, but Kentucky had 4 first round picks, including the first school to ever go 1-2. Had two more picked in the second round.

I have said on multiple threads I think this Gonzaga team is right up there with all of the greats of the last 20 years but YIKES
You can really tell who has it bad at home and who doesn’t. You can tell some of these Gonzaga fans are new to the whole basketball thing.

Reactions: cdbearde and ozfrog
People keep on knocking the talent level of Gonzaga when comparing all time teams. But have y’all checked out the mock drafts lately?

Suggs is going top 3 and Kispert is a lottery pick. Even Ayayi is in a lot as a late first rounder. Compliment that with the fact that Timme may not be a great pro, but he is a dominant college player. This team has a lot of NBA talent on it.
Yeah but see....... f*** Gonzaga.

Possibly. Possibly not.

They do look very well-coached, but I also think this is a rare team that came together perfectly and at the right time. I doubt it will be the norm. Seems like major wishful thinking to believe that they can not only replace those three players, but improve next year.

I also think they’d face stiffer competition in many other seasons. Not sure the competition will be much stronger next year though.

Agreed, though I think the Baylor team they'll likely face in the title game is a damn good team too. Just a rare year where every blue blood (except UCLA I guess) was various stages of shit.

Wow. The last page and a half of this thread have been interesting lol.

It's a good point that college basketball has been watered down a bit. Obviously having an AdjEM of almost 39 is incredible, but it's not the same competition as we saw 20 years ago. Turnover rate is ridiculously high. It's pretty common to see just about every team in the top 10 lose 4-5 starters. So, who really knows how this Gonzaga team would do against '12 Kentucky or '09 North Carolina? One thing I do know, is their motion offense is pretty hard to stop. It's almost like playing Whac-A-Mole. You stop one threat, and there's another threat lurking nearby. And they rarely force bad shots.

One name that was mentioned a lot in this thread was Doron Lamb. He was no doubt an incredible shooter. One of the best shooters we've seen in the past decade. Yet, consider the fact that Gonzaga has 2 guards that both having higher effective and true shooting percentages than Lamb.

Effective Field Goal Percentage
Corey Kispert, 65.3%
Joel Ayayi, 63.8%
Doron Lamb, 57.7%

True Shooting Percentage
Corey Kispert, 68.3%
Joel Ayayi, 65.9%
Doron Lamb, 62.4%

It would be interesting matchup, especially when you consider the Zags like to constantly attack the rim with dribble drives, PnR, and cuts. How many baskets could AD erase?

They were pretty obnoxious at the Maui Invitational a few years ago. And they were not happy Zion was getting so much attention.

Ive met some really cool Zag fans but there are definitely some obnoxious bandwagoners who are insufferable

Wow. The last page and a half of this thread have been interesting lol.

It's a good point that college basketball has been watered down a bit. Obviously having an AdjEM of almost 39 is incredible, but it's not the same competition as we saw 20 years ago. Turnover rate is ridiculously high. It's pretty common to see just about every team in the top 10 lose 4-5 starters. So, who really knows how this Gonzaga team would do against '12 Kentucky or '09 North Carolina? One thing I do know, is their motion offense is pretty hard to stop. It's almost like playing Whac-A-Mole. You stop one threat, and there's another threat lurking nearby. And they rarely force bad shots.

One name that was mentioned a lot in this thread was Doron Lamb. He was no doubt an incredible shooter. One of the best shooters we've seen in the past decade. Yet, consider the fact that Gonzaga has 2 guards that both having higher effective and true shooting percentages than Lamb.

Effective Field Goal Percentage
Corey Kispert, 65.3%
Joel Ayayi, 63.8%
Doron Lamb, 57.7%

True Shooting Percentage
Corey Kispert, 68.3%
Joel Ayayi, 65.9%
Doron Lamb, 62.4%

It would be interesting matchup, especially when you consider the Zags like to constantly attack the rim with dribble drives, PnR, and cuts. How many baskets could AD erase?

Kispert is better and he's incredible. No arguments there. Ayayi is a much better finisher but is also the fourth option at best for them. Really helps your percentages when you're not the main scouting report guy. Lamb was the main perimeter player for Kentucky. The most impressive thing about Lamb for me is he was even better in the NCAA Tournament both years at Kentucky. His splits there are 52/56/73 over 11 games.

As for the actual matchup, it would be real close. Suggs over Teague would be the biggest mismatch on the floor. But could Kispert/Timme guard Jones/AD? MKG would make Kispert's life hell defensively or he'd move down and guard Suggs. Could be bias but I favor the team with the best player of the 21st century though.

Captain Obvious----The Zags are VERY good. Well oiled machine, lots of experience, spread the floor and are fun to watch.

Nova 2018 had 5 NBA players on it (although spellman is now down in G League) won every game in the tourney by double figures and their offense was spectacular. Defense by tournament time was really good as well.

The homer in me prefers that Nova team, but IMO, Gonzaga is right there. Suggs is special, love his passing, multiple future pros and a fantastic coach. You play who is front of you and Gonzaga has whooped everyone to date. If Baylor and Gonzaga meet, I think that is their toughest game, but still think the Zags win.

Please....Davis was not the best player of the 21st century in his freshman season.

I think even the Zag fans would agree a guy like Kenyon Martin would probably have something for Timme. Timme can play do not get me wrong here. Impressive skillset.
Idk you could tel going against Mobley that timme knew Mobley was the top 3 pick and he didn’t care. He went right at him. Really he forced stuff early trying to hard, but then he settled down and took over.

he’s not the one with the most pro potential, but imo timme is the key for Gonzaga.

I mean yea the best college players ever like AD and Kenyon Martin are better than timme, but they aren’t playing college ball atm.

Why must Gonzaga be better than 2012 Uk to recognize they are having an amazing season and an amazing team just like uk did in 2012. No ones going for best team ever, UCLA wins in a landslide.

But yea besides Suggs, uk > the other 4 matchups in said hypothetical imo.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Idk you could tel going against Mobley that timme knew Mobley was the top 3 pick and he didn’t care. He went right at him. Really he forced stuff early trying to hard, but then he settled down and took over.

he’s not the one with the most pro potential, but imo timme is the key for Gonzaga.

I mean yea the best college players ever like AD and Kenyon Martin are better than timme, but they aren’t playing college ball atm.

That is true, I know Mobley is a good player that has untapped upside. He's just not in the mold of the defensive dudes we've listed above.

The entire point I guess is, the game is already completely different now than it was with teams people are trying to compare Gonzaga with.

I'll just say Gonzaga is a very impressive team and program for sure. Gonzaga fans probably feel slighted, because there's always going to be a group of fans that try to discredit them.

Who was? You ask any coach for what player they want to start their team with and Davis is #1.

And yet he was still the best player on the floor that night.

Bit of a difference between best player on the floor and best of the century.

Durant and Zion were better college players.

Didn’t we have a poll not too long ago, regarding Davis and Zion. Who would the board rather take? Or did I make this up? If it hasn’t been done, I will make it happen.

Nothing wrong with opinions.

Exactly. I mean there are things Durant did Davis could not.

There are also things Davis did that Durant did not.

There is no stat for altered shots, or a stat for a guy's mere existence altering what players would even try to do against them - this is the Davis impact. Again, it's like a shut down CB in the NFL just wiping out a portion of the field for opposing offenses.

That is true, I know Mobley is a good player that has untapped upside. He's just not in the mold of the defensive dudes we've listed above.

The entire point I guess is, the game is already completely different now than it was with teams people are trying to compare Gonzaga with.

I'll just say Gonzaga is a very impressive team and program for sure. Gonzaga fans probably feel slighted, because there's always going to be a group of fans that try to discredit them.

I understand, but what I’m saying is NO ONE is in the mold of AD defensively, I mean unless we are going back to bill russel.

We are knocking the guy Bc he hypothetically wouldn’t be able to score against the best defensive big the college game had seen since?????? Ever for me

Also every team from the past will look better thanone from the present, bc we have the luxury of looking at what they have become.

what if ten years from now, hypothetically, Suggs has won 3 straight mvps. Then everyone will look back and say how Suggs would have beat (insert present good team) by himself.

I understand, but what I’m saying is NO ONE is in the mold of AD defensively, I mean unless we are going back to bill russel.

We are knocking the guy Bc he hypothetically wouldn’t be able to score against the best defensive big the college game had seen since?????? Ever for me

Also every team from the past will look better thanone from the present, bc we have the luxury of looking at what they have become.

what if ten years from now, hypothetically, Suggs has won 3 straight mvps. Then everyone will look back and say how Suggs would have beat (insert present good team) by himself.

I'm not knocking anybody or didn't mean to do that. And yeah good point about seeing what guys have become. I do like Gonzaga, what's not to like? Their existence also seems to piss a few people off so I like that too.

Reactions: Villian07
Durant was better at scoring, Zion had better hops and ball skills. AD was better at winning. Games, accolades, championships.

Reactions: RR30
Bit of a difference between best player on the floor and best of the century.

Durant and Zion were better college players.

No they weren't. Both were better offensive players. Anthony Davis was the best defensive player by a mile. He changed gameplans single handedly there. Davis could have averaged 20 a game too. And neither player saw a final four.

Look it's obviously a debate. Recency bias helps Zion but one player of those three won every award possible and helped his team cut down the nets. Melo is right there for that same reason.

No they weren't. Both were better offensive players. Anthony Davis was the best defensive player by a mile. He changed gameplans single handedly there. Davis could have averaged 20 a game too. And neither player saw a final four.

Look it's obviously a debate. Recency bias helps Zion but one player of those three won every award possible and helped his team cut down the nets. Melo is right there for that same reason.

Davis is actually the only one of the three who didn't sweep the NPOY awards.

There's no comparing the supporting casts. What do you think would have happened to Texas or Duke if Durant/Zion went 1/10 vs one of the top teams in the country? No matter what they did defensively, they'd likely get rolled.

In this very thread, you guys are giving Kentucky the nod at every position over undefeated Gonzaga except Suggs. Now try that exercise for 07 Texas and 19 Duke. Yet, conveniently, the narrative has now shifted to Davis and the Miracles.

ADVERTISEMENT