ADVERTISEMENT

Hey, Low IQ b-ball fans. (WVU specifically)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KUhawks34

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2006
From Jay Bilas:

West Virginia
"There was quite a stir after the Mountaineers blew a double-digit lead in a loss to Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence. West Virginia coach Bob Huggins was tossed after vociferously pointing out to the officials that the free throw disparity, which was 35-2 at the end of the game. Many fans and others around the basketball community pointed to the disparity as clear evidence that something was wrong. Well, I sat courtside for that game, and there was nothing wrong. Were there some missed calls? Yes. Did the officials miss the call that was the last straw for Huggins? Yes. I watched the game again, and there were about 15 calls that should have or could have been called. But nine of those calls should have or could have gone against West Virginia, including an offensive basket interference call against the Mountaineers that went uncalled and resulted in a bucket. Free throw disparity is a function of style of play and how teams play on that day. West Virginia settled for a lot of jump shots, while Kansas drove the ball into the lane and punched the ball into its big guy, Udoka Azubuike. West Virginia presses and fouls more than most teams, and it allows more free throws by opponents than all but 13 Division I teams. Kansas does not play pressure defense, and it is in the top 20 in Division I in allowing the fewest free throws. The officials made some mistakes, yes. But the officials did not cost West Virginia the game. The Mountaineers did that all by themselves."

We going for a trifecta of locked threads on the front page?

Impressive.

Reactions: ChiTownSean
Overall don't think officiating was a big deal on game outcome. Thought two of Carter's fouls were bogus but he also had two obvious fouls go uncalled and I don't think he missed playing time for foul trouble. Konate posting on Svi was bad imo and changed our game bc he went to bench. I'm over it. Some Kansas fans are not bc of national outrage over simply (stupidly) looking at free throws. A win is a win, too bad you now have a perception of getting home cooking in that game in the minds of unintelligent people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT