ADVERTISEMENT

Hey ACC Fans and more specifically UNC fans

I can’t believe the refs in the Miami Pitt game counted Burton’s shot as a 3 and never reviewed it. Could you imagine if Hinson would have hit that shot at the buzzer for the “win”?
Honestly it would have been shitty to win that way. TV Teddy and Jamie Luckey were so bad both ways last night. There were times where I would just laugh at the calls.

Going forward, Pitt did a great job shutting down Wong and took a bench guy going 6-8 from behind the arc to beat us. I think we can win a game in the Tourney, which is good enough for me.

Honestly it would have been shitty to win that way. TV Teddy and Jamie Luckey were so bad both ways last night. There were times where I would just laugh at the calls.

Going forward, Pitt did a great job shutting down Wong and took a bench guy going 6-8 from behind the arc to beat us. I think we can win a game in the Tourney, which is good enough for me.

That's one way to look at it. I could say it took Miami to have more than twice as many turnovers at Pitt yesterday for Pitt to have a chance. And that was really disappointing to see in a home game, especially considering some of them were very careless.

All bs aside though, the teams are pretty evenly matched. Miami had a couple chances to push the lead to double digits and you guys just kept making plays and wouldn't go away. Knew it would be a dogfight. I respect the hell out of Pitt this season. Just a group that's tough as hell, gritty, and physical. Very similar to their Big East teams. Hinson is a baller.

For the record, Poplar is not a bench guy, he has been a starter all year. He didn't "start" yesterday bc Coach L put in two seniors to start the game on senior day. The other 4 starters get all the love but he's a key piece and is improving rapidly. He came up huge yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: bignish and jhmossy
Picking the ACC Awards won't be easy this year. Lots of good players. But, we didn't have a whole lot elite players that distinguished themselves from the rest of the pack

Here are my flawed picks...

POY: Isaiah Wong
COY: Jeff Capel
FOY: Kyle Filipowski
DPOY: Reece Beekman

1st Team
Jamarius Burton, Pittsburgh
Jarkel Joiner, NC State
Isaiah Wong, Miami
Hunter Tyson, Clemson
Armando Bacot, North Carolina

2nd Team
Tyree Appleby, Wake Forest
Kihei Clark, Virginia
Terquavion Smith, NC State
Jordan Miller, Miami
Kyle Filipowski, Duke

3rd Team
Chase Hunter, Clemson
Reece Beekman, Virginia
Blake Hinson, Pittsburgh
Norchad Omier, Miami
Jesse Edwards, Syracuse

Picking the ACC Awards won't be easy this year. Lots of good players. But, we didn't have a whole lot elite players that distinguished themselves from the rest of the pack

Here are my flawed picks...

POY: Isaiah Wong
COY: Jeff Capel
FOY: Kyle Filipowski
DPOY: Reece Beekman

1st Team
Jamarius Burton, Pittsburgh
Jarkel Joiner, NC State
Isaiah Wong, Miami
Hunter Tyson, Clemson
Armando Bacot, North Carolina

2nd Team
Tyree Appleby, Wake Forest
Kihei Clark, Virginia
Terquavion Smith, NC State
Jordan Miller, Miami
Kyle Filipowski, Duke

3rd Team
Chase Hunter, Clemson
Reece Beekman, Virginia
Blake Hinson, Pittsburgh
Norchad Omier, Miami
Jesse Edwards, Syracuse

Nicely done. It's so hard picking the all-conference teams but you did a good job with it.

Even as a Miami fan, I don't see Wong winning POY at all. I legitimately think the rest of college basketball viewers think he is better than all Miami fans do. He was good this season, far from great, with some ugly moments mixed in.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Nicely done. It's so hard picking the all-conference teams but you did a good job with it.

Even as a Miami fan, I don't see Wong winning POY at all. I legitimately think the rest of college basketball viewers think he is better than all Miami fans do. He was good this season, far from great, with some ugly moments mixed in.

There's definitely not a clear-cut winner this year. If it were based more on stats and less on how a team performed, I might say Bacot or Appleby would be the two frontrunners. But, there's definitely a huge advantage to one of the better teams receiving POY.

I think you could legitimately argue that Jordan Miller is the most productive Miami player. But feel like Wong has more notoriety, and more likely to receive votes than Miller... So, Idk. You could easily give the ACC POY to 5-6 different guys this year.

Reactions: TKBray
Whitehead-Black.jpg

Dariq Whitehead is trying to give Trimble guidance on where to pass the ball. It's alleged that he even screamed, "Leaky is open!"

2022-23 ACC Award Winners
All-ACC Team
First Team

Isaiah Wong, Miami, 337
Armando Bacot, North Carolina, 324
Tyree Appleby, Wake Forest, 319
Hunter Tyson, Clemson, 271
Jamarius Burton, Pitt, 262

Second Team
Kyle Filipowski, Duke, 258
Terquavion Smith, NC State, 243
Jarkel Joiner, NC State, 203
Jordan Miller, Miami, 148
Blake Hinson, Pitt, 132

Third Team
Norchad Omier, Miami, 131
PJ Hall, Clemson, 126
Kihei Clark, Virginia, 102
Jesse Edwards, Syracuse, 54
Reece Beekman, Virginia, 54

Honorable Mention
El Ellis, Louisville, 50
Grant Basile, Virginia Tech, 43
Judah Mintz, Syracuse, 40
Jeremy Roach, Duke, 35
Quinten Post, Boston College, 33
Jayden Gardner, Virginia, 31
RJ Davis, North Carolina, 26
DJ Burns Jr., NC State, 24
Caleb Love, North Carolina, 21

Note: All-ACC Team points are determined on a 5-3-1 system (five points for first team, three points for second team, one point for third team).

Player of the Year
Isaiah Wong, Miami, 30 votes
Tyree Appleby, Wake Forest, 23
Armando Bacot, North Carolina, 9
Hunter Tyson, Clemson, 4
Kyle Filipowski, Duke, 3
Jamarius Burton, Pitt, 3
Jarkel Joiner, NC State, 2
Jeremy Roach, Duke, 1

Rookie of the Year
Kyle Filipowski, Duke, 68 votes
Judah Mintz, Syracuse, 7

All-Defensive Team
Reece Beekman, Virginia, 63 votes
Jesse Edwards, Syracuse, 56
Leaky Black, North Carolina, 55
Dereck Lively II, Duke, 45
Kihei Clark, Virginia, 26

All-Freshman Team
Kyle Filipowski, Duke, 75 votes
Judah Mintz, Syracuse, 72
Tyrese Proctor, Duke, 51
JJ Starling, Notre Dame, 39
Dereck Lively II, Duke, 39

Coach of the Year
Jeff Capel, Pitt, 57 votes
Jim Larrañaga, Miami, 8
Brad Brownell, Clemson, 6
Kevin Keatts, NC State, 2
Tony Bennett, Virginia, 2

Defensive Player of the Year
Reece Beekman, Virginia, 29 votes
Leaky Black, North Carolina, 18
Jesse Edwards, Syracuse, 13
Dereck Lively II, Duke, 6
Federiko Federiko, Pitt, 3
Ja'von Franklin, Georgia Tech, 3
Justyn Mutts, Virginia Tech, 2
Norchad Omier, Miami, 1

Most Improved Player
Quinten Post, Boston College, 23 votes
Sean Pedulla, Virginia Tech, 14
Jordan Miller, Miami, 14
Chase Hunter, Clemson, 10
Cameron Hildreth, Wake Forest, 3
Casey Morsell, NC State, 3
Wooga Poplar, Miami, 3
Jesse Edwards, Syracuse, 2
JJ Traynor, Louisville, 1
Federiko Federiko, Pitt, 1
Jeremy Roach, Duke, 1

Sixth Man of the Year
Nike Sibande, Pitt, 47 votes
Ben Vander Plas, Virginia, 8
Ryan Young, Duke, 7
Dariq Whitehead, Duke, 6
Bensley Joseph, Miami, 3
Deivon Smith, Georgia Tech, 2
Devin McGlockton, Boston College, 2

Hah! Nailed it.

I picked Wong and said if it based more on player production, it would be between Appleby and Bacot.

Flip should be on 1st team over Burton imo. I don't have too many major qualms with much else though.

Imagine what UVA could accomplish in this league if we had a top 10 player or a top 3 coach

Flip should have been on first team. Leaky should have been DPOY though. Beekman is very good but to me logic would dictate it would be way more difficult to be an effective defender on this UNC team than on a UVA team that excels defensively and is way more cohesive on that end. Leaky basically eliminated the POY when they faced off.

Last edited:
Hah! Nailed it.

I picked Wong and said if it based more on player production, it would be between Appleby and Bacot.

Flip should have been on first team. Leaky should have been DPOY though. Beekman is very good but to me logic would dictate it would be way more difficult to be an effective defender on this UNC team than on a UVA team that excels defensively and is way more cohesive on that end. Leaky basically eliminated the POY when they faced off.

Yeah, Wong absolutely got the boost from Miami finishing #1, along with UNC having a disappointing season. If UNC finished higher I think it def would've been Bacot.

Yeah, Wong absolutely got the boost from Miami finishing #1, along with UNC having a disappointing season. If UNC finished higher I think it def would've been Bacot.

Wong is a fantastic player. I have zero issues with him winning it. They had a great year and he was a big reason why.

ADVERTISEMENT