ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Anniversary

cut-you.gif
RollLaugh

It reeks of insecurity. I'm surprised it doesnt bother you more, since you spend so much time on here pretending to be an alpha.
Why would it bother me? They played basketball that year, UNC was undefeated that year, the helms foundation named UNC champions that year.
UNC chooses to honor the kids that played on that team. If I had a relative that played back then & a school didn’t acknowledge their accomplishment, I’d be pissed.
If the NCAA ever breaks up or if schools break away from them, are you OK with every school starting all over again? Will you still count NCAA titles if that happens?

Why would it bother me? They played basketball that year, UNC was undefeated that year, the helms foundation named UNC champions that year.
UNC chooses to honor the kids that played on that team. If I had a relative that played back then & a school didn’t acknowledge their accomplishment, I’d be pissed.
If the NCAA ever breaks up or if schools break away from them, are you OK with every school starting all over again? Will you still count NCAA titles if that happens?

The retroactive Helms titles were the well-researched opinions of one person about teams that played during an era when, due to factors outside their control (e.g., minimal schedules, lack of intersectional play, differing rule interpretations, minimal statistics), it is difficult to know or assess the relative strength of the teams.

That is precisely why Kentucky doesn't claim their 7 bread banners. Otherwise, we'd be 15 time national champions.

The retroactive Helms titles were the well-researched opinions of one person about teams that played during an era when, due to factors outside their control (e.g., minimal schedules, lack of intersectional play, differing rule interpretations, minimal statistics), it is difficult to know or assess the relative strength of the teams.

That is precisely why Kentucky doesn't claim their 7 bread banners. Otherwise, we'd be 15 time national champions.
I know the history of the Helms. Actually you wouldn’t have 15 titles. Some of your Helms title are in the same year you won an NCAA title. UNC actually has more than 1 Helms title.
UK fans love to brag about the all time time wins records. The 1st NCAA championship was in 1939. How many of UK’s wins are before 1939? Why do they count?

Reactions: j-doolsheels
I know the history of the Helms. Actually you wouldn’t have 15 titles. Some of your Helms title are in the same year you won an NCAA title. UNC actually has more than 1 Helms title.
UK fans love to brag about the all time time wins records. The 1st NCAA championship was in 1939. How many of UK’s wins are before 1939? Why do they count?
You're confusing actual competitive games with the opinion of a bread maker.

Kentucky counts those games because, well ... they played in those games and won. They don't count those Helms, because, well ... those were just the opinion of some dude who made bread, which really doesn't mean anything. There was no tournament to decide a winner. There was nothing competitive about it. The fact that you're trying to liken the 2 is absurd.

Oh, and UK most certainly does have 7 Helms titles. Not that I/we care, but you're wrong.

Last edited:
Here's some insight on UNC's 1924 'National Championship' via the late Al Featherston, who passed away earlier this month:

Time out for a brief discussion about UNC's so-called 1924 'Helms Foundation' national title. UNC fans would have you believe that's a pre-NCAA poll that's similar to the championships awarded in college football today.

It's not.

The Helms Foundation titles were awarded starting in the early 1940s. A committee of so-called experts went back and determined champions from the 1920s and 1930s.

I have no idea who was on the committee, but I know their knowledge of basketball history is not very good. While UNC did go 26-0 and win the Southern Conference championship in Atlanta that season, the White Phantoms (as they were known) were strictly a regional phenomenon. They played nobody outside the South.

The problem is that Southern basketball just wasn't very good in that era. UNC found that out a year later when they repeated as Southern Conference champions, but ventured north and lost three straight -- two by lopsided margins -- to Eastern teams.

The best basketball in 1924 was played in the East and Midwest. And what the Helms researchers ignored is that there was a national tournament that season, sponsored by the AAU. Butler, which beat the teams that were perceived as the best in the country, won that event and also claims a 1924 national title.

You're confusing actual competitive games with the opinion of a bread maker.

Kentucky counts those games because, well ... they played in those games and won. They don't count those Helms, because, well ... those were just the opinion of some dude who made bread, which really doesn't mean anything. There was no tournament to decide a winner. There was nothing competitive about it. The fact that you're trying to liken the 2 is absurd.
I think you spend too much time on Jon Scott’s website & worrying what UNC hangs in their gym.
For someone that doesn’t care about the opinion of a bread maker, UK fans spend a lot of time worrying about it.

Reactions: AWilli6995
I think you spend too much time on Jon Scott’s website & worrying what UNC hangs in their gym.
For someone that doesn’t care about the opinion of a bread maker, UK fans spend a lot of time worrying about it.
Not sure what you want me to say to this ... I guess don't post pics of Helms titles and knowledgeable posters won't make fun of it.

UK fans don't care about the opinion of a bread maker. That's why we don't claim to be 15 time National Champions. lol

Reactions: kyjeff1
Here's some insight on UNC's 1924 'National Championship' via the late Al Featherston, who passed away earlier this month:

Time out for a brief discussion about UNC's so-called 1924 'Helms Foundation' national title. UNC fans would have you believe that's a pre-NCAA poll that's similar to the championships awarded in college football today.

It's not.

The Helms Foundation titles were awarded starting in the early 1940s. A committee of so-called experts went back and determined champions from the 1920s and 1930s.

I have no idea who was on the committee, but I know their knowledge of basketball history is not very good. While UNC did go 26-0 and win the Southern Conference championship in Atlanta that season, the White Phantoms (as they were known) were strictly a regional phenomenon. They played nobody outside the South.

The problem is that Southern basketball just wasn't very good in that era. UNC found that out a year later when they repeated as Southern Conference champions, but ventured north and lost three straight -- two by lopsided margins -- to Eastern teams.

The best basketball in 1924 was played in the East and Midwest. And what the Helms researchers ignored is that there was a national tournament that season, sponsored by the AAU. Butler, which beat the teams that were perceived as the best in the country, won that event and also claims a 1924 national title.
Good read. Thanks for posting that. I never knew some of those things.
The fact that Butler also claims a 1924 title is certainly interesting.
My opinion is that schools like UK, UNC, KU, UCLA and Duke should never display Helms titles. It's too much of a reach and comes off as a bit little league-ish.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Butler claims a 1924 AAU championship, not a Helms championship.
In the 23-24 season UNC beat Dook twice & UK once. Sorry if they weren’t any good then.

It's not.

1923-24
Record: 11-7
AAU NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
Coach: Harlan O. Page
Captain: Hugh Middlesworth
L Iowa 23-26
L Franklin 19-35
L DePauw 21-36
W Chicago 26-17
L DePauw 17-23
W Hanover 32-24
L Illinois 27-28
L Wabash 23-28
W Wabash 35-17
W Hanover 38-21
L Wisconsin 23-25
W Marquette 24-18
W Haskell Inst. 51-18
W Franklin 36-22
W Schooley-Woodstock# 34-29
W Hillyards# 35-29
W Kansas St. Teachers# 40-21
W K. C. Athletic Club# 30-26
#AAU National Tournament.

This is Butler’s 1923-24 schedule. You still want to use them as an example?

Butler claims a 1924 AAU championship, not a Helms championship.
In the 23-24 season UNC beat Dook twice & UK once. Sorry if they weren’t any good then.
UK has 8 legitimate NCAA championships, 7 bread banners, and more all time wins. Sorry UNC hasn't been as good.

Actually it's harder. You can't win titles when you're on probation.
Excellent observation. I guess it's fair to say UK could have even more than 15 8 titles if the corrupt NCAA hadn't interfered.

At least we’re on the same page with UK & their multiple probations. Step in the right direction.

Are you serious Clark??? You said yourself you started this thread as a bait thread! Better hustle back and read it again so you can make excuses hard nipples!!!

Reactions: KYtotheCore
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT