ADVERTISEMENT

GOTY: Buffalo at Marquette

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
This game might very well have more to do with NCAA seeding than any game in 2018. A win for Buffalo and they could conceivably run the table and be in the conversation for a #1 seed come March.

Should be a great game featuring some of the best guards in the country, Massinburg and Harris for Buffalo and Howard for Marquette.

This game might very well have more to do with NCAA seeding than any game in 2018. A win for Buffalo and they could conceivably run the table and be in the conversation for a #1 seed come March.

Should be a great game featuring some of the best guards in the country, Massinburg and Harris for Buffalo and Howard for Marquette.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself Sparky. Buffalo has been a surprise so far, but they are not top 4. In no particular order, the #1 seeds are likely to be one of the following:

Duke
Kansas
UNC
Mich
Mich St
Tenn
Gonzaga
UVA - although haven't beaten anyone yet

Marq and UB don't even make the next tier IMO of Aub, TTech, etc.

Getting a bit ahead of yourself Sparky. Buffalo has been a surprise so far, but they are not top 4. In no particular order, the #1 seeds are likely to be one of the following:

Duke
Kansas
UNC
Mich
Mich St
Tenn
Gonzaga
UVA - although haven't beaten anyone yet

Marq and UB don't even make the next tier IMO of Aub, TTech, etc.

I think you missed the point.

I agree that Buffalo probably isn't one of the top 4 teams. But if they go undefeated with road wins against West Virginia, Syracuse, and Marquette, how do you deny them a 1 seed?

For context, remember that Gonzaga has been a 1 seed on two different occasions - 2013 with two losses, and 2017 with one loss. Wichita State was a 1 seed in 2014 and they had just 3 top 50 wins... Saint Joe's was a 1 seed in 2004 and they had just 1 win over a top 25 team. If there are 4 teams from power conferences with 3 losses or fewer, I'd say an undefeated Buffalo probably slides to a 2 seed. But odds are, we'll probably see one or two 1 seeds with 5+ losses.

I agree that Buffalo probably isn't one of the top 4 teams. But if they go undefeated with road wins against West Virginia, Syracuse, and Marquette, how do you deny them a 1 seed?

For context, remember that Gonzaga has been a 1 seed on two different occasions - 2013 with two losses, and 2017 with one loss. Wichita State was a 1 seed in 2014 and they had just 3 top 50 wins... Saint Joe's was a 1 seed in 2004 and they had just 1 win over a top 25 team. If there are 4 teams from power conferences with 3 losses or fewer, I'd say an undefeated Buffalo probably slides to a 2 seed. But odds are, we'll probably see one or two 1 seeds with 5+ losses.
I was just about to bring up Wichita St.

With that said, please make us an 8 seed in Buffalo #1 bracket.

I was just about to bring up Wichita St.

Only way an undefeated Buffalo team doesn't get a 1 seed, is if there are 4 MONSTER teams that are heads and shoulders above the rest. There are two very good examples of which I can think of. 2008 with Kansas, Memphis, UCLA, and North Carolina; those teams were juggernauts. I don't think many people were surprised to see them all end up in the Final Four.... The other one was 2015. Honestly, 2015 may have been the deepest year I've ever seen for power schools. Kentucky, Wisconsin, Duke, and Villanova had a combined 9 losses coming into the tournament... and the two seeds weren't two shabby, etiher. Arizona and UVA had 3 losses - and Gonzaga had just 2 losses. Buffalo wouldn't be a 1 seed in 2008 or 2015... but I really think those years are the exception, rather than the rule.

While I'm unsure how close Buffalo is to a 1 seed, they've been fun to watch all season.
I do get what you're saying about how this game will help determine seeding down the line.

Imo, I think this is a bigger game for Marquette (and the nBE).

I believe Buffalo to be the better, but as a Kansas fan I'm inside-cheering for Marquette.
Hope like hell for a great game.

Maybe the committee will give it to them because their record would be impressive on paper, but there will be at least a dozen teams with better road wins by the end of the season.

Maybe the committee will give it to them because their record would be impressive on paper, but there will be at least a dozen teams with better road wins by the end of the season.

I would pick Marquette to win tonight, personally. But if they do win, their resume is very, very strong. Road wins against Marquette, Syracuse, and West Virginia? By the end of the season, I imagine all 3 of those would be top 50 teams. So yes, not likely that an undefeated team with 3 top 50 road wins is surpassed by a 4 or 5 loss team.

I would pick Marquette to win tonight, personally. But if they do win, their resume is very, very strong. Road wins against Marquette, Syracuse, and West Virginia? By the end of the season, I imagine all 3 of those would be top 50 teams. So yes, not likely that an undefeated team with 3 top 50 road wins is surpassed by a 4 or 5 loss team.

Idk if WVU will turn their season around, but I would not count on SU being top 50.

KP has the Cuse at 30something, Torvik at 50 something.
As long as the Cuse aren't dropping games to Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Boston College, Georgia Tech.. in conference, they'll be top 50 end season.

Them vs Lou, Clemson and Miami will determine if they're closer to their 35 (KP) or 52 (Torvik).
Mid-ACC is going to be a load of fun Laughing

Reactions: GE Nole
I think Syracuse will be fine - just need to have Frank Howard regain his form from last year. I'd be very surprised if Cuse fall outside the top 50. We shall see...

Reactions: KisteK
Marquette has 2 top 25 wins already I believe. Solid team, but Buffalo is really good. Probably going to be a good game. If Buffalo does lose, don’t think it really hurts them at all though seeding wise as long as they do well the rest of the season. Already have some solid wins.

Reactions: KisteK
Marquette has 2 top 25 wins already I believe. Solid team, but Buffalo is really good. Probably going to be a good game. If Buffalo does lose, don’t think it really hurts them at all though seeding wise as long as they do well the rest of the season. Already have some solid wins.

I think if Buffalo loses they're eliminated from getting a #1 or #2 seed.

That's the most fun I've had watching a college basketball game all year. Fun to watch.

Love the early season non-conference games. The 1st half was fun but the 2nd half f**king electric all around. Howard torched Buffalo like he was the gotdamn terminator. He was in full-blown NBA Jam video game mode. I’m not sure form tackling could’ve deterred him from scoring 25 straight points. I had no dog in the fight from a fan perspective but found myself 100% all in watching last nights gem!

Theo John and Hauser the Younger will be big factors in how far Marquette goes, imo.

Fun team, really hope they win the BE.

Reactions: Quavarius
How can you say that is a good win when nothing matters but where Marquette is when the season ends?

Let’s see it’s a quad 1 win now and the more Marquette wins it stays that way. Which was the point of the post you quoted.

You have become a shell of your former self. Try harder.

Let’s see it’s a quad 1 win now and the more Marquette wins it stays that way. Which was the point of the post you quoted.

You have become a shell of your former self. Try harder.

So we are allowed to talk about quadrant wins then? Make up your mind.

(Of course I think talking about good wins now is fine, you’re the one who implied we had to wait until the end of the season to talk about them).

ADVERTISEMENT