ADVERTISEMENT

GITT if you are scared, KU fans.

So the better floor coach's strategy was to get badly outplayed for 39 out of 40 minutes?

Your team was loaded and a 1 seed. Michigan was talented but really young that year starting a junior, sophomore, and three freshmen. Didn’t you guys start 4 seniors? Better floor coach doesn’t always mean better team or more experienced players.

Self is a better recruiter than a Beilein and Kansas is a better program than michigan, but I think most people would agree with Beilein being a better floor coach than Self. I don’t see why that makes you defensive.

Your team was loaded and a 1 seed. Michigan was talented but really young that year starting a junior, sophomore, and three freshmen. Didn’t you guys start 4 seniors? Better floor coach doesn’t always mean better team or more experienced players.

Self is a better recruiter than a Beilein and Kansas is a better program than michigan, but I think most people would agree with Beilein being a better floor coach than Self. I don’t see why that makes you defensive.

That team was not loaded. It had one elite scorer and an elite rim protector. Most pundits called Michigan the more talented team and picked them to advance.

I'm not going to blame Self for expecting his senior PG to be able to protect a 10 pt lead with a minute and change left. Self had the better gameplan and controlled the game for 39 min before it was given away.

That team was not loaded. It had one elite scorer and an elite rim protector. Most pundits called Michigan the more talented team and picked them to advance.

I'm not going to blame Self for expecting his senior PG to be able to protect a 10 pt lead with a minute and change left. Self had the better gameplan and controlled the game for 39 min before it was given away.

Plenty of experts had Michigan losing to Shaka Smart’s VCU that year. Hell I think Bilas has North Dakota State beating Michigan round 1. Michigan was the Vegas underdog vs Kansas.

I’m not blaming Self. I just answered the other dudes question but then you got your jimmies rustled.

Last edited:
I’m not really understanding the pushback on this one. Beilein is widely considered one of the best floor coaches in the nation. If he was a great recruiter like the top tier coaches he would be top 5-7 coach. Instead he is a top 10ish coach and he’s that high because of his x’s and o’s (and player development).

I’m not really understanding the pushback on this one. Beilein is widely considered one of the best floor coaches in the nation. If he was a great recruiter like the top tier coaches he would be top 5-7 coach. Instead he is a top 10ish coach and he’s that high because of his x’s and o’s (and player development).
Let’s just not talk about Michigan in a thread about Kansas vs. Clemson, k?

Reactions: tw3301
The Kansas poster asked what happens Bill Self has a week to prepare for S16. That’s where we met you guys. You’re mad that I answered his question?
So you came in to brag about a win years ago and make some dumb claim about having a better coach. Just get out of here.

You actually didn't.

And better floor coach, not better coach. I’d trade Beilein for Self. That doesn’t mean self is better than Beilein in all aspects.

So Beilein’s better coaching strategy was to have the KU point guard get a 10 second violation with nobody guarding him and to have his players jack up 30 footers. Got it!

The Kansas poster asked what happens Bill Self has a week to prepare for S16. That’s where we met you guys. You’re mad that I answered his question?
I’m not mad. I get what you’re saying. Beilen is a great floor coach. Maybe he is better than Self at that. I don’t know. I just don’t think anybody really cares to discuss that 2013 game. You’re kind of stirring the pot here and you know it.

Reactions: tw3301

Beilein routinely signs 4 stars and sprinkles in 5s now and then. Not terribly different from Self. And pretty good for Michigan.

Not sure how "widely considered one of the best" equates to better than Self. So you're confident that Beilein would do better than 30 wins, league champ and 1 or 2 seed every year? Sure, pal.

Reactions: rockchalk4ever
I’m not mad. I get what you’re saying. Beilen is a great floor coach. Maybe he is better than Self at that. I don’t know. I just don’t think anybody really cares to discuss that 2013 game. You’re kind of stirring the pot here and you know it.
That's basically 99% of what he does on this board, which doesn't really bother me except when it derails decent threads. I don't know why people engage him, it goes nowhere and he's obviously trying rustle jimmies.

Well I thought my post was quite obviously a tongue in cheek jab. I wasn't expecting so many people to take offense.

So Beilein’s better coaching strategy was to have the KU point guard get a 10 second violation with nobody guarding him and to have his players jack up 30 footers. Got it!

Self's better strategy was to let the National Player of the Year get a shot off unguarded up by 3? Self's better strategy was to tell his player to pass up game winning layups and kick the ball out for a rushed 3? We can play this game forever.

This is an article from after that season. Coaches had Beilein and Self both in the top 5 of X's and O's coaches. It doesn't prove that one is better than the other at the X's and O's aspect, but it at least shows that it's not just some Michigan homer opinion that Beilein is a top tier floor coach.

http://www.espn.com/blog/jeff-goodman/insider/post?id=849

Last edited:
Beilein routinely signs 4 stars and sprinkles in 5s now and then. Not terribly different from Self. And pretty good for Michigan.

Not sure how "widely considered one of the best" equates to better than Self. So you're confident that Beilein would do better than 30 wins, league champ and 1 or 2 seed every year? Sure, pal.

No, Self is a better recruiter/overall coach. I mean, I literally just said that I think Self is the better coach (see post #53). What part of that do you think translates to me thinking Beilein would do better than Self? Are you brain dead?

No, Self is a better recruiter/overall coach. I mean, I literally just said that I think Self is the better coach (see post #53). What part of that do you think translates to me thinking Beilein would do better than Self? Are you brain dead?

I know what you said, numbnuts. The question is how you think Beilein would do at Kansas, with its resources and advantages. Obviously he'd able able to recruit at a higher level.

The difference between them right now is essentially that one of those 3 stars in a given class might be a 4 or one of the 4s might be a 5. It's not what you're making it out to be. Not to mention that many of Self's highest rated recruits were among his least productive (Diallo, Alexander, Selby, Bragg), largely because they were only around a year.

So, being the better Xs and Os coach and having KU's resources, shouldn't Beilein be able to average 30 wins, win the Big 12 every year and earn a 1 or 2 seed every year?

So, being the better Xs and Os coach and having KU's resources, shouldn't Beilein be able to average 30 wins, win the Big 12 every year and earn a 1 or 2 seed every year?
I believe he would. Beilein is a better tactician and is a master at making adjustments within a tournament.

You saw what JB did with a team full of NBA players in 2013; he took them to the championship game.

He may not be able to match Self's record in the regular season just because its so gaudy but he wouldn't have lost some of these NCAAT games that Self has in recent years.

I believe he would. Beilein is a better tactician and is a master at making adjustments within a tournament.

You saw what JB did with a team full of NBA players in 2013; he took them to the championship game.

He may not be able to match Self's record in the regular season just because its so gaudy but he wouldn't have lost some of these NCAAT games that Self has in recent years.

Probably this

That team full of NBA players was badly outplayed by a moderately talented Self team until the final minute. Sorry...not giving Beilein credit for that flukey finish. Tourney runs take some luck, and he was as lucky as can be that day.

If you think he'd avoid tourney upsets, does that mean you think he's a better coach than K as well? K has had as many early exits as Self, with more talent.

And for that matter, he was as lucky as can be in his last tourney game...

That team full of NBA players was badly outplayed by a moderately talented Self team until the final minute. Sorry...not giving Beilein credit for that flukey finish. Tourney runs take some luck, and he was as lucky as can be that day.

If you think he'd avoid tourney upsets, does that mean you think he's a better coach than K as well? K has had as many early exits as Self, with more talent.

That team was talented but started 3 freshmen and a sophomore. Very young team and they were underdogs vs Kansas but won.

Michigan’s route to the championship game that year was:

NDSU
Shaka smart (VCU)
Bill Self (Kansas)
Billy Donovan (Florida)
Jim Boheim (Syracuse)
Rick Pitino (Louisville)

That’s an impressive run that came up just short. Not giving Beilein credit for the run says that you’re not interested in giving Beilein a fair shake.

That’s impossible to determine. As we’ve seen, anything can happen in March. JB could’ve lost those games, or won. It’s pure speculation.

So all the Kansas fans in here are scared? Good to know

Apparently so.
giphy.gif

Reactions: npreston
@MrBaracus

Why do you think the coaching community considers Beilein such a good x’s and o’s guy?

Did I say they shouldn't? I don't remember that.

Point being, good coaches need luck in the tourney too. He was extremely lucky to advance past the Sweet 16 in 2013 and very fortunate to be in it this year. I'm sure you can admit that.

Did I say they shouldn't? I don't remember that.

Point being, good coaches need luck in the tourney too. He was extremely lucky to advance past the Sweet 16 in 2013 and very fortunate to be in it this year. I'm sure you can admit that.

He did a great job coaching his way to the National Championship game in 2013. I'm not so sure you can admit that.

That’s impossible to determine. As we’ve seen, anything can happen in March. JB could’ve lost those games, or won. It’s pure speculation.

Look at Mr March. 3 straight quick exits, two of which were among his best rosters, and one to a 15 seed. Sh*t happens. To everyone.

Admittedly, it doesn't happen to Calipari often. But that's generally because he has 25 lottery picks and half of them could be asleep and they'd still score more points than a lower seeded midmajor.

Last edited:
Reactions: npreston
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT