ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Chris Mack

Fire Chris Mack?

• Yes

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
Yeah, I remember reading a story in the Lexington Herald Leader about one of the refs writing Tubby a letter apologizing for a call he made late in the game. The fans didn't even have to complain the ref did it on his own.
I've done that. Actually called a coach.:D

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Didn't ruffle my feathers. I can handle someone not agreeing with me. Hell I officiate basketball.......I'm used to that.:D

ANd no one hijacked a thread. Schooner made his usual, "Indiana's not a top job", jab. And unfortunately, I bit.

My basketball knowledge is just fine. As is yours. We just happen to diasgree about UCLA. No biggie.
I’ve said Indiana is a top job. I just don’t think it’s one of the top tier jobs today. Doesn’t mean it’s not a great place to be though. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who thinks that. I’m pretty sure that’s a common belief held by a lot of people.

Bobby Knight tarnished IU. Both were synonymous at the time. You settled for Davis, then Crean didn't work out. Miller is likable, but yet unproven to be an elite coach. IU has not been as attractive as one thinks.

UCLA is a place to go make some money as a coach and hope for the best. Actually it would probably be a great one and done factory given the right coach. Too much pro sports over shadowing college athletics.

I’ve said Indiana is a top job. I just don’t think it’s one of the top tier jobs today. Doesn’t mean it’s not a great place to be though. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who thinks that. I’m pretty sure that’s a common belief held by a lot of people.
Its probably not a job on the same level as a KU, UNC, UK or Duke. And that's due to a success factor. Not a job standpoint. No job is as good as the guy running the show. SO there, I can agree to an extent. But argument isn't as such. My argument is no coach is leaving Indiana to take a job at a UK, KU, UNC or a Duke. Unless of course you have a situation such as Roy's. Then I could see that. And the reasoning is simple:

Say Arch wins a title, goes to a few FF's in the next, 5, 6 or 7 years. It immediately pushes IU back into the tier you are speaking of. Now instead of being an also ran, IU becomes seen as the power it once was. Now they are seen as being on the level of UK, UNC, etc, etc...So why leave? Why leave a job where you are winning, winning titles, going to FF's. And doing so at a blueblood. The job, once perceived as not on level of UK, KU, etc, etc..is now elevated to that level.

Why would a coach leave that? Its not like he's coaching at Butler. Has 4-5 really strong years, and is then offered a higher profile job. Its about being able to maintain. Its why coaches leave places like Butler, Sienna, Memphis, Tulsa, etc, etc...They do so b/c the resources are better at your UK's...Duke's...UNC's, etc, etc..

If Miller wins a title, goes to some FF's. Or gets into some Elite 8's. It immediately elevates the status of the IU job. Elevates to the level you speak of. So again---why would he leave such a job?

Mack is a temporary coach at best. Three years and he’s gone.

Its probably not a job on the same level as a KU, UNC, UK or Duke. And that's due to a success factor. Not a job standpoint. No job is as good as the guy running the show. SO there, I can agree to an extent. But argument isn't as such. My argument is no coach is leaving Indiana to take a job at a UK, KU, UNC or a Duke. Unless of course you have a situation such as Roy's. Then I could see that. And the reasoning is simple:

Say Arch wins a title, goes to a few FF's in the next, 5, 6 or 7 years. It immediately pushes IU back into the tier you are speaking of. Now instead of being an also ran, IU becomes seen as the power it once was. Now they are seen as being on the level of UK, UNC, etc, etc...So why leave? Why leave a job where you are winning, winning titles, going to FF's. And doing so at a blueblood. The job, once perceived as not on level of UK, KU, etc, etc..is now elevated to that level.

Why would a coach leave that? Its not like he's coaching at Butler. Has 4-5 really strong years, and is then offered a higher profile job. Its about being able to maintain. Its why coaches leave places like Butler, Sienna, Memphis, Tulsa, etc, etc...They do so b/c the resources are better at your UK's...Duke's...UNC's, etc, etc..

If Miller wins a title, goes to some FF's. Or gets into some Elite 8's. It immediately elevates the status of the IU job. Elevates to the level you speak of. So again---why would he leave such a job?
If he’s around long enough to accomplish that in 6-7 years then yeah he’s probably staying. Wouldn’t count on it though.

Bobby Knight tarnished IU. Both were synonymous at the time. You settled for Davis, then Crean didn't work out. Miller is likable, but yet unproven to be an elite coach. IU has not been as attractive as one thinks.

UCLA is a place to go make some money as a coach and hope for the best. Actually it would probably be a great one and done factory given the right coach. Too much pro sports over shadowing college athletics.
Worst thing was the hiring of Sampson. IU had better options before Davis. Should have jumped on those. After Sampson, no one wanted the job. THough I enjoyed it, IU going to the title game in 2002 was bad, in some ways. It pretty much forced IU to extend Davis.

Coaches know what IU can offer. Fans not as much. What Self, Cal, Roy, etc, etc...have done at their respective schools, they would have done so as well at IU. How some of you cannot see this is beyond me.

If he’s around long enough to accomplish that in 6-7 years then yeah he’s probably staying. Wouldn’t count on it though.
Why not? Being around, or the winning part. I do hope a said job at UK, Duke, KU, etc, opens up. I won't sweat for one single minute. IU has sucked ass of late. But its still a job that offers as much as any job can. To not see that is just asinine.

Why not? Being around, or the winning part. I do hope a said job at UK, Duke, KU, etc, opens up. I won't sweat for one single minute. IU has sucked ass of late. But its still a job that offers as much as any job can. To not see that is just asinine.
I wouldn’t count on a title and a few Final Fours in the next 6-7 years. He has a better chance of being fired than accomplishing that.

I wouldn’t count on a title and a few Final Fours in the next 6-7 years. He has a better chance of being fired than accomplishing that.
Meh....we shall see. Its hard to get to a FF. harder to win a title. But the resources are there. If he's the coach most IU fans , the media and his peers thinks he is, then IU should be in that position. If not, then he's not the coach most think, and this discussion becomes mute. Because if he's fired at IU, its gonna be because he didn't win. I doubt anyone if UK's, Duke, etc, etc..caliber comes a knocking.

But if he does. He's at IU for a long, long time.

Ok, Schooner...For you, I'll bite. Indiana's a Top 5 job. It offers just as much, if not more than any school. The perception of IU and its "job status" is blurred because of its lack of success the past 20 years. That's not due to being a bad job. That's due to bad hires. Butler has been much better than IU the past 10 years or so. Do you think Butler is a better job?
I'd be willing to bet any amount of $$$ that Miller wouldn't leave IU for UK, UNC, Duke or Kansas, if he wins big at IU. For example. Say Arch wins a title, goes to a few FF's in the next 5-6 seasons. You think he'd leave tht type of winning, to go start over at a KU, UNC, etc, etc...? I mean sure, he'd leave if he done this at a Wichita State, etc, etc...type of school. But not at Indiana. IU's not a stepping stone job. As much as you want that to be true...Its just not.

There...I bit. You happy now?:D
IU is most definitely not a top 5 job. And Archie would give his left nut to be at UK, UNC, Duke or North Carolina. So far he's been very meh. Not very impressive to me but hasn't exactly crapped the bed either. Mack would have been the better hire

IU is most definitely not a top 5 job. And Archie would give his left nut to be at UK, UNC, Duke or North Carolina. So far he's been very meh. Not very impressive to me but hasn't exactly crapped the bed either. Mack would have been the better hire
Coming from you....I feel even better about IU. You cannot be rational anything IU. So had you said different, I probably think different. But you didn't. So don't.

Worst thing was the hiring of Sampson. IU had better options before Davis. Should have jumped on those. After Sampson, no one wanted the job. THough I enjoyed it, IU going to the title game in 2002 was bad, in some ways. It pretty much forced IU to extend Davis.

Coaches know what IU can offer. Fans not as much. What Self, Cal, Roy, etc, etc...have done at their respective schools, they would have done so as well at IU. How some of you cannot see this is beyond me.

I can see it, the potential is there no doubt. Maybe Archie is the guy that will do all the good things for your program. I think you summed up it nicely in one of your posts.

Coming from you....I feel even better about IU. You cannot be rational anything IU. So had you said different, I probably think different. But you didn't. So don't.
Meh.....nothing to do with IU. Aimed at your biased and piss poor comment. The board is bashing you for such an idiotoc post. Can't take the criticism without having a meltdown, stay off message boards. Or stop making dumb post

Meh.....nothing to do with IU. Aimed at your biased and piss poor comment. The board is bashing you for such an idiotoc post. Can't take the criticism without having a meltdown, stay off message boards. Or stop making dumb post
Again, coming from you----not really worth a response. If you don't think IU is one of the more prestigious jobs in CBB, thats your ignorance you need to fix---Not mine.

Again, coming from you----not really worth a response. If you don't think IU is one of the more prestigious jobs in CBB, thats your ignorance you need to fix---Not mine.
Seems like you should be more focused on finding someone to agree with you instead of worrying about me. You made the dumbass comment, either own it or move on. And you said top 5 so stop backtracking

Seems like you should be more focused on finding someone to agree with you instead of worrying about me. You made the dumbass comment, either own it or move on. And you said top 5 so stop backtracking
Well, I mean, "one of the more prestigious jobs", is Top 5. Sorry, next time I'll write in crayon---with pictures.

Reactions: UL_1986
ADVERTISEMENT