ADVERTISEMENT

Fire Chris Mack

Fire Chris Mack?

• Yes

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters
It has noting to do with winning/losing. That's just a small part of it. A part that blinds to many people. UK was awful under BCG. Did those two years make UK a bad job? Sutton was a meh, to a somewhat bad hire. So duiring thoe 6 years of meh, make UK a bad job? UNC was awful under Matt. Did that make it a bad job?

There's not any job that offers what IU cannot offer. Its just finding the right coach who can take advantage of those amenities offer. Unfortunately, IU has sucked at doing so.
I get what your thinking, no offense. Using your logic, why isn't UCLA on your top 5 list?

Reactions: tw3301
Not defensive. I just think your take is stupid. Several schools to me is much more than UK, Duke, KU or UNC. Not to mention, those jobs not offering a coach anything that IU cannot. For some reason, you are having a hard time understanding this. You act as if Bill Self couldn't win at IU, like he has at Kansas. That is just stupid. Only thing Self couldn't do is win 404 straight conference titles at Indiana. You are suggesting that coaches like Self, Roy, Cal or K, couldn't have the same success at Indiana, as hey have enjoyed at their respective schools. That's just silly, man. Its all about hiring the right guy. IU has failed miserably at this. For years, Indiana had an administration that to be quite blunt, was tired of seeing the basketball program overshadowed the University. The right hire wasn't important. Then they saw the light...But it was too late. So they panicked, and hired Sampson. A great coach. But an atrocious hire. A hire that set the program back another 10 years.
Had IU gotten this right after Knight, this wouldn't even be a topic.
For the record. Roy Willaims couldn't win a championship at KU and he's won 3 at UNC. Blue blood schools are on different levels.

I get what your thinking, no offense. Using your logic, why isn't UCLA on your top 5 list?
Because I don't think they offer what UNC, IU, UK, Duke or KU offers. Exposure, fan base, facilities(have you seen Pauley??), money, and to an extent, tradition. As I said, you can't just put all your eggs in one basket, i.e. winning/losing, when defining the prestige of a job. To do so is silly. It would be like me saying that UCLA is the best job because they have 11 titles. Silly, huh?

For the record. Roy Willaims couldn't win a championship at KU and he's won 3 at UNC. Blue blood schools are on different levels.
Meh, not really. Roy not winning a title at KU isn't b/c UNC was a better situation. Winning a title is hard. It takes some luck. ROy had some damn good teams at KU. Those teams didn't win a title for many of reasons. UNC being a better job was not one of them.

Meh, not really. Roy not winning a title at KU isn't b/c UNC was a better situation. Winning a title is hard. It takes some luck. ROy had some damn good teams at KU. Those teams didn't win a title for many of reasons. UNC being a better job was not one of them.
I was just giving KU fans shit.

Not defensive. I just think your take is stupid. Several schools to me is much more than UK, Duke, KU or UNC. Not to mention, those jobs not offering a coach anything that IU cannot. For some reason, you are having a hard time understanding this. You act as if Bill Self couldn't win at IU, like he has at Kansas. That is just stupid. Only thing Self couldn't do is win 404 straight conference titles at Indiana. You are suggesting that coaches like Self, Roy, Cal or K, couldn't have the same success at Indiana, as hey have enjoyed at their respective schools. That's just silly, man. Its all about hiring the right guy. IU has failed miserably at this. For years, Indiana had an administration that to be quite blunt, was tired of seeing the basketball program overshadowed the University. The right hire wasn't important. Then they saw the light...But it was too late. So they panicked, and hired Sampson. A great coach. But an atrocious hire. A hire that set the program back another 10 years.
Had IU gotten this right after Knight, this wouldn't even be a topic.
I haven’t suggested anything about Roy, Self, Cal or K.

I’m just saying the Indiana job is a tier below the places they are now.

I haven’t suggested anything about Roy, Self, Cal or K.

I’m just saying the Indiana job is a tier below the places they are now.
The IU job has definitely lost it's luster. It will take a huge undertaking and many hours of work just to get them back to respectable in the Big 1o.

The IU job has definitely lost it's luster. It will take a huge undertaking and many hours of work just to get them back to respectable in the Big 1o.
Agreed on the job losing its appeal. Not sure why that’s so difficult for Borden to comprehend. Miller has the potential to move them back up into the top tier but it’s gonna take a few years assuming all goes well.

IMO, jobs are defined as such.

1. Is it a job where you have to bulid a brand?

2. is it where you have to reestablish a brand?

3. Is it a job where you have to maintain a brand?

In other words, could a Bill Self go to Nevada, and win like he has at Kansas? Probably not. But...could he go to IU, Duke, UNC, KU and do so? Absolutely.

Its more of what a job offers. Nevada doesn't offer what IU, Duke, UNC, KU or UK offer. MOF, NO SCHOOL does. And by NO school, I mean none. Not even UCLA, and their 11 titles. Not MSU, Uconn...Not Wisconsin. To much emphasis is put on winning/losing. And thats just silly.

IU has been bad. That doesn't mean that suddenly, what IU offers is gone. Last I checked, IU still has Assembly Hall. Still has 5 national titles. Still is Top 5-10 in NCAA wins, NCAAT wins, NCAAT appearances, titles, final fours. Still has top notch facilities. A rabid fan base second to only UK. A very, very solid, good recruiting base.

This^^^^^ to me is what defines a job. Not what a program has or has not done.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Agreed on the job losing its appeal. Not sure why that’s so difficult for Borden to comprehend. Miller has the potential to move them back up into the top tier but it’s gonna take a few years assuming all goes well.
Not every coach can put a blue blood back on the map like Calipari and his recruiting.

Some schools, even blue bloods, need some time to get back to top shelf talent/achievements.

Is it silly if I don't think UCLA offers the same as IU. It's not close.
What does UCLA offer? They were basically a decade program. Noting before Wooden. Nothing really after Wooden. They have no following. Their facilities are outdated. All their games are on at midnight for most of the country.. TV exposure is limitrd outside of the one game they play in the Champions Classic.

Only thing UCLA really offers that is better is sunshine. A lot of it.

Is it silly if I don't think UCLA offers the same as IU. It's not close.
I know trolling when I see it. You are trolling.
Last comment, compare IU vs UCLA in NCAA tournament. Having a new shiny weight room doesn't make you a top 5 program. Bloomington isnt LA. If wins, NCAA tournament success doesn't equate to top 5 status, seek help

It's silly if you think UCLA doesn't offer the same as IU.
I've answered this. No, its not silly. UCLA doesn;t offer not only what IU can...But nor can it offer what UK, UNC, Duke or KU can.
UCLA was a one decade program. A 10 year venture a top the CBB scene. Followed and the preceded by 75 years of "meh".

What does UCLA offer? They were basically a decade program. Noting before Wooden. Nothing really after Wooden. They have no following. Their facilities are outdated. All their games are on at midnight for most of the country.. TV exposure is limitrd outside of the one game they play in the Champions Classic.

I turned on my Troll meter, it's going crazy . Lol

Last comment, compare IU vs UCLA in NCAA tournament. Having a new shiny weight room doesn't make you a top 5 program. Bloomington isnt LA. If wins, NCAA tournament success doesn't equate to top 5 status, seek help
ANd Lexington isn't LA. Do you think UCLA compares to UK? Or UNC? Or Duke? Or Kansas? I don't.

OK guy. You know trolling when you see it.

Reactions: oldsports_
ANd Lexington isn't LA. Do you think UCLA compares to UK? Or UNC? Or Duke? Or Kansas? I don't.
No I don't, but they are above IU. UCLA made noise in the 2000s....2006.2007.2008. IU hasn't been seen since Fresh Prince of Bel Air was on TV

How would you rate UConn vs IU?
Not close. Again. you are doing what Schooner is...Using recent success as THE barometer. If you wanna do that---Then UConn's a better job than UK; 4 titles since 1999. Uk has one.

No I don't, but they are above IU. UCLA made noise in the 2000s....2006.2007.2008. IU hasn't been seen since Fresh Prince of Bel Air was on TV
Fresh Prince aired in 2002? That's when IU last plated for a title.

You think UCLA is above IU when it comes to job status? Really? I don't think UCLA is close to UK, UNC, Duke, KU or IU.

You think I'm trolling?
Well maybe I'm giving you too much credit for your basketball knowledge.
I'm done hijacking a thread over something completely off topic, make a IU thread, I'll join later. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers

Not close. Again. you are doing what Schooner is...Using recent success as THE barometer. If you wanna do that---Then UConn's a better job than UK; 4 titles since 1999. Uk has one.
I was actually trying to poke holes in the notation of johnny come latelies are some how better than long history of success.

...and you could have least went back to '96. :mad:

Well maybe I'm giving you too much credit for your basketball knowledge.
I'm done hijacking a thread over something completely off topic, make a IU thread, I'll join later. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers
Didn't ruffle my feathers. I can handle someone not agreeing with me. Hell I officiate basketball.......I'm used to that.:D

ANd no one hijacked a thread. Schooner made his usual, "Indiana's not a top job", jab. And unfortunately, I bit.

My basketball knowledge is just fine. As is yours. We just happen to diasgree about UCLA. No biggie.

I was actually trying to poke holes in the notation of johnny come latelies are some how better than long history of success.

...and you could have least went back to '96. :mad:
Gotcha brother. Even if I did go back to '96...You still trail UConn.Winking

True, but at least we don't trial Maryland since then. :p
You know,.....When IU took the lead in that game, with 9 minutes to go, I thought we were gonna win. I really did. Then Dixon comes down and drains a 25-footer, and that was that. That was a really good MD team.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Couldn't the same be said of IU and Bobby Knight?

Unless Archie is very successful at IU I think there are several jobs that are more appealing in the Big 10 alone so i dont think it is a top 5 job nationally. Indiana just doesn't have the brand they used to because they've been meh for 25-30 years.

You know,.....When IU took the lead in that game, with 9 minutes to go, I thought we were gonna win. I really did. Then Dixon comes down and drains a 25-footer, and that was that. That was a really good MD team.
They put UK out that year as well.

Couldn't the same be said of IU and Bobby Knight?

Unless Archie is very successful at IU I think there are several jobs that are more appealing in the Big 10 alone so i dont think it is a top 5 job nationally. Indiana just doesn't have the brand they used to because they've been meh for 25-30 years.
No. Branch McCraken, who's in the HOF, won 2 national titles at IU well before the arrival of Knight. Since Knight, IU has meh. Real meh. IMO, IU's success isn't regulated to a 10 year stretch. Plus, when you add all the other aspects, I just think IU's a more attractive job.

I can get the arguement of [possibly] not being a Top 5 job nationally...But several more appealing jobs in the Big 10 is silly.

Again, and JMO, i just think to much emphasis is being put on recent success. If thats the case, you would then believe Butler is a better job. Do you believe that?

Note: I did check out 24.7's Top 20 list. IU came in at #7.

ADVERTISEMENT