ADVERTISEMENT

Exhibition season

First off, any list that doesn't include Huggins is laughable. Secondly, I asked your opinion...Not that of a sportswriter. I am sure if I looked, I could find a list that differs from this one.
Also, I love Miller....love Holtmann. But to call either a better coach than Huggins, right now, is asinine. Dude has lost more games than either have won. Huggins is a terrific coach, and the margin between he and JB isn't all that great. If any at all. What is helping JB is the past feew years. Makes you forget about the two losing seasons....one .500 season...12 or more losses in 7 of his 11 seasons at UM. Missing the NCAAT three times. Lately, he's had it going. And he's a terrific coach. But I mean, in between those NCAA runner-up seasons, he's been pretty, well, meh.

Good coach, though. Really good. Just don't think its the stretch you think it is that Hugs could be/or is ,better.

To be honest, I don’t even care about Huggins. The Beilein trashing coming from the WVU fan comes off a bit cringey, thoigh
I like both. JB has got it going right now. Plus, just seems like a really good person as well. Same with Hugs. You couldn't go wrong with either.

First off, any list that doesn't include Huggins is laughable. Secondly, I asked your opinion...Not that of a sportswriter. I am sure if I looked, I could find a list that differs from this one.
Also, I love Miller....love Holtmann. But to call either a better coach than Huggins, right now, is asinine. Dude has lost more games than either have won. Huggins is a terrific coach, and the margin between he and JB isn't all that great. If any at all. What is helping JB is the past feew years. Makes you forget about the two losing seasons....one .500 season...12 or more losses in 7 of his 11 seasons at UM. Missing the NCAAT three times. Lately, he's had it going. And he's a terrific coach. But I mean, in between those NCAA runner-up seasons, he's been pretty, well, meh.

Good coach, though. Really good. Just don't think its the stretch you think it is that Hugs could be/or is ,better.

Linking that was easier.

I really don’t care about overall careers, either. Beilein has like 17 tournament wins, two conference championships, two conferences tournament champions, and two trips to the national championship game in the past 6 seasons. I’ll take that right now and going forward.

Linking that was easier.

I really don’t care about overall careers, either. Beilein has like 17 tournament wins, two conference championships, two conferences tournament champions, and two trips to the national championship game in the past 6 seasons. I’ll take that right now and going forward.
That's fine. And fair. Like I said---couldn't go wrong with either. TOurney runs are great. But not always due to some great coaching scheme. Sometimes, the ball bounces your way...A bracket opens up, etc, etc...

Both are terrific.

No one takes anyone saying Huggins > Beilein serious.
Why? Both have two Final Fours. Huggins has 800+ wins....JB 700+. Hugs has won 66% of his games at WVU...JB 63% at Michigan. I mean, where's the huge difference?

Huggins doesn't have the consistent post season success that Beilein has shown that last 10ish years. I still stand by my original comment about Beilein, his teams typically underperform during the regular season and that is the only knock against him imo. But, he's been definitely exceeding expectations during the post season.

Huggins, on the other hand seems like he's always underperforming during the postseason. Even during his main Cincinnati run, time after time, he entered the postseason with one of, if not the best team and always failed to deliver. I honestly can't say that I keep up with West Virginia, at all, so I definitely could be wrong, but I can't remember a single season where his team was considered a realistic title contender.

That's fine. And fair. Like I said---couldn't go wrong with either. TOurney runs are great. But not always due to some great coaching scheme. Sometimes, the ball bounces your way...A bracket opens up, etc, etc...

Both are terrific.

I think good coaching shines in the tournament. I think tournament success means more than comparing winning percentages in the Big 12 career wining percentages in the Big 10.

I think good coaching shines in the tournament. I think tournament success means more than comparing winning percentages in the Big 12 career wining percentages in the Big 10.
So you think Kevin Ollie is a good coach? After all, he's 7-1 in the NCAAT.
Also, who compared Big 10/12 winning percentages? I didn't.

Huggins doesn't have the consistent post season success that Beilein has shown that last 10ish years. I still stand by my original comment about Beilein, his teams typically underperform during the regular season and that is the only knock against him imo. But, he's been definitely exceeding expectations during the post season.

Huggins, on the other hand seems like he's always underperforming during the postseason. Even during his main Cincinnati run, time after time, he entered the postseason with one of, if not the best team and always failed to deliver. I honestly can't say that I keep up with West Virginia, at all, so I definitely could be wrong, but I can't remember a single season where his team was considered a realistic title contender.
In fairness to Huggins, had Kenyon Martin not broken his leg, he may have won his first title. And at worst, went to his 2nd FF there.

JB lately has been on fire.

So you think Kevin Ollie is a good coach? After all, he's 7-1 in the NCAAT.
Also, who compared Big 10/12 winning percentages? I didn't.

Nah, sometimes it comes down to luck and players getting hot. I think it takes a good coach to run through a gauntlet if Shaka Smart’s VCU havoc defense, Bill Self’s Kansas, Billy Donovan’s Florida, and Jim Boheim’s zone in a week span. That’s impressive to me.

Why? Both have two Final Fours. Huggins has 800+ wins....JB 700+. Hugs has won 66% of his games at WVU...JB 63% at Michigan. I mean, where's the huge difference?

The difference is beilein has missed the ncaa tourney 40% of the time he's been a coach at power conference programs.

Pretty sure hes missed the tourney as many times at michigan as huggs has in almost 30 combined years of coaching at wvu and uc.

I think Silvio will be missed.
After watching our 2 exhibitions--we are missing exactly what he brings to the table. DMac should look more competent as the seasons progresses, but he is not there.

ADVERTISEMENT