ADVERTISEMENT

Emoni Bates commits to MSU

I don't see it. He's an incredible talent, but he weighs like 130lbs at 6'9". Unless a team wanted to stash him for a couple of years, or draft based purely on potential.
He’s like 185, not 130. He also won National Player if the year in highschool over Cade Cunningham, Kuminga, Patrick Baldwin etc. The kid can play, even if he is skinny.

130 would be unhealthy skinny. He seems to have put on a little weight even compared to last year, I’d guess he weighs around there now.

130 was obviously said in jest. The point is, he would get destroyed physically by current NBA players. So again, the only way I see him going #1 now is if an NBA team was planning on stashing him somewhere until he gets stronger.

130 was obviously said in jest. The point is, he would get destroyed physically by current NBA players. So again, the only way I see him going #1 now is if an NBA team was planning on stashing him somewhere until he gets stronger.
I understand he’s not the bulkiest, but I honestly think he is the exception to that rule, at least currently, similar to Kevin Durant. KD could not do a single bench press at the combine and was easily the best player in that draft.

Emoni is just so talented he can still be dominant while not being physically imposing like a LeBron.

I doubt any team would pass on Bates at number 1, even this year at 16 if it were allowed. No one wants to be the team that passed up on a player with his potential. Obv it’s hard to say he’s guaranteed to be a sure fire hall of Famer or generational talent at this point,but potential and work ethic is already there by all accounts.

No one wants to be the team that drafted Bowie over Jordan, or oden over KD, or traded Kobe for Vlade Divac.

No one would pass up the opportunity to draft a kid with his talent and potential, even if they knew it would take a few years to get him acclimated to the NBA. I mea this guy has been the most hyped up recruit since Lebron and he’s not even a jr in HS yet.

Last edited:
I was fixing to ask who would it be then in your opinion. Dude was on the cover of SI as a HS sophomore. Hes been mentioned as the best player in high school regardless of class for well over a year.

Only person I can think of that even comes close is probably Andrew Wiggins or maybe John Wall but im not old enough to remember Magic or Bird or Lew Alcindor as college recruits. But personally i Think bates will receive more hype than either Wiggins or Wall before he steps foot in East Lansing, if he hasn’t already received more as a HS sophomore.

Now again I know none of that really means anything, and plenty of recruits never lived up to their hype, but he has definitely received seemingly nothing but praise and not much criticism of any perceived holes in his game except the fact that he was somewhat slight of build (I haven’t seen him play in a while obv so idk if the 205 number is currently accurate or not) but regardless he’s only 16 years old so he definitely has plenty of time to develop his body. Will he ever be lebron James size? No probably not, I mean who is, hell who has ever been.

I’m obv not ready to crown him as anything yet except a highly regarded recruit as that’s all he is at this point. But when you look at his skill set, his work ethic, and his god given talent and size it’s hard not to be excited about his future as a basketball player.

I thought it was either 1 year out of HS, OR 19 yrs old. Not both.

I'm probably wrong and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Im also to lazy to look it up, but I think it’s both. If not it seems like every top 10 kid in every recruiting class would reclassify to be eligible for the NBA draft a year sooner.

And yea I’m well aware that kids are already Reclassifying at an unprecedented level, but it’s all types of kids, not just sure fire one and dones. I think they see the chance to enter college a year earlier will help their bodies and games evolve, being part of a division 1 program as opposed to a high school team.

And I personally agree with them, that reclassifying and entering college early can significantly help their development, as well as getting accustomed to the program.

Reactions: JRMSU and SpartanJD
I was fixing to ask who would it be then in your opinion. Dude was on the cover of SI as a HS sophomore. Hes been mentioned as the best player in high school regardless of class for well over a year.

Only person I can think of that even comes close is probably Andrew Wiggins or maybe John Wall but im not old enough to remember Magic or Bird or Lew Alcindor as college recruits. But personally i Think bates will receive more hype than either Wiggins or Wall before he steps foot in East Lansing, if he hasn’t already received more as a HS sophomore.

Now again I know none of that really means anything, and plenty of recruits never lived up to their hype, but he has definitely received seemingly nothing but praise and not much criticism of any perceived holes in his game except the fact that he was somewhat slight of build (I haven’t seen him play in a while obv so idk if the 205 number is currently accurate or not) but regardless he’s only 16 years old so he definitely has plenty of time to develop his body. Will he ever be lebron James size? No probably not, I mean who is, hell who has ever been.

I’m obv not ready to crown him as anything yet except a highly regarded recruit as that’s all he is at this point. But when you look at his skill set, his work ethic, and his god given talent and size it’s hard not to be excited about his future as a basketball player.
Yeah he might and probably will be above those guys before he plays in college but he’s not there yet. Remember Greg Oden was the most sure thing center since Lew Alcindor.

Lebron is in a tier of his own but Oden is probably in the top 10 for most hyped American athletes of all time, regardless of the sport.

Im also to lazy to look it up, but I think it’s both. If not it seems like every top 10 kid in every recruiting class would reclassify to be eligible for the NBA draft a year sooner.

And yea I’m well aware that kids are already Reclassifying at an unprecedented level, but it’s all types of kids, not just sure fire one and dones. I think they see the chance to enter college a year earlier will help their bodies and games evolve, being part of a division 1 program as opposed to a high school team.

And I personally agree with them, that reclassifying and entering college early can significantly help their development, as well as getting accustomed to the program.
It is both and I was wrong.

Article X dictated that in order for an American player to be draft eligible, he must be at least 19 years old and at least one NBA season must have elapsed since when he graduated from high school or, if he didn’t graduate, when he would have graduated.

Reactions: Villian07
Yeah he might and probably will be above those guys before he plays in college but he’s not there yet. Remember Greg Oden was the most sure thing center since Lew Alcindor.

Lebron is in a tier of his own but Oden is probably in the top 10 for most hyped American athletes of all time, regardless of the sport.

Right on, I didn’t really follow recruiting very closely when oden was in HS, bc I was in college at the time, killing more brain cells than developing lol.

I knew he was very highly rated bc he was rated above Durant, but didn’t know he was getting as much attention as a top ten recruit of all time. So sad injuries derailed what could have been such an amazing career for Oden.

And yes, very true on Lebron being in a tier of his own.

Last edited:
Kind of off topic but it’s borderline crazy the amount of pressure that is put on these kids by adults, whether by the fans of the program they sign with, or the recruiting experts whose job is to evaluate high schoolers.

I guess it comes with territory, but when you look at a player like Andrew Wiggins, he has had a decent nba career, made a lot of money along the way, but will still most likely be considered a bust just because of all the hype he received in high school. Well that and his draft position, although I’m not so certain the hype didn’t go hand in hand with wheee he was drafted.

Reactions: JDMEvergreen
As the post above said, I would say he might be the most hyped Sophomore ever, but the Andrew Wiggins hype was crazy. Emoni has a chance to pass it, but he hasn’t yet.

Well, yes the Wiggins hype was ridiculously high. But, as @schoonerwest correctly pointed out, Greg Oden's was closest to Lebron because he was i mean a absolute man amongst boys in HS. Defensively as much as offensively. Not that you were comparing them as I re-read your post....

Getting beyond the prtclr class-to-class comparison, Oden became part of the Thad Five well prior to finishing HS, came outta bb-crazy Indiana--was a legend at that level. Oden & OSU delivered on the hype, stopped only by a historically great Florida team.

just giving msu a hard time (though I do tire of Izzo)

IF he stays 2 years that an incredibly huge get.

growing up a fan is not that different from falling in love with campus/coaches/etc... that everyone says about whatever choice the top guy makes...if $100k is the supposed going rate for a top recruit he must really love MSU to choose them over that amount of cash...or maybe the bidding is lower these days if the KU adidas bank is closed and it is just Nike bidding v. nike
Emoni will have over $100 million in contracts his rookie year. $100k doesn’t mean crap.

They’re building his brand. 1 year in college was a huge boost in Zion creating his brand. Emoni is better than Zion with a much higher ceiling, and one year of exposure playing college BB will sell a ton of shoes/merch.

Reactions: kdavid45
Soooo... how are things? SmokinSmile
Stop cheating.

"We're not cheating!"

giphy.gif

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
Izzo going for broke throwing all the money at these kids to get the top recruits to come to MSU.

If you can't get over the hump of just making it to the Final Four all the time.......BUY your way into a national championship. ;)
Yeah we’ve never recruited well before. Lol. Have fun this year being an Iowa fan. A year like this for you guys is once in a lifetime.

Yeah we’ve never recruited well before. Lol. Have fun this year being an Iowa fan. A year like this for you guys is once in a lifetime.
Lulz, we're Iowa, so basically what will happen is they won't have this upcoming season because of Covid, but it will either count against the players, or they will move on because everyone is done waiting for the clear-to-play bat signal........

Watch it happen. #can'thavenicethings

Reactions: JRMSU
Emoni will have over $100 million in contracts his rookie year. $100k doesn’t mean crap.

They’re building his brand. 1 year in college was a huge boost in Zion creating his brand. Emoni is better than Zion with a much higher ceiling, and one year of exposure playing college BB will sell a ton of shoes/merch.
Better than Zion huh? Hasnt played one game in college yet huh? We shall see.

As a Sophomore in highschool, Emoni is far past where Zion was. Will he be as good? Who knows.
He said he was better, he isnt. Pretty simple. And lets see what he does against grown men in college and not 150lb HS kids.

I am not saying he is not good, but he has a lot to prove before he is in the same breath as Zion.

He said he was better, he isnt. Pretty simple. And lets see what he does against grown men in college and not 150lb HS kids.

I am not saying he is not good, but he has a lot to prove before he is in the same breath as Zion.
I agree, he has a lot to prove.

He is just the best Sophomore highschool basketball player we’ve seen since we started tracking this stuff.

Which means absolutely nothing.
It means something. It means he’ll probably be very good going forward. He won Gatorade POY for the whole country at 15.

I don’t think he’s better than Zion. Do I think he has a chance to be? Absolutely.

Reactions: ThatsMrSpartan2U
It means something. It means he’ll probably be very good going forward. He won Gatorade POY for the whole country at 15.

I don’t think he’s better than Zion. Do I think he has a chance to be? Absolutely.

Speaking of being dominant at a young age, I thought Seventh Woods was going to be a demi-God.

Speaking of being dominant at a young age, I thought Seventh Woods was going to be a demi-God.

Are you comparing Emoni Bates to Seventh Woods? I know Seventh Woods has hype, but Emoni won Gatorade POY over Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green, Jonathan Kuminga etc.

I mean shit happens, but some injury or dramatic circumstance would have to happen for him to end up like Seventh Woods

Are you comparing Emoni Bates to Seventh Woods? I know Seventh Woods has hype, but Emoni won Gatorade POY over Cade Cunningham, Jalen Green, Jonathan Kuminga etc.

I mean shit happens, but some injury or dramatic circumstance would have to happen for him to end up like Seventh Woods

Christ you are defensive. My post had nothing to do with Emoni Bates. If it did I would’ve said so.

Talking about young phenoms made me think about how my jaw dropped watching his 8th grade (I think) highlight film.

ADVERTISEMENT