ADVERTISEMENT

dukedevilz preseason top 50

kenpom-dukedevilz.png

I'm juxtaposing preseason rankings between myself, KenPom, and the AP voters. The first number of "Final Rk," signifies the final KenPom ranking for the 2020 season. The variance is simply the difference between our preseason poll and the final KenPom ranking... I was generous with the AP Poll as they only had 50 schools receiving votes in the preseason. I let them split the difference between my rankings and KP's for San Diego State, West Virginia, and BYU. With Wisconsin, Iowa, and Purdue, the average was below 50, so I gave them the best possible outcomes of 51, 52, and 53.

At any rate, I had slightly better top 25 picks than KenPom and the AP.

That’s awesome, man. Well done.

I’m not sure if I quite follow everything you said, but what would happen if you just removed San Diego State altogether? Seems like everyone was way way way off on them.

Reactions: dukedevilz
That’s awesome, man. Well done.

I’m not sure if I quite follow everything you said, but what would happen if you just removed San Diego State altogether? Seems like everyone was way way way off on them.

True. If you take out San Diego State, KP would have a lower variance. I had a lower variance on 11 of the schools; he a lower variance on 11 of the schools; we tied on 3 of the schools. Looks like he has a lower median average, so I'll concede he's probably better at this than I am :)

At least I can take comfort in knowing that I'm better than the average AP voter.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT