ADVERTISEMENT

dukedevilz preseason top 50

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Well, here's my wildly inaccurate Preseason Top 50. Roster turnover is alarmingly high among Power-6 schools. I formulated these rosters last year because I had trouble really understanding where teams stood in the preseason with so many new faces. The reality is, we don't know how players will progress. Given what we do know, I think my picks are reasonably accurate. There are some reaches, sure. I might have missed on a few. If nothing else, I think it helps provide a nice overview of where some of the elite teams stand. What do you think?

MSU-Kansas.jpg

UL-Florida.jpg

UK-Duke.jpg

TTU-UNC.jpg

Oregon-Maryland.jpg

Seton-Hall-LSU.jpg

OSU-Gonzaga.jpg

Baylor-Arizona.jpg
Villanova-VCU.jpg
UVA-Memphis.jpg

Illinois-SMC.jpg
Utah-State-Purdue.jpg
Marquette-NMSU.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK
And for extra measure, here's how I'd rank the teams 51-68.

51. Houston
52. Iowa State
53. Providence
54. West Virginia
55. Mississippi State
56. Iowa
57. New Mexico
58. Butler
59. Oregon State
60. Indiana
61. BYU
62. Syracuse
63. Arkansas
64. South Florida
65. Arizona State
66. Oklahoma
67. Pittsburgh
68. Liberty

Here's how the conferences breakdown:

SEC (10):
4. Florida
5. Kentucky
12. LSU
28. Auburn
38. Alabama
41. Ole Miss
43. Tennessee
50. Georgia
55. Mississippi State
63. Arkansas

Big Ten (9):
1. Michigan State
10. Maryland
13. Ohio State
21. Illinois
24. Purdue
30. Michigan
49. Wisconsin
56. Iowa
60. Indiana

ACC (9):
3. Louisville
6. Duke
8. North Carolina
19. Virginia
27. NC State
34. Florida State
48. Notre Dame
62. Syracuse
67. Pittsburgh

Big XII (8):
2. Kansas
7. Texas Tech
15. Baylor
36. Texas
45. Oklahoma State
52. Iowa State
54. West Virginia
66. Oklahoma

Big East (8):
11. Seton Hall
17. Villanova
25. Marquette
29. Creighton
32. Xavier
40. Georgetown
53. Providence
58. Butler

Pac-12 (7):
9. Oregon
16. Arizona
33. Washington
35. Colorado
44. Southern Cal
59. Oregon State
65. Arizona State

American Athletic (4):

20. Memphis
37. Cincinnati
51. Houston
64. South Florida

Atlantic-10 (3):
18. VCU
39. Davidson
46. Dayton

Mountain West (3):
23. Utah State
47. San Diego State
57. New Mexico

West Coast (3):
14. Gonzaga
22. Saint Mary's
61. BYU

Others (4):
26. New Mexico State (WAC)
31. Harvard (Ivy)
42. Western Kentucky (Conference USA)
68. Liberty (Atlantic Sun)

VCU is always so much higher than they need to be.

They're a legit top 25 team, IMO. Went 2-2 in Quad 1 games last year; played UVA very tough on the road. More of a challenge in JPJ Arena than all of the ACC teams outside of Duke. Bring back their whole roster and bring in Nah'shon Hyland who will be very, very good. I like them at #18.

WAY to much love for Illinois,

Perhaps. Like I said, there might be some reaches in my rankings. They could easily miss the tournament. Just feel like they have several talented players and Cockburn fills the void of one of their biggest deficiencies last year, rebounding. Not overly impressed with their depth - and defense was mostly lackluster. So it's not a slam dunk pick. But teams doing a 180 in the span of a year certainly isn't unprecedented. Just last year, we saw Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa make the tournament. Wisconsin was 7-11 in BT play in 2018, while Minnesota and Iowa were 4-14. I could be wrong. We'll see...

I feel like I want to have your children. This is the most impressive thread I've seen in quite some time.

I got to admit I was asleep on Illinois but you have placed them on my radar. I did use their guy with the long last name on my 25c D Kings rosters last year and he did not disappoint.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I love when everyone is down on WVU. That usually means a great year for Bob Huggins.

The question with Texas is what Jericho Sims you get.
I think they have tried different things with him this off-season.
He is an explosive jumper and when he is on provides great interior defense.
But he seems to wilt at times because of lack of confidence. I don't think Texas is afraid to use Kai Jones and Will Baker but would rather have Sims play to potential.

Jk that’s fair for Michigan this year IMO. I personally think they are higher than 30th but there are obviously unknowns.

The AP has Michigan 47th. Yikes.

I love when everyone is down on WVU. That usually means a great year for Bob Huggins.

I'm not necessarily down on West Virginia. I just don't think there's a HUGE difference between team 40 and team 60. WVU is certainly capable of making a run to the tournament. Just gotta get more production out of their guards. And 3-point shooting needs to improve.

Jk that’s fair for Michigan this year IMO. I personally think they are higher than 30th but there are obviously unknowns.

The AP has Michigan 47th. Yikes.

See, I'm not so bad after all. I like Simpson, Teske, and Livers. The big question mark will be the wings. I've seen some highlights of Wagner and he looks like a solid prospect. They could easily climb into the Top 25 if they get consistency out of Wagner, Brooks, and Bajerma.

F florida F louisville Left off our 6'9" 250 lb rebounding blocking machine lol.Ben Jordan...
Jordan_Ben_bullpen.jpg

There are a lot of players I have excluded from rosters, mostly walk-ons. I've included a few walk-ons, however, but I need to see that they've earned regular minutes in the rotation. I'm also not including injured players (ie: Brandon Williams of Arizona, or James Rojas of Alabama) or guys that are sitting out (ie: Eugene Omoruyi of Oregon, or Sam Hauser of Virginia). I want the rosters to focus on guys that could receive meaningful minutes.

I'm not necessarily down on West Virginia. I just don't think there's a HUGE difference between team 40 and team 60. WVU is certainly capable of making a run to the tournament. Just gotta get more production out of their guards. And 3-point shooting needs to improve.

See, I'm not so bad after all. I like Simpson, Teske, and Livers. The big question mark will be the wings. I've seen some highlights of Wagner and he looks like a solid prospect. They could easily climb into the Top 25 if they get consistency out of Wagner, Brooks, and Bajerma.

Our guards have apparently improved a lot. Bob Huggins hasn't praised his team like this in the offseason since our last final 4 team. Something he never does but he sounds giddy about this season and his players buying in. Last season we had a lot of guys that didnt work hard enough or take well to his coaching. With that said we ended up playing very well towards the end of the season.

Most are thinking Franz will be an instant impact freshman. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him average double digits.

Big question marks at the 2 guard thoughz

There are a lot of players I have excluded from rosters, mostly walk-ons. I've included a few walk-ons, however, but I need to see that they've earned regular minutes in the rotation. I'm also not including injured players (ie: Brandon Williams of Arizona, or James Rojas of Alabama) or guys that are sitting out (ie: Eugene Omoruyi of Oregon, or Sam Hauser of Virginia). I want the rosters to focus on guys that could receive meaningful minutes.

Gotcha.. The story is still out on him. He's a good athlete. Obviously on a baseball scholly. All time rebounder and shot blocker on his hs team and 8th all time in scoring. Most likely his role is to be a strong arm in practice. Our bigs are too soft

Maybe so, but recent history hasn’t been supportive of that.
I’m the past 4 years, MSU has finished higher than expected twice, around where expected, and lower than expected once with a ton of front-court injuries

Kansas at 2?!?!?!!!!

A freshman and a Hawkeye rental..

I'll believe it when Kansas is consistently draining 3s.

Top 15 teams should all be fun.
Nobody outside MSU feels "elite", loads of opportunity for bubble resumes.

Maybe so, but recent history hasn’t been supportive of that.
Recent history included JB. I think you are putting waaaaay to much stock into a guy who's never coached a single game of CBB. Or maybe you are just going out on a limb----hoping Howard makes you look like a genius?

ADVERTISEMENT