ADVERTISEMENT

dukedevilz preseason top 50

I’m the past 4 years, MSU has finished higher than expected twice, around where expected, and lower than expected once with a ton of front-court injuries

I’m at work but going into last year:

All 4 teams were top 5 last year.

2017/18
#1 Duke
#2 Michigan St.

#4 Kansas
#5 Kentucky

2016/17
#1 Duke
#2 Kentucky
#3 Kansas
#12 Michigan St.

2015/16
#2 Kentucky
#4 Kansas
#5 Duke
#13 Michigan St.

Green = Made the Final Four

Red = Missed the Final Four

Preseason vs Final AP rankings:

2017/18
#1 Duke..... #4
#2 Michigan St...... #11

#4 Kansas..... #3
#5 Kentucky..... #17

2016/17
#1 Duke..... 13
#2 Kentucky..... #5
#3 Kansas..... #4
#12 Michigan St...... Unranked

2015/16
#2 Kentucky..... #16
#4 Kansas..... #3
#5 Duke..... #18
#13 Michigan St...... #7

Not sure about Duke but I feel strongly Kentucky, Kansas, and Michigan state will all be top 5 most of the year

Last year

Is this going to be the most loaded CC yet? Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas are all top 4 to star the year. MSU is top 10. I'm sure there have been similar rankings in the past, but man are these teams loaded.

Reactions: JimboBBN
I’m the past 4 years, MSU has finished higher than expected twice, around where expected, and lower than expected once with a ton of front-court injuries

I bet MSU won't finish higher than expected this year ;)

Kansas at 2?!?!?!!!!

A freshman and a Hawkeye rental..

I'll believe it when Kansas is consistently draining 3s.

Top 15 teams should all be fun.
Nobody outside MSU feels "elite", loads of opportunity for bubble resumes.

We haven't seen De Sousa in 18 months. I expect big improvements from him. Moss fills the need for a 3-point shooter. Dotson and Agbaji were freshmen last year that both showed quite a bit of promise. Starting 5 looks really solid. Not world-beaters, but a promising core unit, IMO.

Our guards have apparently improved a lot. Bob Huggins hasn't praised his team like this in the offseason since our last final 4 team. Something he never does but he sounds giddy about this season and his players buying in. Last season we had a lot of guys that didnt work hard enough or take well to his coaching. With that said we ended up playing very well towards the end of the season.

WVU will find winning more than 10 games in the Big 12 very difficult.
Starts at PG. McCabe isn't what you refer to as a defensive first PG.
Not having Jevon Carter hurt WV because he was Bob Huggins on the floor.

From what I hear Huggins likes some of the other guards but those players have never played major college basketball.

Just matters where all the other teams are at in the Big 12.

They are playing a team who feels they should be in the NCAA Tournament every night in the conference.

For a team like WVU that could be too much this year.
Huggins is getting the benefit of the doubt from a lot of people but there are some major questions on that roster.

Especially in the Backcourt.
You saw that come up again your last game of the season when Coastal Carolina ran you out of the gym.

As of right now I don't think your Backcourt is much better than teams like Oklahoma, Kansas State and TCU.

Definitely not on the level of Iowa State and Oklahoma State

I'm not necessarily down on West Virginia. I just don't think there's a HUGE difference between team 40 and team 60. WVU is certainly capable of making a run to the tournament. Just gotta get more production out of their guards. And 3-point shooting needs to improve.

See, I'm not so bad after all. I like Simpson, Teske, and Livers. The big question mark will be the wings. I've seen some highlights of Wagner and he looks like a solid prospect. They could easily climb into the Top 25 if they get consistency out of Wagner, Brooks, and Bajerma.

WVU really has never been a great to elite offensive team.
They were on the Defensive end.

Their problems start in the Backcourt and in the middle.
Not as strong defensively.

There is a belief that they can get back to playing Bob Huggins basketball this year.
Last year they never played it. They never looked like a Bob Huggins team.

But with the players they brought in some are saying they can he great on defense again.

Reactions: dukedevilz
WVU will find winning more than 10 games in the Big 12 very difficult.
Starts at PG. McCabe isn't what you refer to as a defensive first PG.
Not having Jevon Carter hurt WV because he was Bob Huggins on the floor.

From what I hear Huggins likes some of the other guards but those players have never played major college basketball.

Just matters where all the other teams are at in the Big 12.

They are playing a team who feels they should be in the NCAA Tournament every night in the conference.

For a team like WVU that could be too much this year.
Huggins is getting the benefit of the doubt from a lot of people but there are some major questions on that roster.

Especially in the Backcourt.
You saw that come up again your last game of the season when Coastal Carolina ran you out of the gym.

As of right now I don't think your Backcourt is much better than teams like Oklahoma, Kansas State and TCU.

Definitely not on the level of Iowa State and Oklahoma State

I wouldn't take too much from the coastal carolina game. The body language showed we really didn't want to be there. If anything look at our last 7 big 12 games where we won 4 and was very competitive in the other 3. This team will easily win 10 conference games.

We dont need McCabe to be too much like Jevon Carter to have success, we just needed him to get stronger and keep improving in all facets from his freshman year. By all accounts he definitely did that in the offseason.

Last edited:
I wouldn't take too much from the coastal carolina game. The body language showed we really didn't want to be there. If anything look at our last 7 big 12 games where we won 4 and was very competitive in the other 3 on the road. This team will easily win 10 conference games.

You only won 4 Big 12 games all year.
You can add the two Big 12 tournament games but I could use your logic and say OU and Tech didn't really care either.

Or

You can look at the entire body of work.
The problems for WVU weren't fixed last year and you have a bunch of people who have never played major college basketball who you are counting on.

I am in wait and see with WVU. Hype doesn't mean much in basketball as every team has to prove who they are on the court.

WVU will be WVU again if I see the anger and pride Bob Huggins had last year translate to the court.
It never did last year. You saw little glimpses of it but not for more than half a game and never for consecutive games.

Chris Beard and Tech used that fuel in losing to WVU in the Big 12 Tournament to go on their run.
Tech wasn't all in for the game like you are claiming WVU was during their CBI Tournament.

No reason for WVU not to win that tournament. You were clearly the best team on paper. Let's see if that game can fuel a solid season for WVU.

I have to see it.

If you are really thinking winning 10 games in the Big 12 is easy in 2019-2020 than you are really overestimating your own team and underestimating the quality of teams in the conference.

You only won 4 Big 12 games all year.
You can add the two Big 12 tournament games but I could use your logic and say OU and Tech didn't really care either.

Or

You can look at the entire body of work.
The problems for WVU weren't fixed last year and you have a bunch of people who have never played major college basketball who you are counting on.

I am in wait and see with WVU. Hype doesn't mean much in basketball as every team has to prove who they are on the court.

WVU will be WVU again if I see the anger and pride Bob Huggins had last year translate to the court.
It never did last year. You saw little glimpses of it but not for more than half a game and never for consecutive games.

Chris Beard and Tech used that fuel in losing to WVU in the Big 12 Tournament to go on their run.
Tech wasn't all in for the game like you are claiming WVU was during their CBI Tournament.

No reason for WVU not to win that tournament. You were clearly the best team on paper. Let's see if that game can fuel a solid season for WVU.

I have to see it.

If you are really thinking winning 10 games in the Big 12 is easy in 2019-2020 than you are really overestimating your own team and underestimating the quality of teams in the conference.

Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't been this confident in our team for years. I knew last year would be a struggle even if we had Sags and of course he didn't last long. Just everything about this team is different in the attitude/commitment and that is what a Bob Huggins team thrives on. Hope I'm not wrong because it will be a huge disappointment to me if things go south but I just don't see it.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't been this confident in our team for years. I knew last year would be a struggle even if we had Sags and of course he didn't last long. Just everything about this team is different in their attitude and that is what a Bob Huggins team thrives on.

How soon does that team come together.
There is a chance that the Big 12 is too much for WVU this year.

If you struggle in OOC it puts you in a position that you have to win 10 and 11 games.
I don't see it this year.

The last two years there has only been 1 Big 12 team that hasn't made a NCAA Tournament and that is Oklahoma State.
To me they are the team that could sneak up on people this year.

You have way too many moving parts.
Culver and Oscar cannot play together for extended times.
Who plays PG? McCabe or McBride

Heard McBride looked good. Don't know against other teams but there is a chance he looked good because he was going up against McCabe

McCabe struggled last year in the Big 12 playing against other guards.
Especially ones who were quicker than him off the dribble.

How soon does that team come together.
There is a chance that the Big 12 is too much for WVU this year.

If you struggle in OOC it puts you in a position that you have to win 10 and 11 games.
I don't see it this year.

The last two years there has only been 1 Big 12 team that hasn't made a NCAA Tournament and that is Oklahoma State.
To me they are the team that could sneak up on people this year.

You have way too many moving parts.
Culver and Oscar cannot play together for extended times.
Who plays PG? McCabe or McBride

Heard McBride looked good. Don't know against other teams but there is a chance he looked good because he was going up against McCabe

McCabe struggled last year in the Big 12 playing against other guards.
Especially ones who were quicker than him off the dribble.

McBride looked everything but a true freshman in our oversea games in Spain. Really impressive! Logan Routt played really well and looks more than ready to spell our 2 big guys. We just need the NCAA to hurry up and rule Arkansas transfer Gabe Osabuohien eligible, to be that other big man to count on defensively off the bench.

McBride looked everything but a true freshman in our oversea games in Spain. Really impressive! Logan Routt played really well and looks more than ready to spell our 2 big guys. We just need the NCAA to hurry up and rule Arkansas transfer Gabe Osabuohien eligible, to be that other big man to count on defensively off the bench.

That was in Spain. Not Big 12 caliber basketball players.

I like some of what WVU has and there are some things to be hopeful about.
Huggins is one of the best coaches in the game.

Like I said Jevon Carter was a difference maker. He was Huggins on the court. Without him you have yet to finish above 500 in the Big 12
2012-13
2013-14
2018-19

You need someone to become that Chicago style PG like Jevon Carter. He is a pitbull like Huggins.

Hopefully someone can be that player for you this year.
Like I said Huggins and WVU wins with Defense and it starts in the Backcourt.

I can only speak in depth to the ACC and Big 10, but they both seem pretty good. NCSU feels a bit too high—maybe flip them with FSU. But overall real well done.

Seton Hall is a team I’m high on and it’s good to see you have them top 12.

I can only speak in depth to the ACC and Big 10, but they both seem pretty good. NCSU feels a bit too high—maybe flip them with FSU. But overall real well done.

Seton Hall is a team I’m high on and it’s good to see you have them top 12.

Will be fun to watch Obiagu again. Not sure what his role on the team will be, but I'm sure he'll see a decent amount of PT.

As far as NC State, I like them where they are. They were #41 in KenPom's final ranking last year, they return 6 of their top 7 scorers, and they bring in a grad transfer who figures to be a part of the rotation. And Manny Bates redshirted last year while dealing with an injury. Lots of veteran leadership and great depth. I think Funderburk is going to be huge this year. Would like to see him play closer to 30 minutes a game.

Edit: Just saw Funderburk was suspended a couple weeks ago. Keatts said at the ACC Media Day that there was no timetable for his return. State has some other decent bigs like Bates and Andree, but they really need Funderburk manning the post.

Last edited:
Here are some of the notable preseason tournaments with my rankings included. I've divided it up into 8-team and 4-team tournaments. Whoever wins Battle 4 Atlantis is going to have one heckuva resume to start the season.

Battle 4 Atlantis
8. North Carolina
9. Oregon
11. Seton Hall
14. Gonzaga
30. Michigan
38. Alabama
52. Iowa State
Unranked: Southern Miss

Orlando Invitational
10. Maryland
25. Marquette
31. Harvard
39. Davidson
44. USC
Unranked: Temple, Texas A&M, Fairfield

Maui Invitational
1. Michigan State
2. Kansas
46. Dayton
50. Georgia
61. BYU
Unranked: UCLA, Virginia Tech, Chaminade

Myrtle Beach Invitational
15. Baylor
17. Villanova
55. Mississippi State
Unranked: Utah, Ohio, Middle Tennessee, Tulane, Coastal Carolina

Charleston Classic
4. Florida
32. Xavier
Unranked: Miami, UConn, St.Joseph's, Buffalo, Missouri State, Towson

Cayman Islands Classic
26. New Mexico State
64. South Florida
Unranked: Nebraska, Colorado State, Loyola Chicago, George Mason, Washington State, Old Dominion

Diamond Head Classic
33. Washington
51. Houston
Unranked: Georgia Tech, Boise State, UTEP, Hawaii, Ball State, Portland

Wooden Legacy
16. Arizona
53. Providence
Unranked: Wake Forest, UCF, Penn, Charleston, Pepperdine, Long Beach

US Virgin Islands Paradise Jam
37. Cincinnati
42. Western Kentucky
Unranked: Nevada, Valparaiso, Grand Canyon, Fordham, Bowling Green, Illinois State
-------------------------------------------------------
4-Team Tournaments

Las Vegas Invitational
7. Texas Tech
29. Creighton
47. San Diego State
56. Iowa

Emerald Coast Classic
18. VCU
24. Purdue
34. Florida State
43. Tennessee

Empire Classic
6. Duke
36. Texas
40. Georgetown
Unranked: Califorina

NIT Season Tip-Off
41. Ole Miss
45. Oklahoma State
62. Syracuse
Unranked: Penn State

Legends Classic
28. Auburn
49. Wisconsin
57. New Mexico
Unranked: Richmond

Hall of Fame Tip-Off
19. Virginia
65. Arizona State
Unranked: St.John's, UMass

MGM Resorts Main Event
35. Colorado
Unranked: TCU, Clemson, Wyoming

Hall of Fame Classic
58. Butler
66. Oklahoma
Unranked: Missouri, Stanford

Cancun Challenge
54. West Virginia
Unranked: South Carolina, Wichita State, Northern Iowa

Reactions: GE Nole
I think I’m gonna head over to Destin for at least one of the Emerald Coast Classic days. Should be some great games.

I think I’m gonna head over to Destin for at least one of the Emerald Coast Classic days. Should be some great games.

Wish I could make it down but I've got family commitments. You are right tho. Should be 4 pretty evenly matched teams.

Agreed. I could realistically see any one of those four teams winning the tournament. Should make for some good basketball.

You asked about Tennessee earlier this year and I said bubble team at best. Just wanted to update, based on practice so far the coaches and people are feeling good about this team. Depth could be an issue but we are going to be better in the post than it looked back in the summer.

So would say we should be a decent team for an opponent rating.

And agree that should be a fun tournament, wish I were closer would love to be there myself.

Not that scrimmages are the the most useful way to judge a team, but Gonzaga defeated Michigan State without arguably their best player, Killian Tillie.

Not that scrimmages are the the most useful way to judge a team, but Gonzaga defeated Michigan State without arguably their best player, Killian Tillie.

Few asked us to play zone for a bit. From people who saw it, it really was a total scrimmage. Just people having fun out there. We played almost all of our guys.

Few asked us to play zone for a bit. From people who saw it, it really was a total scrimmage. Just people having fun out there. We played almost all of our guys.

Yeah, I wouldn't make too much of it. The same goes for Ohio State beating Louisville by double-digits. Some teams are missing players, no one is playing their best 5 for 30+ minutes, and coaches are trying different rotations. Just fun to see some results.

Reactions: MGC_07
giphy.gif

Lol

You asked about Tennessee earlier this year and I said bubble team at best. Just wanted to update, based on practice so far the coaches and people are feeling good about this team. Depth could be an issue but we are going to be better in the post than it looked back in the summer.

So would say we should be a decent team for an opponent rating.

And agree that should be a fun tournament, wish I were closer would love to be there myself.

Thanks for the update! Hoping to mingle with some Vols who can make a trip down. Though I hope nobody anticipates warm “Florida” beach weather that time of year.

Quentin Grimes was granted immediate eligibility. I think Houston is certainly a top 50 team now. I think they'll challenge Cincinnati for the #2 spot in the AAC.

houston.jpg

Kansas at 2?!?!?!!!!

A freshman and a Hawkeye rental..

I'll believe it when Kansas is consistently draining 3s.

Top 15 teams should all be fun.
Nobody outside MSU feels "elite", loads of opportunity for bubble resumes.

IDK wtf u r talking about, honestly...

a preseason So.AA PG
a 5 yr preseason AA Center ( the most dominant big man in CBB )
with the deepest bench in CBB

KU need to prove nothing to you. and that Hawkeye rental is a Jayhawk now, he played his way outta that hell hole.

MSU ( media darling fake clean coach ) if they live up is elite
KU is Elite from the jump
UK will most def be Elite
UL will be right on the brink
Shit Mayland could be close to elite

Duke is overrated, but whats new

Awesome work OP.

There isn't a preview magazine or website that can give me everything all at once like what you have presented.

I will probably view your opening message at least a dozen times throughout the season....

IDK wtf u r talking about, honestly...

a preseason So.AA PG
a 5 yr preseason AA Center ( the most dominant big man in CBB )
with the deepest bench in CBB

KU need to prove nothing to you. and that Hawkeye rental is a Jayhawk now, he played his way outta that hell hole.

MSU ( media darling fake clean coach ) if they live up is elite
KU is Elite from the jump
UK will most def be Elite
UL will be right on the brink
Shit Mayland could be close to elite

I want to see Kansas hitting 3s before I anoint them a top 2 team.

5yr preseason AA.. wha?
I'm not worried about Kansas' bigs.

KU needs to prove things to me?

Are you emotional?
You can fellate your team without involving me.

Ranking in the 330s for 3P and 3PA (from a shorter distance) the year before is kinda deflating. I'd like to see those numbers improve. I'm just not convinced (but you felt that already) that Moss and Wilson are enough for bumping them that high.

With Dok healthy and SDS back, it'll def give our shooters better looks. I just hope Kansas added enough.

Last edited:
Wilson really isn't known for his shooting as much as his ability to guard multiple positions.

I don't think Jalen Wilson going to help KU with their shooting that much.

The ball movement was there last year. KU was one of the best teams in the Big 12 at moving the ball and their players moving without the ball.

Great to elite basketball teams are designed to force teams to shoot from a low percentage from 3 point.

I think adding a player like Wilson can help KU on Defense.
Last year KU wasn't a great defensive team at times and to me that hurt them more than their shooting.

KU has the ability to be on of the best defensive teams in the country. Hope they do develop that aspect because with a defense like that and the ability to score consistently in the paint (which I think they will be able to: Dok/DeSousa/DMac) they would be awfully tough to beat.

Awesome work OP.

There isn't a preview magazine or website that can give me everything all at once like what you have presented.

I will probably view your opening message at least a dozen times throughout the season....

Thanks, man! I decided to do this last year because I have trouble keeping track of all the roster changes. When you dig a little deeper, you find a few unexpected teams along the way. This is a nice way for me to have a good understanding of the elite teams.

You think #6 is too high? Where would you have them?

I think we are being given too much respect this year. Well, Beard is anyway. This team is super super young. We only had three returning contributors and one of them was kicked off the team. So, we have two pretty good returning guards, some good transfers, and a bunch of freshman who have a lot to prove. We have the talent, and we have Beard, so we can potentially be a good team. But, as of now, we are living on Potential only.

Oh, and the Big12 is looking even more competitive than usual this year. Should be a great season nonetheless.

The question with Texas is what Jericho Sims you get.
I think they have tried different things with him this off-season.
He is an explosive jumper and when he is on provides great interior defense.
But he seems to wilt at times because of lack of confidence. I don't think Texas is afraid to use Kai Jones and Will Baker but would rather have Sims play to potential.

Jericho looked good tonight at Purdue except for the stupid fouls.

When I said Gerald Liddell is the best all around player at Texas and possible lottery pick I wasn't joking.

The guy is a basketball player

Jericho looked good tonight at Purdue except for the stupid fouls.

When I said Gerald Liddell is the best all around player at Texas and possible lottery pick I wasn't joking.

The guy is a basketball player

Nice road win.

Shaka turning the corner?

kenpom-dukedevilz.png

I'm juxtaposing preseason rankings between myself, KenPom, and the AP voters. The first number of "Final Rk," signifies the final KenPom ranking for the 2020 season. The variance is simply the difference between our preseason poll and the final KenPom ranking... I was generous with the AP Poll as they only had 50 schools receiving votes in the preseason. I let them split the difference between my rankings and KP's for San Diego State, West Virginia, and BYU. With Wisconsin, Iowa, and Purdue, the average was below 50, so I gave them the best possible outcomes of 51, 52, and 53.

At any rate, I had slightly better top 25 picks than KenPom and the AP.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT