ADVERTISEMENT

dukedevilz 2020-21 Preseason Top 50

How bout this I’ll bet you a 100$ I pick the national champ if me an you swap picks but I get first pick you get second I get third and so on. Guess that’s not really fair to automatically get first pick though

Not that I pretend to know I just feel like having 2/3 of zags/nova/Baylor would be an advantage.

People get caught up with coaching and not rosters
Ultimately there isn't much difference in coaching in college basketball. There is with building correct teams and having the correct players.

my post wasn’t meant as a shot at you or Texas. Just saying all this thread is going to become is fans saying how their team should be rated higher than they are rated by dude who did the ratings.

my post wasn’t meant as a shot at you or Texas. Just saying all this thread is going to become is fans saying how their team should be rated higher than they are rated by dude who did the ratings.

Texas is where they should be

My argument was him overrating Texas Tech.
We come back to the coaching argument..

This team Chris Beard has isn't anywhere close to what he had when he had an elite team

Texas Tech should be closer to 20-25

Need the players...

I’m not buying the tech hype either, but I haven’t seen Burnett (like I haven’t seen most any frosh). But just replacing rahimisey will be a tall task. Then I think maclung is gonna struggle with the quality of defenses in the big 12. Then obv I think Clarke will be hard to replace, on the court and intangibles as well. I see tech as a first weekend type team but I’m not exactly a big 12 expert by any means.

I don’t think texh was all that good last year and they lose their two best players. I’m not gonna shit on beard tho, the man is gettin shit done in Lubbock so who knows.

everything I know about Texas comes from posts by sheriff lol.

I listen to the CBS Sports podcast with Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander pretty regularly. They have said that the Twitter reaction from most fans to their content is that they are being slighted. They said Maryland fans are the exception. When they rank Maryland, Terps fans tell them they are rated too high pretty consistently.

I'm pretty sure I've heard SVP say the same.

I listen to the CBS Sports podcast with Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander pretty regularly. They have said that the Twitter reaction from most fans to their content is that they are being slighted. They said Maryland fans are the exception. When they rank Maryland, Terps fans tell them they are rated too high pretty consistently.

I'm pretty sure I've heard SVP say the same.
Sky is falling syndrome.

Reactions: boilerzz
I’m not buying the tech hype either, but I haven’t seen Burnett (like I haven’t seen most any frosh). But just replacing rahimisey will be a tall task. Then I think maclung is gonna struggle with the quality of defenses in the big 12. Then obv I think Clarke will be hard to replace, on the court and intangibles as well. I see tech as a first weekend type team but I’m not exactly a big 12 expert by any means.

I don’t think texh was all that good last year and they lose their two best players. I’m not gonna shit on beard tho, the man is gettin shit done in Lubbock so who knows.

everything I know about Texas comes from posts by sheriff lol.

To say Tech will be closer to 20-25 than 10-15 isn't an attack on Chris Beard.

I try to be as unbiased about all teams as I can.
If they keep putting Tech up right every year and it doesn't happen things will turn on Beard.
People will start questioning him because he isn't having a Top 15 year.

Jarrett Culver is the best player in the history of Texas Tech basketball.

Chris Beard was 58-17 when he was there with an Elite 8 and Final 4
25-11 in the Big 12

Without Culver 36-27
15-21 in the Big 12 without him

Burnett is similar to Culver...

Just matters where Burnett is at.
Their success this year will hinge on his success

Without Culver most of the Big 12 feels like they can do whatever they want on the perimeter

Yes the big man transfer from St. John’s was extremely underrated on D as well on their FF team. Those type of defensive players aren’t easily replaced, it would be much easier to replace players who scored a lot than lockdown defenders like culver and elite rim protectors like owens imo.

Yes the big man transfer from St. John’s was extremely underrated on D as well on their FF team. Those type of defensive players aren’t easily replaced, it would be much easier to replace players who scored a lot than lockdown defenders like culver and elite rim protectors like owens imo.

But the year before with Tubby's guys they had a decent run
They ended up playing the eventual NC in the Elite 8 rather than the NC game.

Culver was the glue.
Even from his freshman year to Sophomore there was a lot of improvement.

Made life tough on the perimeter. Reason why Chris Beard had such a good defense and teams are trying to copy.

Have to find some way to make shooting from 3 difficult.
Or at least run the guy off the line and have the bigs clean up.

$10-$20 on futures bets depending on the sport. I'm not full-time guy, nor do I want to be. I'll put some research into it read a gambling book here and there, but in the end it's just for fun and to try and make a couple bucks.

You watch SVP's Bad Beats? This might be one of the best ones I've seen. Good stuff.

• Haha
Reactions: bMORE607
Virginia's Trey Murphy received a waiver from the NCAA last night and will be eligible to play this season, starting today in our opener against Towson. Remember the name.

Also remember the name Reece Beekman, He's going to be really good for us.

Oregon returns 91 points of scoring and all those players in double figures and they're 20th?

Good. SmokinSmile

Well, the top four scorers logged those stats at other schools that weren't top 50 programs. And Figueroa hasn't received a waiver as of yet. Richardson and Duarte are listed 5th and 6th for the highest ppg among returners, but I full expect them to be 1 and 2 in scoring. They have Final Four potential, just hard to know how good they'll be with all of that turnover.

Andrew Nembhard receiving a waiver now makes Gonzaga the clear favorite, in my mind.

Mac McClung looks like the real deal! My gawd this team looks impressive for the first game of the year. We are light years ahead of last yeara team.

I would wait until seeing what happens with the Cougar High's guards.

That is going to be a tough matchup and we will see if those guards for Tech are ready to re-establish their dominance on the perimeter
You mean like when he dropped 20 points on those Texas guards last season?

Looks like Texas has Borat coaching for them now.

Might change things up now

EmgsBxKW4AEVFGh.jpg

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Is just every kid gonna get a waiver this year? I mean at this point why even have the NCAA?

It does seem a little excessive. Stadium has a detailed list of the status of all the waivers, and they show only 7 waivers have been denied. There are a few more pending. And Bo Hodges (Butler, via ETSU) was denied yesterday. So, you're looking at a grand total of 8 denied waivers.

I'm sorry but I just have to respond to the Texas fan making every post about us.

Chris Beard is getting set up. Expectations went up. Even last year they started in the Top 15. They weren't a Top 15 team last year.
Just how CBB is.

I expect the same thing to happen. I like Beard.
But I do know there comes a time people start questioning his coaching ability if they keep putting in the Top 10/15 every year and he doesn't end up there

Chris Beard is 96-44 at TTU with a runner-up and an Elite 8 finish.
Shaka Smart is 90-78 at UT with a NIT championship. No shares of conference regular season or conference tournament championships.

Have people started questioning Shaka's coaching ability yet?

Texas is where they should be

My argument was him overrating Texas Tech.
We come back to the coaching argument..

This team Chris Beard has isn't anywhere close to what he had when he had an elite team

Texas Tech should be closer to 20-25

Need the players...

This is by recruiting metrics Chris Beard's most talented team on paper. His main players when we went to the championship game were a bunch of three stars that Texas would never recruit. But Beard got them to play well as a team.

To say Tech will be closer to 20-25 than 10-15 isn't an attack on Chris Beard.

I try to be as unbiased about all teams as I can.
If they keep putting Tech up right every year and it doesn't happen things will turn on Beard.
People will start questioning him because he isn't having a Top 15 year.

Jarrett Culver is the best player in the history of Texas Tech basketball.

Chris Beard was 58-17 when he was there with an Elite 8 and Final 4
25-11 in the Big 12

Without Culver 36-27
15-21 in the Big 12 without him

Burnett is similar to Culver...

Just matters where Burnett is at.
Their success this year will hinge on his success

Without Culver most of the Big 12 feels like they can do whatever they want on the perimeter

Who the hell is turning on him? Why haven't people turned on Shaka he's the 16th highest paid basketball coach and hasn't got Texas past the first round of the NCAA tournament.

I already think this year's team can be better than last year's team. But Houston will be a great early season tough game for them.

Last edited:
Texas recruited Jarrett Culver

Shaka wanted him.

Nothing against these recruiting services...

But Culver was highly thought of by pretty much every program in Texas.
Oklahoma State recruited him hard as well.

Culver was a Top 10 lottery pick...

Like I told you last year. There isn't a Top 10 lottery pick on that team as of right now.

Long, athletic and had the ability to get to the rim.

Take away his offensive game. Culver is a great to elite defender.

Wanted to stay close to his family in Lubbock.

Both Burnett and Peavy have the chance to be very good players.

Both Burnett and Peavy have the chance to be very good players.

I like Burnett. I think he has a lot of upside.

When Underwood went to Illinois I believe Culver may have been one of the first players he offered.

Culver's issue was he was off the grid
Put him in Houston he would have been a Top 50 player
People whose basketball knowledge I trust very well said he was one of the best players in Texas that year.

Regarding the game against Cougar High

Like I told you
Going to be a battle of what backcourt can exert their will on the other.

In the total picture it doesn't mean much.
But just a game to see where your program is at right now
Even SMU beat Sam Houston by 30

The way Cougar High played against a decent MWC school in Boise State is how they will try to play against Tech.
They are going into that game thinking they are the superior team. Their boosters and fanbase thinks they are a Final 4 caliber team.

Regarding the game against Cougar High

Like I told you
Going to be a battle of what backcourt can exert their will on the other.

In the total picture it doesn't mean much.
But just a game to see where your program is at right now
Even SMU beat Sam Houston by 30

The way Cougar High played against a decent MWC school in Boise State is how they will try to play against Tech.
They are going into that game thinking they are the superior team. Their boosters and fanbase thinks they are a Final 4 caliber team.
Tech thinks the same thing? Don’t get this post?

Regarding the Sam Houston State we were well into our way to beating them by fifty (we were up by 40) then all of our serious contributors were pulled with 12 minutes left in the game. Don’t compare scores.

Tech thinks the same thing? Don’t get this post?

Regarding the Sam Houston State we were well into our way to beating them by fifty (we were up by 40) then all of our serious contributors were pulled with 12 minutes left in the game. Don’t compare scores.

You suppose to blowout Southland Conference teams for the most part especially the bottom to middle conference teams.

Don't make anything out of either game.

They are indications at all where a program is at.

Reactions: Fight r8rs Fight!
Cougar High talking real shit about just physically dominating Tech's guards

Good learning experience.

If Tech can respond will show a lot. We will see with Chris Beard and who he has on the court
If he wants to win he may use Avery Benson

Cougar High talking real shit about just physically dominating Tech's guards

Good learning experience.

If Tech can respond will show a lot. We will see with Chris Beard and who he has on the court
If he wants to win he may use Avery Benson

You really seem to enjoy referring to Houston as Cougar High.

ADVERTISEMENT