ADVERTISEMENT

Duke was too Zion dependent

K has coached this way for decades. You don’t like it, root another school.

I never said anything about what I like or don't like about it here. Just stated a fact. But hey, you keep up the good fight man. You're making Duke and their fans proud taking on these aggressive internet warriors. Coach K should have you over for dinner and give you one of his daughters for the night.

Reactions: AWilli6995
I never said anything about what I like or don't like about it here. Just stated a fact. But hey, you keep up the good fight man. You're making Duke and their fans proud taking on these aggressive internet warriors. Coach K should have you over for dinner and give you one of his daughters for the night.
And you just keep being an asshole. We all have to be good at something.

I have said all year that Duke relies heavily on creating turnovers and scoring in transition. Yesterday Duke turned the ball over 10 more times than MSU did and had zero transition points. Just one fewer turnover or one basket in transition could have made the difference. But oh well.

It’s just like I told my hockey coach when I was a kid. My coach was known for his triple deke move. He was the last player to shoot in a shootout on his travel hockey team but this time he hit the post. They lost the championship and he blamed himself for years. A quarter of an inch to the right and he would have scored he told me. But I said, “coach, a quarter inch the other way and you’d have missed completely”.

He was taken back by my youthful wisdom. So you see, Duke could have had more turnovers or maybe RJ clanks another three or maybe Ward hits a couple of those easy lay ups. Then MSU wins by more.

Reactions: UNC71-00
It’s just like I told my hockey coach when I was a kid. My coach was known for his triple deke move. He was the last player to shoot in a shootout on his travel hockey team but this time he hit the post. They lost the championship and he blamed himself for years. A quarter of an inch to the right and he would have scored he told me. But I said, “coach, a quarter inch the other way and you’d have missed completely”.

He was taken back by my youthful wisdom. So you see, Duke could have had more turnovers or maybe RJ clanks another three or maybe Ward hits a couple of those easy lay ups. Then MSU wins by more.
Cool story. My intention was not to play the blame game or drown in the tears of what if. It was just a simple comment regarding Duke not doing the things that they needed to do. And that is greatly a credit to MSU.

I know it's everyone's favorite thing to do, questioning K's job. But if we're going to question what he's doing, I think it is more with recruiting. But that's for another conversation.

Krzyzewski has made plenty of adjustments during games this year when plan A wasn't working. Won some, lost some. The Louisville game and the ACCT unc game are big examples of him making adjustments that led to wins. The first unc game was a big example of him failing to adjust, but give me a coach who hasn't had a couple of those games. Fact is, Duke didn't have enough horses, when you are this limited, there's only so many adjustments to be made. And again, this is by his own making starting with recruiting. But I think it is unreasonable to question how he coached this year's team.

You don’t think it’s reasonable to question why a team with four lottery picks didn’t really improve at all from November to March?

You don’t think it’s reasonable to question why a team with four lottery picks didn’t really improve at all from November to March?
They don't have 4 lottery picks. But either way. That's not what you said, and that's not what I said was unreasonable. Duke lost in the EE. They had two guys that did the vast majority of their scoring. And if you want to say Duke should have been better because Cam Reddish is a lottery pick, that is unreasonable. Reddish has no business being as highly touted as he is. But the NBA drafts on potential and he has a lot that the NBA likes. If they drafted based on performances, he would not be a first rounder at all. And Tre Jones wouldn't, for that matter. It is unreasonable to question Krzyzewski's job as a coach based off of losing a game to a good team in the EE just like it would be unreasonable to question Roy Williams job as a coach based off of losing to the hottest team in the country in the SS.

To the point of Duke not improving from November to March. Many things play into that. And save your breath if you want to shrug this off as making excuses, not every reason is an excuse.

Duke did not improve because their flaws were continually exposed. Their shooting only got better for brief moments, never consistently got better. The more games they played, the more teams were able to develop game plans against them. Another reason is they never got a reliable third option scorer. The lottery pick you guys keep harping on was unreliable most of the year and sometimes was so bad, you thought he was so bad on purpose. They have no bench and half of a backcourt.

So it is reasonable to discuss the fact that they never improved. But it is pretty obvious the reason why they never improved.

Who are the 4? When was the draft?

I think they improved.

Duke was actually not enough Zion dependant, he didn't get near the amount of shots/touches he should have given his other worldly efficiency. There was way too much RJ hero ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Cool story. My intention was not to play the blame game or drown in the tears of what if. It was just a simple comment regarding Duke not doing the things that they needed to do. And that is greatly a credit to MSU.

Oh I know. I wasn’t being serious. My story is fake anyway. It’s a sub plot in the original “Mighty Ducks” movie between Coach Bombay and Charlie.

I’ll say this, I absolutely love Zion! He’s better than I thought and he seems like an even better person! I could watch him play all day. He was the guy that I wanted at UK more than anyone in that class. Barrett, on the other hand, I just never really saw what the hype was all about. I’ll admit I wanted him at UK at first but after watching him a little more I just wasn’t big on him. He’s a good player but I think he’s way overhyped. Again, he’s good, but I don’t see an NBA team building around him. Zion was the main man on that Duke team in my opinion.

Last edited:
I’m also gonna say this! I don’t care how many lottery picks a team has or how good that team is, they can be beat! UK and Cal caught hell (Mostly from dumbasses who just don’t like them) because we didn’t win it all with a team here and there with lottery picks but anybody with any basketball sense at all knows the best team don’t always win! I don’t care how many lottery picks you have or how good you are you can be beat. With Duke losing I’m glad people are starting to understand that!

They don't have 4 lottery picks. But either way. That's not what you said, and that's not what I said was unreasonable. Duke lost in the EE. They had two guys that did the vast majority of their scoring. And if you want to say Duke should have been better because Cam Reddish is a lottery pick, that is unreasonable. Reddish has no business being as highly touted as he is. But the NBA drafts on potential and he has a lot that the NBA likes. If they drafted based on performances, he would not be a first rounder at all. And Tre Jones wouldn't, for that matter. It is unreasonable to question Krzyzewski's job as a coach based off of losing a game to a good team in the EE just like it would be unreasonable to question Roy Williams job as a coach based off of losing to the hottest team in the country in the SS.

To the point of Duke not improving from November to March. Many things play into that. And save your breath if you want to shrug this off as making excuses, not every reason is an excuse.

Duke did not improve because their flaws were continually exposed. Their shooting only got better for brief moments, never consistently got better. The more games they played, the more teams were able to develop game plans against them. Another reason is they never got a reliable third option scorer. The lottery pick you guys keep harping on was unreliable most of the year and sometimes was so bad, you thought he was so bad on purpose. They have no bench and half of a backcourt.

So it is reasonable to discuss the fact that they never improved. But it is pretty obvious the reason why they never improved.
All that falls back on the coach he made the decision to recruit like this.

And I have acknowledged as much.
But you’re defending why they didn’t improve by saying they don’t actually have 4 lottery picks and were exposed. Maybe they only have 3 lottery picks, but the latter is on K to grow the team he has. He continually ignores the bench and it’s been biting him more and more in the ass.

Reactions: AWilli6995
But you’re defending why they didn’t improve by saying they don’t actually have 4 lottery picks and were exposed. Maybe they only have 3 lottery picks, but the latter is on K to grow the team he has. He continually ignores the bench and it’s been biting him more and more in the ass.
Defending? No.

So tell us. What do you think they do in practice? Ever been to a practice?

Think RJ changed from last summer to last weekend
Think Marques has gotten better. I sure do.
Think Zion had all those post moves prior to coming to Duke. I don’t.

Maybe you should root for another team. Oh yeah, you do.

And if the NBA drafts Cam in the lottery it will have nothing to do with this year.

He isn’t a lottery pick let alone a 1st rounder. Cam johnson is better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT