ADVERTISEMENT

Duke, UNC, UK, KU

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014
Lets' see which posters this triggers.

It's nuts how many times these blue bloods cause a reaction as soon as they're brought up.

UK is #1 all time

Duke has the best coach ever.

UNC...has Helms banners.

KU gave birth to your program.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

Lets' see which posters this triggers.

It's nuts how many times these blue bloods cause a reaction as soon as they're brought up.

UK is #1 all time

Duke has the best coach ever.

UNC...has Helms banners.

KU gave birth to your program.

I would certainly argue about dUKe. While he’s a great coach, he is definitely not the best coach ever.

Most like to make the argument that he’s the best because he’s won the most. However, when you dissect those numbers and compare to the history of the game, it’s no wonder he has won as much as he has. We play potentially 40 games a year now, which is up to 4x more than games used to be played in a season. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that you’ll get much more opportunities for wins. The only true barometer that should be used to judge a coaches success through the years should be winning percentage not total wins, as well as other things.

Reactions: CB3UK
I would certainly argue about dUKe. While he’s a great coach, he is definitely not the best coach ever.

Most like to make the argument that he’s the best because he’s won the most. However, when you dissect those numbers and compare to the history of the game, it’s no wonder he has won as much as he has. We play potentially 40 games a year now, which is up to 4x more than games used to be played in a season. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that you’ll get much more opportunities for wins. The only true barometer that should be used to judge a coaches success through the years should be winning percentage not total wins, as well as other things.
I would say that you make a convincing argument. But you didn't even make an argument.

How about you tell us who is/was a better coach and then we can break down certain factors that help or hurt your case.

It's like me saying that Kentucky is not #1 of all time despite being the program with the most overall wins without saying why I feel that way.

I agree most wins doesn't matter, especially when the bulk of them happened before segregation ended.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
I would say that you make a convincing argument. But you didn't even make an argument.

How about you tell us who is/was a better coach and then we can break down certain factors that help or hurt your case.

It's like me saying that Kentucky is not #1 of all time despite being the program with the most overall wins without saying why I feel that way.

If you look at winning percentage, Rupp and Clair Bee is always at the top. Bee coached in a smaller division, though.

You do bring up a good point, though. The best coach of all time is very subjective and I don't really know that it has a definitive answer. I think you could definitely put K with Rupp, Wooden and a few others, though. The media has this thing with pumping their agenda, which is that K is the only living coach that could be on the list so they want to make him the greatest. However, I just don't think that's true.

It would be very hard to determine who is the best from each coach that is on that list. I think that is probably my biggest point.

As far as Kentucky, we are not #1 all time just because of wins. We are #1 all time because we've been more successful at just about every aspect of the sport longer than anyone else.

Don't really see anything trigger worthy for any of those programs.

You are thinking about this the wrong way. Nothing bad was really said but you're forgetting how most UK fans react when you complement someone who isn't UK.

See?

We play potentially 40 games a year now, which is up to 4x more than games used to be played in a season. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that you’ll get much more opportunities for wins. The only true barometer that should be used to judge a coaches success through the years should be winning percentage not total wins, as well as other things.

If we're comparing nowadays to 1912 Peach Basketball, then yes, there are considerably more games. But every NCAA Tournament Champion has played at least 23 games. Sam Burton and Clair Bee are #1 and #2 all-time in winning percentage - names which aren't usually considered when discussing all-time greats. Also, Mark Few has a higher winning percentage than John Wooden, Mike Krzyzewski, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and Bill Self.

Let's see if I can trigger UK fans.

The only reason you've suddenly cared about winning percentage in the last five years is the #1 thing on your List is going to change when KU passes you in all time wins.

Let's see if I can trigger UK fans.

The only reason you've suddenly cared about winning percentage in the last five years is the #1 thing on your List is going to change when KU passes you in all time wins.
We've been hearing that for years from different schools.

If we're comparing nowadays to 1912 Peach Basketball, then yes, there are considerably more games. But every NCAA Tournament Champion has played at least 23 games. Sam Burton and Clair Bee are #1 and #2 all-time in winning percentage - names which aren't usually considered when discussing all-time greats. Also, Mark Few has a higher winning percentage than John Wooden, Mike Krzyzewski, Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and Bill Self.

I’m comparing all time, so 1912 would be in there. The best of all time is very subjective, as you pointed out. Because of this, I think you can say that these group of coaches are the best, but it would be almost impossible to say that about them individually.

ADVERTISEMENT