ADVERTISEMENT

Duke 2023-24 Preseason #1

This might be the first time in a long time that Duke is picked 1st in the ACC preseason poll where they actually finish 1st in the ACC standings. Would be a massive coaching failure to not finish 1st this upcoming year.

Also, LMAO at saying "respect my decision" when staying at Duke.

Looks like Mgbako will be reopening his recruitment though.

Last edited:
This might be the first time in a long time that Duke is picked 1st in the ACC preseason poll where they actually finish 1st in the ACC standings. Would be a massive coaching failure to not finish 1st this upcoming year.

Also, LMAO at saying "respect my decision" when staying at Duke.

Looks like Mgbako will be reopening his recruitment though.
Link to Mgbako?

Sounds like MSU is getting Hall back and Akins is going to stay along with Walker returning. We’re probably going to have our 2 McDonald’s AA come off the bench.

Not saying we should be preseason #1, but I imagine in the top 10.

Reactions: SpartanJD
I mean, obviously this. Makes sense for Mgbako.
What he is saying is that he cant beat out Flip and he needs to go somewhere else for his year of college. Pussy who doesnt want to compete. How about he or Flip at the 4 and the other at the 5.

Uh oh.....might need to change the thread title to preseason top 10.

Nah. Mgbako ain't starting over Mark Mitchell or Flip. He'd be the 6th man, best case scenario. He wants no part of that. He's replaceable. We have several other 5-star recruits that will be coming off the bench. I'll take Flip over Mgbako 100 times out of 100. Just hope he doesn't end up at Carolina.

UConn very well might be preseason #1, depending on who all comes back. But, I'd expect Duke will have a few votes for preseason #1.

One thing I haven't quite understood, why is playing the 4 is so important to Flip? I think he was turned off by other schools that wanted him to play the 5. I get it partly. I mean, 5s are thought of as being less-skilled. They camp in the paint. And Flip is a highly-skilled big man. But, I'd kind of like to see him as our 5. We'd space the court better - and be a quicker team. Having an enormous rebounding edge is nice, though.

From my understanding, the only transfers we're currently seeking is someone to play the 5. Presumably, someone to start alongside Flip (and ahead of Ryan Young in the rotation). There were talks of Da'Ron Holmes potentially coming here, but he hasn't entered his name in the portal yet. I do expect we'll grab a 5 at some point, though.

Reactions: MGC_07
Well that sucked for me lol. I still stand by my general claim that Duke is picked for 1st in preseason standings more often than they actually finish 1st in ACC standings.
so what. Only opposing fans care about that and just goes to prove that preseason rankings are about as accurate as recruit rankings prior to ever playing a game in college.

I second this! Forget about all the other big men. Focus on Edwards! Yes! He'd be perfect! And Ryan Young will still get decent minutes because Edwards loves his fouls.

Reactions: tw3301
so what. Only opposing fans care about that and just goes to prove that preseason rankings are about as accurate as recruit rankings prior to ever playing a game in college.

You don't think preseason rankings affect postseason awards? Most of the voters are voting based on performance relative to preseason expectations. Valid or not, the preseason rankings matter for lots of things.

You don't think preseason rankings affect postseason awards? Most of the voters are voting based on performance relative to preseason expectations. Valid or not, the preseason rankings matter for lots of things.

My favorite example of this was Josh Pastner being awarded ACC Coach of the Year in 2017... when they finished 11th in the league. Georgia Tech was picked dead last in the preseason. Evidently finishing 11th was a huge success.

Dont care about post or pre season awards. Bunch of uninformed or biased media mostly voting on who they like or dont like.

Dont care about post or pre season awards. Bunch of uninformed or biased media mostly voting on who they like or dont like.

It's not a matter of whether YOU care or not. They matter to some people.

I expected Flip to be more efficient on offense given how versatile he is. I would assume he'll bump up that efficiency next year.

Sounds like MSU is getting Hall back and Akins is going to stay along with Walker returning. We’re probably going to have our 2 McDonald’s AA come off the bench.

Not saying we should be preseason #1, but I imagine in the top 10.
if you're gonna have 2 McD AA coming off the bench you're basically letting the transfer portal know a year in advance that there will be two former McD AA's from MSU in the portal.

Old man Izzo needs to either get wtih the times or see if he can get one of those cushy TV studio jobs like Jay Wright.

One thing I haven't quite understood, why is playing the 4 is so important to Flip? I think he was turned off by other schools that wanted him to play the 5. I get it partly. I mean, 5s are thought of as being less-skilled. They camp in the paint. And Flip is a highly-skilled big man. But, I'd kind of like to see him as our 5. We'd space the court better - and be a quicker team.
You answered your own question. More freedom of movement at the 4. He cares more about showcasing his skills for next level than he does anything else, just like nearly every other player with pro aspirations. And I don't blame him, or any of the others that are the same way.

Reactions: tw3301
You answered your own question. More freedom of movement at the 4. He cares more about showcasing his skills for next level than he does anything else, just like nearly every other player with pro aspirations. And I don't blame him, or any of the others that are the same way.

In recent years, we've utilized the skillset of bigs more, trying to cater to the positionless basketball concept. That could absolutely work with Flip.

Who knows, though? Maybe he is warming up to playing the 5. I mean, I can't understand why we'd reach out to Kadin Shedrick and not Jesse Edwards. Shedrick, IMO, is a nice big to have, could give you anywhere from 12-20 minutes a night. So, if we're really intent on playing Flip more at the 4, I'd think we'd go after a star 5, like a Jesse Edwards.

Schools that I expect will be in my preseason top 10...
Duke
UConn
Marquette
Purdue
Kentucky
Michigan State

Close...
Creighton
Kansas (they'll need to land one impact transfer, but I'm sure that will happen)

Duke
UConn
Marquette
Purdue
Kentucky
Michigan State

Close...
Creighton
Kansas (they'll need to land one impact transfer, but I'm sure that will happen)

Self said he's going to be living in the portal. Seems to be looking for three impact transfers. Maybe even three starters. Definitely need a couple shooters. As it stands right now, they'd probably be a bad three point shooting team. There's also a chance McCullar comes back, but I doubt it.

Right now they're going hard for Dickinson, but Maryland might be tough to beat. Apparently his best friend is on the team and they hired his HS coach. Timberlake visited last weekend and I think Primo Spears has a visit scheduled. Plus they've been talking to Harrison Ingram, but I'm hearing they've backed off a little for some reason.

What's your take on Spears? Not sure what to think about him. He put up good numbers in a good league but wasn't always terribly efficient. But he's also still young. 30% 3 pt shooting definitely isn't ideal, but his shot looks pure and he hits a ton of mid-range jumpers. I'd think there's a good chance his 3 pt % will get better. He's definitely skilled at creating his own shot.

Duke
UConn
Marquette
Purdue
Kentucky
Michigan State

Close...
Creighton
Where were you on UCONN last year? Back end T25?

There's still some guys in the portal that could tip the scales, and we don't know what the NBA early entry is going to look like just yet. This new era has me a little more open-minded to fringe contenders.

If AZ returns what's his name they are gonna be in every T10. Adding Nembhard was a big win for 'em.

What's your take on Spears? Not sure what to think about him. He put up good numbers in a good league but wasn't always terribly efficient. But he's also still young. 30% 3 pt shooting definitely isn't ideal, but his shot looks pure and he hits a ton of mid-range jumpers. I'd think there's a good chance his 3 pt % will get better. He's definitely skilled at creating his own shot.

Supremely talented. Quick af. Dribble-drive can devastate defenders; also has a good mid-range game. Could probably be a little more disciplined on defense. But, he has the tools to be a very valuable pickup. Worth the risk, IMO.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Where were you on UCONN last year? Back end T25?

Didn't have them super high, but better than the polls, at least. UConn wasn't ranked in the AP or Coaches Preseason Poll. Nor was Miami.

1. Houston
2. North Carolina
3. Baylor
4. Kentucky
5. Tennessee
6. Creighton
7. Gonzaga
8. Kansas
9. UCLA
10. Texas
11. Duke
12. Arkansas
13. Indiana
14. TCU
15. Miami
16. San Diego State

17. Villanova
18. Arizona
19. Illinois
20. Virginia
21. UConn
22. Alabama
23. Oregon
24. Saint Louis
25. Auburn

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
If AZ returns what's his name they are gonna be in every T10. Adding Nembhard was a big win for 'em.

I've heard Nembhard likely ends up at Arizona. Did he commit already?

But yes, to your point, Tubelis and Nembhard would absolutely put Arizona in the top 10. Honestly, I think a lineup of Nembhard, Boswell, Larsson, Tubelis, and Ballo could contend for the #1 spot.

ADVERTISEMENT