ADVERTISEMENT

Do you watch teams you hate when you aren't playing them?

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Gotta say, I've never, for example, watched a single UNC game if Duke wasn't in it. Honestly, I haven't watched a full game Duke isn't in... Jesus, maybe forever?

But looking at some boards, there are like four and five page threads dedicated to games that said boards aren't dedicated to. And man, those fans get really emotional about them. Like, as if it were their own team playing.

This strikes me as bizarre.

Do many of you watch games your team isn't in, start to finish? If so, do you really get emotional about them?

Nope. If Duke is losing late (and I mean losing to the point I know they can't finagle their way back in it) I'll turn over maybe. I have no interest in watching that crap if not though. :)

I get emotional about every game I watch though. I am extremely non-emotional in real life, about as laid back as they come. Sports? I'm completely invested whether it be on the golf course or watching some random D-2 football game.

I watch all the games I can. I'm seldom home due to my schedule(officiating). So when I am ---like tonight---I watch. As for the team "I hate"? Meh, I 'm forced to watch UK. My wifes a fan.:D

I really only watch KU. I may turn on another game, like I did with the last 10 minutes of the Duke game tonight, but I never plan anything around a team playing that’s not Kansas.

I watch as much as I can..

I watch all the Big XII
I watch nearly all the nBE

I watch about half of the SEC, ACC, B1G and Pac12 matchups.

Throw in a few "other" games each week as well.. (WSU/UNLV/BYU/MTSU/Nevada/SMU)
because, basketball.

I'm more of a fan of college basketball than any specific team so I watch as many games as I can and definitely any and every match up between good teams no matter who they are.

Absolutely. I watch every minute of KsU football and basketball and used to do the same with Misery, but they just aren’t as important anymore.

To me, rooting against somebody is every bit as important as rooting for somebody.

I watch as much as I can..

I watch all the Big XII
I watch nearly all the nBE

I watch about half of the SEC, ACC, B1G and Pac12 matchups.

Throw in a few "other" games each week as well.. (WSU/UNLV/BYU/MTSU/Nevada/SMU)
because, basketball.

Yeah, this is pretty much me except for Duke, which I just don't watch much of. Any other game that is on I'm probably watching.

Reactions: KisteK
I’ve seen quite a few Kentucky and Duke games. When you follow recruiting closely sometimes you want to see how guys who you just missed out on do.

Also UK vs Robert Morris. If you didn’t watch that you missed out.

I'll watch marquee tournament games in their entirety or the occasional game at the beginning of the season when I'm still recovering from basketball starvation, but for the most part I only watch a game from start to finish if UK is in it. Otherwise I flip back and forth based on how close the game is. I am more likely to tune in to a close game involving one of UK's rivals than I am two top teams that UK isn't affiliated with at all.

So lemme ask... the second part there is what I was also wondering about... how emotional do you get about the games? Like, do you get furious if a team you dislike wins in a game that doesn't involve your team?

Reactions: toonces11
I watch all games I can. The off season is long enough. Don't really care if rivals win or not. Sometimes I find myself rooting for rivals. Late in the FSU/UL game I felt UL was getting screwed a bit with the trainer and net thing, I then wanted them to win. Last night, I rooted for Duke when they were down and KU as well.

I watch as much as I can. Watch Carolina quite a bit prob second most to Duke and yes I root as hard as I can against them and if they're in a tight game and win I'm upset. I watch Kentucky games especially if they're playing a ranked team. I watch some Tennessee games and will watch any high ranked team if I get a chance.

I'll keep up with most any game on just while I sit around with my iPad in my lap, and focus in on the marquee matchups. I like to keep up with the ESPN Scroll as I watch and chill.

I can channel surf with UNC, UK, and others. But just sit down and watch a game of a rival? I have better things to do.

I DVR every UNC game. If it's not an established team, I usually fast-forward to the second half. If the score is reasonably close, I'll watch the game (ala the Wofford and Wake games).

If I have the time, I'll watch games from start to finish. Fortunately I DVR 3-5 games a night, so I can watch a full game in about 45 minutes. Games I try to watch in order:

1. Duke
2. UNC
3. Whatever ACC game is on
4. Bill Walton Pac-12 games
5. Trae Young/Oklahoma
6. Kentucky (I don't hate them, but I enjoy rooting against them)
7. Clemson (my backup favorite team)
8. West Virginia (gotta love the press)
9. Texas A&M (I enjoy watching their bigs, even if they're struggling right now)
10. Arizona (Bill Walton might love DeAndre Ayton more than his own children. He is a fun player to watch, though).

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Gotta say, I've never, for example, watched a single UNC game if Duke wasn't in it. Honestly, I haven't watched a full game Duke isn't in... Jesus, maybe forever?

But looking at some boards, there are like four and five page threads dedicated to games that said boards aren't dedicated to. And man, those fans get really emotional about them. Like, as if it were their own team playing.

This strikes me as bizarre.

Do many of you watch games your team isn't in, start to finish? If so, do you really get emotional about them?

I watch any game that I think will be a good one. And with all of the coverages available there are plenty of them to watch.

Besides Kansas games, I usually watch Roy and UNC. I'll also tune in and watch most Duke games if they are on. Other than that, I'll casually watch other ball games, but I won't go out of my way to watch.

Btw, how did my Likes Received strink down to 59? Not that I really care, but inquiring minds want to know.

I watch as many games as I can, because I love basketball. I don't even get that emotional over UK games until the tourney though, so definitely no to the second part.

Besides Kansas games, I usually watch Roy and UNC. I'll also tune in and watch most Duke games if they are on. Other than that, I'll casually watch other ball games, but I won't go out of my way to watch.

Btw, how did my Likes Received strink down to 59? Not that I really care, but inquiring minds want to know.
Probably a thread you were liked in got deleted.

So lemme ask... the second part there is what I was also wondering about... how emotional do you get about the games? Like, do you get furious if a team you dislike wins in a game that doesn't involve your team?
Oh---I will def yell at the TV and make irrational comments about officiating on teams I enjoy hating and also, teams ranked ahead my Hawks. I watch any top 25 matchup or future opponent Kansas will play if I have time.

Reactions: HawksJ

The Mr. knows about my ambivalence toward the b1g conference, when I lose money betting on/for b1g teams, I sometimes need a soft boost. So there're a few nights, if he's working late or in the shop after hours with his dad, he'll call one of the boys to inquire about my status. Laughing

(He also gets a text whenever certain teams lose, even though he doesn't root for anyone outside of KU and doesn't give a shlt about any other games.)

I don't ever care about non-tourney games, tho.. and (mostly) that carries over to Kansas games.
There are so many good games/teams each season... not many teams finishing with 0 losses.

The only time I'm pissy after a regular season game is when Kansas loses at home.

And if it's in conference, it's blunt:30... so that helps.

Watch as many ACC games as I can. Daughter went to USCe so I try and stomach those games as well. My nephew played football at Kansas State so I’ll watch them if I see they are on because I know he’s watching and it gives us something else to talk about besides family. Now I look out for Texas with Shaka being there, and that’s about it.

ADVERTISEMENT