ADVERTISEMENT

DJ Jeffries Decommits from UK

Honest question, with what you guys lost from last season, how is everyone thinking you’re going to be much better? I don’t follow recruiting that closely, but why are these new guys supposed to be better than Knox, Alexander, and the others that left?

Its preseason, so UK is going to be hyped. EJ will be better than Knox. His skills are similar to AD's, but let's be honest, he's no AD. Hagans is similar to Rondo. He's a good passer and looks to pass first. Quick hands on defense. Johnson can be described as having the motor and tenacity like MKG. Quickley will probably be a multi-year player at UK. Solid old school type guard.

Both front court and back court are deeper and a good shooting team. Last year we relied so much on Knox and Alexander. Washington coming back is huge. EJ, Travis and Washington inside are going to be a load to guard. Quade is a solid player. Who knows if Richards will be better. If he gets some court time, that's a huge plus.

Much more talented and experienced than last year's team. Diallo and Vanderbilt didn't contribute that much.

I don't expect them to dominate next week, but any exposure this time of the year is great!

Alexander is easy, he was only a 4*. Also Knox was just a Kennedy Meeks look alike. Not hard to be better than those expectations.

With that said, who knows? It's a gamble every year. some are better, some worse.

We're gambling on 5*'s, Live with the consequences I guess.

Ok. Just because Alexander was a 4* does not mean that he didn’t play like a 5* McDAA because he did and the draft shows that. That cant be used as comparison to this year. He played as good as any guard in the country.

Ok. Just because Alexander was a 4* does not mean that he didn’t play like a 5* McDAA because he did and the draft shows that. That cant be used as comparison to this year. He played as good as any guard in the country.
Still a 4*. Draft night is not be all end all.

kidding

LOL at all the hopes being built up here by non-UK fans. Of course, tons of Lil' Bro participation in this thread. Hilarious how they get their giggles out of any negative UK news while they currently have a dumpster fire as a basketball program.

DJ Jeffries is a great player and a loss for the recruiting class, but with Dontae Allen and Kahlil Whitney waiting in the wings for their UK offer, I'm not all that concerned about it. Nnnnneeeeexxxxttt!!!!

....Hey 86' and Rockhead.... yes, by 'tons', I'm referring to you two clowns that flap your gums here endlessly despite the levels of suckage your team is going to put on display for the forseeable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: RipThru
LOL at all the hopes being built up here by non-UK fans. Of course, tons of Lil' Bro participation in this thread. Hilarious how they get their giggles out of any negative UK news while they currently have a dumpster fire as a basketball program.

DJ Jeffries is a great player and a loss for the recruiting class, but with Dontae Allen and Kahlil Whitney waiting in the wings for their UK offer, I'm not all that concerned about it. Nnnnneeeeexxxxttt!!!!
It really does suck replacing a 5* kid.

with another 5*...amirite duke fans? 'highfive'

You're the only one who can relate.

I'm secretly crying inside, I really liked his game.

Reactions: tw3301

Tons of UL fans? Me and @rockycard equal tons of “lil bro” participation? You guys seem rustled and tad bit insecure. Calm your tarantulas darling.

Reactions: rockycard
I think that’s what might of put the nail in the coffin for me on RR. Either a nazi Germany joke, or a klansmen joke, can’t rememeber. Brilliant sense of humor around there though, almost as good as ULs “the hall”.

I think that’s what might of put the nail in the coffin for me on RR. Either a nazi Germany joke, or a klansmen joke, can’t rememeber. Brilliant sense of humor around there though, almost as good as ULs “the hall”.
nazop3.jpg

What's better than the Tournament?
By Hunter S. Thompson
Page 2 columnist

Hot damn, it is tournament time again, so let's have a quick run at predicting the outcome of the NCAA basketball Tournament in less than 33 minutes, because that is all I have left this morning. Deadlines and Gambling are all I really know in this world, so why not zoom right into it.

es. We will have another desperate showdown between Kentucky and Duke. With Kentucky losing again because of injuries. I hate to hear myself saying this, but I cannot tell a lie. Duke has a faster backcourt and a deeper stronger bench. The only way Duke can lose is by missing free throws, or by committing 18 more fouls than Kentucky, and that is a sucker bet.

I am shocked and disgusted to hear myself saying this. I think I just broke my own heart. Am I stupid? Three minutes ago I was telling Anita that Kentucky would mangle Duke in the final.

Who knows why I suddenly changed my mind? Many people will call me a whore and a fool and a traitor for saying these things in public and betraying my own people at a critical time like this -- and they all may be right, but so what?

There is no room in the gambling business for that kind of sentimental Hokum.

I have warned many times about the guaranteed dangers of betting with your heart instead of your head -- big darkness, soon come -- but every once in a while you get a fair chance to have it both ways, and the annual NCAA basketball Tournament is one of them.

That is why I say that I am "stuck with Kentucky" again this year. Hell, a blue-grass boy with a gambling habit could do a lot worse than being stuck with the SEC champion and No. 1 seed in this final showdown among the nation's best college basketball teams. It is the most dramatic event in sports -- and nevermind the World Series or the Kentucky Derby or even the three-hour Superbowl. I love all these things, but for long-running, heart-breaking, high-speed big money athletic competitions in the U.S.A., nothing compares to what Dr. Vitale calls "The Big Dance."

That is my story, and I'm sticking to it. Others may argue, but so what? That is why we gamble on these things. For myself, I would much prefer to be stuck with Kentucky in the NCAA Tournament, than stuck with George Bush in the White House. It is the difference between losing your wallet at a cock fight and losing all your credit cards forever, along with your job and your house and your ability to earn enough money to pay off your sports-gambling debts or even a six-pack on game day. Forget about winning your office pool, bubba. If Bush gets re-elected, you won't have an office.

Okay, let's get back to Basketball and the shoot-out in San Antonio, where the mere possibility of a Duke-Kentucky matchup for the championship is almost too much for me and 11 million other people to hope for. Duke is an ugly word in Kentucky. Nothing in the world compares to the joy of beating those hateful swine from Duke.

So of course I publicly predict a Duke-Kentucky final -- which is not so desperate at all, really. The numbers out of Vegas say it is probably that best bet on the board, at nine or 10 to one. So why not? I have studied the brackets carefully, and so should you. If you see a better shot, let me know.

I will bet heavily on every game, for many reasons and with many people. But in my heart I crave beating Duke even more than I crave the national championship.

As for who wins that game ... well, you could flip a coin, but I won't. No, I will live or die with Kentucky, as always. But I will wait for the injury reports until the very last moment before committing totally. Until then, it is all a matter of personal fouls and foul shots.

That is not much comfort to me because Duke's J.J. Redick is the best free-throw shooter in college basketball. Duke can be beaten, as Maryland showed last week -- but not if that bastard Reddick goes to the line more than once in the final three minutes. That is all we know, and all we need to know. Good luck.

How do UK fans get excited about run of the mill 5 star recruits anymore? Aren't ya"ll sick of expecting every guy with 5 stars next to their name to be the next Anthony Davis, Michael Beasley, Kevin Durant or Kyrie Irving when they usually aren't?

I'm probably the most homer Duke fan on this site but even I can only get pumped up for the guys who everyone seems pretty confident will dominate college from Day 1 like RJ Barrett.

Heck, @tw3301 doesn't get excited about any recruit anymore.

Reactions: tw3301
I'm probably the most homer Duke fan on this site but even I can only get pumped up for the guys who everyone seems pretty confident will dominate college from Day 1 like RJ Barrett.
Someone's gotta play the band wagon role.

Hate to bring logic into this thread, but I honestly think the move was best for both parties. He would get more shine elsewhere, and UK is still actively recruiting 3 other 3s that are his size - and will probably get 2 of them.

And that doesn’t even factor in the number of holdovers from this year. Dude is a multi year tweener and will probably graduate from whatever school he attends, so it’s important that he gets this decision right.

Reactions: KisteK
Honest question, with what you guys lost from last season, how is everyone thinking you’re going to be much better? I don’t follow recruiting that closely, but why are these new guys supposed to be better than Knox, Alexander, and the others that left?
you being a UL fan i can fully understand why
at UK and Duke lottery picks are replaced with lottery picks
the difference this year is we have shooting something we did not have last year
we also have a lot very talented depth

SGA and Knox were great at UK but so was Wall and Cousins, so replacing great players with more great players is not a problem for UK/Cal

you being a UL fan i can fully understand why
at UK and Duke lottery picks are replaced with lottery picks
the difference this year is we have shooting something we did not have last year
we also have a lot very talented depth

SGA and Knox were great at UK but so was Wall and Cousins, so replacing great players with more great players is not a problem for UK/Cal
but but but the Harrisons only went to two Final Fours.

ADVERTISEMENT