ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K retiring?

Goodman is breaking all the stories. Well, this should help with continuity and recruiting. I like Scheyer. I think he'll do well. Wish he had head coaching experience, but can't complain too much. He's one of the Duke guys I actually think has a promising future.
This is a great move by K. Low hanging jokes aside, you nailed it with "continuity".

With that said. He is a first time coach.

Reactions: dukedevilz
No idea how Scheyer is gonna do, but I'm surprised at how lackluster K's (and Roy/Cal/Self) coaching tree is. Who's the best guy on there, Quin Snyder? And he wasn't good at Missouri.

Only game I remember was Boston College.

Pretty sure Johnny Dawkins was the Associate Head Coach at the time.

I thought there were two during covid? I could totally be wrong.

Edit: Ah, I looked it up, I was thinking also FSU but that game was cancelled before they tipped off, K just didn't make the trip.

No idea how Scheyer is gonna do, but I'm surprised at how lackluster K's (and Roy/Cal/Self) coaching tree is. Who's the best guy on there, Quin Snyder? And he wasn't good at Missouri.

I mean, how many people have better trees than K? James, Dawkins, Hurley, Amaker, Blakeney, Snyder, Capel, Bray, Wojo, and so on... I mean, the guy has something like 20+ D1 coaches on his tree. How many coaches in history have more? A dozen? If you get to be a D1 head coach, you are at the peak of the profession. I mean, if you want to say "Hey, his tree doesn't have any titles!" okay fine, but how many coaches HAVE produced title winners, and did it really have much to do with THEM?

I think the "K doesn't have much of a coaching tree" idea is an older criticism that doesn't have much weight anymore.

Rick Pitino coaching tree is alright, Billy D...Tubby titles... Cronin...maybe not Andre McGee, he's a good one depending on who you ask

Edit: Ah, I looked it up, I was thinking also FSU but that game was cancelled before they tipped off, K just didn't make the trip.

I mean, how many people have better trees than K? James, Dawkins, Hurley, Amaker, Blakeney, Snyder, Capel, Bray, Wojo, and so on... I mean, the guy has something like 20+ D1 coaches on his tree. How many coaches in history have more? A dozen? If you get to be a D1 head coach, you are at the peak of the profession. I mean, if you want to say "Hey, his tree doesn't have any titles!" okay fine, but how many coaches HAVE produced title winners, and did it really have much to do with THEM?

I think the "K doesn't have much of a coaching tree" idea is an older criticism that doesn't have much weight anymore.

Take away Snyder and Bray the rest of those guys are barely average. Snyder got canned at Missouri so he didn't do to well at the college level. The tree may alot of branches but are they strong?

Great post. Plus, what a person does after they get the D1 job is up to them, not their mentor.

Take away Snyder and Bray the rest of those guys are barely average. Snyder got canned at Missouri so he didn't do to well at the college level. The tree may alot of branches but are they strong?
Amaker??? Capel is in the ACC and has coached in the Big12. Johnny Dawkins has had a nice career. Those guys are at top jobs in the US.

I don't know... show me a dozen coaches with better trees? Again, he has more than twenty d1 coaches in there... Not saying it is some OMG sort of thing (I bet Dean Smith has better) but I don't know how many people have better.

Amaker??? Capel is in the ACC and has coached in the Big12. Johnny Dawkins has had a nice career. Those guys are at top jobs in the US.

Capel got fired at OU. Just because you coach in the ACC doesn't mean you're a good coach, ask Danny Manning.

Reactions: RR30
I don't know... show me a dozen coaches with better trees? Again, he has more than twenty d1 coaches in there... Not saying it is some OMG sort of thing (I bet Dean Smith has better) but I don't know how many people have better.

The list is long I'll give you that but what school is rushing to interview them? I do like Dawkins, Amaker and Hurley as coaches but IMO they don't jump out at me.

The list is long I'll give you that but what school is rushing to interview them? I do like Dawkins, Amaker and Hurley as coaches but IMO they don't jump out at me.

Exactly my point. You look at that list and nothing really wows you. Considering how long he's been at the apex I expected at least one top coach.

Rick Pitino coaching tree is alright, Billy D...Tubby titles... Cronin...maybe not Andre McGee, he's a good one depending on who you ask

Probably the best answer recently.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Pitino's coaching tree is impressive. Here's how far some of his former players/assistants have advanced in the tournament:

NCAA Champions
Billy Donovan, Florida
Tubby Smith, Kentucky

Final Four
Mick Cronin, UCLA

Elite Eight
Andy Enfield, USC

Sweet 16
Herb Sendek, NC State
Ralph Willard, Western Kentucky

Round of 32
Kevin Willard, Seton Hall
Travis Ford, Oklahoma State
Richard Pitino, Minnesota
Louis Orr, Seton Hall
John Pelphrey, Arkansas

Round of 64
Patrick Ewing, Georgetown
Mark Pope, BYU
Marvin Menzies, New Mexico State
Reggie Theus, New Mexico State
Jim Christian, Kent State
Steve Masiello, Manhattan

Coach K, a native of Chicago, was 33 when offered the Duke job. Jon Scheyer is also from Chicago - and hey, he's also 33 years old, as well.

Had the good fortune of bumping into Reggie Theus long ago, saw him on the Pitino coaching tree list... This guy is out on the town and he gives me a stranger 15 min of his time to talk basketball, his career, dude was really down to earth.

Get ready for more floor slapping and crybaby white kids ;)

giphy.gif

Reactions: JimboBBN
I was surprised with Hubert hire and like you I was like let's give him a chance. If they're both great hires that's make it better for the rivalry.
Following a legend is a tough gig.Bill Self is the only example that I can think of who was successful

Gonna be tough to root against Scheyer. He's from the next town over from where I live and grew up and same town where my office is. I watched him win a state title in high school. he still goes to the hot dog stand my buddy owns.

Reactions: WojoRising
Gonna be tough to root against Scheyer. He's from the next town over from where I live and grew up and same town where my office is. I watched him win a state title in high school. he still goes to the hot dog stand my buddy owns.
I will be expecting Duke to get the same treatment the Hawks get from you for having Trae Young

• Haha
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT