ADVERTISEMENT

Coach K retiring?

If Jon is hired we will all see if he's the right hire just like we'll see if Hubert was the right one for UNC.
Pretty much all we can do. I am pretty surprised by the presumed hiring of Scheyer tbh. But not absolutely destroyed by it. I never expected to have high expectations for the next Duke coach, so I guess this solidifies that.

This is huge news. I mean ppl are going to talk about it just like they did the AFAM scandal.

Don't get me started on hookers.

Pretty much all we can do. I am pretty surprised by the presumed hiring of Scheyer tbh. But not absolutely destroyed by it. I never expected to have high expectations for the next Duke coach, so I guess this solidifies that.

It's a win win for Coach K. If Scheyer succeeds, it's a testament to the Duke program and mentoring of Coach K. If he fails, it accentuates the greatness of Coach K.

I was surprised with Hubert hire and like you I was like let's give him a chance. If they're both great hires that's make it better for the rivalry.

5bvths.jpg

I was surprised with Hubert hire and like you I was like let's give him a chance. If they're both great hires that's make it better for the rivalry.
It's going to be a rough first couple of years. Lol. Like, playing each other on Wednesdays of the ACCT. We'll see.

Oh, so you are nothing but a copy cat. Got it. Sorry for hurting your little feelings. I will say this. I have more confidence in Scheyer than the clown Hubert.

My feelings never get hurt here, you on the other hand is still in shock. You contradict yourself on the regular and what makes it worse you're the most sensitive person on this forum. Have a few drinks, you'll be ok.

If it must be kept in the family, I’m probably happier with Scheyer than anybody else. Not a lot of great familial resumes out there. Bright guy, good recruiter, and has been very involved the last couple of years.

Maybe it’s just blissful ignorance because he hasn’t had an opportunity to fail yet like the others, but I’m not mad (yet)

My feelings never get hurt here, you on the other hand is still in shock. You contradict yourself on the regular and what makes it worse you're the most sensitive person on this forum. Have a few drinks, you'll be ok.
"you on the other hand a are still in shock. Not "is". Afam major strikes again. And my feelings never get hurt here. And I plan to.

Last edited:
If it must be kept in the family, I’m probably happier with Scheyer than anybody else. Not a lot of great familial resumes out there. Bright guy, good recruiter, and has been very involved the last couple of years.

Maybe it’s just blissful ignorance because he hasn’t had an opportunity to fail yet like the others, but I’m not mad (yet)
Quin Snyder?

Reactions: dukedevilz
If it's in the family wouldn't Amaker make the most sense he has had some success in the Ivy right? Has been at a big time program previously understands what it takes etc

Is it fair to say some here would llike to see Duke do better than IU and not fall by the wayside?

Quin Snyder?

Would be awesome. Dude was such a juggernaut recruiter for Duke in the 90's. Those '97 and '99 recruiting classes were disgustingly talented. '97 had Elton Brand, Shane Battier, and William Avery. '99 had Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer, and Mike Dunleavy.

He had a lot of recruiting violations at Missouri, not sure of everything that transpired there, but he definitely had a tarnished image and he knew he wasn't going to be offered a high-profiled job anytime soon. Hasn't been in college ranks since he left Mizzou. And with the success of Utah, you gotta wonder if he would seriously consider the opening. Dude can coach though, no question. Would love to have him for an interview, if nothing else. Snyder and Scheyer are the only Duke guys that I'm remotely interested in.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Yeah, if I were a Duke fan I would definitely prefer him over Capel, Wojo, Amaker, or Dawkins.

Reactions: WojoRising
More than likely the next coach is going to struggle big time. Just looking @ some former legends, Bob Knight @ IU and Tom Osborne at Nebraska, for ex...

Joey Meyer DePaul

RollLaugh

Quin Snyder had some issues with the NCAA while @ MIZZOU he'd be pretty risky, but maybe just right in today's era.

Absolutely. NCAA seems ambivalent about enforcing the rules. And if he were given the job, I'd imagine he probably wouldn't be nearly as aggressive with his recruiting tactics as he once was 20 years ago.

Goodman is breaking all the stories. Well, this should help with continuity and recruiting. I like Scheyer. I think he'll do well. Wish he had head coaching experience, but can't complain too much. He's one of the Duke guys I actually think has a promising future.

Snyder would be a great option I would think but would assume there is zero reason he would leave the NBA for a college gig. He is really successful and highly thought off there.

Had to drop by...

Big news, but hardly shocking. The guy is old:)

Glad he is waiting a year... if he left now, then the next coach who takes over has to deal with defections and no time to recruit, making him both weak and making him LOOK weak. No thanks. Give them a year to prep, and give us a year of enjoying his last hurrah.

TOTALLY fine with Scheyer taking over. Really really bright kid who a lot of folks in the know speak VERY highly of. Excellent recruiter... was the guy behind Tatum and Zion and Carey and Kennard and Paolo and a bunch of others. Really immersed in the system. And young enough that, if things go badly, he can move on and it wont do huge damage to him or Duke... I mean, I don't think he will take much flak if he CANNOT successfully take over for K. Have loved Jon since the start.

Now I just hope that we got the national title payments into the NCAA in time...

ADVERTISEMENT