ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard hired by Texas

Beard was an assistant at Tech for a decade and left unlv after a week for the Tech job. Tech fans actually thought he was more connected to Lubbock than he actually was. I'm sure he loved coaching there, but it isn't Texas.

It sucks to be big brothered by anybody, let alone someone in your conference. I'm sure Utah State fans hate that Utah stole their coach. This is on a whole extra level since they are in the same conference and Texas Tech fans probably think they are on Texas's level. This was a huge statement that Tech is the little brother.

That is a bad sign for the conference when schools start poaching

😂🤣.
Everyone who lives in reality knew Chris Beard wanted the job.

Like I said last week. Someone on the inside at Tech pretty much said Beard came very close to leaving 2 years ago. But Texas didn't want to buyout Shaka. Michigan and UCLA went other directions..
After the 2019 season Shaka was being mentioned with almost all.the jobs...Anyone around the Tech program knew Beard was positioning himself to replace Shaka.

Tech was scared and pretty much gave Beard some money in exchange for the buyout.
If you look at the buyout you knew what was going to happen....

😂🤣.
Everyone who lives in reality knew Chris Beard wanted the job.

Like I said last week. Someone on the inside at Tech pretty much said Beard came very close to leaving 2 years ago. But Texas didn't want to buyout Shaka. Michigan and UCLA went other directions..
After the 2019 season Shaka was being mentioned with almost all.the jobs...Anyone around the Tech program knew Beard was positioning himself to replace Shaka.

Tech was scared and pretty much gave Beard some money in exchange for the buyout.
If you look at the buyout you knew what was going to happen....

You can puff out your chest all you want, but the fact that Adams declined to join him should have you concerned. Adams is what made Beard’s teams work. He was the entire defensive philosophy and made all the half time adjustments. Not getting him means you missed the biggest part of the deal.

UT is going to settle for no less than what Tech has done in the last few years. Beard is going to expect 100% buy in from day one. If both of those don’t happen you just paid a king’s ransom for Shaka 2.0.

Reactions: Circlesh
You can puff out your chest all you want, but the fact that Adams declined to join him should have you concerned. Adams is what made Beard’s teams work. He was the entire defensive philosophy and made all the half time adjustments. Not getting him means you missed the biggest part of the deal.

UT is going to settle for no less than what Tech has done in the last few years. Beard is going to expect 100% buy in from day one. If both of those don’t happen you just paid a king’s ransom for Shaka 2.0.

So if Texas hired this Mark Adams guy and left Chris Beard you would be totally bummed.
I am not going to say you are wrong but it is quite a stretch. Plus Beard did bring in Chris Ogden who was the head coach at UTA...

sand aggy going full sand aggy it sounds like.

• Haha
Did you just start watching college basketball in 2016?

Nope.

e90a2aff6ee5ab5d277a2269cd8739c2.png

Who is this dude and why is he so pissed that a coach left to coach his alma mater? Did he not see this coming? 😆

Well to understand his perspective for more. Beard has been a basketball coach for 25 years. 15 of those he spent in Lubbock as an assistant (10) and head coach (5).

TJ Ford needs to show Beard how to dress...

Beard needs to leave that back in Lubbock.

Ah already begging Texas fans to show up to games.

So if Texas hired this Mark Adams guy and left Chris Beard you would be totally bummed.
I am not going to say you are wrong but it is quite a stretch. Plus Beard did bring in Chris Ogden who was the head coach at UTA...

sand aggy going full sand aggy it sounds like.

I wouldn’t be thrilled to be honest. Chris is a good coach, no doubt but his bread and butter is building the program, engaging the fans/donors etc.

The architect of the defense and more of the player/coach relations was Adams realm. Beard runs the motion and is married to that offense, it won’t change. You’re going to wonder where points will come from and have stretches of games where the offense just isn’t working. You’re going to have a lot of roster turnover because Chris is not easy to play for. And you’re going to have 3-4 guys get left behind every year because Beard doesn’t want to develop them.

The things he did in Lubbock probably won’t play as well in Austin with a much larger city and much more liberal fan base.

I don’t know if his style works in the larger setting honestly. He will work his ass off though so it won’t be for lack of trying.

You can fall back on your elitism or calling us sand aggies or whatever you want, but most of us are being very reasonable and trying to have a honest dialogue. I think it’s a high risk high reward and you’ll likely see some short term success then it will plateau.

I wouldn’t be thrilled to be honest. Chris is a good coach, no doubt but his bread and butter is building the program, engaging the fans/donors etc.

The architect of the defense and more of the player/coach relations was Adams realm. Beard runs the motion and is married to that offense, it won’t change. You’re going to wonder where points will come from and have stretches of games where the offense just isn’t working. You’re going to have a lot of roster turnover because Chris is not easy to play for. And you’re going to have 3-4 guys get left behind every year because Beard doesn’t want to develop them.

The things he did in Lubbock probably won’t play as well in Austin with a much larger city and much more liberal fan base.

I don’t know if his style works in the larger setting honestly. He will work his ass off though so it won’t be for lack of trying.

You can fall back on your elitism or calling us sand aggies or whatever you want, but most of us are being very reasonable and trying to have a honest dialogue. I think it’s a high risk high reward and you’ll likely see some short term success then it will plateau.

Once again....
Beard never offered Adams a spot on his staff at UT.

Adams was there because of Beard's limited budget.
You are creating a narrative to make yourself feel better.
Not really trying to have a reasonable conversation

Once again....

Beard is still trying to get Adams to come to UT. I know it doesn’t fit the UT narrative that he just didn’t sprint to the plane, but Adams wanted to stay. If you think he didn’t want Adams it just goes to show how little you know about your new head coach. But you did get Ogden to leave a job he was about to get fired from to take a lesser role, so kudos I guess.

Beard is still trying to get Adams to come to UT. I know it doesn’t fit the UT narrative that he just didn’t sprint to the plane, but Adams wanted to stay. If you think he didn’t want Adams it just goes to show how little you know about your new head coach. But you did get Ogden to leave a job he was about to get fired from to take a lesser role, so kudos I guess.

Once again....
Who is living off in delusion?

It looks like Tech. Hate to tell you. Now you are creating a narrative that Beard wanted Adams.

His staff is already pretty much made up.

Adams doesn't fit. TJ Ford is the Minister of Texas Basketball... Ford has his people.

• Haha
Once again....
Who is living off in delusion?

It looks like Tech. Hate to tell you. Now you are creating a narrative that Beard wanted Adams.

His staff is already pretty much made up.

Adams doesn't fit. TJ Ford is the Minister of Texas Basketball... Ford has his people.

Cool. Who is on his staff Ogden and who else?

What is with the minister thing? Ford? McConaughey? They perform weddings or something?

Reactions: RedR8der4Life
I really feel bad for you guys. Like, your most successful coach by far in program history leaves for an instate in conference rival school. Yikes.

Ehhh, shit happens. It’s a hit for sure but we’re committed to not going backwards. Too much money has been poured into the program to do that. We’ll know something in the next week or two with the search committee doing it’s thing.

Once again....

No, we are all pissed Beard has left. But @Mtterrell is telling you the truth about Adams. He was Beard's most important assistant. Without him, we are not the defensive team we were. That's a fact. So, Adams not following him is a big blow to his system, but I'm sure he will find a competent replacement. Lots of great coaches out there. But Adams was absolutely the architect of our defense. Beard, as great of a coach as he is, has his issues. The biggest being late game coaching lapses that are infuriating.

I cannot speak on it.
He is a quality coach. Been around West Texas Basketball for awhile. There are some good coaches there off the grid.

But is he who some of you are making him out to be...
That is difficult to say. I don't know enough about him and I haven't heard anyone confirm what you are telling me.

A lot of false narratives that are put out there by some people around Tx Tech....

Trust the source, people.
These are the same people were telling you that Chris Beard wasn't going to leave. They are clueless.

I do know the coach who left. He was with John Lucas here in Houston.
Coached at almost all the schools in Texas. Was on the staff work Larry Brown at SMU..
Ulric Malgi has a name.

One of the best recruiters in the state.

Ehhh, shit happens. It’s a hit for sure but we’re committed to not going backwards. Too much money has been poured into the program to do that. We’ll know something in the next week or two with the search committee doing it’s thing.

I understand the frustration with Beard but Texas Tech is not a dead program. They have a good fanbase and there's a good basketball culture in West Texas/New Mexico/Arizona. I think there are plenty of good coaches around that Texas Tech can hire and be fine.

Here to eat shit. I can not F'n believe it. Beard has made a lot of enemies with this move. Big mistake on his part, but I guess I shouldn't be shocked by a coach saying one thing and doing another. I thought he would have better character than that. Oh well! F him.

Why is it a big mistake? Beard got his degree from Texas in 1995. He was a student assistant under Tom Penders. Beard may have made some Tech "enemies", but he gains Texas "allies".

Character? When you are interviewing for another job, do you walk in and give your current boss a head's up?

I live in Houston, but grew up in San Antonio and love San Antonio. If I got the opportunity to go home, I would take it. This is exactly what Beard did.

I cannot speak on it.
He is a quality coach. Been around West Texas Basketball for awhile. There are some good coaches there off the grid.

But is he who some of you are making him out to be...
That is difficult to say. I don't know enough about him and I haven't heard anyone confirm what you are telling me.

A lot of false narratives that are put out there by some people around Tx Tech....

Trust the source, people.
These are the same people were telling you that Chris Beard wasn't going to leave. They are clueless.

I do know the coach who left. He was with John Lucas here in Houston.
Coached at almost all the schools in Texas. Was on the staff work Larry Brown at SMU..
Ulric Malgi has a name.

One of the best recruiters in the state.

Adams coached the defense. Beard coached the offense. Other guys recruited and coached. What was Tech known for the past few seasons? Defense or offense?

As a UNLV fan, I am enjoying the sh!t out of this!

He was there a week your regents wanted to discuss if he was worth the money before they signed

Why is it a big mistake? Beard got his degree from Texas in 1995. He was a student assistant under Tom Penders. Beard may have made some Tech "enemies", but he gains Texas "allies".

Character? When you are interviewing for another job, do you walk in and give your current boss a head's up?

I live in Houston, but grew up in San Antonio and love San Antonio. If I got the opportunity to go home, I would take it. This is exactly what Beard did.

Where did Darrel Royal go to school?

Lol at Texas “allies” what ministers of this or that?

New Texas Tech coach Chris Beard says this is his ‘dream job’

“This is exactly where I want to be,” Beard said. “This is my dream job. (It) always has been. Today is one of the best days of my life.”

“As a kid growing up in Dallas, I only had one chance to go to a basketball camp, and I chose Texas Tech,” Beard said. “I had never been to Lubbock before. I was in the eighth or ninth grade. Saved my money. Got on a Southwest flight. I won the Hot Shot contest, but they ran out of trophies. I was so mad. I wrote letters. …

“Years later, I get the job with Coach (Bobby) Knight, but it wasn’t my place to ask about the trophy. So I bit my tongue for 10 more years. Finally, when I became head coach, I went right to (former Red Raiders coach) Gerald Myers and explained my story. I’m kind of upset. … So (Myers) later comes to my office and has my 1980 Hot Shot trophy. Gerald Myers — truth teller, real guy, admits when he makes a mistake, paid me back years later.”

Cinco Boone, the current head coach at Angelo State, has known Beard for a while.

“Obviously from a personal standpoint, it’s his home,” Boone said. “From a professional standpoint, Texas Tech meant the world to him. It molded him as a coach working for Coach (Bob) Knight and Pat (Knight). He has a lot of roots there with all the people he made impressions on while he was there.”

Last edited:

It was obviously very important to him. I get it. He turned down a lifetime contract and wouldn't even let Hocutt counter the offer. That tells me he was going no matter what. More power to him. He used us as a stepping stone. But, he told us otherwise. That's the part that has hurt feelings. And I'm not just talking about simple coach speak. He put down roots and convinced the fans he was "Home".

So, look at it this way. Your girl just cheated on you with your neighbor. Now they are together and living right next door. That's as good an analogy as any. You would be pissed, too. But, we will get over it and move on. But, you are the one living with a cheating whore. Laughing

This Mark Adams guy stayed. Guess he is the brains behind the operation and Chris Beard was riding off his coattails.
I'm pretty straight with you, right? Mark Adams was a big part of our success. Doesn't mean Beard won't be great for you guys. But, if things look off, remember this. A lot of fans want us to hire him as HC. There is a reason for that.

I'm still not convinced Beard is a top tier coach. Time will tell.
You're joking right Kev? He took a basketball program with zero tradition and success to 2 straight Elite 8s, a title game and 3 straight NCAAT appearances.

TTU probably should've made the Elite 8 this year if they didn't completely choke and miss open layups vs Arkansas at the end of their 2nd round game.

Beard is easily a top 10 coach and Tejas just hit a grandslam.

You're joking right Kev? He took a basketball program with zero tradition and success to 2 straight Elite 8s, a title game and 3 straight NCAAT appearances.

TTU probably should've made the Elite 8 this year if they didn't completely choke and miss open layups vs Arkansas at the end of their 2nd round game.

Zero tradition?

We'll see. People said the same thing about Smart after his 1st four to Final Four run at VCU followed by 4 more tourney appearances before Texas hired him. 6 years at Texas with 3 tourney appearances and zero tournament wins and he bolted for Marquette before Texas could fire him.

Reactions: Montana81
We'll see. People said the same thing about Smart after his 1st four to Final Four run at VCU followed by 4 more tourney appearances before Texas hired him. 6 years at Texas with 3 tourney appearances and zero tournament wins and he bolted for Marquette before Texas could fire him.

I think he’s going to be an upgrade over Shaka. But I’ve not been overly impressed with Beard. I cringed a little every time a UK fan talked about getting rid of Cal for Beard.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I think he’s going to be an upgrade over Shaka. But I’ve not been overly impressed with Beard. I cringed a little every time a UK fan talked about getting rid of Cal for Beard.
Yeah, people always see a short run of success and think a coach is the next big thing (happened with Kevin Ollie, too 😆). Sometimes the stars align and rosters end up perfectly constructed with guys that play great together. Doesn't always mean premier coaching is what made them successful. I'm not saying Beard isn't or won't be a great coach, I'm just saying I haven't seen enough to prove that yet.

Reactions: Montana81

Smart had nothing but one flukey run though. Never even won the league.

Because according to Tech it was Mark Adams and not Chris Beard
So obviously it would have been a mistake unless you brought in the true brains behind the operation

ADVERTISEMENT