ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard hired by Texas

I think he’s going to be an upgrade over Shaka. But I’ve not been overly impressed with Beard. I cringed a little every time a UK fan talked about getting rid of Cal for Beard.

If you haven't been impressed, that must mean you think there are plenty of coaches who could have done what he did at TT the last 5 years?

Smart had nothing but one flukey run though. Never even won the league.
Exactly, never won the CAA or A-10 and still managed to take a mid-major to 5 straight tourneys (and won the prestigious CBI the year before the Final Four).

If you haven't been impressed, that must mean you think there are plenty of coaches who could have done what he did at TT the last 5 years?

He lost 10+ games in 4 of his 5 seasons. That’s not that great. Let’s not act like tech is a low major. They’re still a power 5 team in an area rich in talent with an enrollment of over 40 thousand. Not exactly podunk U. He had a nice two year tourney run.

but again, still an upgrade over Shaka.

He lost 10+ games in 4 of his 5 seasons. That’s not that great. Let’s not act like tech is a low major. They’re still a power 5 team in an area rich in talent with an enrollment of over 40 thousand. Not exactly podunk U. He had a nice two year tourney run.

but again, still an upgrade over Shaka.

One of those 10+ loss seasons was a 3 seed that went to the elite 8. You don't seem to be considering that they've played pretty tough schedules.

So you would expect a good coach to be able to win big from day one in Lubbock and win big every year? Don't you think that's slightly ridiculous?

Bobby Knight's the only coach who's been able to do close to what he's done there.

One of those 10+ loss seasons was a 3 seed that went to the elite 8. You don't seem to be considering that they've played pretty tough schedules.

So you would expect a good coach to be able to win big from day one in Lubbock and win big every year? Don't you think that's slightly ridiculous?

Bobby Knight's the only coach who's been able to do close to what he's done there.

Not necessarily from day one but isn’t winning big consistently the goal for every program?
And let’s also not act like that was prime Bobby Knight and not the Bobby Knight that hadn’t been relevent for nearly a decade.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Yes he went to the Elite 8 with a lot of Tubby Smith's players after we went to the tournament the previous season.

James Dickey did fairly well here.

Not necessarily from day one but isn’t winning big consistently the goal for every program?
And let’s also not act like that was prime Bobby Knight and not the Bobby Knight that hadn’t been relevent for nearly a decade.
One thing about Calipari's championship is he beat a blue blood to earn it. Not many coaches can say that.

Beating KU in a championship game is 4th(5thish), best a coach can do.

Reactions: Montana81
It was obviously very important to him. I get it. He turned down a lifetime contract and wouldn't even let Hocutt counter the offer. That tells me he was going no matter what. More power to him. He used us as a stepping stone. But, he told us otherwise. That's the part that has hurt feelings. And I'm not just talking about simple coach speak. He put down roots and convinced the fans he was "Home".

So, look at it this way. Your girl just cheated on you with your neighbor. Now they are together and living right next door. That's as good an analogy as any. You would be pissed, too. But, we will get over it and move on. But, you are the one living with a cheating whore. Laughing

Not really a very good analogy and you probably already know that.

Beard graduated from The University of Texas. Not Texas Tech. He had a chance to go home. Your cheating analogy is so far off from reality it screams butt hurt.

Adams coached the defense. Beard coached the offense. Other guys recruited and coached. What was Tech known for the past few seasons? Defense or offense?

He was there a week your regents wanted to discuss if he was worth the money before they signed

Where did Darrel Royal go to school?

Lol at Texas “allies” what ministers of this or that?

New Texas Tech coach Chris Beard says this is his ‘dream job’

“This is exactly where I want to be,” Beard said. “This is my dream job. (It) always has been. Today is one of the best days of my life.”

“As a kid growing up in Dallas, I only had one chance to go to a basketball camp, and I chose Texas Tech,” Beard said. “I had never been to Lubbock before. I was in the eighth or ninth grade. Saved my money. Got on a Southwest flight. I won the Hot Shot contest, but they ran out of trophies. I was so mad. I wrote letters. …

“Years later, I get the job with Coach (Bobby) Knight, but it wasn’t my place to ask about the trophy. So I bit my tongue for 10 more years. Finally, when I became head coach, I went right to (former Red Raiders coach) Gerald Myers and explained my story. I’m kind of upset. … So (Myers) later comes to my office and has my 1980 Hot Shot trophy. Gerald Myers — truth teller, real guy, admits when he makes a mistake, paid me back years later.”

Cinco Boone, the current head coach at Angelo State, has known Beard for a while.

“Obviously from a personal standpoint, it’s his home,” Boone said. “From a professional standpoint, Texas Tech meant the world to him. It molded him as a coach working for Coach (Bob) Knight and Pat (Knight). He has a lot of roots there with all the people he made impressions on while he was there.”

What the fvck did you expect him to say? "This job is just a stepping stone and if Texas, where I graduated comes calling I am gone".

And what the hell does Darrell Royal have to do with this? He never coached at OU. He never got an offer to go back and coach at OU. Nice tilting at windmills.

Yeah, it's probably the goal for Savannah St too, but we're talking about realistic expectations.

Tech had 5 losing seasons in 6 years before Beard. The cupboard wasn't exactly stocked. Yet he had a fairly competitive team in year one and a winning record. Then elite 8 in year two and 30 wins/almost a national championship in year three. Plus, the Little Rock team that he coached before Tech was dramatically better in his one year and then immediately went back to the norm when he left.

There might be a good amount of talent in Texas, but there's about 10 schools ahead of Tech in the pecking order. Recruiting to Lubbock probably isn't the easiest sell in the world either.

Regardless, we're talking about coaching ability, not recruiting. Recruiting won't be an issue an Austin.

You just watched your HOF coach go 9-16 in an average major conference with a roster full of top recruits and top transfers. You'd think you'd have some appreciation for how hard it is to win in Lubbock.

Last edited:
Not really a very good analogy and you probably already know that.

Beard graduated from The University of Texas. Not Texas Tech. He had a chance to go home. Your cheating analogy is so far off from reality it screams butt hurt.
My bad. I didn't realize you were one of those Horn fans.

Reactions: Circlesh
What the fvck did you expect him to say? "This job is just a stepping stone and if Texas, where I graduated comes calling I am gone".

And what the hell does Darrell Royal have to do with this? He never coached at OU. He never got an offer to go back and coach at OU. Nice tilting at windmills.
Yeah I always laugh when people get upset at coaches for saying they love it at their current spot and then leave. What do you want them to say; "Yeah it is great here, but as soon as I get a better job, I'm out!"

Some things in life you don't say the full truth. It is the same in business. We have probably all left jobs for other jobs that were better. We don't broadcast to the world that we are only there until something better comes along. That just isn't how the world operates.

Reactions: bignish

What normal happens when a coach takes any job? I’m thankful for the opportunity and ready to go win games.

He decided to cry and call Texas Tech “Mama”. Made this statement: “This is exactly where I want to be,” Beard said. “This is my dream job. (It) always has been. Today is one of the best days of my life.”

All the other times someone became Texas Tech Head Coach they didn’t say all that. James Dickey, Bobby Knight, Tubby Smith, etc didn’t say it was their dream job. Meanwhile Beard is emotional and saying it’s his dream job.

It was all Tubby and Mark Adams..

Chris Beard didn't do anything there. He was riding coattails

You thought he wasn’t that great before UT hired him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Circlesh
I thought the expectations were too high for him coming off of two big years.

Didn't want people to start running his name through the mud because he didn't finish near the Top 10.

Both seasons they had Tech ranked way too high...
But the roster didn't justify the ranking.

I thought the expectations were too high for him coming off of two big years.

Didn't want people to start running his name through the mud because he didn't finish near the Top 10.

Both seasons they had Tech ranked way too high...
But the roster didn't justify the ranking.

Good news then since he’s going to Texas with reasonable expectations.

What normal happens when a coach takes any job? I’m thankful for the opportunity and ready to go win games.

He decided to cry and call Texas Tech “Mama”. Made this statement: “This is exactly where I want to be,” Beard said. “This is my dream job. (It) always has been. Today is one of the best days of my life.”

All the other times someone became Texas Tech Head Coach they didn’t say all that. James Dickey, Bobby Knight, Tubby Smith, etc didn’t say it was their dream job. Meanwhile Beard is emotional and saying it’s his dream job.

You thought he wasn’t that great before UT hired him.

Jesus Christ you titty baby. It's coach speak.

You must believe your politicians too. Good lord.

Have a happy Easter. (PS, the Easter bunny isn't real.)

Yeah, it's probably the goal for Savannah St too, but we're talking about realistic expectations.

Tech had 5 losing seasons in 6 years before Beard. The cupboard wasn't exactly stocked. Yet he had a fairly competitive team in year one and a winning record. Then elite 8 in year two and 30 wins/almost a national championship in year three. Plus, the Little Rock team that he coached before Tech was dramatically better in his one year and then immediately went back to the norm when he left.

There might be a good amount of talent in Texas, but there's about 10 schools ahead of Tech in the pecking order. Recruiting to Lubbock probably isn't the easiest sell in the world either.

Regardless, we're talking about coaching ability, not recruiting. Recruiting won't be an issue an Austin.

You just watched your HOF coach go 9-16 in an average major conference with a roster full of top recruits and top transfers. You'd think you'd have some appreciation for how hard it is to win in Lubbock.

not sure what Cal’s failures as a coach have to do with this conversation but sure sure.Laughing

What were realistic expectations for Gonzaga 20 years ago?

Jesus Christ you titty baby. It's coach speak.

You must believe your politicians too. Good lord.

Have a happy Easter. (PS, the Easter bunny isn't real.)

I don’t even think Kingsbury cried when we made him head coach and he was “coming home.”

not sure what Cal’s failures as a coach have to do with this conversation but sure sure.Laughing

What were realistic expectations for Gonzaga 20 years ago?

When Few took over? Higher than Tech's, for sure. They just went to the Elite 8 the year before Few was hired. Took him 16 years to get them back. Beard was there in year two and in the title game in year 3.

I think you're proving my point for me.

Reactions: bignish
When Few took over? Higher than Tech's, for sure. They just went to the Elite 8 the year before Few was hired. Took him 16 years to get them back. Beard was there in year two and in the title game in year 3.

I think you're proving my point for me.

Gonzaga had two NCAA tournament appearances before Few took over. One in 1996 and the Elie 8 run under Dan Monson in 1999.

TTU had 5 Sweet 16 runs and 15 NCAA appearances before Beard took over.

Tubby Smith rebuilt the program after the failed Pat Knight and Billy Gillispie eras. That Elite 8 team had a lot of Tubby’s recruits. I mean Beard even gave him credit.

Last edited:
Gonzaga had two NCAA tournament appearances before Few took over. One in 1996 and the Elie 8 run under Dan Monson in 1999.

Tubby Smith rebuilt the program after the failed Pat Knight and Billy Gillispie eras. That Elite 8 team had a lot of Tubby’s recruits. I mean Beard even gave him credit.

Gonzaga was far from a power when Few took over. They made a historic run in 1999 but to pretend that was the standard when he took over, is extremely disingenuous

Gonzaga was far from a power when Few took over. They made a historic run in 1999 but to pretend that was the standard when he took over, is extremely disingenuous

Yup. I also don’t understand pretending like we have no basketball history prior to Beard. Even before Bobby Knight... James Dickey had us beating UNC in the tournament.

Take out Rick Barnes tenure from Texas and you remove a lot of their “basketball tradition.”

Yup. I also don’t understand pretending like we have no basketball history prior to Beard. Even before Bobby Knight... James Dickey had us beating UNC in the tournament.

Take out Rick Barnes tenure from Texas and you remove a lot of their “basketball tradition.”

I guess when you say "no basketball history," you mean literally NO basketball history.

What school (other than Nebraska) doesn't have the occasional tourney appearance or Sweet 16 run?

I'd say the situations were pretty similar. Except that Few inherited a better team.

Both programs were rarely in the tourney. Both had a tourney appearance in the year prior. Gonzaga went deep and Tubby was one and done. Gonzaga brought back the top players from that team.

I'd call that a better starting point than returning a few guys from an 8 seed that went nowhere. Which was preceded by 5 straight losing seasons.

Gonzaga was an underappreciated mid-major when Few took over. They'd been posting solid records for years, but only made the tourney a few times. They probably could have made a little noise if given the chance in some of those other years too.

Last edited:

Tom Penders had some good years too.

That is why your coach is here....

Poor Tech fans.

You should understand this....
If you mess up at Texas they look for ways to turn the fanbase against you.

Sooner or Later it becomes too much.

Chris Beard understands this. Actually laughed when Tech fans were telling him not to go there because of the expectations.

That is why your coach is here....

Poor Tech fans.

You should understand this....
If you mess up at Texas they look for ways to turn the fanbase against you.

Sooner or Later it becomes too much.

Chris Beard understands this. Actually laughed when Tech fans were telling him not to go there because of the expectations.
If beard is a fraction as good as we consider him...what’s best scenario over the next five years? Go 500 against Self and KU?

That was after Shaka was pretty much warned...

Then he goes to Iowa State and gets embarrassed.
Somewhat motivated Shaka to prove to people he can coach at the end of last year.

But people had already given up on him.

We back winners. Tx Tech isn't any different.
This is why I find it so funny. Their fanbase behaves in a very similar matter

ADVERTISEMENT