ADVERTISEMENT

***Champions Classic Thread***

Untitled-1.png

Did we ever set rules on how long the Avatar is changed for?

Nope, UK had it won, but bad freshmen mistakes and typical Calipari substitution patterns gave KU the chance to win and KU did what good teams do.
Was reading an article this morning where Cal was talking about Thiero’s game and how much he’s improved. He said “He was subbing himself out at the right moments to rest . . . “

Is it possible that the erratic subbing patterns might be more on the players? I had never really thought about it.

Was reading an article this morning where Cal was talking about Thiero’s game and how much he’s improved. He said “He was subbing himself out at the right moments to rest . . . “

Is it possible that the erratic subbing patterns might be more on the players? I had never really thought about it.
I have to imagine if you on the bench and the dude is on a heater, you're don't sub yourself in. Ultimate trust in teammates. Same taking yourself out.

I like this team.

Reactions: cdbearde

I saw the same interview, but I have a hard time believing Dillingham and Reed subbed themselves out when they were so hot.
Plus, Cal's starting lineup in the 2nd half was Edwards and Wagner again. Those two guys got almost double the minutes and when you look at the stat lines, all you can do is shake your head.
Dillingham had foul trouble, but this is typical Cal. His lineups are based on draft projections, not who the better college player is.
Edwards had 1 point and played extremely weak. Wagner wasn't much better.
However, I don't want to shit on Cal too much, he had a great gameplan and it unraveled via freshmen mistakes and a lot of them.
Not understanding how to finish the first half, cost us 3 points and we were out of control in crunch time. We had our chances, but when a guy is hot, you let him cook.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
While Dilly is awesome offensively, he's got a way to go defensively. He gave up 9 points to Harris. Went under a screen twice, then tried to steal the ball and Harris is too good for that. Popped another 3.

Self actually took away Wagner's game with the way he played the bigs. Wagner likes to go to his left and Self took that away. Wagner is really good defensively. He fights through screens very well. We need him on defense.

I'm not worried about Edwards. The same reason Wagner could'nt get to the hole is the same reason for Edwards. Self took the lefties away.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
While Dilly is awesome offensively, he's got a way to go defensively. He gave up 9 points to Harris. Went under a screen twice, then tried to steal the ball and Harris is too good for that. Popped another 3.

Self actually took away Wagner's game with the way he played the bigs. Wagner likes to go to his left and Self took that away. Wagner is really good defensively. He fights through screens very well. We need him on defense.

I'm not worried about Edwards. The same reason Wagner could'nt get to the hole is the same reason for Edwards. Self took the lefties away.
While some might say Edwards is being passive, I'm looking at him not forcing anything. He's playing within the offense.

KU only needs to play UK on average once a year for the next 12 years and win all of them to tie UK on head to head

I believe when HCBS took over UK was leading 19-3 and now it's 24-12

KU only needs to play UK on average once a year for the next 12 years and win all of them to tie UK on head to head

I believe when HCBS took over UK was leading 19-3 and now it's 24-12
Maybe you can get a christmas tree ornament for your great great great grandchild.

Ku is on a run but lets not get carried away, You seem two steps forward and one back.

• Love
Reactions: ThePhog08
Random stat that I've been keeping track of over the years...

Champions Classic All-Time Leading Scorers
1. Ochai Agbaji, Kansas- 61
2. Frank Mason, Kansas- 57
3. Grayson Allen, Duke- 55
4. Keith Appling, Michigan State- 54
5. Perry Ellis, Kansas- 53
6. Amile Jefferson, Duke- 51
6. Malik Hall, Michigan State- 51
8. Jalen Wilson, Kansas- 48
9. Denzel Valentine, Michigan State- 47
9. Branden Dawson, Michigan State- 47
11. Cassius Winston, Michigan State- 46
12. Udoka Azubuike, Kansas- 44
13. Seth Curry, Duke- 43
14. Joey Hauser, Michigan State- 42
15. Alex Poythress, Kentucky- 40

Random stat that I've been keeping track of over the years...

Champions Classic All-Time Leading Scorers
1. Ochai Agbaji, Kansas- 61
2. Frank Mason, Kansas- 57
3. Grayson Allen, Duke- 55
4. Keith Appling, Michigan State- 54
5. Perry Ellis, Kansas- 53
6. Amile Jefferson, Duke- 51
6. Malik Hall, Michigan State- 51
8. Jalen Wilson, Kansas- 48
9. Denzel Valentine, Michigan State- 47
9. Branden Dawson, Michigan State- 47
11. Cassius Winston, Michigan State- 46
12. Udoka Azubuike, Kansas- 44
13. Seth Curry, Duke- 43
14. Joey Hauser, Michigan State- 42
15. Alex Poythress, Kentucky- 40

The very noticeable is how much older KU and MSU are when the games take place. Early games always going to be to the advantage of older teams. Then you add in that KU recruits at a higher level than MSU. You get the full scope of why KU is 7-1 in their last 8 Champions Classic games.

The very noticeable is how much older KU and MSU are when the games take place. Early games always going to be to the advantage of older teams. Then you add in that KU recruits at a higher level than MSU. You get the full scope of why KU is 7-1 in their last 8 Champions Classic games.

Duke and Kansas are both 8-5 in the CC, while MSU and Kentucky are both 5-8.

Recruiting seems to be on an uptick right now, but I don't know that it was better than MSU's over the last several years. There were some lean classes in there.

Recruiting seems to be on an uptick right now, but I don't know that it was better than MSU's over the last several years. There were some lean classes in there.
Izzo recruiting classes from 2018 until last year have sucked dog balls.

Izzo recruiting classes from 2018 until last year have sucked dog balls.

2018 was a decent class for Self and then the FBI probe took a major toll. From '19 to '23, he brought in 15 4 stars, three 5s, and two 3s. In the same span, Izzo had 11 4s, two 5s, one 3. And of Self's three 5 stars, only Dick wasn't worthless. Thompson was terrible and transferred after a year, and MJ Rice couldn't even get on the court (partly due to injury).

He did land a few solid transfers though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT