ADVERTISEMENT

***Champions Classic Thread***

KU doesn’t look like a good shooting team.

UK has some guys that really want it. Playing hard.
Streaky.

Furphy is probably our best shooter. But he missed most of the preseason and isn’t playing much yet. Still has those freshman nerves when he shoots. He will be a reliable one when he slows down. The rest of the guys… mediocre shooters. I think Hunter is a good shooter, but you don’t want your 7 footer taking jump shots all night.

Once they get at least 1 damn center back they won't really have to rely on him as much, especially as a 4.

Yep, we just played that game without a single post player to throw at Dickenson.

I hope like hell we get to play them again with everyone healthy.

Yes. Not sure they would have changed the outcome tonight. It was the speed of the smaller lineup that gave KU troubles when they didn’t take care of the ball. You would have been longer but slower. You would have slowed down Hunter but wouldn’t have had the fast break ability or shooting.

What those guys will do is give you more options depending on matchups. You can go big or you can go fast. Whichever depending on the matchup.

The lineup you had will only get better. Reeves will learn to not jack up guarded threes early in the shot clock with a lead. He made some freshman mistakes late in the game. The rest of the young guys though played like veterans. Good decision making and few mistakes. You guys are gonna be really good this year. It’s gonna have to be an off shooting night for anyone to beat you.
Reeves is a 5th year grad. 😬

Pffft, don't act like that gape ever gets sore. You probably don't even have any feeling back there anymore.
i-have-feelings-just-like-you-emotional.gif

Yes. Not sure they would have changed the outcome tonight.

You aren't sure having our three seven footers would have made a difference? lol..ok.

Bradshaw and Ivisik can both run the floor...Onyenso can't but is an elite shot blocker. The idea that they wouldn't have made any difference tonight is laughable...especially considering the awful night Wagner had.

Hunter went off because Kentucky had a small lineup. Gave him the height advantage but them the speed advantage. I’m gonna guess he has a lot of games like that in those situations.

Harris isn’t gonna but 5-5 every night, but if he has shots that wide open he is gonna hit 3 or 4 of them most nights. Every shot was wide open.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
You aren't sure having our three seven footers would have made a difference? lol..ok.

Bradshaw and Ivisik can both run the floor...Onyenso can't but is an elite shot blocker. The idea that they wouldn't have made any difference tonight is laughable...especially considering the awful night Wagner had.
Yeah count me as not a Wagner fan until he shows me something.

KU doesn’t look like a good shooting team.

UK has some guys that really want it. Playing hard.

KU is going to be in almost every game because they’ll score efficiently inside, rebound well, and will defend well. They must cut down on the live ball turnovers as that played a huge part along with the 3pt shooting in UK getting the double digit lead. The 3pt shooting from KU will determine whether it’s a close game or KU wins going away against most teams they’ll play.

I think Reeves and Mitchell lost their legs. You could tell the game plan was for Tre to just bang and fight HD for positioning and Reeves to really crash the boards. That’s not something they will be asked to do when we get the size back.

DJ and Edwards were atrocious. DJ just couldn’t hit anything. Edwards looked like he didn’t know how to play basketball.

All in all the loss stings, but I’m happy with the product. If Bradshaw is as advertised and big Z gets healthy the Cats will be a final four good.

Reeves just lost the game with those bricks.

Nice that Dickenhead had nobody to guard him tonight. Kansas with a box of Lucky Charms shoved up their asses.
We get it. You were missing your bigs. It’s only been mentioned in…..every post?

KU lost their most talented player a month ago and none of us have used it as an excuse.

Sorry man, I don’t know that much about your team I guess.

Weird then, cause the others were playing like vets. I thought for sure Reeves was a freshman taking those shots.
I think he was just trying to do too much, partially because Wagner and Edwards apparently weren't aware there was a game tonight. They got away from feeding Dillingham and Sheppard though, and they were on fire in the first half.

I’m saying that when you made your big run, it was because the small lineup was giving us fits. We had the size advantage, but you had the clear speed advantage and for a while KU didn’t have an answer for that.

UK has had a lot of really tall teams over the last several years, and weren’t great teams. They were hard to score against, but the offense was poor and the transition offense left a lot to be desired at times. I actually liked your small lineup a lot. Tons of transition points and good shooters. I think KU is built better to handle a taller but slower Kentucky team. I think small ball, if you can channel the way you played the last 7 mins of the first half and first 8 mins of the 2nd, and learn to play close to that level more consistently, is your best tourney lineup.

With a bigger lineup you probably start better and play more consistently, but you also likely don’t go on that big run nor would you be as explosive. But those guys will allow you to go big or go small and fast, depending on the team you play.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
I think he was just trying to do too much, partially because Wagner and Edwards apparently weren't aware there was a game tonight. They got away from feeding Dillingham and Sheppard though, and they were on fire in the first half.
Dillingham in the first half was feeling it. He hit some tough shots. Though I do think his foot was on the line for one and they missed it ;)

He’s gonna be real good if he can play like that more consistently.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Congrats on the win Kansas fans. Hate that we blew a big lead and I feel like we gave the game away (dumb shots at the end) but it’s hard to be to mad after seeing how well we played (for the most part) with no center. Took a 20 20 game from Dickinson, an almost triple double from McCullar and a perfect shooting night from Harris, a guy that doesn’t shoot that much to beat us. Good luck the rest of the way and hopefully we see y’all again in March with a full roster.

Dillingham in the first half was feeling it. He hit some tough shots. Though I do think his foot was on the line for one and they missed it ;)

He’s gonna be real good if he can play like that more consistently.
I thought that initially too, but on the replay it looked like he was behind it. Very close though.

Kentucky had the athleticism, can shoot and drive inside, if they improve their defense they’ll be a top 5 team by the end of the season

The contrary is UK isn’t going to shoot that well from 3. McCullar will shoot it better. And our new guys elmarko, Furphy, and Timby aren’t going to play that bad.

UK is much better than I thought and we still won. We will get better and improve. That’s a great win against a good team.

UK will get better. They look like a 1-3 seed

He's finally playing the line-up he should've been playing all half, for the most part, other than Burks over Thiero.
Cal is the only coach I know of, that will consistently bench the hottest player on the floor.
Wagner and especially Edwards, are BJ Boston bad, but he makes sure they get their minutes. Edwards, the possible #1 pick, had 1 point and is as soft as charmine.
Had the game won in spite of all that, until freshmen mistakes took over, but this team is good. Doesn't matter, we aren't duke, so we're going to drop in the rankings.

Last edited:
Him sitting Dilly through this run is coaching malpractice. Only chance we have is to play uptempo and we slowed it down.
He does it every time. He can’t help himself.
Last year, he needed a 3, he sat Reeves and had Wheeler take the shot.
The guy coaches by his gut the whole game. I wish he would just use common sense instead.

That was a fun game that caused way too many nerves. I almost don’t want to do the avatar bet because it was a good game.

I do want to know what avatar was planned for me though .
Eh, I didn't have one planned, but it would have had something to do with Bradley nd Bucknell I'm sure.

The contrary is UK isn’t going to shoot that well from 3. McCullar will shoot it better. And our new guys elmarko, Furphy, and Timby aren’t going to play that bad.

UK is much better than I thought and we still won. We will get better and improve. That’s a great win against a good team.

UK will get better. They look like a 1-3 seed
Actually, UK's 3pt shooting percentage should have been better, took 38 of them and hit only 12 or 13.
Not only that, but Edwards finished with 1 point and Wagner… .yeah, not good. That’s 2 lottery picks and one is a projected 1-3 pick.
The lights were a little too bright for our young guys, but by March, they'll be ready and much better.
Kansas will also be much better, no doubt about it.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Kansas better hope Timberlake has some use.. otherwise what a waste in grabbing H. Dickinson.

ADVERTISEMENT