ADVERTISEMENT

***Champions Classic Thread***

2018 was a decent class for Self and then the FBI probe took a major toll. From '19 to '23, he brought in 15 4 stars, three 5s, and two 3s. In the same span, Izzo had 11 4s, two 5s, one 3. And of Self's three 5 stars, only Dick wasn't worthless. Thompson was terrible and transferred after a year, and MJ Rice couldn't even get on the court (partly due to injury).

He did land a few solid transfers though.
Izzo has said he is not going to do the transfer thing. He has landed two in this new era of the portal, Walker, a great transfer, and Joey Hauser, who had his moments.

I assume the Spartan two five stars are Max Christie, who didn't do squat, and Booker from the '23 class, who is a work in progress.

The 5 Instate Michigan guys from 2018 set the program back, in my opinion. I also think it might have something to do with assistant coach Dane Fife leaving, which is not based on any fact.

Last edited:
Izzo has said he is not going to do the transfer thing. He landed two, Walker real good and Joey Hauser, who had his moments. I assume the Spartan two five stars are Max Christie, who didn't so squat, and Booker from the '23 class, who is a work in progress.

The 5 Instate Michigan guys from 2018 set the program back, in my opinion. I also think it might have something to do with assistant coach Dane Fife leaving, which is not based on any fact.
I can't believe Booker didn’t even get 5 minutes of run against duke. I mean, how bad could he be?

Reactions: KisteK
Random stat that I've been keeping track of over the years...

Champions Classic All-Time Leading Scorers
1. Ochai Agbaji, Kansas- 61
2. Frank Mason, Kansas- 57
3. Grayson Allen, Duke- 55
4. Keith Appling, Michigan State- 54
5. Perry Ellis, Kansas- 53
6. Amile Jefferson, Duke- 51
6. Malik Hall, Michigan State- 51
8. Jalen Wilson, Kansas- 48
9. Denzel Valentine, Michigan State- 47
9. Branden Dawson, Michigan State- 47
11. Cassius Winston, Michigan State- 46
12. Udoka Azubuike, Kansas- 44
13. Seth Curry, Duke- 43
14. Joey Hauser, Michigan State- 42
15. Alex Poythress, Kentucky- 40
Pretty sad that the first UK guy doesn't crack the list until #15, and it's Alex freakin' Poythress. 🤣 Just shows how many UK guys only play in it once (twice max) for the vast majority. I'm sure you can count on 1 hand how many have played in it 3 or 4 years, and I can almost guarantee none of them were multi-year starters.

We are completely ass in the Champions Classic. If you don't give a **** about winning these big games early in the season Cal, then why even schedule them? All we hear is the bullshit excuse that we're young. You built the ****ing roster that way intentionally, that isn't a valid excuse to losing these games.

The fact you need three polaroids for just one member speaks volumes.

My "wife's friend" was disappointed with the picture of just the middle.
giphy.gif

Reeves being a bitch was the turning point. I like that Dajuan wasn’t taking any of his shit. Reeves knew better than to try anything because KJ would have torn his head off and rammed it up his ass.

Izzo protected all the freshmen in the early season matchup against a national power.
Booker is overrated. Worked few of his games in HS. Not once was he the best player on the floor. Ooooozing with potential, though

Pretty sad that the first UK guy doesn't crack the list until #15, and it's Alex freakin' Poythress. 🤣 Just shows how many UK guys only play in it once (twice max) for the vast majority. I'm sure you can count on 1 hand how many have played in it 3 or 4 years, and I can almost guarantee none of them were multi-year starters.

Very sad, actually. I want to say the 5 UK guys that have played at least 3 times in the Champions Classic are Alex Poythress, Derek Willis, Dominique Hawkins, Jacob Toppin, and Lance Ware. Not good.

Very sad, actually. I want to say the 5 UK guys that have played at least 3 times in the Champions Classic are Alex Poythress, Derek Willis, Dominique Hawkins, Jacob Toppin, and Lance Ware. Not good.

Does it impact your enjoyment of college basketball when the guys you watch for your program are only there 1 maybe 2 years? I mean I know winning makes it easier. But have to believe there has to be some sadness not seeing those guys who spend 3-4 years in the program and watching them grow as players. That’s one of the areas I’m really going to miss about college basketball because of the transfer portal. Not just guys at KU. Seeing guys at other schools as well as they improve over 3-4 years.

Indeed. And Willis and Hawkins would’ve never played for UK if they weren’t homegrown. That’s not saying they didn’t contribute though. They were solid as upperclassmen. Poythress likely would’ve been gone sooner if not for injury woes too. Ware barely sees the court for Nova this year, and they just lost to Penn. 🤣

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Does it impact your enjoyment of college basketball when the guys you watch for your program are only there 1 maybe 2 years? I mean I know winning makes it easier. But have to believe there has to be some sadness not seeing those guys who spend 3-4 years in the program and watching them grow as players. That’s one of the areas I’m really going to miss about college basketball because of the transfer portal. Not just guys at KU. Seeing guys at other schools as well as they improve over 3-4 years.

The same people who complain about the OAD culture would lose their minds if they started signing players like Dajuan Harris or KJ Adams.

NIL and free agency have flipped shit upside down. It’s the wild west out there. Many more rosters will be nearly completely flipped every year now because of it. Take the good with the bad, I guess. I just hate seeing players bounce to the pros when they obviously aren’t ready or transfer just because they are scared of a little competition now that they can just go wherever they want and not have to sit a year.

Reactions: cdbearde
NIL and free agency have flipped shit upside down. It’s the wild west out there. Many more rosters will be nearly completely flipped every year now because of it. Take the good with the bad, I guess. I just hate seeing players bounce to the pros when they obviously aren’t ready or transfer just because they are scared of a little competition now that they can just go wherever they want and not have to sit a year.
I'm hoping Sheppard stays another year and gets a key to the state. Very few (if any?) reach that level of adoration.

Booker is overrated. Worked few of his games in HS. Not once was he the best player on the floor. Ooooozing with potential, though
Not sure why he was rated a 5 star. Guess it was based on potential that he displayed playing AAU ball. Nobody has ever said that he was coming in as a day one starter. The good thing is he’ll be around for a while. Not a fan of the one-and-done.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Not sure why he was rated a 5 star. Guess it was based on potential that he displayed playing AAU ball. Nobody has ever said that he was coming in as a day one starter. The good thing is he’ll be around for a while. Not a fan of the one-and-done.
He would be a really good 3-4 year guy---I doubt he stays that long though. Great kid, btw

Reactions: Sparty_57
Throw him the bag to stay 4 years. Give him the keys to the governor’s mansion. Just as long as he doesn’t pull a Richie Farmer. 😬🤣

I have no doubt he could make around a million a year if he is willing to do it. Apparently a lot of the players will sign deals and then not do the leg work(signing autographs, meet and greets, etc...).

ADVERTISEMENT