ADVERTISEMENT

CERTAIN cheating programs get punished while others don’t.

Yet Another UK Fan

Aug 4, 2022
God’s Country
Team
Kentucky
How do they choose who gets away with it and who doesn’t?

giphy.gif

How many times does it have to be explained to you that an independent panel ruled on the case?

Vacating a bunch of wins for a player who barely contributed and was ruled eligible by the NCAA kind of seems like a punishment to me.

How many times does it have to be explained to you that an independent panel ruled on the case?

Vacating a bunch of wins for a player who barely contributed and was ruled eligible by the NCAA kind of seems like a punishment to me.
Regardless, would you say other programs get away with stuff and if yes who?

It’s simple. If your illegal activities make a governing power money then you’re find, you don’t you get them hammer. Look at the government for Christ sakes. The only illegal things in the country are only illegal because the government doesn’t make $ from it. You can’t murder unless it’s a profitable war. You can’t steal unless you call it taxes. And if you’re a profitable blue blood you’re the victim. If you’re joklahoma state the you’re the victimizer.

Pretty simple

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Regardless, would you say other programs get away with stuff and if yes who?
Like UK? Nah, I’m sure that Calipari just hauled in the #1 class every year while being clean as a whistle. They all were good boys who fell in love with Calipari’s personality and didn’t want money or anything like that. Why get paid elsewhere when you could live high on life every day on the drug-like euphoria that it is to play at Kentucky.

Like UK? Nah, I’m sure that Calipari just hauled in the #1 class every year while being clean as a whistle. They all were good boys who fell in love with Calipari’s personality and didn’t want money or anything like that. Why get paid elsewhere when you could live high on life every day on the drug-like euphoria that it is to play at Kentucky.
I never took you to be so in tune with reality. I stand corrected my man! Welcome to the BBN.

I never took you to be so in tune with reality. I stand corrected my man! Welcome to the BBN.
Meh, I’m a realist. I’ve been talking about it for years. I had a friend who went through the recruiting process years ago. Any fanbase who thinks their program is clean is deluded. There were always the programs who cheated and the ones who didn’t get caught. And my friend wasn’t a top recruit either. Pretty middling. It always made me wonder what was being offered to the top recruits.

When a Michigan booster gave Chris Webber money, Michigan got a 2 year post season ban from the NCAA. When Harbaugh bought a recruit a hamburger, he got suspended 3 games.

• Haha
Reactions: ThePhog08
200w.gif

Meh, I’m a realist. I’ve been talking about it for years. I had a friend who went through the recruiting process years ago. Any fanbase who thinks their program is clean is deluded. There were always the programs who cheated and the ones who didn’t get caught. And my friend wasn’t a top recruit either. Pretty middling. It always made me wonder what was being offered to the top recruits.
I'd like to hear what goes on inside the ropes of recruiting.

I'm sure everyone that recruits ends up at least bending the rules to a degree, but there for a long time, the rules were ridiculous. You couldn't even buy a kid lunch. I mean, c'mon.

If you're the NCAA, where do you draw the line? There has to be a line. Their line is crooked as hell and they do/did play favorites.

When a Michigan booster gave Chris Webber money, Michigan got a 2 year post season ban from the NCAA. When Harbaugh bought a recruit a hamburger, he got suspended 3 games.
UK damn near got the death penalty for $1,000.00 back in '88. The penalty still ended up being very steep and people still talk about "Kentucky Shame". It was definitely wrong, but that was a steep penalty for $1,000.00.

Self walks on five majors, Cal still coaching with his history.

Indiana still reeling years later from seven self reported phone calls.

NCAA 101

"The NCAA is so mad at Ky, Cleveland State will get another year of probation"

Tark

• Haha
Reactions: ThePhog08
UK damn near got the death penalty for $1,000.00 back in '88. The penalty still ended up being very steep and people still talk about "Kentucky Shame". It was definitely wrong, but that was a steep penalty for $1,000.00.
$2,500 in context

But more disgusting in my view was the Academic Fraud. When a university hardly known for it's academic prowess, needs to lower the bar even further for a few Ws..gutter

$2,500 in context

But more disgusting in my view was the Academic Fraud. When a university hardly known for it's academic prowess, needs to lower the bar even further for a few Ws..gutter
You talking about uNC?

NCAA 101

Tark
I'm no Calipari fan, in fact, the guy pisses me off, but what happened at UMass and Memphis had nothing to do with Cal.
Camby took money from an agent and Rose had his brother take his SAT.
It’s not like Cal paid those two.

I'm no Calipari fan, in fact, the guy pisses me off, but what happened at UMass and Memphis had nothing to do with Cal.
Camby took money from an agent and Rose had his brother take his SAT.
It’s not like Cal paid those two.
Nothing to see here...move along

lol Fanbois crack me up.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
I'd like to hear what goes on inside the ropes of recruiting.

I'm sure everyone that recruits ends up at least bending the rules to a degree, but there for a long time, the rules were ridiculous. You couldn't even buy a kid lunch. I mean, c'mon.

If you're the NCAA, where do you draw the line? There has to be a line. Their line is crooked as hell and they do/did play favorites.
Oh he told me all kinds of stories from drugs to strippers to money. I’m sure every kid has a different experience and not all schools do it the same. Most of it is third party stuff and coaches take a “don’t ask don’t tell approach”. I've never heard of a coach directly approaching boosters and telling them to stay away from recruits, and they all know it happens. Do some coaches play a more direct role in it? Probably. I have no info on that.

Yes the rules were ridiculous. But they kind of helped schools in a way. If you could feed the NCAA crumbs and admit to the small things it could keep them off your back for the big things. That $1,000 handshake don’t matter much when you’ve reported that a booster bought a kid a meal. It gives the illusion of being transparent.

That being said, now it’s all legal, so even though we might say “KU got off easy” it’s also kind of difficult for the NCAA because with any penalty they give they’re basically penalizing them for what is legal now. Kind of like going back in time and busting somebody for weed because they got caught with it the day before it was legalized in their state.

I for one have always known how dirty the game is. So none of it surprises me. I just get irked when people act like their school is clean when I know better. Like Zion Williamson for example. KU is literally on tape saying they can’t afford him. So we know he was marketing for money and making schools bid for him. Yet he ends up at DUKE, and Duke fans think they didn’t give him a payday and that they’re clean? That’s naive as hell. Nah, he didn’t suddenly just decide that he didn't like money and that playing for Coach K was a dream come true better than taking money...if that was the case he wouldn't have bolted for the NBA after a year. He would have stayed to play for his favorite coach who he loves so much that he forgets about money. No, he ended up at Duke because NIKE offered more(and in particular offered him more on the stipulation that he play at DUKE or somewhere that he'll get them a lot of exposure). And Duke didn't get in trouble, because NIKE is better at doing their taxes and not doing stupid shit. They've got smarter people working for them.

But I do agree that with the rules in hand, some schools do get off easier than others. If KU had been a lesser school, they likely would have been punished more severely. It's the same reason why Duke could just say "we investigated ourselves and we're clean!" and the NCAA was all like "ok buddy, we'll take your word for it". I think it helps though that KU threw more resources into fighting this.

As for where the line needs to be drawn now...IDK. I don't know if you CAN draw a line. 90% of the inappropriate stuff has been at the hands of shoe companies. And with NIL there's nothing to stop them from telling a recruit "we'll endorse you if you go to a NIKE school...or ADIDAS", and there's nothing to prevent them from hinting to the kid that he'll get more money if he goes to a top tier school where every game will be on national television with more exposure. That by itself will continue to direct recruits to certain schools.

Last edited:
Oh he told me all kinds of stories from drugs to strippers to money. I’m sure every kid has a different experience and not all schools do it the same. Most of it is third party stuff and coaches take a “don’t ask don’t tell approach”. I've never heard of a coach directly approaching boosters and telling them to stay away from recruits, and they all know it happens. Do some coaches play a more direct role in it? Probably. I have no info on that.

Exactly. Don't ask, don't tell. I think the instances of Sean Millers dropping bags are/were rare.

It's very possible that Self told the truth about having no knowledge of payments. There was sworn testimony by Adidas reps to back that up. Most coaches were innocent and guilty simultaneously. They knew and expected things to happen, but generally weren't directly involved.

• Haha
Reactions: MGO2022
Exactly. Don't ask, don't tell. I think the instances of Sean Millers dropping bags are/were rare.

It's very possible that Self told the truth about having no knowledge of payments. There was sworn testimony by Adidas reps to back that up. Most coaches were innocent and guilty simultaneously. They knew and expected things to happen, but generally weren't directly involved.
Don't ask don't tell doesn't mean they don't know. It means they know but don't interact directly because it is what it is and because ultimately it helps them out.

I grew up witnessing - first hand - Kansas STATE paying their players. It happens everywhere.

NCAA 101

Tark
How is Indiana reeling from self reported phone calls? Fill me in, as I'm not privy to the details.

How is Indiana reeling from self reported phone calls? Fill me in, as I'm not privy to the details.
PUke fans more than anyone else are well versed and focused on IU’s struggles post Sampscum. It is the primary source of your self esteem

PUke fans more than anyone else are well versed and focused on IU’s struggles post Sampscum. It is the primary source of your self esteem
WOW, you went to being full on dick in .2 seconds for a rival simply asking a question.

I find it odd still that you're blaming the self reported phone calls on the string of bad hires more so than on the fact that the IU higher ups didn't want to have a coach that could hold the university hostage again the way Knight did.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
WOW, you went to being full on dick in .2 seconds for a rival simply asking a question.

I find it odd still that you're blaming the self reported phone calls on the string of bad hires more so than on the fact that the IU higher ups didn't want to have a coach that could hold the university hostage again the way Knight did.
Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
If people think "Player A" turns down six-figures from "School A", to play for free at "SChool B", please send me your SS# and DL#---I can get us, errrr, I mean, YOU, a good loan.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KisteK and MGO2022
Indiana is reeling because of a series of bad hires. They are on the up and up now finally.
This. TBH, Crean did one hell of a job rebuilding---just couldn't sustain it. Miller was an awful hire---which surprised me, TBH.

To insinuate IU is still feeling the reprussions of KS is not accurate

“What these men said is as close to a lie as Allen Fieldhouse is to the Kansas River.”

Writer calls BS on Jayhawks -

I don't think most KU fans deny that the staff was probably aware of some payments. Townsend, at least. We just laugh at the hypocrisy of fans of teams with NBA salaries.

For several years I was involved with recruiting for UK's Joe B. Hall, I was living in Florida and he would call me, I would take vacation, pick him up at the airport and take him to where ever he wanted to go.

He did it by the book even though Bob Knight lied about the recruitment of Kenny Walker. I was given explicit instruction on what I could and could not do.

Every single school has cheated. The ncaa admitted they cheated pro athletes by allowing them to be paid now.

• Haha
Reactions: MGO2022
ADVERTISEMENT