ADVERTISEMENT

Can we get an apology from everyone who doubted the Big Ten?

Moving the goal post, oh triggered one. Iowa is above average because the Big 10 is so freaking tough.

UK would have half the resume in the Big 10.
UK doesn't usually play SEC teams in the NCAA tourney. Shows you don't much about basketball. Iowa sucks in the Big 10 and when they play Kentucky. That is what is important.

Ok, Big 10...I apologize. You’re no longer a one horse conference. A few other programs are now capable of the occasional elite 8 appearance.
Does Kansas actually play in a conference. The Big 12 is the Big one and 9 playmates.

We are talking the Big 10 being 1000 times better than the SEC.

The only conference that has a case is the ACC. So take a seat

UK has thrived off playing shitty teams. No way you guys have those stats in the Big 10. It's too tough.

UK: 113 Wins, 67 losses vs all teams currently in the Big 10.

vs. Illinois 11-4
vs. Indiana 32-25
vs. Iowa 5-3
vs. Michigan 5-2
vs. Michigan St. 13-11
vs. Minnesota 4-1
vs. Maryland 9-5
vs. Ohio St. 11-9
vs. Penn St. 3-1
vs. Purdue 6-2
vs. Rutgers 1-0
vs. Nebraska 2-1
vs. Northwestern 7-1
vs Wisconsin 4-2

....but don't let facts get in the way of your cool story, bro.

Reactions: kl40504

vs. Illinois 11-4
vs. Indiana 32-25
vs. Iowa 5-3
vs. Michigan 5-2
vs. Michigan St. 13-11
vs. Minnesota 4-1
vs. Maryland 9-5
vs. Ohio St. 11-9
vs. Penn St. 3-1
vs. Purdue 6-2
vs. Rutgers 1-0
vs. Nebraska 2-1
vs. Northwestern 7-1
vs Wisconsin 4-2

So what? When we're all those games played?

.....how would that make a difference? That's the current W/L record against the 'mighty' Big 10 where UK simply could not compete, using your logic.

Could have been playing some of the teams when they were down. Stats can be skewed however ones needs them to be.

Could have been playing some of the teams when they were down. Stats can be skewed however ones needs them to be.
As a rule UK played those games when those Big Ten teams were up, as in the NCAA. The only extended series with a Big Ten team was Indiana.

Additionally, the ACC in my college days were not a tough league. I lived in North Carolina two summers in the mid 1960's and you could never find anyone to discuss basketball.

As a rule UK played those games when those Big Ten teams were up, as in the NCAA. The only extended series with a Big Ten team was Indiana.

Additionally, the ACC in my college days were not a tough league. I lived in North Carolina two summers in the mid 1960's and you could never find anyone to discuss basketball.

I know 3 of our games were in the NCAA. The only time neither one of us was ranked was in 1973.

Looks like we beat you guys in 56 on our way 2 a FF.

62 and 64 we lost at UK.

72 we won at UK.

73 lost at home.

97 and 01 lost in the tourney.

05 we won in the Guardians classic.

Question, what is the UKIT?

I know 3 of our games were in the NCAA. The only time neither one of us was ranked was in 1973.

Looks like we beat you guys in 56 on our way 2 a FF.

62 and 64 we lost at UK.

72 we won at UK.

73 lost at home.

97 and 01 lost in the tourney.

05 we won in the Guardians classic.

Question, what is the UKIT?[/QUOTE]

The University of Kentucky Invitational Tournament.

It was the first and for years the best.

UCLA used to come a lot because they needed money.

@Bert Higginbotha

I miss those. Iowa use to have the Amana Hawkeye Classic. It was a 4 team tourney played at home on a Friday then Sat night.

I wonder why those went by the side of the road? Generally you would get a cupcake and then a good opponent.

Reminds me of the 80s and growing up watching basketball.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I miss those. Iowa use to have the Amana Hawkeye Classic. It was a 4 team tourney played at home on a Friday then Sat night.

I wonder why those went by the side of the road? Generally you would get a cupcake and then a good opponent.

Reminds me of the 80s and growing up watching basketball.

They started tournaments like the Maui and Alaskan tourneys so they could "pass financial benefits" to areas that basically ignore basketball. Now we have empty arenas or ball rooms for basketball attended by people that don't know their ass from first base about basketball.

The midwest loves basketball. Now the NCAA and ESPN want it to be "international". The midwest pays the price.

Reactions: hawkit3113
They started tournaments like the Maui and Alaskan tourneys so they could "pass financial benefits" to areas that basically ignore basketball. Now we have empty arenas or ball rooms for basketball attended by people that don't know their ass from first base about basketball.

The midwest loves basketball. Now the NCAA and ESPN want it to be "international". The midwest pays the price.

Great points. And the good tourneys price alot of people out. The Maui tickets back in 05 where insane when I looked into going. It was because there were hardly any tickets because they are playing in a middle school gym.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I just looked up that UKIT and man, you guys got some big time teams to play. West Virginia looked to have played quite a bit. Duke, IL, Ohio St, Minnesota, UNC, .....you name it. That must have been one hell of a tourney

I just looked up that UKIT and man, you guys got some big time teams to play. West Virginia looked to have played quite a bit. Duke, IL, Ohio St, Minnesota, UNC, .....you name it. That must have been one hell of a tourney
It was.

Joe B. Hall was my friend. Geeze you should have heard some of his stories.

Reactions: hawkit3113
@Bert Higginbotha

My grandfather was a coach at the Catholic school and loved basketball. When my grandfather passed we were going through his stuff and found a program from the Mideast regional he attended in 1966 which was played at the Fieldhouse in Iowa City. The program featured UK, Dayton, Michigan, and Western Kentucky.

I still have it. It's pretty cool.

Most young people have never seen IU win anything. They are currently just a blimp on the horizon.
I can understand that; however, for most of my life Indiana was one of the teams that few could beat.

Robert Montgomery Knight is one of the best coaches of all time. I remember that Bob Knight could get 8 half-asses players that bought into his system and he could beat anyone you could put on the floor.

I have met Bob Knight, I have discussed history with him and I totally respect him as having a great mind. At Indiana he was great. People feared Indiana.

Indiana has 5 titles. Who has more? (Hint: UNC, UK and UCLA). Indiana is blue blood.

Prove me wrong.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
@Bert Higginbotha

My grandfather was a coach at the Catholic school and loved basketball. When my grandfather passed we were going through his stuff and found a program from the Mideast regional he attended in 1966 which was played at the Fieldhouse in Iowa City. The program featured UK, Dayton, Michigan, and Western Kentucky.

I still have it. It's pretty cool.
I agree. In 1966 I was at Western Kentucky.

Michigan screwed Western Kentucky out of a game. Then UK beat Michigan. But in retrospect it was a horrible deal. Then UK beat Duke and lost to Texas Western.

Now 52 years later Duke is the greatest thing to ever happen to black people and UK is racist. (No one ever mentions that Utah and Duke were lily white, just Kentucky.)

My friend Joe B. Hall was the assistant coach at Kentucky.

I think that is a bunk issue as well.

MSU has the KP #4 offense in the country, ahead of Duke, UNC, UK, etc. MSU is also near the top in assists per game, rebounds per game, blocked shots per game, 3pt FG%, etc.

Purdue is also a highly potent offense. Wisconsin and Michigan are great defensive teams, with good to decent offenses.

I think Adjusted Tempo is about the only stat you can knock most of the B1G teams for
So... I'm just now finding this thread (??!!)
I will say, I've watched plenty of B1g basketball over the past 5 years, and this year has been the best by far.

Whether b1g fans want to agree or not, it hadn't been the prettiest product (before this season) for a spell. Glad the conference got to give (us) some really entertaining games this season.

So... I'm just now finding this thread (??!!)
I will say, I've watched plenty of B1g basketball over the past 5 years, and this year has been the best by far.

Whether b1g fans want to agree or not, it hadn't been the prettiest product (before this season) for a spell. Glad the conference got to give (us) some really entertaining games this season.

It’s not just the B1G that has been good. SEC, ACC, and B12 have all had some great games. This years NCAAT is the best I can remember in years ( nit because of UVA - but that doesn’t hurt ). Some really great OT games. It also might be because I’ve had time to watch more hoops this year.

Reactions: KisteK

vs. Illinois 11-4
vs. Indiana 32-25
vs. Iowa 5-3
vs. Michigan 5-2
vs. Michigan St. 13-11
vs. Minnesota 4-1
vs. Maryland 9-5
vs. Ohio St. 11-9
vs. Penn St. 3-1
vs. Purdue 6-2
vs. Rutgers 1-0
vs. Nebraska 2-1
vs. Northwestern 7-1
vs Wisconsin 4-2

I'm still going to read the rest of this thread, but you just laid a big limp UK penis in this thread. It is so gloriously long.

I'm still going to read the rest of this thread, but you just laid a big limp UK penis in this thread. It is so gloriously long.

Lol. Not really, but the records do look good. If anyonr beat Iowa from 06 to 2012, it's not impressive because we were horseshit. My guess is that might be the case in this circumstance. But overall my guess is you guys have done well against the BIG. Naturally though you guys have had success against most programs.

ADVERTISEMENT