ADVERTISEMENT

Can Anyone Decode This? TIA.

Simple question: did you pass on fouls THREE times because it benefitted the defense?
I passed on contact that had zero impact on the play. Its no different than passing on a possible charge/block call. Let me ask you this---If you have a kid who beats a kid off the dribble, goes up, releases the shot, with is momentum carrying him forward----causing contact with a SET , secondary defender, and nothing is called---How mad are you? I'd say not to mad. Now, what if you're on the other bench? Yeah----your gonna want an explanation. My explanation? THe contact, though possibly a foul, had sero impact. Therefore, I let it go.

Same thing here, COACH. The defender was beaten---the contact had no impact, i.e. didn't cause a change of direction, slow him down, impeded his path to the goal.---It was a simple case of a kid being unable to defend. Was there a "hold", "hands", that I could have called? Yes. And had that contact impeded the offensive player from getting to his spot, to the goal, etc, etc...I certainly would have called it. BUT IT DIDN'T. It has nothing to do with cheating...picking and choosing, etc, etc...It has everything to do with common sense. Maintaining a flow to the game. Keeping a flow. And not calling every little touch and grab. Especially when such action has ZERO impact on said play.

I passed on contact that had zero impact on the play. Its no different than passing on a possible charge/block call. Let me ask you this---If you have a kid who beats a kid off the dribble, goes up, releases the shot, with is momentum carrying him forward----causing contact with a SET , secondary defender, and nothing is called---How mad are you? I'd say not to mad. Now, what if you're on the other bench? Yeah----your gonna want an explanation. My explanation? THe contact, though possibly a foul, had sero impact. Therefore, I let it go.

Same thing here, COACH. The defender was beaten---the contact had no impact, i.e. didn't cause a change of direction, slow him down, impeded his path to the goal.---It was a simple case of a kid being unable to defend. Was there a "hold", "hands", that I could have called? Yes. And had that contact impeded the offensive player from getting to his spot, to the goal, etc, etc...I certainly would have called it. BUT IT DIDN'T. It has nothing to do with cheating...picking and choosing, etc, etc...It has everything to do with common sense. Maintaining a flow to the game. Keeping a flow. And not calling every little touch and grab. Especially when such action has ZERO impact on said play.

Fair enough. But that’s not exactly how you framed it earlier. lol. But to my other point, I’ve told kids on a scouting report that if this kid beats you, foul him. He’s a terrible free throw shooter. Doesn’t mean you tackle him.

Fair enough. But that’s not exactly how you framed it earlier. lol
Sure it is. Maybe ask me what I meant---instead of jumping to a conclusion, and telling me what I said is what is wrong with officiating. I would've happily explained it to you.
Look, I make tons of mistakes. I've been fortunate to work with some of the best HS officials in Indiana. Took me under their wings. Taught me a ton of shit. So everyting that I pass along isn't something I invented. It's something I was taught. I am very thankful for those guys. Without them taking the time they did to help me, there's no chance I would've ever worked CBB.

Sure it is. Maybe ask me what I meant---instead of jumping to a conclusion, and telling me what I said is what is wrong with officiating. I would've happily explained it to you.
Look, I make tons of mistakes. I've been fortunate to work with some of the best HS officials in Indiana. Took me under their wings. Taught me a ton of shit. So everyting that I pass along isn't something I invented. It's something I was taught. I am very thankful for those guys. Without them taking the time they did to help me, there's no chance I would've ever worked CBB.

“I can agree with SOME of this. I had a HS game the other night. Three times coach yacks at me---"he's holding him". I said, yep---But coach, if I had called a foul, I would've cost you a lay-up. Point being---I let it go simply b/c the defender was beaten, and his kid had an easy path to the rim. BTW, all 3 times, kid scored---One leading to a 3 point play. IMO, calling a foul in that situation, is actually benefiting the defense. So, well, I let it go.”

Those are your words. Then you went on to give a scenario about a late whistle. So...

Also, you don’t say anything about minimal contact in that scenario that I took umbrage with.

Only in sports can we accept incompetency and think it's ok. For $3500 a game. By the way, it's not just UK fans that think officiating is bad, its a lot of the national media and former head of officials.
Just curious----What is your definition of incompetent? I mean NFL, MLB, NBA officials are right about 95% of the time. CBB officials slightly lower. I think last year my numbers were 94, 96 and 92. Im other words, I am getting 92/96 calls, out of 100, right. Now, over a span of about 80 games, that means I am missing roughly 100+ calls. Seems like a lot....And I guess it is. But thats less than 2 calls per game. Sometimes more(I 've had a chart of 9 before).

In other words, out of the 40 calls made in a game---roughly 35 of then are correct. I mean its not perfect. But its never gonna be. To me, being correct 9o percent or more, isn't the definition of being incompetent.

And yes, CBB officiating needs some tweaking. I was just respponding to the incompetent part.

“I can agree with SOME of this. I had a HS game the other night. Three times coach yacks at me---"he's holding him". I said, yep---But coach, if I had called a foul, I would've cost you a lay-up. Point being---I let it go simply b/c the defender was beaten, and his kid had an easy path to the rim. BTW, all 3 times, kid scored---One leading to a 3 point play. IMO, calling a foul in that situation, is actually benefiting the defense. So, well, I let it go.”

Those are your words. Then you went on to give a scenario about a late whistle. So...

Also, you don’t say anything about minimal contact in that scenario that I took umbrage with.
What does the bolded part tell you?

As for the late whistle---Dude, that was a totally different scenario. We were taling about rebounding. Contact involving such. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Just curious----What is your definition of incompetent? I mean NFL, MLB, NBA officials are right about 95% of the time. CBB officials slightly lower. I think last year my numbers were 94, 96 and 92. Im other words, I am getting 92/96 calls, out of 100, right. Now, over a span of about 80 games, that means I am missing roughly 100+ calls. Seems like a lot....And I guess it is. But thats less than 2 calls per game. Sometimes more(I 've had a chart of 9 before).

In other words, out of the 40 calls made in a game---roughly 35 of then are correct. I mean its not perfect. But its never gonna be. To me, being correct 9o percent or more, isn't the definition of being incompetent.

And yes, CBB officiating needs some tweaking. I was just respponding to the incompetent part.

So if 3 officials miss 5 calls each there are 15 blown calls. Is that acceptable?

It almost becomes impossible to guard anybody if you can’t touch them at all. You have to be realistic about it.

I agree, but I'm not talking about touching players. People seem to like it when they just let relevant impeding contact go just so they won't hold up the game. There are plenty of teams out there that foul a lot knowing they aren't going to call everything. IMO that needs to change. Call everything and make them play basketball.

Reactions: RipThru
What does the bolded part tell you?

As for the late whistle---Dude, that was a totally different scenario. We were taling about rebounding. Contact involving such. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

It Literally tells me you recognized a foul, didn’t call it because dude has a clear path. I wasnt there. All
I had to go on were your words

Don’t say things you don’t mean.
giphy.gif

Reactions: EVERHARTA
It Literally tells me you recognized a foul, didn’t call it because dude has a clear path. I wasnt there. All
I had to go on were your words
I recognized contact. Not all contact needs to be called. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but god damn, I didn't know I needed to describe such action, word for word---frame by frame. IF the contact had knocked the kid off his path, caused him to lose the ball, disrupted his ability in any way---I call it. No doubt. It didn't. He caught the ball, ripped through, jabbed step , got the kid off balance---No help side, and he was by the kid in a blink. Through the actions of his offensive move, the defender was out of position, created contact. A "hold" so to speak. But the defender was so badly beaten, with the contact not causing any restriction , I passed on it.

Is that better, Rip?

I agree, but I'm not talking about touching players. People seem to like it when they just let relevant impeding contact go just so they won't hold up the game. There are plenty of teams out there that foul a lot knowing they aren't going to call everything. IMO that needs to change. Call everything and make them play basketball.
I agree with that. I think ACC refs allow UVA to hedge way too hard.

So if 3 officials miss 5 calls each there are 15 blown calls. Is that acceptable?
No. But that is not what I said. I said , per example, if there are 40 calls, on a norm about 5 TOTAL, on an average, are missed. I never said 5 apiece.

Reactions: RipThru
I recognized contact. Not all contact needs to be called. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but god damn, I didn't know I needed to describe such action, word for word---frame by frame. IF the contact had knocked the kid off his path, caused him to lose the ball, disrupted his ability in any way---I call it. No doubt. It didn't. He caught the ball, ripped through, jabbed step , got the kid off balance---No help side, and he was by the kid in a blink. Through the actions of his offensive move, the defender was out of position, created contact. A "hold" so to speak. But the defender was so badly beaten, with the contact not causing any restriction , I passed on it.

Is that better, Rip?

Laughing

Yeah....then will hear, "Let them play. No one came here to watch the officials".Laughing

That's a cool story. Kentucky fans still complain about calls too much.
I complained last night when UK got a massive differential of calls against Mississippi State. Had Kentucky been at Mississippi State the totals would be totally different.

College basketball officiating is basically bad. There is no consistency amongst the officials and the home court advantage is huge.

FT disparity is a lazy and uneducated man's argument. It gets old seeing it from both sides of the aisle.

Very true. FFS, sports are one of the only situations where we have the data to make more compelling arguments and people still rely on simple and/or misleading stats when better ones are easily available. Related, I have little hope for the future of our nation.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT