152-37 overall .804 winning %
18-3 Tourney record. 1 title 3 final fours
1 NIT

K 2015-2019
149-38 .797 winning %
15-4 tourney record. 1 title 1 final four
No real black eyes. Worse season was probably 2017

Fairly even imo.

As a Uk fan feels like we should have finished the job one more time at least but also feels good to see how well our guy has held his own against the goat.

Duke fans your thoughts?

Reactions: kl40504
Im sure duke fans feel they should of finished the job this year........ their message boards and twitter........ you could tell they thought they had the title guaranteed and were even more upset when they lost than us UK fans in 2015 losing to Wisconsin.

Reactions: GE Nole and kl40504
Im sure duke fans feel they should of finished the job this year........ their message boards and twitter........ you could tell they thought they had the title guaranteed and were even more upset when they lost than us UK fans in 2015 losing to Wisconsin.
ehhhh wouldn't go that far. Not making the final four was disappointing. Watching the national championship game being played between 2 teams that Duke beat 3 times (2 times by double digits) was very disappointing.

I think only IU fans can relate to a loss like that.

Last edited:
I feel like they had as good of a chance as they have had in a few years. Definitely thought that they would be in the FF. But where are you seeing Duke fans that thought they had the title guaranteed? That is a lie and an embarrassing attempt to make yourself feel better after having a 38-0 season end with a 38-1 season. Each year we don't win is a disappointment, but this year's Duke team was not on the same level of disappointment as staring at a 40-0 perfect season only to not even play for the championship.

I might never get over that loss as a sports fan. 2 games from being the first undefeated team in 40 years? Probably won’t see that again at Kentucky in my lifetime tbh.
Only 3 teams have made it to 38 wins. Just one won the championship. Some say, losses in the conference tournament, helps.

Teams can still set the record for most wins in season and not win it all.

After Duke pulled down our bottoms and spanked us on national tv, I did believe the hype.

With each game comes added pressure.

Cal 2010-2014

152-37 overall .804 winning %
18-3 Tourney record. 1 title 3 final fours
1 NIT

K 2015-2019
149-38 .797 winning %
15-4 tourney record. 1 title 1 final four
No real black eyes. Worse season was probably 2017

Fairly even imo.

As a Uk fan feels like we should have finished the job one more time at least but also feels good to see how well our guy has held his own against the goat.

Duke fans your thoughts?

What’s crazy is K almost has the same record as Cal and K plays in the tougher conference. 2 different teams have won an NCAA title from the ACC between 2015-2019 other than Duke.

This year had a storybook type ending to it had Duke won the title. For anyone that thinks the NCAA just hand Duke titles had their little conspiracy theory bubble burst!

Reactions: pisgah101
Only 3 teams have made it to 38 wins. Just one won the championship. Some say, losses in the conference tournament, helps.

Teams can still set the record for most wins in season and not win it all.

After Duke pulled down our bottoms and spanked us on national tv, I did believe the hype.

With each game comes added pressure.

I posted this on rafters also but social media has really amplified the pressure of being the favorite imo. Ten years since the preseason favorite has won the ship and 6 since the favorite entering the tournament has won it. I know the former is a record In the modern era(64 team field) and I’m pretty sure the latter is too but I was born in 81 so I don’t remember much about the tournament in the mid and late 80’s.

What’s crazy is K almost has the same record as Cal and K plays in the tougher conference. 2 different teams have won an NCAA title from the ACC between 2015-2019 other than Duke.

This year had a storybook type ending to it had Duke won the title. For anyone that thinks the NCAA just hand Duke titles had their little conspiracy theory bubble burst!

I think the conference schedule is a good point. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little disappointed in some of our conference records during that time. We’ve taken some ugly L’s in sec play during his tenure and the youth excuse gets old from someone getting paid that much money. Roster management is part of it.

Overall though...I mean I’d hate to be around or talk basketball with the type of person that’s not happy with the overall results of either coach.

I posted this on rafters also but social media has really amplified the pressure of being the favorite imo. Ten years since the preseason favorite has won the ship and 6 since the favorite entering the tournament has won it. I know the former is a record In the modern era(64 team field) and I’m pretty sure the latter is too but I was born in 81 so I don’t remember much about the tournament in the mid and late 80’s.
Carolina wasn’t the favorite in ‘17? I remember thinking we were.

Not even close to the meltdown UofL against UK in the NCAA tournament.

Dude...I live in Louisville and that game broke a lot of UofL fans. My brother is a die hard and the text he sent me after the game was probably the worst post game salt fest I’ve ever seen. He was so pissed at Pitino he said he wouldn’t watch another game until he was gone.

UofL really had no business losing that game either. They finished the season #1 in Kenpom and the only team in top 10 in both efficiencies. It was also Pitino’s first loss in the s16. He was like 12-0 before that game. And I can admit...we got some calls down the stretch. Then a team they destroyed 3 times wins it all? About as rough an ending to a season that I can think of.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I thought we were capable of winning it all in 2018. But I picked Villanova in every bracket I filled-out, knowing it's hard to beat a team that has 2 All-Americans and has its top 4 scorers all shooting over 40% from 3.

I felt better about our chances this year. Thought we had a wider margin for error. But, also fully aware that we have weaknesses - teams will pack it inside and we'll settle for jumpers. I didn't expect turnovers & a lack of transition buckets to be the downfall of our regional final matchup with MSU. I picked UVA to beat Duke in the Finals, FWIW. So I was half-right on that.

2017, I had us losing to Gonzaga in the Final Four. 2016, I had us losing to Baylor in the Round of 32. In summary, I never picked Duke to win it all the last four years.

That is such complete and utter bullshit, invented to make you feel better.

We won a few games in the tournament by a bucket. Losing by a bucket with a team where our third best player never really showed up, our bench never really showed up... it sucked, because it was a very open year, but come on now, it was nothing like UK 2015. There might not be a loss in history by ANY team as bad as that one... and the fact that Duke then went on to win the title was just the final nail in the coffin.

Eh, I think the fact the media and ESPN made Duke out to be this unstoppable force plays into all this a bit. If you accept the good and the benefits that come along with being the golden child you have to take the bad as well. They were pretty large favorites at various points this year and definitely disappointed.

We won a few games in the tournament by a bucket. Losing by a bucket with a team where our third best player never really showed up, our bench never really showed up... it sucked, because it was a very open year, but come on now, it was nothing like UK 2015. There might not be a loss in history by ANY team as bad as that one... and the fact that Duke then went on to win the title was just the final nail in the coffin.

No that’s bull sh*t to make you feel better. Duke has the most talented team in history.... such revisionist history if you deny duke fans thought they had the title .... try reading twitter history...

Even our 2015 team barely survived Notre dame in the tournament that year .. that didn’t mean we didn’t expect a title with the team we had.

I agree with this.It's silly to think this Duke team could come close to being as good as the UK '15 team. At least the hype of the '15 team was warranted due to setting all time records. This Duke team had a guy who could jump really well. :D

Also, ask IU fans about the underlined part. You have to be good enough to have a tough loss like that one.

Last edited:
Eh, I think the fact the media and ESPN made Duke out to be this unstoppable force plays into all this a bit. If you accept the good and the benefits that come along with being the golden child you have to take the bad as well. They were pretty large favorites at various points this year and definitely disappointed.

Yeah, well, the sports media is a bit dumb at times, as we both know. We couldn’t shoot the three to save our lives this year. While at the very start of the season and on paper this Duke team looked unstoppable, as the year went on the lack of three point shooting, the regression of Jack White and lack of confidence in Alex OC, the terrible free throw shooting, and obviously the mess that was Cam Reddish made it clear that Duke was a really really good team, but one without a lot of margin for error. Definite among the favorites, and disappointing that we didn’t win, but any grander statement than that is a bit much.

No that’s bull sh*t to make you feel better. Duke has the most talented team in history.... such revisionist history if you deny duke fans thought they had the title .... try reading twitter history...

Even our 2015 team barely survived Notre dame in the tournament that year .. that didn’t mean we didn’t expect a title with the team we had.

Most talented team in history? Uhhh... what? Our top two guys, sure. But beyond that? Come on now, I can name several Duke teams that were more talented... you think this team could compare to Laettner/Hill/Hurley and Co? Or Boozer/JWill/Battier and Co? Hell, 2010 Duke had something like seven future NBA players on that roster... oh, AND Jon Scheyer, who is one of our best ever guards. And your 2015 team? They hadn’t lost a game at that point (we lost five this year at that point). Your seventh man was DEVIN BOOKER... ours was Javin DeLaurier. Your backup point guard was Tyler f’ing Ulis. Ours was Jordan Goldwire. Come on now.

I don’t care what random idiots on twitter say. Random people are idiots. Do you believe random idiots on twitter? Maybe that’s where you get your information.

Were we a favorite to win the title? Sure. Every year there are favorites. Do I wish that we won? Of course; it felt like a weak field this year, especially at the top. But I am not an idiot, and this Duke team had a LOT of weaknesses. Sucks, but what can you do... the way we struggled with UCF and VTech, nobody was shocked by that loss.

Lame ass post.

Who said Duke had the most talented team in history? Surely not anyone with two eyes and a brain that has watched. College basketball.

Vegas had Duke as a huge favorite to win the tournament. They’re pretty smart. Have to love all the understatement in this thread. Too funny. Duke choked it away, thankfully.

What I love is all of the people telling us how overrated and beatable Duke was just one month ago, now telling us how incredibly talented they were and how they should have never lost.

Reactions: Quavarius
What I love is all of the people telling us how overrated and beatable Duke was just one month ago, now telling us how incredibly talented they were and how they should have never lost.
Yep. I most definitely did. But I also realized everyone thought Duke would win. You wouldn’t listen. And maybe it wasn’t you, but there were plenty of ya. Breaks my heart, I tell ya.

It is just stupid to ignore logic to make a narrative work. How many times has Vegas got it right over the past decade? Since we're using them as the smart guys.

It is just stupid to ignore logic to make a narrative work. How many times has Vegas got it right over the past decade? Since we're using them as the smart guys.
It’s not about them getting it right. It shows everyone thought Duke was winning it all. Vegas plays to the public as much as to who the best team is, hell more so. Duke was the prohibitive favorite whether you all admit it or not. It wasn’t even close.

It’s not about them getting it right. It shows everyone thought Duke was winning it all. Vegas plays to the public as much as to who the best team is, hell more so. Duke was the prohibitive favorite whether you all admit it or not. It wasn’t even close.
“Vegas plays to the public”. Dumbest comment ever on any board.

Again. If you have the ability to use logic by looking at this Duke team and then looking back at teams that have been successful in the tournament over the past however many years, you would know that it doesn't matter if they were the favorites. I thought Duke had as good of a chance as anyone, I would not have bet on them to win it all though. The people saying that Duke was the biggest choke job in years are clearly uneducated on college basketball. If it is in terms of how many people picked them to win, that's silly. I promise you that a lot of the people who put money on them are casual basketball fans and betting is their main hoby. If you were a casual basketball fan who only watches college basketball in March, you probably believe all of the ESPN hype. If you don't listen to the hype and you actually watched the season from start to finish, you knew that Duke lacked experienced leadership and had flaws that could haunt them in a single elimination game.

Even with their flaws and lack of scoring options, they were still a great team who may have won it all had they made it past MSU. I think it would have been more impressive for a team like this year's Duke team to win the championship than it is a surprise that they didn't.

It's really simple:

How many people here would have taken Duke vs the field?

Nobody.

So clearly it wasn't THAT shocking that "the field" won.

Duke was REALLY good this year. Definitely a favorite. Lots of media attention. But the team had some GLARING holes, holes that lots of people identified because they were REALLY easy to identify. Are Duke fans disappointed? Oh HELL yes. Was it really a surprise that Duke didn't win? No, not really, if you know anything about how basketball works and if you truly understand how a knockout tournament works.

Again. If you have the ability to use logic by looking at this Duke team and then looking back at teams that have been successful in the tournament over the past however many years, you would know that it doesn't matter if they were the favorites. I thought Duke had as good of a chance as anyone, I would not have bet on them to win it all though. The people saying that Duke was the biggest choke job in years are clearly uneducated on college basketball. If it is in terms of how many people picked them to win, that's silly. I promise you that a lot of the people who put money on them are casual basketball fans and betting is their main hoby. If you were a casual basketball fan who only watches college basketball in March, you probably believe all of the ESPN hype. If you don't listen to the hype and you actually watched the season from start to finish, you knew that Duke lacked experienced leadership and had flaws that could haunt them in a single elimination game.

Even with their flaws and lack of scoring options, they were still a great team who may have won it all had they made it past MSU. I think it would have been more impressive for a team like this year's Duke team to win the championship than it is a surprise that they didn't.
This is all well and good, but my point stands. It was Duke’s to win. And while I’m not a douchebag who reverts to past threads, I said at the beginning of the year if Coach K doesn’t get it done handpicking his recruits, it’s a choke job. I stand by my comments. Duke let one slip away, or choked, whichever expression you prefer.

If you were a casual basketball fan who only watches college basketball in March, you probably believe all of the ESPN hype. If you don't listen to the hype and you actually watched the season from start to finish, you knew that Duke lacked experienced leadership and had flaws that could haunt them in a single elimination game.

This is what I don't get. I always assume this forum is mainly people who AREN'T like this. I'm beginning to wonder if that isn't the case.

This is what I don't get. I always assume this forum is mainly people who AREN'T like this. I'm beginning to wonder if that isn't the case.
This board sucks anymore, honestly. Too many decent posters have disappeared. Barely any meat on the bone. I check out of habit, but probably need to kick that habit.

Welcome to the club. TBH, I'm just happy dominating the conversation. No one talks much about other teams underachieving. They don't make the final four and it's another ho-hum year.

ADVERTISEMENT