ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Self has only been to 2 Final Fours?

If only Marshall hadn’t got hurt.
If only Roy left KU sooner.

That right there probably gets Roy to 5 titles. If only....

And I’m sure there are more.

Doubtful. Now if Roy could beat Bill Self, he might have more.

Although no doubt it was a recruiting boost to be able to pitch paper classes.

Doubtful. Now if Roy could beat Bill Self, he might have more.

Although no doubt it was a recruiting boost to be able to pitch paper classes.

Well you guys will have play better when tournament time comes. I'm not going to get into how many times Self s**t the bed with stacked squads.

After 2 Final Four appearances and 1 national title under his belt, it seem obvious that Bill Self sucks as a coach and at life.

Reactions: KisteK
Well you guys will have play better when tournament time comes. I'm not going to get into how many times Self s**t the bed with stacked squads.

His teams typically aren't nearly as stacked as Roy's teams, since Roy somehow gets everyone to stay an extra 2 years.

Everyone labeled last year a stacked team, but you're not so stacked if you don't have a single threat in your frontcourt.

Next year...he will be stacked. Bring it on, b!tches.

His teams typically aren't nearly as stacked as Roy's teams, since Roy somehow gets everyone to stay an extra 2 years.

Everyone labeled last year a stacked team, but you're not so stacked if you don't have a single threat in your frontcourt.

Next year...he will be stacked. Bring it on, b!tches.

And when the flameout occurs don't go missing.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Calipari only has 4 Final 4 appearances. He never went to a Final 4 with Memphis.
Pitino only has 1.

Who coached Memphis the year we beat them for the championship. I swear that with call with his hands to his face when Dozier fouledout.

Here is the post: there might be some KU homer towards the end but I think for the most part it’s a fair comparison.

Roy Williams, 37 hired by Kansas in 1988.
Went to a final four in 91 and 93 (year 3 & 5 at KU)
Then went 8 years without a final four until 2002 and 2003 (year 14 & 15 at KU)
At age 54, Roy wins his first NCAA title after 17 years coaching. (Bill is currently 54).
Title #2 at age 58 (21 years coaching)
Title #3 at age 66 (29 year coaching).
Currently 67 years old.

Roy went to 4 final fours at KU in 15 years. Won his 1st title after 17 years coaching at 2 bluebloods.

Mike Krzyzewski, age 37 when hired at Duke in 1980.
First Final four in year 6 (11th year coaching)
and followed it with a FF in year 8, 9, 10 (year 13, 14, 15 coaching)
At age 48, 16 years coaching (11 at duke), 1st NCAA title.
2nd title in year 12 at age 49.
Currently 70 years old.

Summary: Coach K won his 1st title after 16 years coaching and it took him 11 years at Duke.

Bill Self, hired by Kansas at age 40. Coached at Oral Roberts, Tulsa and Illinois prior to KU.
Bill Self won his first National championship at age 45 in his 5th season at Kansas (15th season overall but spend 7 seasons at Oral Roberts and Tulsa).

in 14 seasons at Kansas Self has a national championship and 1 final four. Yes he has less FF's than Roy but he has the title at Kansas. Obviously you have to account for Self's time at Oral Roberts and Tulsa but it truly is not as comparable as to Williams start at Kansas. Coach K coached at Army for 5 years so that is much more comparable to to Selfs start.

When Roy/Self/K coached at Blueblood, it took Bill Self the quickest amount of time to win a national title and did so at the youngest age. He is still significantly younger than Coach K and Roy.

Point: Bill Self is essentially right where Roy Williams and Coach K were in their careers. Coach K had more FF's but Roy had no titles at that point. But Coach K is also the GOAT. While Kansas routinely is as talented as 99% of the country, he never has the talent that Coach K and Calipari have. Self never gets to handpick his recruits like Duke/UNC get to. In fact, Self is labeled as an underachiever but really doesnt he do more with less? If he had the recruiting classes that K/Cal had, we would have more Final Fours. Self developed Frank, Tyshawn, T-Rob, Twins, DeVonte, etc etc. I am not saying Self doesnt recruit talent. He does. It is better than anyone not named Duke, UNC and UK. But those programs consistently get 5 top 15 kids while we get 1. As much as I harp on Self for his postseason losses, he is actually well ahead of the game and if you look at the track records of Williams and Krzyzewski, Bill Self is getting close the age that those coaches started to rattle of FF's.

Self is significantly younger and is already so decorated. Recruiting has picked up the last year and the future looks brighter than ever.

You have to think that Coach K will retire at some point and Bill Self will coach at Kansas long after that fact. You have to think Self is on the verge of rattling off some Final Fours.

Williams has coached at Kansas/UNC for 30 years. 3 titles.
Krzyzewski coached at Duke for 37 years: 5 titles.
Self coached at Kansas for 14 years. 1 title.

You listed a lot of impressive numbers here. You failed to list one very important number though.........0 ........as in the number of tines Roy Williams teams have lost in the first round of the NCAA TOURNAMENT. Self, K. Izzo. Knight, Boheim all with numerous occurrences.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Its Kansas. They aren't known for tournament success. They only have 1 more title than UofL for gods sake. They just care about conference titles. #bigfishinsmallpond

Yeah well history is gonna change

2.jpg

He has 3 now, seems that Bill Self’s team plays better if going against a team evenly matched with KU, he tends to choke and panic against heavy underdogs instead.

He has 3 now, seems that Bill Self’s team plays better if going against a team evenly matched with KU, he tends to choke and panic against heavy underdogs instead.

It would be a very Bill Self thing to do to beat Duke then Nova only to lose to Loyola in the title game.

I'm half joking. It would fit the narrative at least, but Self really is one of the best in the business.

Which do you think is more likely...they lost to midmajors because their coach panicked, or because they get more amped to play Duke or North Carolina than Northern Iowa?

Which do you think is more likely...they lost to midmajors because their coach panicked, or because they get more amped to play Duke or North Carolina than Northern Iowa?

That doesn't matter. If Self is all that he wouldn't have all those embarrassing losses. Every coach has them and it's his job to have his players ready. You're saying it's ok for Self to lose to the Davidsons and the Bucknells of the world but you throw shade on Roy and the game we played in 2012. It takes coaching to get to back to back title games. It also takes coaching to win 3 titles in 14 years.

That doesn't matter. If Self is all that he wouldn't have all those embarrassing losses. Every coach has them and it's his job to have his players ready. You're saying it's ok for Self to lose to the Davidsons and the Bucknells of the world but you throw shade on Roy and the game we played in 2012. It takes coaching to get to back to back title games. It also takes coaching to win 3 titles in 14 years.

So why does K have a sh*tload of first and second round losses? And to teams like Lehigh? Guess he's not "all that."

So why does K have a sh*tload of first and second round losses? And to teams like Lehigh? Guess he's not "all that."
Because he gets to the tournament so much?

Meh, it's more about his 5 titles and 1100 wins.

Coaches are not defined by their losses.....well I guess to pessimist they are.

Because he gets to the tournament so much?

Meh, it's more about his 5 titles and 1100 wins.

Coaches are not defined by their losses.....well I guess to pessimist they are.

I don't think they're defined ONLY by their losses. With anything, you really have to look at the entire body of work. I think Tony Bennet is an excellent coach, and he has had a lot of regular season and conference tournament success. But until he makes a serious run at a title it will be hard not to think about his most recent loss at least a bit, especially when you add in a few other NCAA tournament failures.

Edit to add: as much as I laughed at some of K's more embarrassing loses, it's hard to argue with what the man has done in his career.

Last edited:

He’s got 5 titles, #1 in wins. Bottom line is Self is looking up to K and Roy. Next you will probably say Seth Greenberg is in your top 5 of coaches.

He’s got 5 titles, #1 in wins. Bottom line is Self is looking up to K and Roy. Next you will probably say Seth Greenberg is in your top 5 of coaches.

Of course he's #1 in wins. He's coached at a top program for 40 years. Laughing

And obviously he's been great. Which is kinda the point. You implied that you can't be great if you've lost to inferior teams. Don't move the posts.

Of course he's #1 in wins. He's coached at a top program for 40 years. Laughing

And obviously he's been great. Which is kinda the point. You implied that you can't be great if you've lost to inferior teams. Don't move the posts.

I didn’t move them you did, read your previous posts....

ADVERTISEMENT