ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 thread

Again, hard to judge any of these teams because they played absolutely nobody in the noncon. Yes, ISU played North Carolina, but UNC has not been good at all.

TT is a decent team, but they do not have the defense that they've had in recent years. The final score may have been close, but I felt like we were the clear better team the entire game and it only came close at the end because they hit some crazy shots and we stopped running our offense trying to run the clock out. I can't remember the last time we wend down there and didn't have a real neck to neck struggle for 40 minutes. And they just lost to Oklahoma at home. They are not that great this year.

ISU ..... again I think they're good. Not sure how good because of their noncon. But they are 3-0 and have two tough road wins, including the win at TCU, which I think is the most impressive road win of any of those 3 teams thus far. I'd put ISU at #2 in the Big XII right now, but I don't know if that means they're a legit top 10 team or if they're more just a top 20-ish team in about the same spot as several other teams.

KSU, I don't know what to think yet. They didn't look good in their noncon imo, and only had a good record because they played an incredibly soft noncon. They then had to scrape by in overtime to beat WVU at home, in a game in which WVU missed 18 free throws. I think they got lucky to get by with the W there and I don't think WVU is very good at all. They did look good against Texas and Baylor. But it's going to take more than 2 good games after a long stretch of mediocre play for me to be convinced that they're the team we've seen the last 7 days rather than the team we saw for 2 months before that. They also played a Baylor team that has lost 3 in a row and has lost multiple games by 15+ this year. Baylor is struggling with player turnover and their success seems to hinge on whether or not Flagler has an off night shooting. And a Texas team that hasn't looked good since the Beard incident.

TCU is pretty much the same. I think that they may pose more problems for KU than the others, but as far as how they will fair in the Big XII, I think they're around the same as ISU, KSU, and Texas. Borderline top 20-ish teams, but none of them stick out to me as being a top tier team. Stick them in any order.
Tech is too young. And we missed on some of our transfers. Walton has been a total bust. Kid can't hit anything. Williams has given us next to nothing. They are so bad that true freshman have passed them by. But Washington and Jennings just aren't ready for Big12 ball yet. Pops has been a nice surprise and he will be a monster by the end of the year.

And we have just been hit hard with the injury bug so far. Fardaws hasn't even played yet. Pops has a concussion from the KU game, and Batcho dislocated a finger. We are pretty much a 7 man rotation and 3 of those are hurt. So, we had to play the bench guys who suck against OU and still should have won.

This team is talented but I don't think we can put it together this year. Already 0-3 and probably getting healthy too late. Oh well, better luck next year for us.

Reactions: KisteK
Tech is too young. And we missed on some of our transfers. Walton has been a total bust. Kid can't hit anything. Williams has given us next to nothing. They are so bad that true freshman have passed them by. But Washington and Jennings just aren't ready for Big12 ball yet. Pops has been a nice surprise and he will be a monster by the end of the year.

And we have just been hit hard with the injury bug so far. Fardaws hasn't even played yet. Pops has a concussion from the KU game, and Batcho dislocated a finger. We are pretty much a 7 man rotation and 3 of those are hurt. So, we had to play the bench guys who suck against OU and still should have won.

This team is talented but I don't think we can put it together this year. Already 0-3 and probably getting healthy too late. Oh well, better luck next year for us.
Pops has been a beast. The kid is gonna be really good. He's already really good.

Love seeing my guy KJ doing well at K-state. Kstate quietly looking like a tourney contender.

If Oklahoma has any hope of upsetting KU, they had better do it tonight. KU is flat and missing chip shots and wide open jumpers. We’re beatable when we play like this. Fortunately OU isn’t coming into AFH shooting like OSU did two weeks ago.

Oklahoma can’t miss. Every single shot is well guarded too. They’ve hit like 7 in a row. Tough shots too. Combined with KU playing flat offensively, this is the night for an upset.

This reminds me of that TCU game years ago. KU just missed 4 chip shots in a row right under the basket. There’s a lid on the basket. If OU doesn’t take advantage of this they may never get another chance.

KU putting a clinic on terrible offense tonight. Someone on Twitter said they’ve missed 17 shots within 3 feet tonight.

KU putting a clinic on terrible offense tonight. Someone on Twitter said they’ve missed 17 shots within 3 feet tonight.
Meanwhile the ball is bouncing OU’s way. We strip the ball and it goes into the hands of an Oklahoma player with a layup. Good defense has somehow led to good looks with loose balls that are going their way. But really OU is playing great right now. Taking advantage of an off night for KU, but if they played with this effort every night, they’d be 15-0 or 14-1. But they never do, do they? They always shoot their wad against us then you watch these teams the next game and they play flat and go through the motions.

Meanwhile the ball is bouncing OU’s way. We strip the ball and it goes into the hands of an Oklahoma player with a layup. Good defense has somehow led to good looks with loose balls that are going their way. But really OU is playing great right now. Taking advantage of an off night for KU, but if they played with this effort every night, they’d be 15-0 or 14-1. But they never do, do they? They always shoot their wad against us then you watch these teams the next game and they play flat and go through the motions.

Up 21 shots within 3-5 feet missed tonight for KU. Unreal.

And that is why Kansas is so dominate. Self wins over 80% of games within 5 points. His teams just finish.
19-5 run the last 4 minutes after doing nothing for 13 minutes. Insane.

Phewwww, major choke job by Oklahoma paired with a great comeback by Kansas.

KU ramped up the intensity the final 5 minutes and OU just couldn’t keep up. Seemed like they ran out of gas honestly. Think KU really let the missed layups and open shots get into their heads more and more as he game progressed. But man having championship experience really helps when it gets close and when you need to turn it up to the next gear.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Played like absolute shit until 5 remaining. Is it asking too much for them to play with that effort for more than 5 minutes?

KU ramped up the intensity the final 5 minutes and OU just couldn’t keep up. Seemed like they ran out of gas honestly. Think KU really let the missed layups and open shots get into their heads more and more as he game progressed. But man having championship experience really helps when it gets close and when you need to turn it up to the next gear.
It did seem like Oklahoma was gassed. I only got to watch the last 5 minutes or so because I was watching another game.

Played like absolute shit until 5 remaining. Is it asking too much for them to play with that effort for more than 5 minutes?

It was a weird game. 1st half KU was running good offense but missed so many open shots and shots at the rim. 2nd half OU was making a ton of tough shots while KU was attacking the basket nonstop. Refs first 15 minutes of the 2nd half seemed to stop the game every 30 seconds for a call. OU seemed to have a strategy to not let KU finish shots and foul instead and this KU likes to pick up cheap fouls reaching in and giving up soft fouls. Led to a constant whistle. Final 5 minutes the game finally got some flow and KU took off. Just an odd game.

KU now has the #1 SOS per Kenpom.

It's insane how many times they've had the #1 schedule in the Self era.

Edit: actually they're #7 right now.

Last edited:
Hats off to KU man, they just find a way to win these games especially at home. The championship DNA and coaching really matters at the end of these games.

This seems like one of their weaker squads but the field is very weak this year.

desi-sills.jpg

ESPN is displaying the rebounding averages out to two decimal places now lol? Is this a new feature?

I love ESPN's graphics for the Big 12. Top-notch.

FmNojDTaAAAnSgw

This seems like one of their weaker squads but the field is very weak this year.
The same was said last year.

The truth is, Self's teams that centered around big men....those teams were more consistent and more consistently blew the competition out. But had less success in the NCAA tourney. Since he's gone more to small ball, we've been less consistent in the regular season, being more centered around jump shots and subject to the whims of up and down shooting. But we've had more tourney success.

This team has had a few games where we can't drop the ball in the ocean. One of them was this last game. Then there was the OSU game where they were just on fire, hitting threes from 10 feet behind the arc with a hand in the face. They weren't running any offense, they were just hitting wild shots. That happens sometimes. The difference is, past KU teams would have gotten more of the rebounds giving them fewer 2nd chance points, and thus would have won that game by 6-10 pts.

I'm not sure why we've struggled in the tourney more with big-men dominant teams(sans 2008). I think part of it is the difference in how games are called in the tourney compared to the regular season. Teams in the early tourney games will play the "hack a shaq" game where they just beat the sh!t out of big men and refs swallow their whistles, trying to shorten the games due to time schedules. I think the rest is because with a smaller team, you tend to guard the three point line better than when you have a team centered around big men. And let's be honest, a lot of these big upsets are due to teams getting hot from 3, and KU has been a victim of that quite frequently.

My god KU can’t finish anything around the rim this past week.
Or hit wide open shots. A lot of it is McCullar being in a rut. He’s 0-5 from 3 and every one of them has been a wide open look. One of those hit the side of the backboard.

In fact the team is 0-9 from three outside of Dick and every one of them have been wide open.

Self needs to get a T and let the refs know they need to get their heads out of their asses. He literally tackled our guy and shoved him out of bounds.

Never seen a game before where you feel like you should be up 10+ but somehow you’re down.

Big shots from Jalen, Kalscheur, and KJ down the stretch. Competitive game. KU has the most talent and ISU has shot makers who play tremendous defense. Best 2 teams I’ve seen so far this year in B12. KU has to get something from the bench or at least competent play from the bench. If it isn’t the starters or Bobby on the floor the rest of the team is all over the place out of position.

Last edited:
Big shots from Jalen, Kalscheur, and KJ down the stretch. Competitive game. KU has the most talent and ISU has shot makers who play tremendous defense. Best 2 teams I’ve seen so far this year. KU has to get something from the bench or at least competent play from the bench. If it isn’t the starters or Bobby on the floor the rest of the team is all over the place out of position.
Thank you Kansas for winning me some easy money. Now just make sure you burn those jerseys and never wear them again..........yikes.

;)

• Haha
Reactions: HawkeyeFakeID
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT