ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 thread

@lurkeraspect84 :

New Castle:

6921813018_651c1e4d71_b.jpg

file.jpg

new_castle.jpg

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Crazy ass loud....Especially Seymour and New Castle.
You ever set aside being a ref and go to fan mode and say to yourself, "this is lIVE AF".
A little in awe of it all.
As a ref, you have to not get caught up in it, but you're still a fan of the sport.
*argument could be made the refs are the biggest fan of the sport. Moreso than fans.

You ever set aside being a ref and go to fan mode and say to yourself, "this is lIVE AF".
A little in awe of it all.
As a ref, you have to not get caught up in it, but you're still a fan of the sport.
*argument could be made the refs are the biggest fan of the sport. Moreso than fans.
Absolutely that happens. Walk into a HS gym, with 8 thousand fukin fans? I mean, really? Band blaring---crowd roaring....student section going nuts?

Fukin gives ya bumps, man.

and some of the best environments are at the smaller, 1A/2A schools. Gym with 1800 or so---maybe 3,000. Fans right on your ass. Fukin beautiful.

• Love
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Yes.....

@ New Castle, @ The Wigwam----And @ Seymour.

Wigwam in Anderson, could hold over 10,000..

New Castle , with added seating, could also seat over 10,000

Seymour capacity was 8,700---but with added seating, also exceeded 10,000

@lurkeraspect84 :

To add, there are over 100 gyms in Indiana that hold over 4,000-5,000. Shit my alma mater, Borden HS---enrollment of about 400, town of maybe 1500----our gym holds almost 3,000.

Smallest gym I have worjed at this year: 1800
Largest this year: 6400
I am here to totally support what Borden is telling you. Indiana High Schools believe in big facilities for their favored sport. I have been to many of them.

. . and Borden, you never mentioned the old Jeffersonville gym. It was massive when I was in High School.

My little home town had 400 people in it and our gym held 2,000. Usually it was full because basketball was a big deal.

Wow, sure must be nice to be a Blue Blood playing at home. Oklahoma State just got straight-up cheated.

Funny because it shouldn’t have even been OSU’s ball for Thompson to get blocked because the ball was out of bounds off OSU on that drive not McCullar. Clear as day on the review. The block on Thompson is a 50/50 call at best and you aren’t getting that call on the road especially in Allen Fieldhouse. Suck it.

Yes. And has been awful. And the Big 8 was even worse. How else would KU have all that success. They never had to worry about their conference schedule.
The Big XII for years was a league with a lot of above average teams but few elite teams outside of KU. So yeah that helped KU on that streak.

But in recent years that hasn’t been the case. The Big XII has had multiple legit top 10 teams every year in addition to having multiple other above average teams.

Regarding KU’s streak, I will say that we likely don’t win that many consecutive conference titles in any other league, thanks to not having many top 10 teams outside of KU. It also helped that some of our worst teams happened to be during down years in the league. But I’m also confident nobody else could have won as many as we did even if they played in the Big XII, because everyone has had multiple off/bad years other than KU.

But in general your comments might have rung true several years ago. But applied to the last several years? You’re off your mother ****ing rocker.

Reactions: forsh_21
The LOWEST ranked team in the Big 12 is #37 per Kenpom. Tell us more about how awful the league is, afamu. 😂

Every team in the league would probably beat Duke right now.

Reactions: KisteK
Big 12 is bananas this year. Not only is every team in the top 40, but it seems like every game I watch comes right down to the end. Just this week we've seen the games between KU-TTU, Iowa State-OU, and TCU-Baylor not decided until the final seconds.

Really good comeback win for TCU last night.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
KState is better than I thought. Hard to get a read on how good they are though. They didn’t play anybody in the noncon and though they’ve looked good the last two games, Baylor hasn’t been playing well lately(lost two in a row right now and likely to drop out of top 25 regardless of what happens in this game). And Texas hasn’t looked good since Beard did the chokehold on his wife.

KU 3-0 behind the performance of the refs who have sent KU to the line an outrageous 33 times vs their opponents who have only gotten a measly 51 attempts. KU once again being carried by those pesky refs in Big 12 play.

KU 3-0 behind the performance of the refs who have sent KU to the line an outrageous 33 times vs their opponents who have only gotten a measly 51 attempts. KU once again being carried by those pesky refs in Big 12 play.
I don’t know where we’d be without them.

If ISU had the refs in their pockets like KU, they’d probably have several national titles. Just ask clonesighguy.

Reactions: forsh_21
This conference is even better than I anticipated; Tech, Huggs and Drew feeling the pinch.

I had Iowa State finishing 7th-9th, but their D has been incredible.

The Big XII is good too to bottom. No terrible teams and I think maybe 8 who are good enough to be tourney teams. But I think they lack a top team outside of KU. I think Texas was there, but they have looked pretty bad since Beard’s incident.

The Big XII is good too to bottom. No terrible teams and I think maybe 8 who are good enough to be tourney teams. But I think they lack a top team outside of KU. I think Texas was there, but they have looked pretty bad since Beard’s incident.
How many conferences have two 'top teams'? KU and Texas even without Beard are as up there as any other league.

Iowa State/Tech/KSU look like top 10 type teams imo.
Again, hard to judge any of these teams because they played absolutely nobody in the noncon. Yes, ISU played North Carolina, but UNC has not been good at all.

TT is a decent team, but they do not have the defense that they've had in recent years. The final score may have been close, but I felt like we were the clear better team the entire game and it only came close at the end because they hit some crazy shots and we stopped running our offense trying to run the clock out. I can't remember the last time we wend down there and didn't have a real neck to neck struggle for 40 minutes. And they just lost to Oklahoma at home. They are not that great this year.

ISU ..... again I think they're good. Not sure how good because of their noncon. But they are 3-0 and have two tough road wins, including the win at TCU, which I think is the most impressive road win of any of those 3 teams thus far. I'd put ISU at #2 in the Big XII right now, but I don't know if that means they're a legit top 10 team or if they're more just a top 20-ish team in about the same spot as several other teams.

KSU, I don't know what to think yet. They didn't look good in their noncon imo, and only had a good record because they played an incredibly soft noncon. They then had to scrape by in overtime to beat WVU at home, in a game in which WVU missed 18 free throws. I think they got lucky to get by with the W there and I don't think WVU is very good at all. They did look good against Texas and Baylor. But it's going to take more than 2 good games after a long stretch of mediocre play for me to be convinced that they're the team we've seen the last 7 days rather than the team we saw for 2 months before that. They also played a Baylor team that has lost 3 in a row and has lost multiple games by 15+ this year. Baylor is struggling with player turnover and their success seems to hinge on whether or not Flagler has an off night shooting. And a Texas team that hasn't looked good since the Beard incident.

TCU is pretty much the same. I think that they may pose more problems for KU than the others, but as far as how they will fair in the Big XII, I think they're around the same as ISU, KSU, and Texas. Borderline top 20-ish teams, but none of them stick out to me as being a top tier team. Stick them in any order.

Again, hard to judge any of these teams because they played absolutely nobody in the noncon. Yes, ISU played North Carolina, but UNC has not been good at all.

TT is a decent team, but they do not have the defense that they've had in recent years. The final score may have been close, but I felt like we were the clear better team the entire game and it only came close at the end because they hit some crazy shots and we stopped running our offense trying to run the clock out. I can't remember the last time we wend down there and didn't have a real neck to neck struggle for 40 minutes. And they just lost to Oklahoma at home. They are not that great this year.

ISU ..... again I think they're good. Not sure how good because of their noncon. But they are 3-0 and have two tough road wins, including the win at TCU, which I think is the most impressive road win of any of those 3 teams thus far. I'd put ISU at #2 in the Big XII right now, but I don't know if that means they're a legit top 10 team or if they're more just a top 20-ish team in about the same spot as several other teams.

KSU, I don't know what to think yet. They didn't look good in their noncon imo, and only had a good record because they played an incredibly soft noncon. They then had to scrape by in overtime to beat WVU at home, in a game in which WVU missed 18 free throws. I think they got lucky to get by with the W there and I don't think WVU is very good at all. They did look good against Texas and Baylor. But it's going to take more than 2 good games after a long stretch of mediocre play for me to be convinced that they're the team we've seen the last 7 days rather than the team we saw for 2 months before that. They also played a Baylor team that has lost 3 in a row and has lost multiple games by 15+ this year. Baylor is struggling with player turnover and their success seems to hinge on whether or not Flagler has an off night shooting. And a Texas team that hasn't looked good since the Beard incident.

TCU is pretty much the same. I think that they may pose more problems for KU than the others, but as far as how they will fair in the Big XII, I think they're around the same as ISU, KSU, and Texas. Borderline top 20-ish teams, but none of them stick out to me as being a top tier team. Stick them in any order.

ISU to me has the most conducive style to winning and especially winning on the road with their defense.

KSU has the best duo with Johnson and Nowell that will win them games but don’t see them keeping it up with how awful their defense is.

TCU has the most talent maybe behind only Kansas across the board. Probably the most athletic team. Think they’re on par talent wise with Baylor and Texas.

Tech I don’t think much of overall. Obanor and Isaacs have talent but don’t think they’ll be contenders and think they’ll be bubble team come tournament time.

Baylor will get it going and probably get to 10 conference wins. Texas as well. Think 13-5 probably gets a share of the B12.

ISU to me has the most conducive style to winning and especially winning on the road with their defense.

KSU has the best duo with Johnson and Nowell that will win them games but don’t see them keeping it up with how awful their defense is.

TCU has the most talent maybe behind only Kansas across the board. Probably the most athletic team. Think they’re on par talent wise with Baylor and Texas.

Tech I don’t think much of overall. Obanor and Isaacs have talent but don’t think they’ll be contenders and think they’ll be bubble team come tournament time.

Baylor will get it going and probably get to 10 conference wins. Texas as well. Think 13-5 probably gets a share of the B12.
I think we finish 15-3 to be honest. I think we lose 2 between @ TCU/KSU/ISU and then lose another one some other random place. Maybe 2. So 15-3 or 14-4.

I think we finish 15-3 to be honest. I think we lose 2 between @ TCU/KSU/ISU and then lose another one some other random place. Maybe 2. So 15-3 or 14-4.

14-4 is my prediction for KU. That’s undefeated at home and 5-4 on the road.

Edit: I realize I phrase my original post oddly. I meant if KU doesn’t win the title outright with 14-4 then someone shares the B12 title with them at 13-5.

Reactions: KisteK
14-4 is my prediction for KU. That’s undefeated at home and 5-4 on the road.

Edit: I realize I phrase my original post oddly. I meant if KU doesn’t win the title outright with 14-4 then someone shares the B12 title with them at 13-5.
KU is already 2-0 on the road. We might finish 14-4, but in order to do that, we'd have to go 3-4 the rest of the way. IDK if that's going to happen. It might... but IDK. I think we probably win in Ames, lose @ TCU, toss up at KSU, and lose 1 at either Texas or Baylor. Both have talent even if they aren't exactly playing up to it, but when KU comes to town those places will be packed and players will be focused, so you never know what will happen. We could lose one at either OU or OSU....so yeah we finish road play 3-4 or 4-3.

ADVERTISEMENT