ADVERTISEMENT

BIG 10 POWER RANKINGS

Mostly because they both did very well in the OCC schedule. The B10 is brutal this year. There isn't a walk through game in the conference.

Meh. Nebraska has a good OOC Schedule, but I'm not sure they defeated any at-large teams. They have 4 decent wins over what appear to all be NIT Teams: Clemson (#56), Creighton (#62), Seton Hall (#63), Oklahoma State (#70)... 3-7 in league play with their best win being against Indiana (#48), who is 3-7 as well.

Indiana's best conference win was against Northwestern (#57). They do have two very good OOC wins against Marquette (#19) and Louisville (#12). I'm using the Net Rankings, btw... I'll acknowledge that the Big Ten is very deep. But you have to go at least 9-11 in league play to have a chance. Winning 40% does not merit an at-large bid. Would much rather see Wofford or San Francisco get an at-large over an 8-12 or 9-11 team.

Meh. Nebraska has a good OOC Schedule, but I'm not sure they defeated any at-large teams. They have 4 decent wins over what appear to all be NIT Teams: Clemson (#56), Creighton (#62), Seton Hall (#63), Oklahoma State (#70)... 3-7 in league play with their best win being against Indiana (#48), who is 3-7 as well.

Indiana's best conference win was against Northwestern (#57). They do have two very good OOC wins against Marquette (#19) and Louisville (#12). I'm using the Net Rankings, btw... I'll acknowledge that the Big Ten is very deep. But you have to go at least 9-11 in league play to have a chance. Winning 40% does not merit an at-large bid. Would much rather see Wofford or San Francisco get an at-large over an 8-12 or 9-11 team.
Well, and that's just it. There's a lot of games yet to play that could get them solidly in or out. OTOH, you also have to look at what teams they are competing against for those spots. What other teams are more deserving?

Well, and that's just it. There's a lot of games yet to play that could get them solidly in or out. OTOH, you also have to look at what teams they are competing against for those spots. What other teams are more deserving?

Certainly things can change. But I'll gladly take Wofford, San Francisco, Utah State, Lipscomb, Hofstra, and Murray State over Indiana or Nebraska. The 6 midmajors I listed are all in the top 50 of the Net Rankings. I'm sure some of them won't need an at-large, but it's likely 2-3 will lose in the conference tournament.

Certainly things can change. But I'll gladly take Wofford, San Francisco, Utah State, Lipscomb, Hofstra, and Murray State over Indiana or Nebraska. The 6 midmajors I listed are all in the top 50 of the Net Rankings. I'm sure some of them won't need an at-large, but it's likely 2-3 will lose in the conference tournament.
Yeah, but that's not the reality of these "mock" brackets. Mid majors don't get much play. It would have to be a major conference school. I wouldn't put so much stock in it.

Minnesota is in 6-4 BT and 16-5, Minnesota was hurt big time with injuries last season. its amazing how being healthy can affect a team. just like how injuries to key players can crush a team. Indiana comes to mind and Iowa last season.

this is where fans idiocy rears its ugly head wanting Coaches to be fired and/or players run off.

Minnesota is in 6-4 BT and 16-5, Minnesota was hurt big time with injuries last season. its amazing how being healthy can affect a team. just like how injuries to key players can crush a team. Indiana comes to mind and Iowa last season.

this is where fans idiocy rears its ugly head wanting Coaches to be fired and/or players run off.

What in the hell does this have to do with power rankings?

Yeah, but that's not the reality of these "mock" brackets. Mid majors don't get much play. It would have to be a major conference school. I wouldn't put so much stock in it.

Lipscomb won at TCU (#30) - barely lost to Louisville on the road. They also pounded Liberty (#56) and Vermont (#74). Undefeated in league play, I'd say they have a legitimate shot at an at-large, but good chance they won't need it.

Wofford won at South Carolina by 20 - they won at UNC Greensboro (#51) by 29. They're undefeated in league play. They're worth consideration.

Hofstra has just 3 losses on the season - all 3 were losses were on the road. Marshall by 4, Maryland by 11, VCU by 2 (OT). They've won 16 straight games.

Just crazy how we give so many free passes to teams in power conferences. We say, well, winning on the road is tough. Only 33% of games are won by the visiting team. But suddenly a mid-major has to be fortunate to not only play top-50 teams, but they also have to beat them on the road (power teams won't play them anywhere else).

The math is crazy when you look at how few opportunities are really available for midmajors. If an average top 50 team plays 13 OOC games, you're looking at 650 possible games against top 50 teams. There are 353 D1 schools. That's less than 2 games per school. Great, now you have two shots to beat a top 50 program - and they're both on the road. Good luck!

What in the hell does this have to do with power rankings?
power rating of BT teams where they stand is what this about. here are the BT Standings
#1 Michigan 9-1 BT 20-1 overall
#2 MSU 9-1 BT 18-3 overall
#3 Purdue 7-2 BT 14-6 overall
#4 MD 8-3 BT 17-5 overall
#5 Wisconsin 7-3 BT 15-6 overall
#6 Minnesota 6-4 BT 16-5 overall
#7 Iowa 5-5 BT 16-5 overall
pretty much how they will be selected for the NCAAT, after the top 7 everybody else has a losing record in BT play,
#8 Rutgers 4-6 BT 11-9 overall
and it gets worse.

wouldn't shock people if Rutgers get in as the 8th BT Team.

ADVERTISEMENT