ADVERTISEMENT

BEST CLASS IN HISTORY.

I guess you could say without a title that would be under achieving but the goal every single year at Duke is to win a title. The expectations are a little higher. Just making a final four isn’t good enough. Sadly they do not grow on trees and there is a reason in all the time college hoops has been around no men’s team has more than 8 titles. It’s hard to do. What’s harder to do is take freshman dominated teams and win a title.

Then why would two of the more prominent coaches in the country adopt that strategy? Why make it harder on yourself than it already is? It just doesn't make sense.

Villanova and Purdue have higher KenPom ratinga than any team in the past 2 seasons, and even higher ratings than 2015 champion Duke and 2015 Arizona. Just slightly behind 2015 Wisconsin.

There are 2 truly great teams this year.
$100 says neither of those teams make the Final Four this year.

Reactions: tw3301
Lets do a $100 last longer each for Purdue vs Kansas and Villanova vs Kansas.

Thats $200 easy you could win!
I told you already that the #1 rule in sports gambling is you do not bet on Kansas in March. There’s plaques all over Vegas and Atlantic City with that quote. You can find them next to the plaques that warn of gambling problems.

I will bet against Purdue all day everyday in March though. What would you propose?

Then why would two of the more prominent coaches in the country adopt that strategy? Why make it harder on yourself than it already is? It just doesn't make sense.
If you want the top talent, you go after the best players. Calipari and K are not the only two people going after the best players in every class. Sure it’s difficult but it is also difficult to win with middle of the line players who have continuity.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Pride? I hope not, but it could be.

Maybe they believe the best talent gives them the best chance at winning. It hasn't been a strategy long enough to give up on.

I'm not saying it's a strategy worth giving up on. I'm just not sure that I agree with the premise that it's harder to win with freshman dominated teams when those freshman dominated teams typically have a significant talent advantage.

I live in the state of NC so don't let these mouth breathing flatland NC guys fool you. That might be how it is down east still but over the past ten years I've seen a HUGE shift toward Duke in the mountains. When I was in high school a lot of people liked Duke but a lot didn't. Now Duke is very popular so these guys are too old to realize it or live in a bubble

I told you already that the #1 rule in sports gambling is you do not bet on Kansas in March. There’s plaques all over Vegas and Atlantic City with that quote. You can find them next to the plaques that warn of gambling problems.

I will bet against Purdue all day everyday in March though. What would you propose?

Id propose a last longer between the B1G and Big 12.

If B1G gets four teams in, Ill use those and you pick any 4 Big12 teams youd like. If B1G gets 5, you pick 5.

Seems like a fun sweat for both of us with plenty of troll opportunities for the winner. For just $50-$100, seems tame right?

What say you?

I live in the state of NC so don't let these mouth breathing flatland NC guys fool you. That might be how it is down east still but over the past ten years I've seen a HUGE shift toward Duke in the mountains. When I was in high school a lot of people liked Duke but a lot didn't. Now Duke is very popular so these guys are too old to realize it or live in a bubble
Every now and then you might find a store down here that has Duke gear. Never could before minus the really expensive chain stores. You could go in to Walgreens and see a display of unc, NC State, Wake Forest and even Kentucky. But no Duke.

Reactions: pisgah101
Was that so hard?

Nope. Pretty easy to admit people on this board are stupid.

If you want the top talent, you go after the best players. Calipari and K are not the only two people going after the best players in every class. Sure it’s difficult but it is also difficult to win with middle of the line players who have continuity.

I think the past few years have shown that programs that rely on different recruiting philosophies can both be successful. The issue with OAD is that not all OAD recruits are created equal. I may be one of the few that doesn't mind that Duke got the top 3 players in the class and Jones. Duke will always be more talented than UVA so I'm just interested to see how a defense-oriented, continuous team like UVA can fare against the elite talent that Duke puts on the floor.

FTFY.

And Duke will have more talent again, but guess who ain’t scared, the same team that had less talent than them last year and cut down the nets. Bring it, Dukies. Maybe K can catch up w Roy in titles since he’s been to the Hill. Just maybe.

Maybe one day Roy will pass K in titles, wins and head to head victories. Maybe

I spent some time in Chapel Hill recently and that was a vibe I got too. One UNC guy told said to me “you know how I know Duke is more popular in NC than 10 years ago? A kid from Kinston went to play there.”

Reactions: pisgah101
Id propose a last longer between the B1G and Big 12.

If B1G gets four teams in, Ill use those and you pick any 4 Big12 teams youd like. If B1G gets 5, you pick 5.

Seems like a fun sweat for both of us with plenty of troll opportunities for the winner. For just $50-$100, seems tame right?

What say you?
I like it but let’s make it best winning percentage.

Nope. Pretty easy to admit people on this board are stupid.

I think the past few years have shown that programs that rely on different recruiting philosophies can both be successful. The issue with OAD is that not all OAD recruits are created equal. I may be one of the few that doesn't mind that Duke got the top 3 players in the class and Jones. Duke will always be more talented than UVA so I'm just interested to see how a defense-oriented, continuous team like UVA can fare against the elite talent that Duke puts on the floor.
Yeah, I agree. There are definitely many ways to bget successful. I do not begrudge anyone’s way of doing it if it works.

It will be interesting this year with Duke and UVA. Two teams that are as good as it gets for completely different reasons.

How about which conference goes further but we both get to pick a team from the other conference that doesn’t count? So like I’ll pick Illinois or something and you can pick Kansas.
NOPE

I'm sure there are plenty of Duke fans that are already claiming greatness for the 2018-2019 team. And it's January 20th, 2018!!!
This year's Duke team will be better than next year's... Unless something crazy happened like Carter returning.

Reactions: jhmossy
Maybe Roy wasted a lot of time at Kansas. That’s good for K tho.
Roy had the most talented team in the country many many times while at Kansas but he couldn't get it done. Hopefully one day he will be as good as Bill Self.

Reactions: Quavarius
ADVERTISEMENT