ADVERTISEMENT

At this point, you cant deny that UConn is blue blood already

Sorry to break it to you but this board reflects nothing in terms of fan support for any team besides UK and KU. There were many Uconn fans here years ago when it was a pay board and had good discussion. Once they made it free and all the low rent posters showed up, most of us went away. Our primary board for chat has always been active and busy.

UConns main CBB board was on rivals from 2010 to 2016 and then it went to scout and then to its own thing. Obviously , pretty much all uconn fans left this site when the-boneyard.com left rivals.

Let's be honest, are they in Kansas/UCLA/Dukes rearview mirror? Maybe not close, but like, they're coming into view?

Imo those 3 are 3-5 in the GOAT discussion. But I don't think they are separated by a lot. Uconn is undoubtedly getting up there. Still think they need to win a couple more to pass those 3 but they're coming in hot.

Let's be honest, are they in Kansas/UCLA/Dukes rearview mirror? Maybe not close, but like, they're coming into view?

Imo those 3 are 3-5 in the GOAT discussion. But I don't think they are separated by a lot. Uconn is undoubtedly getting up there. Still think they need to win a couple more to pass those 3 but they're coming in hot.
They don’t have to be in KU/UCLA/Duke’s rearview mirrors to be considered blue blood, unless there are only 5 fixed spots for blue blood programs that they have to surpass one program to get in.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
They don’t have to be in KU/UCLA/Duke’s rearview mirrors to be considered blue blood, unless there are only 5 fixed spots for blue blood programs that they have to surpass one program to get in.

I'm not trying to argue whether they're a blue blood or not. I was just wondering where everyone sees them in the pecking order now of the Top 10 programs.

UConn now has 6 titles. UNC has 6 titles. Duke has 5 titles. Indiana 5. UCLA 11. Kentucky 8. Kansas 4.

Could someone explain to me if Kansas is a blue blood and Duke and UNC are blue bloods; how in hell is UConn not a blue blood?

UConn is a johnny come lately; however, so is Duke.

I need help.

Call us champions, like I said last year when we won. You guys can have your little blue blood label, we'll just hang another banner.

Call us champions, like I said last year when we won. You guys can have your little blue blood label, we'll just hang another banner.
ccky.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Random UK Fan
So here’s the deal.

First off, holy hell, what a few years for UConn. The morning after winning a title is the best feeling on earth, and it never goes away. Enjoy, you bastards, and the new season is underway!:)

That said.

I believe that it isn’t ONLY about titles. It just isn’t, and especially not in a world where regular season records and conference tourney records and all of that directly lead to positioning and match ups in a single elimination tournament.

A few stats:

School A
969 AP Top 25 appearances
125 AP #1 rankings
33 conference tournament championships
57 NCAA tournament appearances
131 NCAA tournament wins
12 NCAA title game appearances

School B
956 AP Top 25 appearances
113 AP #1 rankings
25 conference tournament championships
49 NCAA tournament appearances
132 NCAA tournament wins

School C
892 AP Top 25 appearances
145 AP #1 rankings
42 NCAA tournament appearances
118 NCAA tournament wins
11 NCAA title game appearances

School D
859 AP Top 25 appearances
76 AP #1 rankings
16 conference tournament championships
48 NCAA tournament appearances
116 NCAA tournament wins
10 NCAA title game appearances

School E
399 AP Top 25 appearances
36 AP #1 rankings
11 conference tournament championships
36 NCAA tournament appearances
69 NCAA tournament wins
7 NCAA title game appearances

So school E, compared to the cherry-picked best of the four schools listed ahead of it, is…

570 AP Top 25 appearances behind (142%)
109 AP #1 rankings behind (302%)
22 conference tournament championships behind (200%)
21 NCAA tournament appearances behind (58%)
63 NCAA tournament wins behind (91%)
5 NCAA title games behind (71%)

Compared to the cherry-picked WORST of each of the four schools listed above it, School E is still…

460 AP Top 25 appearances behind (115%)
40 AP #1 rankings behind (111%)
5 conference tournament championships behind (45%)
8 NCAA tournament appearances behind (26%)
47 NCAA tournament wins behind (68%)
3 NCAA title games behind (43%)

So yeah. UConn has had some incredible runs. The six titles are FOREVER, and amazing, two ahead of Kansas, one ahead of Duke, and tied with UNC. But realistically, as a program, they simply aren’t at the overall historical level of UK, UNC, Duke, or Kansas yet.

Last edited:
So here’s the deal.

First off, holy hell, what a few years for UConn. The morning after winning a title is the best feeling on earth, and it never goes away. Enjoy, you bastards, and the new season is underway!:)

That said.

I believe that it isn’t ONLY about titles. It just isn’t, and especially not in a world where regular season records and conference tourney records and all of that directly lead to positioning and match ups in a single elimination tournament.

A few stats:

School A
969 AP Top 25 appearances
125 AP #1 rankings
33 conference tournament championships
57 NCAA tournament appearances
131 NCAA tournament wins

School B
956 AP Top 25 appearances
113 AP #1 rankings
49 NCAA tournament appearances
132 NCAA tournament wins

School C
892 AP Top 25 appearances
145 AP #1 rankings
42 NCAA tournament appearances
118 NCAA tournament wins
11 NCAA title game appearances

School D
859 AP Top 25 appearances
76 AP #1 rankings
16 conference tournament championships
48 NCAA tournament appearances
116 NCAA tournament wins
10 NCAA title game appearances

School E
399 AP Top 25 appearances
36 AP #1 rankings
11 conference tournament championships
36 NCAA tournament appearances
69 NCAA tournament wins
7 NCAA title game appearances

So school E, compared to the cherry-picked best of the four schools listed ahead of it, is…

570 AP Top 25 appearances behind
109 AP #1 rankings behind
22 conference tournament championships behind
21 NCAA tournament appearances behind
63 NCAA tournament wins behind
5 NCAA title games behind

Compared to the cherry-picked WORST of each of the four schools listed above it, School E is still…

460 AP Top 25 appearances behind
40 AP #1 rankings behind
5 conference tournament championships behind
8 NCAA tournament appearances behind
47 NCAA tournament wins behind
3 NCAA title games behind

So yeah. UConn has had some incredible runs. The six titles are FOREVER, and amazing. But realistically, as a program, they simply aren’t at the overall historical level of UK, UNC, Duke, or Kansas yet.

szvzeet428gb1.png

• Haha

Uh, two thoughts.

One, I do enjoy discussing college basketball, and nonsense like “all time rankings”.

Second, I don’t have to cope with UConn winning. I don’t really care about UConn beating Purdue. I mean, good job winning! Wish we had (although we definitely weren’t good enough this year)! Still wish we had won in 94 and 04! But that’s about it:)

Last edited:
Btw, man, UCLA… Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Duke… all pretty easy to discuss. But that damn UCLA run of success being SO long ago, and in such a different environment… makes it so hard to include them in these discussions.

Btw, man, UCLA… Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Duke… all pretty easy to discuss. But that damn UCLA run of success being SO long ago, and in such a different environment… makes it so hard to include them in these discussions.
With 11 titles they have to be in the discussion, just like Uconn with 6 in 25 years has to be included in the blue blood at this point.

With 11 titles they have to be in the discussion, just like Uconn with 6 in 25 years has to be included in the blue blood at this point.

Intellectually I know. For sure. But if you look at the other stats, and the other schools, the last 40 years, it’s just not the same. They are a little bit more of an outlier, when it comes to discussion beyond title wins, you know?

Intellectually I know. For sure. But if you look at the other stats, and the other schools, the last 40 years, it’s just not the same. They are a little bit more of an outlier, when it comes to discussion beyond title wins, you know?
I think you have a point, though until someone surpasses them on the number of titles it is hard to drop them from blue blood. Also UCLA has at least been relevant in the 21st century for a few years, they haven’t been up to blue blood standards but they are not at Indiana’s level bad.

I think you have a point, though until someone surpasses them on the number of titles it is hard to drop them from blue blood. Also UCLA has at least been relevant in the 21st century for a few years, they haven’t been up to blue blood standards but they are not at Indiana’s level bad.

Would it be crazy to divide the Blue Bloods into like three brackets?

UK and UNC bracket 1 - the big two

Kansas and Duke bracket 2 - the next two

UCLA and UConn bracket 3 - two more with slight caveats

UK and UNC bracket 1 - the big two

Kansas and Duke bracket 2 - the next two

UCLA and UConn bracket 3 - two more with slight caveats

Hogwash. UCLA is battling UNC for #2.

Every knows about UCLA's title advantage. But, UCLA success in the other rounds is VERY similar to UNC's. They are easily ahead of Duke, Kansas, and UConn.

Tournament Appearances:
UNC- 53
UCLA- 52

Sweet 16s:
UCLA- 37
UNC- 36

Final 4s:
UNC- 21
UCLA- 19

Title Games:
UCLA- 13
UNC- 12

Ehhhh… but since 1985 (so removing the era of four teams to the title, only conference tourney winners go to the tourney, which hurts UNC especially hard given their conference, etc…)

Tournament Appearances:
UNC- 35
UCLA- 28

Sweet 16s:
UNC- 25
UCLA- 17

Final 4s:
UNC- 12
UCLA- 5

Title Games:
UNC- 6
UCLA- 2

My guess is that looking at the AP and stuff like that, which reflects all of the games played and the competition they are played again, would severely handicap UCLA in that comparison, although I’m not going through all of that data.

I may be biased against UCLA just because, in my 40 years of fandom, they have really not been on main stage like Kansas, UNC, and UK, although obviously they have been very good.

Ehhhh… but since 1985 (so removing the era of four teams to the title, only conference tourney winners go to the tourney, which hurts UNC especially hard given their conference, etc…)

Tournament Appearances:
UNC- 35
UCLA- 28

Sweet 16s:
UNC- 25
UCLA- 17

Final 4s:
UNC- 12
UCLA- 5

Title Games:
UNC- 6
UCLA- 2

My guess is that looking at the AP and stuff like that, which reflects all of the games played and the competition they are played again, would severely handicap UCLA in that comparison, although I’m not going through all of that data.

I may be biased against UCLA just because, in my 40 years of fandom, they have really not been on main stage like Kansas, UNC, and UK, although obviously they have been very good.

Those are separate discussions - all-time versus modern era. An all-time ranking can't just discount everything that happened prior to 1985.

FWIW, the Pacific Coast/Pac 8 teams won 3 titles, in addition to the UCLA titles pre-1985, whereas the ACC only won 2 titles outside of UNC pre-1985 (NCSU in 74 & 83).

I've created two separate tables to analyze the all-time and modern era. Haven't update it yet, but UConn will gain 83 points after this season. They'll be within 36 points of Kentucky for 5th place in the modern era.

Greatest-Programs-2023.jpg

Greatest-Modern-Era-2023-1-25.jpg

Those are separate discussions - all-time versus modern era. An all-time ranking can't just discount everything that happened prior to 1985.

FWIW, the Pacific Coast/Pac 8 teams won 3 titles, in addition to the UCLA titles pre-1985, whereas the ACC only won 2 titles outside of UNC pre-1985 (NCSU in 74 & 83).

I've created two separate tables to analyze the all-time and modern era. Haven't update it yet, but UConn will gain 83 points after this season. They'll be within 36 points of Kentucky for 5th place in the modern era.

Greatest-Programs-2023.jpg

Greatest-Modern-Era-2023-1-25.jpg

I respect your far more complete math above my much less complete math.

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT