ADVERTISEMENT

ASK A REFEREE; BRING YOUR QUESTIONABLE WHISTLE HERE

This is what I've been talking about. I get it, the job is hard, but it’s not about that, it's about how some individual refs can't tell the difference between a legit foul and a flop. Some of these acting jobs are really bad, but they're being rewarded.
You don't need to be a seasoned ref to see the flop in that video.
I don't think it's a foul, but ..The amount of contact doesn't dictate if it's a foul or not a foul. A foul is a foul, no matter how hard you get hit.

I think it's a terrible call. But not because he flipped.

I don't think it's a foul, but ..The amount of contact doesn't dictate if it's a foul or not a foul. A foul is a foul, no matter how hard you get hit.

I think it's a terrible call. But not because he flipped.
I get that, but when a guy throws himself on the floor, you can't reward that, especially when those two teams have been crashing into each other and setting hard screens all game long.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I get that, but when a guy throws himself on the floor, you can't reward that, especially when those two teams have been crashing into each other and setting hard screens all game long.
I don't disagree. If I'm the lead there, and see that my "C" has passed on a call...so do I. He was in awful position to make that call. Some officials seem like they always need a whistle.

Reactions: kyjeff1
No. Jumpers cannot catch the ball off the tap
What if hits the floor first and his the first one to get it? Without going out of the circle before it hits the floor.?

Is this like can't be first one to touch it coming out of bounds?

What if hits the floor first and his the first one to get it? Without going out of the circle before it hits the floor.?

Is this like can't be first one to touch it coming out of bounds?
Jumpers cannot catch the tip. Or any preceding tap, etc..

Just trying to ask a ref my friend.
Dungeons And Dragons Reaction GIF by Alpha

I wish I could find the "reach in foul" that would have sealed the game in regulation for us. Worst call of the game.

Exactly what I said happened tonight. Sears got a steal vs us then when we had a clean one in an extremely crucial moment...foul and 2 fts to tie it up. Never consistent.
I wouldn't say never consistent. Bad calls happen. Just like turnovers, bad shots, missed shots, missed FT's, offensive rebounds, etc, etc....

THng to look at, understand with these calls, is legal guarding position...That and what did the contact create? I mean I have passed on "fouls" simply because it didn't create anything----wasn't something needed. Players played through it, etc....

At the end of the day, winning and losing is a fine line. You turn it over 14 times, give up 20 ponts off those, well...……..seems that hurts more than a call or two.

JMO.

Alabama needed some help and they got it.

Then, the refs took control of our game once we got up 15 and turned every UK touch into a foul. They completely changed the game.

I have been very happy with the way the officials have called games this year, until last night.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Alabama needed some help and they got it.

Then, the refs took control of our game once we got up 15 and turned every UK touch into a foul. They completely changed the game.

I have been very happy with the way the officials have called games this year, until last night.
I'm not. We got hosed last night and it wasn't anywhere near the worst I've seen this year. Wake forest refs made Bama refs look like angels. I'll say this Rupp used to be the worst offender, but this year it was one of the road venues that was least biased. Ain't that somethin.

I'm not. We got hosed last night and it wasn't anywhere near the worst I've seen this year. Wake forest refs made Bama refs look like angels. I'll say this Rupp used to be the worst offender, but this year it was one of the road venues that was least biased. Ain't that somethin.
I know it sucks, but the way Florida is playing right now, I see a really good run in March for you guys.

The funny thing is, y'all are flying well under the radar. Nobody is talking about the Gators and for some reason, they are only ranked 24th, which is odd to me.

I hope UK doesn't catch the Gators in the SECT and that's the truth.

But I do want another piece of LSU. That was some BS last night.

I know it sucks, but the way Florida is playing right now, I see a really good run in March for you guys.

The funny thing is, y'all are flying well under the radar. Nobody is talking about the Gators and for some reason, they are only ranked 24th, which is odd to me.

I hope UK doesn't catch the Gators in the SECT and that's the truth.

But I do want another piece of LSU. That was some BS last night.
Yeah man I can't complain. It's great having a team that can compete with the top teams again. I'd love for us to get that prestige we had back with Donovan. It's hard to tell if this is something we can keep up or if it was just an amazing hit in the portal. Hopefully we can keep things going after this season.

I just don't think we'll have the pieces we have this year often so I'd hate for us to squander it.

Yeah man I can't complain. It's great having a team that can compete with the top teams again. I'd love for us to get that prestige we had back with Donovan. It's hard to tell if this is something we can keep up or if it was just an amazing hit in the portal. Hopefully we can keep things going after this season.
The issue is, with the current state of college basketball, you might only get your best players for 1 year. It's tough to get guys like Clayton and Pullin every year. Those 2 are legit talents.

Reactions: 954gator

This shoulda been a game sealing steal and bucket. @IUfanBorden
I mean, you reach around a guy....looks like there is some contact(arm)---maybe with the chest(?)---Its a lazy, HIGH risk play. You give up legal gauarding position to make a play that 9/0 is called a foul. Its not a smart play. Does that make it a foul? Of course not. But ANY type of contact there is gonna get a whistle, and simply b/c the defender no longer has legal guarding position.

Here it is

Meanwhile on the other side of the ball we were getting this. BTW they suspended the elbow guy 1 game lol.

First video---Again, we have ti understand LEGAL guarding position. Fans simply do not understand this concept. IF you are legal, 99% of the time, any contact is considered incidential, a basketball play, etc...---Play on. UNLESS the contact is to severe to ignore, or to play through. Even then, you can keep the whistle quiet---And simply explain to the coach---"Everyone was legal, Mike...I cant get anything there,"

In this clip, the defender is clearly beat off the dribble, and is behind the play. If there is the slightest bump, mis-direction of the dribbler, etc----it is going to be a foul. That is how we are instructed to officiate plays where the defender no longer has legal guarding position. Its what I have always said---Not all contact is the same.

I get it----people see lots of contact, with no whistle, and then see this play and are like---"WTF"?---Well its simply due to NOT having legal guarding position.

Second video--TBH I have no clue what it is I am looking at, or for? The arm coming down(elbow)?

Last edited:

Same ole shit different day. So we end up using our last Timeout to call an inbounds play down 1 with 4-5 seconds left. Ref lets us run the play then stops it takes the ball and we gotta run the same damn play. For what so Vandy can be happy on graduation day?! We been getting pounded by these refs all year SMH.

Thought the board could use a spot where fans could bring “bad calls” to our beloved resident referee @IUfanBorden, who as many of us know, is an actual college referee and is now on retainer here. He can confirm whether the ref that blew the whistle did indeed have his head up his ass and overturn it - or if it’s YOU who has their head up their ass and confirm the call.

Welp, let’s get it poppin’.

Case #1 . . . What do you think, Borden . . . Confirmed or overturned?

That was a good call at the time. This year that would be 100% a block.

Last edited:
Reactions: Random UK Fan
To me, if my call---Its a block. Offensive player has started his upward movement...I hate calling charges with a secondary defender...

BUT....By rule, and how its written, it is a charge. Defender has established a legal guarding position BEFORE the player has become airborne. What is needed is for the language to change---As in, "If in the judgement of the officvial, offesive player has began his shooting motion, and defense(secondary) is not legal---its a block. Not sure why its NOT written that way, because when determing a shooting/non-shooting foul, we do so by determining if offense has started his shooting motion.. Which IS----gathering, and bringing thre ball up, in a movement of shooting. Which is exactly what Brooks was doing. And here is the thing---When evaluated/graded---if you call that a block, its wrong.

In fairness to the official, he called the play as the rules are written.
I thought they changed the rule this season that the offensive player doesn't have to be airborne anymore. That they just have to be planted to start their upward motion.

"Under the new rule, a defender to draw a change must be in position at the time an offensive player plants a foot to go airborne to attempt a field goal."

Edit: I just realized this was an old thread.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT