ADVERTISEMENT

ASK A REFEREE; BRING YOUR QUESTIONABLE WHISTLE HERE

I'm not patronizing you. I was being polite in my question. However, I can me more direct.
Why would you voluntarily and openly admit that you understand a rule, but would call it completely different than the meaning you clearly understand it to be?

Answer that without deflection or doubting my understanding.
Because like most of the rules, it allows for "officials judgement". Ever read an NCAA case book? I doubt you have. There are hundreds of scenarios....If this is dfone...if that...If they do this. So on and so on. The rule contracdiscts itself---And if you would taken the time to read---instead of rushing to pounce, you would know why I could have called a block, probably would have called a block, and been within the rules----and, well, not have been.

In the act of shooting.....Allowing a shooter to return to the floor....legal guarding position...secondary defender...All play a role in calling a charge/block. And they all circle one another. So there is wiggle room, i.e. room to make a decision on what you feel the contact created.

I can go into MORE detail if you like? But me calling that a block isn't disregarding the rules. Its me making a judgement based on the multiple rules at my disposal.

Because like most of the rules, it allows for "officials judgement". Ever read an NCAA case book? I doubt you have. There are hundreds of scenarios....If this is dfone...if that...If they do this. So on and so on. The rule contracdiscts itself---And if you would taken the time to read---instead of rushing to pounce, you would know why I could have called a block, probably would have called a block, and been within the rules----and, well, not have been.

In the act of shooting.....Allowing a shooter to return to the floor....legal guarding position...secondary defender...All play a role in calling a charge/block. And they all circle one another. So there is wiggle room, i.e. room to make a decision on what you feel the contact created.

I can go into MORE detail if you like? But me calling that a block isn't disregarding the rules. Its me making a judgement based on the multiple rules at my disposal.
You have already stated that you understood the meaning. So make no mistake, I'm not questioning the finer details, I'm question you.

Maybe, I wouldn't be as likely to "pounce" if you weren't so condescending every other line.

Reactions: sgrooms and Lefty8
You have already stated that you understood the meaning. So make no mistake, I'm not questioning the finer details, I'm question you.

Maybe, I wouldn't be as likely to "pounce" if you weren't so condescending every other line.
I see....Question: Why are you not cross examining me on not calling tchnical fouls on coaches being out of the box? I mean the rule says...............

is it OK for me to use my judgement on that---adhere somewhat from what the rule says?

Condescending? You should go back and read my original post---The part where I say the rule(s) contradict themselves----As in, it gives me the liberty to actually call that a block, and be well within the rule....

Do yourself a favor...

Read better.

I see....Question: Why are you not cross examining me on not calling tchnical fouls on coaches being out of the box? I mean the rule says...............

is it OK for me to use my judgement on that---adhere somewhat from what the rule says?

Condescending? You should go back and read my original post---The part where I say the rule(s) contradict themselves----As in, it gives me the liberty to actually call that a block, and be well within the rule....

Do yourself a favor...

Read better.
I'm not questioning you on technical fouls due to those being a deflection by you away from the simple question I asked you. Here is what you said, these are your words not mine.

IUfanBorden said:
To me, if my call---Its a block.

BUT....By rule, and how its written, it is a charge.

You say, the correct call is it's a charge as written. That pronouncement says it's clear in your mind.

So, why call it differently than as you understand it to be written?

Let's see how your reading is, after all they are your words. It shouldn't be too hard.

Thought the board could use a spot where fans could bring “bad calls” to our beloved resident referee @IUfanBorden, who as many of us know, is an actual college referee and is now on retainer here. He can confirm whether the ref that blew the whistle did indeed have his head up his ass and overturn it - or if it’s YOU who has their head up their ass and confirm the call.

Welp, let’s get it poppin’.

Case #1 . . . What do you think, Borden . . . Confirmed or overturned?

That's one of those that you'd hate it even it was the other team, just b/c you're a fan of basketball and teabags.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
For chopping the guys arm? Think he did it on purpose to bring attention to all the holding. Seems like a massive exaggeration to think that was that bad a play, lol.
He chopped his arm? You sure you want to stick with that?

5:21.

He is holding the Northeastern player's arm pulls him in and intentionally punches his arm. You can watch the entire less than 4 minutes prior into the game if you think something "warranted" being punched, I suppose.

5:58 of the UNC Northeastern game on ESPN replag. Should Garrison Brooks have been ejected? No one even mentions this at any point, no foul was called, no nothing. However, I think I am seeing a questionable play that I am not very happy about from my player.
Yeah, but the first question we have to ask is, why the f*ck is unc playing Northeastern in the middle of February?

Thought the board could use a spot where fans could bring “bad calls” to our beloved resident referee @IUfanBorden, who as many of us know, is an actual college referee and is now on retainer here. He can confirm whether the ref that blew the whistle did indeed have his head up his ass and overturn it - or if it’s YOU who has their head up their ass and confirm the call.

Welp, let’s get it poppin’.

Case #1 . . . What do you think, Borden . . . Confirmed or overturned?

It was awesome, but it was a charge.

• Angry
Yeah, but the first question we have to ask is, why the f*ck is unc playing Northeastern in the middle of February?
Because all the ACC teams basically out of the tournament are now finding reasons to opt out of all their games and all UNC's home games.

VT, Miami, BC, Louisville is next I am sure.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

He is holding the Northeastern player's arm pulls him in and intentionally punches his arm. You can watch the entire less than 4 minutes prior into the game if you think something "warranted" being punched, I suppose.

Maybe Roy should kick him of the team or revoke his scholarship or something. He was definitely being held in the first half a lot, which is why I assumed that is what it was. However, I didn't replay it to really study it either. Just remember watching it in real time. If it was that bad it would seem the player on NE would have had an issue with it. It should have definitely been an F1 though. Glad you are looking to post examples of the worse play our four year senior has made over the course of his career though, lol.

Maybe Roy should kick him of the team or revoke his scholarship or something. He was definitely being held in the first half a lot, which is why I assumed that is what it was. However, I didn't replay it to really study it either. Just remember watching it in real time. If it was that bad it would seem the player on NE would have had an issue with it. It should have definitely been an F1 though. Glad you are looking to post examples of the worse play our four year senior has made over the course of his career though, lol.
I actually posted a play from our most recent game that astonished me for not only what he did but also by the fact that there wasn't a foul called, neither announcer mentioned it at all, it was never reviewed, and everyone keeps sweeping it under the rug as either a fair play because he was getting picked on by the guy and had to fight off the bully who was holding him or that it was a normal play. It was neither. That's an ejection if that is caught, imo. I was curious what Borden thought.

It was uncalled for without a doubt and extremely surprising for him. Just seems odd to pick out that play for a guy like Brooks who has never done anything dirty in four years. That's all. I agree 100% it is a dirty play after seeing it though.

We should start version 2.0 of this thread at the start of the next season. I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff coming up tomorrow.

It was uncalled for without a doubt and extremely surprising for him. Just seems odd to pick out that play for a guy like Brooks who has never done anything dirty in four years. That's all. I agree 100% it is a dirty play after seeing it though.
I'm saying I didn't pull a play from 2.5 years ago. I just saw this recently, was shocked, and I was curious what Borden thought. I am sure there was a time when Grayson never tripped anyone either. Doesn't make the first time not shocking. This is more blatantly intentional though.

So.....because someone does something freakishly athletic, refs should let him slide?

Yes! And we need a 3pt dunk line. Jump from behind it and dunk, 3pts. Get rid of this small ball 50 three point shots a game stuff.

Because all the ACC teams basically out of the tournament are now finding reasons to opt out of all their games and all UNC's home games.

VT, Miami, BC, Louisville is next I am sure.

Not to sure yalls resume is a helluva lot better than ours. Or VT honestly. That being said I think y’all will manhandle us down low if we ever get to play.

It is so frustrating having these pauses though, last time we came off one we promptly lost to Clemson and Miami smdh.

And the reasons we are finding to have to cancel/postpone games is we found out about this new virus out of China that is extremely contagious and affects everyone differently and can cause lasting damage to the heart and lungs. It’s called the corona virus iirc. And when/if someone close to the program gets infected with the corona virus, everyone has to quarantine so they don’t spread it to each other. I’d guess the other programs found that exact same reason.

Do you honestly think anyone associated with any team doesn’t want to play basketball games or did I miss the sarcasm.

Not to sure yalls resume is a helluva lot better than ours. Or VT honestly. That being said I think y’all will manhandle us down low if we ever get to play.

It is so frustrating having these pauses though, last time we came off one we promptly lost to Clemson and Miami smdh.

And the reasons we are finding to have to cancel/postpone games is we found out about this new virus out of China that is extremely contagious and affects everyone differently and can cause lasting damage to the heart and lungs. It’s called the corona virus iirc. And when/if someone close to the program gets infected with the corona virus, everyone has to quarantine so they don’t spread it to each other. I’d guess the other programs found that exact same reason.

Do you honestly think anyone associated with any team doesn’t want to play basketball games or did I miss the sarcasm.
Miami didn't have an outbreak. And they are off this week and now we are also and they still won't play the game. ACC also approved playing the game before Miami canceled.

Kentucky is the only team ever to have a *48 hour pause* before their Texas game.

Yes, I do think teams are taking advantage of the circumstances to duck teams for sure.

Miami didn't have an outbreak. And they are off this week and now we are also and they still won't play the game. ACC also approved playing the game before Miami canceled.

Kentucky is the only team ever to have a *48 hour pause* before their Texas game.

Yes, I do think teams are taking advantage of the circumstances to duck teams for sure.

Agree to disagree. You might be right though I Obv don’t know or have any input on these decisions.

I just can’t imagine a team like Miami, who has no shot at the tourney, being scared to play anyone, like they are afraid to lose a game, when they’ve already lost double digit games this year (I assume) And if that is what they are doing, why not pull the plug on the entire season? Guess that would mess with their TV/ACC $$$? The better question is if Miami is skipping games with no outbreaks, why isn’t the ACC making them forfeit thgames?

And the UK 48 hr pause was weird AF but again when they’ve already lost to a program like Richmond at home and have double digit losses I just can’t see em canceling the game bc they were scared of losing it.

But idk what all goes into decisions like that. Or what the threshold is for how many players have to be infected to cancel or contact tracing

Hell we played Wisconsin without jones, who was out bc of covid, but he was sitting on the bench in street clothes during the game like wtf. A lot of this stuff makes no sense to me.

I guess I just can’t see the players not wanting to play the games. Esp against the big boys, just bc I couldn’t imagine missing a chance to play against a historic program like UNC in a historic arena, just as a great experience in life bc I was scared my team would lose the game.

But who knows.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree. You might be right though I Obv don’t know or have any input on these decisions.

I just can’t imagine a team like Miami, who has no shot at the tourney, being scared to play anyone, like they are afraid to lose a game, when they’ve already lost double digit games this year (I assume) And if that is what they are doing, why not pull the plug on the entire season? Guess that would mess with their TV/ACC $$$?

And the UK 48 hr pause was weird AF but again when they’ve already lost to a program like Richmond at home and have double digit losses I just can’t see em canceling the game bc they were scared of losing it.
I don't know enough about Miami to comment, but UK usually schedules a competitive schedule. So, they put themselves at risk of losing. I'm sure if they back out of a game it is because of the reasons they state and not being afraid.

Reactions: Villian07
I think Larranaga was doing it to prove a point, which is dumb because UNC has been as clean as anyone this year so far in terms of Covid issues (not saying other teams are doing things wrong either). He has always been a miserable dude IMO and doesn't seem to like Roy for some reason. I hope the next time UNC beats them Roy tells him to F off.

I'm not questioning you on technical fouls due to those being a deflection by you away from the simple question I asked you. Here is what you said, these are your words not mine.

IUfanBorden said:
To me, if my call---Its a block.

BUT....By rule, and how its written, it is a charge.

You say, the correct call is it's a charge as written. That pronouncement says it's clear in your mind.

So, why call it differently than as you understand it to be written?

Let's see how your reading is, after all they are your words. It shouldn't be too hard.
Read better....By ONE definition-it is a charge. BUT, the definition of a shooter/airborne/starting the shot, does/can, contradict the rule. I have pointed this out 100 fukin times to you.

READ BETTER.

Wow.....Not sure WTF happened there. Right it front of the official. I mean,am I missing something? TO answer your question, thats a punch. And had NE coach wanted that looked at, in all likelihood, he gets ejected. ANY type of punch is automatic ejection..

Read better....By ONE definition-it is a charge. BUT, the definition of a shooter/airborne/starting the shot, does/can, contradict the rule. I have pointed this out 100 fukin times to you.

READ BETTER.
You said the rules as you understood them call it a charge. That seems pretty straight forward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT