ADVERTISEMENT

As of Today, Rank Your Top 5 Teams Most Likely to Win the Tourney

Who has Kentucky beat that has passed your eye test?

Current teams that are Top-10 in offense and defense:

Virginia: Offf: 2, Def: 2
Duke: Off 4, Def 5
MSU: Off 7, Def 6

Well of course I'm biased but try to have a subjective view on other teams. That being said, I've seen all of UK games. I think since getting humiliated in the Duke game we have come a very long way. What I see with this UK team is a team that can play many different style of play. Games where we only make a few threes and still handle the team easily. Besides Duke, I don't think any team will want to run with UK. UK can grind out a low scoring game. We have multiple 1st round NBA picks. Deep solid bench that I think can still improve. Cal's team rarely peak early, so I still think this team can improve.

All that passes my eye test.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
One thing is for sure, using the eye test tells me I hope UK can avoid playing Michigan State. I'd rather play Michigan to be honest.

MSU has great guard play and they have bigs that are grown ass men that can rebound as good as UK can.

I've also been very impressed with their outside shooting and thatth without Langford, who is a damn good shooter. Even Goins (sp?) Can shoot the three.

They look final four good to me. I would pay a lot of pesos to see MSU and Duke square off. That would be a great game.

Dang. I didn't realize MSU was shutting it down for the season while Kentucky tries to catch up.

As close as both teams are in various rankings, it's just a matter of who slips up first. You just got some mercy for the loss to Purdue. @Wisconsin and 2 against UM could change those rankings standings you love quite a bit.

One thing is for sure, using the eye test tells me I hope UK can avoid playing Michigan State. I'd rather play Michigan to be honest.

MSU has great guard play and they have bigs that are grown ass men that can rebound as good as UK can.

I've also been very impressed with their outside shooting and thatth without Langford, who is a damn good shooter. Even Goins (sp?) Can shoot the three.

They look final four good to me. I would pay a lot of pesos to see MSU and Duke square off. That would be a great game.
No question. Would rather play MSU as late in the season as we possibly can. Michigan is a notch below IMO

Reactions: kyjeff1
OK bud... MSU has 3 losses as well. All 3 of them to actual tournament teams, though.

MSU has more Quad 1 wins than Kentucky (8 vs 5).

MSU has more Quad 2 wins thank Kentucky (4 vs 2).

MSU has no losses to non-NCAAT teams, Kentucky has 2.

MSU is ranked higher in NET, KenPom, and pretty much every other ranking out there.

Stop stop too much logic for JC !! Stop!! It’s all about ranked wins, not the format that the NCAA Selection Committee uses!

No, I couldn't care less whether you have UK on there or not.

Also, I don't see UNC and Purdue on my list anywhere, those were the two teams I questioned.

Back to the funniest part though. Please explain to me why a program must have been to a final four before they can win a title? Why does that matter? The players on the team are all that matters.
When I look at Tennessee, they have some players on their team that are as tough as anyone in the country. They get angry when they get punched in the mouth, but you're telling me that they won't win the title because they're program has never been to a final four??? That doesn't sound silly to you?

Purdue wasn't on my list of 5 either. I've repeatedly said that. Please read and use comprehension skills. You listed 4 of the 5 team I listed. The only teams we listed differently was I had UNC and you went homer and listed UK.

I don't know why programs making their first Final Four appearance typically fail to win the title. I haven't done research on it. All I know are the facts, and the facts (at least according to another helpful poster) say that only two programs have won a title in their first Final Four appearance in the last 60 years.

Additionally, I listed several other reasons for why Tennessee wasn't on my five most likely. For example, giving up a crap ton of offensive rebounds. That surely could haunt them against elite O-rebounding teams like UNC, Duke, and Michigan State. Or even an earlier round opponent like FSU or Maryland.

You didn't even list Tennessee yourself! What is with your hard-on for them and Purdue? It's getting kind of concerning.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
Not sure bout all these kenpom, net, rpi blah, blah, blah ratings.

I look at who's in the top ten in offense and defense. Also how many 1st round nba draft picks a team has.

Sometimes they just need to pass the eye test...

What do you think we are doing when talking about KenPom? Looking at who is in the top ten in offense and defense.

Purdue wasn't on my list of 5 either. I've repeatedly said that. Please read and use comprehension skills. You listed 4 of the 5 team I listed. The only teams we listed differently was I had UNC and you went homer and listed UK.

I don't know why programs making their first Final Four appearance typically fail to win the title. I haven't done research on it. All I know are the facts, and the facts (at least according to another helpful poster) say that only two programs have won a title in their first Final Four appearance in the last 60 years.

Additionally, I listed several other reasons for why Tennessee wasn't on my five most likely. For example, giving up a crap ton of offensive rebounds. That surely could haunt them against elite O-rebounding teams like UNC, Duke, and Michigan State. Or even an earlier round opponent like FSU or Maryland.

You didn't even list Tennessee yourself! What is with your hard-on for them and Purdue? It's getting kind of concerning.
My UK choice isn't me being a homer, anyone that thinks UK doesn't have the necessary ingredients to win a title has an agenda.
UNC certainly has talent and a HOF coach, but they have underwhelmed all season. It's very odd that you would put them in your 5 over UK and UT, two teams that are beating really good teams, one of them pounded UNC on a neutral court.
As far as Purdue, they weren't in your top 5, but you did bring them up, they're in your top 7. Carson Edwards is awesome, but I just thought it was strange that they would make anyone's top 7.
Plus, Matt Painter has consistently underwhelmed with.much more talent than he has now.
As far as the "can't win until your program has been to a final four" stuff, you can't possibly believe that, or do you?

I would say these seven teams have the best chance to win the title, and there is a bit of a drop off after the seven.

Duke
Tennessee
Virginia
Gonzaga
Michigan
Michigan State
Kentucky

Its tough to order them after Virginia at 3, but MSU fans or UK fans shouldn't take offense if one is ranked before the other.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84

Pretty self explanatory. If you rely on metrics and only metrics to base your decision on who is/isn't a good basketball team and can't judge the actual on court product using your eyes as well, you don't know what you're talking about.

He means that he's so knowledgeable about basketball that his eyes are more accurate than the best analytics in the world.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, the one that yelps is the one you hit.

Pretty self explanatory. If you rely on metrics and only metrics to base your decision on who is/isn't a good basketball team and can't judge the actual on court product using your eyes as well, you don't know what you're talking about.
Lol

Reactions: TDredbird
MSU fans or UK fans shouldn't take offense if one is ranked before the other.

I'm not offended by UK at all. Someone earlier in the thread asked why MSU was being considered as a 1-seed, and I responded that they have the most Quad 1 wins in the country.

Then it went off on the tangent that MSU lost to Louisville as if that is a bad loss, and MSU has beat no one, and UK beat a bunch of ranked teams (including Louisville), etc.

[Q
Good grief dude....tell us oh mighty Kentucky fan, teach us the art of watching basketball. You’re about as fvcking dumb as JC!!!

I don't have the time nor the inclination. Just keep waving your pom poms.

And you and the Zippster have a lot in common speaking of dumb as fvck.

I'm not offended by UK at all. Someone earlier in the thread asked why MSU was being considered as a 1-seed, and I responded that they have the most Quad 1 wins in the country.

Then it went off on the tangent that MSU lost to Louisville as if that is a bad loss, and MSU has beat no one, and UK beat a bunch of ranked teams (including Louisville), etc.
I definitely think you guys have the edge on us as far as a 1 right now. We'd have to have some breaks go our way along with winning the conference if we wanted to jump from a 2 to 1.

Threads to seem to take odd directions sometimes. Usually the same folks over and over again that do the trick Winking

I definitely think you guys have the edge on us as far as a 1 right now. We'd have to have some breaks go our way along with winning the conference if we wanted to jump from a 2 to 1.

Threads to seem to take odd directions sometimes. Usually the same folks over and over again that do the trick Winking
I hope that you’re talking about rip and JC?

Reactions: HRTheCard
Not in any particular order:

Duke (if everyone is playing their best, they're the best)
Tennessee (great depth, upperclassmen and a legit go to guy)
UVA (if their stars are stars)
Gonzaga (great players at every position)
MSU (can't believe I have them over UM, but if they bring back Langford they belong in this top 5)

Reactions: RipThru
I didn’t start anything, you claim that if we don’t agree with you, then we don’t know basketball. Who the F talks like that?

I did not say that. I said if you rely only on metrics to form an opinion then you don't really understand basketball. UK gave up 118 in their first game. When you watch them today, do you think they're better, worse, or about the same defensively?

Reactions: rockycard
My UK choice isn't me being a homer, anyone that thinks UK doesn't have the necessary ingredients to win a title has an agenda.
UNC certainly has talent and a HOF coach, but they have underwhelmed all season. It's very odd that you would put them in your 5 over UK and UT, two teams that are beating really good teams, one of them pounded UNC on a neutral court.
As far as Purdue, they weren't in your top 5, but you did bring them up, they're in your top 7. Carson Edwards is awesome, but I just thought it was strange that they would make anyone's top 7.
Plus, Matt Painter has consistently underwhelmed with.much more talent than he has now.
As far as the "can't win until your program has been to a final four" stuff, you can't possibly believe that, or do you?

There it is. You should have just led with that. Would have saved a lot of back and forth.

The thread title is "Rank your top 5 teams most likely to win the title." You and me listed four out of five teams the same. Your 5th team was UK, mine was UNC. And you got your jimmies rustled because UK beat UNC earlier this year. Nevermind that UNC is actually ranked higher on KenPom and other advanced metrics.

What elite team has Tennessee beaten besides Gonzaga--the same Gonzaga team that UNC dominated?

Reactions: 829305
There it is. You should have just led with that. Would have saved a lot of back and forth.

The thread title is "Rank your top 5 teams most likely to win the title." You and me listed four out of five teams the same. Your 5th team was UK, mine was UNC. And you got your jimmies rustled because UK beat UNC earlier this year. Nevermind that UNC is actually ranked higher on KenPom and other advanced metrics.

What elite team has Tennessee beaten besides Gonzaga--the same Gonzaga team that UNC dominated?
No, I was only surprised by your Purdue and UNC choices, they surprised me and I really havehav made a big deal about that. You're deflecting from what I'm really making a big deal out of, which is your belief that a program that hasn't made a ff can't win it all. THAT'S what I'm making a big deal about, but you're deflecting from it and acting like I'm all about UNC and Purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT