ADVERTISEMENT

Are you an abrasive person?

Are you an abrasive person?

• Total voters

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
So I was discussing this with a good buddy, who is a CRAZY abrasive dude... he is a big dude in business, and he can be a bit abrupt, a bit harsh, a bit unempathetic. He KNOWS he is abrasive, but I don't think most abrasive people KNOW they are?

So I wanted to ask... is there anyone here who would say yes, they are an abrasive person? Or does everyone always think they are easy going and get along smoothly with everyone, and only OTHER people consider them abrasive?

IRL, I’m easy to get along with. More abrasive online. Only evidence I have to back it up I guess is that I rarely ever argue with people and was voted ‘friendliest’ senior year of high school?

Reactions: I am stupid
I’m typically pretty easy going. If I don’t like someone whose over aggressive or I flat out don’t like, I rarely let them know. But I’ll definitely take action after the fact to avoid similar situation or being around them.

I just don’t like douchebaggery in any setting.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I'm a bit of a dick, but I own it. I say things that probably shouldn't be said, but need to be said. Not always . . . but sometimes. I have noticed that I come alive in dickishness if someone comes across as pompous. Not really trying to outdo them, but more just to let it be known no matter how proud someone might be of their accomplishments/status I'm probably not paying attention anyway.

My size makes it pretty easy to not be intimidated by much, so I relish some discomfort from those I feel have earned it, especially the aholes.

47f9991655ab1bdce4ecd013e7c8e17e.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: IUfanBorden
No, not really. I'm very laid back and known to not be bothered by much, sometimes to a fault. I don't really mess with people at all and have huge issues with people who are not kind to others.

The only real exception is if it is an environment where debate or disagreement is expected to take place. I enjoy that sort of thing and I don't get my feelings hurt but I also assume no one else should either and that means sometimes people think I'm being a dick because I disagree with them. I used to really piss people at various Bible studies tbh. In almost every normal scenario in life I just kind of roll with the flow though.

I've only once in my working life had a confrontation with someone and it was one of the top 3 people in our school system so probably not smart on my part. However, she was talking down to people. I am the sort who will be nicer to the people below me (not a good way to say that but not sure how else to put it) than to my superiors. She was the opposite and I took up for the people she was belittling.

For most people I’m really laid back. My wife calls me “Jerry” because she says I’m like Jerry Seinfeld because I’m always just shrugging my shoulders and say “mmm, whatever” and then things just work out for me.

But with one or two colleagues, a couple of acquaintances, and unfortunately my mom, I am often abrasive. Not sure why, those specific people just set me off.

Reactions: KisteK
So I was discussing this with a good buddy, who is a CRAZY abrasive dude... he is a big dude in business, and he can be a bit abrupt, a bit harsh, a bit unempathetic. He KNOWS he is abrasive, but I don't think most abrasive people KNOW they are?

So I wanted to ask... is there anyone here who would say yes, they are an abrasive person? Or does everyone always think they are easy going and get along smoothly with everyone, and only OTHER people consider them abrasive?

Fvck no

Not me! I’m the most laid back, easy to get along with guy you’ll ever meet. Never get mad and I don’t take anything besides my job and my family serious!

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Will say it’s hard to manage people with out being abrasive sometimes. As a leader, I’m always aware of that, but sometimes people get emotional about their decisions and aren’t always right. That can be hard to navigate.

Pretty easy going....I don't get to excited. I try to avoid conflict when possible. My issue is---I let stuff build up. Then, every once in a blue moon, I just explode. And its usually over something stupid.

Overall though, just laid back.

You should see some of the comments I leave on the papers of my potato students

I am mad chill most of the time though

Reactions: bkingUK
I make friends with pretty much everyone I meet. If you asked people who knew me a defining characteristic that would probably be number 1.
Same here. Folks who know me would tell ya--"Borden's a funny dude. FUn to be around...Never seen him mad, etc, etc..."

I'd say that goes for most on here, TBH. I'd say most of us are a lot different on here, than we are in "real life".

So a lot of people talk about everyone being different here than in real life. Why is that? My guess is that everyone here would say they are a WORSE person here than normally... so why does that happen? Is it entirely the tone-deaf nature of writing?

I'm not really that different. The contentious conversations I've had here would have been the same if people would have said the same things to me in real life. However, if you really take the percentage of back and forth on here most of it is fun and harmless jabs or agreeable discussions.

So a lot of people talk about everyone being different here than in real life. Why is that? My guess is that everyone here would say they are a WORSE person here than normally... so why does that happen? Is it entirely the tone-deaf nature of writing?
There is a level of trolling you can definitely get away with online that you really can't get away with in person. I think everyone kind of expects people to be dicks sometimes behind a keyboard. Its much less likely to happen in a face to face situation.

ADVERTISEMENT