ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone been to Italy?

I still haven't been to either Spain or Portugal, although my wife has been to both and says we need to go there. It looks like we're doing Edinburgh, St. Andrews and the highlands of Scotland next month so if anybody has recs on those places, I would appreciate it.

Never been to Italy either but those pics look amazing. My wife says we need to go to Croatia and Albania though instead of Italy. It's supposed to be the same scenery as Italy only cheaper and with less tourism. More opps to mingle with locals who don't see many Americans. Maybe not Croatia so much, but certainly Albania. Anybody visit either of those places?
Yeah, Croatia is pretty awesome. Incredible scenery, it’s fairly inexpensive, the people are nice. If you really want to live like a king go to Slovakia or Slovenia, everything is dirt cheap.

Wife and I did a Viking cruise last fall with my brothers and their wives. Started in Venice ( very nice, but it was flooding at the time ), Croatia, Montenegro and ended in Greece. Out of all of them I would move to Split tomorrow. We woke early as the ship pulled in. Looked like something out of Disney.

We did Rome, Sorrento/Pompeii, and Positano over 11 days. Rome I’d recommend only 2/3 days, Vatican, ancient ruins, and coliseum tours but I’m a sucker for history. Same with Pompeii, sorento was cool but wasn’t anything special but was close to Pompeii. Positano was the gem of the trip. Take a day trip to Capri, it’s all you need there, way more
Touristy and crowded, the boat ride over and back was the best part. Food is solid everywhere. Virtually everyone in hospitality speaks English. The pick pocketing in Europe is real, it’s systematic. Just be smart and extra aware in tight quarters.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I’ve been to Amsterdam at least a dozen times. Great museums on every block. The whores are top notch too.
A quick Google search showed no less than 41 tours of the Red Light District. The wife wants to take the one that includes a joint rolling lesson (and product sampling) in a local coffeehouse.

Tell us about it. I just went to it for the first time. Are those deals legit? It’s claiming a round trip ticket to Thailand for $400. How long are these layovers? Ain’t trying to save $300 by sitting in an airport for 11 hours. Do you have to join in order to search and book?

Yes. Deals are legit. Prices are for flights with low amount of passengers. Good ones they list usually go away in 24 hours. Yes have to join.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Italy is amazing. Been a bunch of times, obviously. Number one advice is just don’t overdo it. You see people who try to do six cities in 10 days… I think that’s idiotic. Pick two or three, and spend two weeks, get to know the place. When you decide on if you are going or not, I can give you some hotels and stuff.

Reactions: Jayhawkai
Italy is amazing. Been a bunch of times, obviously. Number one advice is just don’t overdo it. You see people who try to do six cities in 10 days… I think that’s idiotic. Pick two or three, and spend two weeks, get to know the place. When you decide on if you are going or not, I can give you some hotels and stuff.
This is good advice. We usually try to do 3 full days atleast in each city we visit and afterwards it still feels like we tried to cram too much into each place.

If you’re willing to, and most people aren’t, rent a car and drive from place to place you’re visiting. Stopping at random places where they aren’t expecting American tourists can be just as fun as walking around a city like Munich. Especially if you can find a good pub. I always enjoy doing that just as much as anything else when I’m on vacation.

Agreed except for I’d stay away from hotels. Airbnb or VRBO. Rome we had $100 vrbo that was near In Positano we stayed at a Airbnb with only a few reviews and a new host. He ended up being a baker for one of the restaurants who had lived in Positano his entire life, his family dated back many generations and he had turned his families home into several Airbnb’s. He took us to a farm to table restaurant at the top of the city that was one of the best meals I’ve ever had, they brought out 20 or so plates topped off with the biggest porterhouse I’ve ever seen. We ate at his restaurant and he made a special desert and several apps free of charge. We still stay in contact with the guy and his wife through Facebook. To me it’s the best way to immerse yourself into the culture.

That's what we are trying to figure out. Too many options. Definitely want to hit Rome and Amalfi Coast. Rest is up in the air.

Reactions: toonces11
That's what we are trying to figure out. Too many options. Definitely want to hit Rome and Amalfi Coast. Rest is up in the air.

Just for reference we did Rome 3 nights, sorrento 3 nights and Positano 4 or 5 I can’t remember. Flew to Rome, private car to vrbo. High speed train to Naples and from there local train to sorrento. Can use same local train to get to Pompeii. then took a bus from sorento to Positano. Eventually took shuttle from Positano to Naples, flew back to Rome and out from there. We flew over and back on Norwegian and it wasn’t too bad and was stupid cheap. I think it was 550 a person round trip out of Newark to Rome.

Agreed except for I’d stay away from hotels. Airbnb or VRBO. Rome we had $100 vrbo that was near In Positano we stayed at a Airbnb with only a few reviews and a new host. He ended up being a baker for one of the restaurants who had lived in Positano his entire life, his family dated back many generations and he had turned his families home into several Airbnb’s. He took us to a farm to table restaurant at the top of the city that was one of the best meals I’ve ever had, they brought out 20 or so plates topped off with the biggest porterhouse I’ve ever seen. We ate at his restaurant and he made a special desert and several apps free of charge. We still stay in contact with the guy and his wife through Facebook. To me it’s the best way to immerse yourself into the culture.

Oh, excellent point. When I said hotels I also was thinking BnBs and the like.

Okay. Lemme give you a two week Italy schedule which I think would be ideal. I’ll be honest, we rarely went down to the coast, so that’s a weak spot for me.

Fly into Rome. Do three days there. This is “sightseeing” time. Vatican, Castel Sant'Angelo, colosseum, palatine Hill, etc. Last time we were there we stayed in this beautiful hotel in Trastevere... an old convent... I’ll find the name if you need it?

Then drive north to Perugia/Assisi. Do three days there. This is sightseeing time, but also “sit in cafe sipping granitas” time. These two cities are OLD, and beautiful... Assisi is heartstopping. I can’t help much there with hotels, because we stay with family there, but I can get some names (or you can look online, or someone here can help.). I’d stay in Perugia in a hotel in the old part of town,

There is an amazing BnB in Castiglion Fiorentino that Id recommend. casa portagioia. It is between Rome and Florence. We were there a few years back, and i think it has become a lot more famous since, but holy shit, what a place... it’s like the highest rated BnB in the world, but not crazy expensive. Three days there. This is pure relaxation, breath in the lavender and rosemary time. It is literally saved in our garmin as “heaven”. Just drive around the countryside and enjoy.

Drive up to Florence. Three days there. This is sightseeing time. The Duomo, St Croce, the Uffizi, the three main piazzas, Ponte vecchio, the Pitti gardens. Florence is my favorite city in the world. Again, stay in the old part.

Then down to the Amalfi coast. Three days there. I’d assume this is pure relaxation time:).

Then back up to Rome and home.

That, to me, would be a great schedule. No Venice, no Napoli, but what can you do:)

Last edited:
I’ve been to Amsterdam at least a dozen times. Great museums on every block. The whores are top notch too.
Man from what I have heard there has been a big crack down on volume of coffee shops and ladies of the night since late 2009 when I was their last. I am interested to see how the cannabis culture is in Rotterdam. We are stopping in for a day trip since it's so close to Brussels.

What would be a good area of Italy to hang for some beach time? Figure fly into Rome and do the history stuff for a couple days, then head to the water. Sicily (where my grandma was from), Cinque terre, Positano, Sardinia?

Reactions: Random UK Fan
What would be a good area of Italy to hang for some beach time? Figure fly into Rome and do the history stuff for a couple days, then head to the water. Sicily (where my grandma was from), Cinque terre, Positano, Sardinia?

Not sure about the others but Sorento and Positano were rock beaches so be forewarned. We had my father in law on speaker phone while at one asking if we’d seen any titties yet. We had and they were out.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
I’ll be honest, while beaches are nice, I am not sure I’d dedicate too much time in Italy to them. There is so much else to see that you can’t see anywhere else... beaches, you can get anywhere. That make sense?

Reactions: Jayhawkai
I’ll be honest, while beaches are nice, I am not sure I’d dedicate too much time in Italy to them. There is so much else to see that you can’t see anywhere else... beaches, you can get anywhere. That make sense?

The water there looks dope though...

https://www.thecrazytourist.com/15-best-beaches-italy/

Plus the wife and I have different ideas of vacations. I like history and adventure. She likes relaxation. So half the time exploring the Vatican and Rome and then half the time on the water, would be ideal

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDude1
Man from what I have heard there has been a big crack down on volume of coffee shops and ladies of the night since late 2009 when I was their last. I am interested to see how the cannabis culture is in Rotterdam. We are stopping in for a day trip since it's so close to Brussels.

All good man. I was in Amsterdam in March. Seemed like there was a coffee shop every 10 feet, and still tons of whores in the windows. What a city. Nothing better than sitting outside a bar drinking a beer and smoking a j while watching dudes go in and out of the ladies rooms with huge smiles on their faces.

Staying in Rome 4 days, Sorrento 3 days, Florence 3 days. Can’t wait.

The Sorrento leg will be interesting. Naples sounds like a crazy ass town. Going there a day then heading through Amalfi Coast for a day.

Beach front AirBnB with balcony and view going for under $100. Crazy. Might not return.

Staying in Rome 4 days, Sorrento 3 days, Florence 3 days. Can’t wait.

The Sorrento leg will be interesting. Naples sounds like a crazy ass town. Going there a day then heading through Amalfi Coast for a day.

Beach front AirBnB with balcony and view going for under $100. Crazy. Might not return.

Pizzeria da franco in sorrento was one of our favorites. And yeah its crazy how cheap nice places are in Italy.

Reactions: bkingUK
Looking to book a trip overseas for a honeymoon. Portugal and Spain have some awesome deals. Looking for good beaches and cool towns. Any suggestions?
Not been to Italy but I have been to Fazoli’s...I recommend the lunch combo.

Reactions: I am stupid
Pizzeria da franco in sorrento was one of our favorites. And yeah its crazy how cheap nice places are in Italy.

Have been watching videos on Roman vs neopolitan pizza. Thing is, I know there is a lot of cool stuff in Italy, but I’m all in on the pizza. Probably will try that place if I remember.

Not been to Italy but I have been to Fazoli’s...I recommend the lunch combo.

giphy.gif

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Looking to book a trip overseas for a honeymoon. Portugal and Spain have some awesome deals. Looking for good beaches and cool towns. Any suggestions?
Venice was awesome if you love food. Go in the offseason, so it's not so busy. Rome is fantastic for the culture and history.

The lesser-known Greek islands are gorgeous, but Greek food is not as good as some other places in Europe.

France is great too. Food and wine are phenomenal.

Have been watching videos on Roman vs neopolitan pizza. Thing is, I know there is a lot of cool stuff in Italy, but I’m all in on the pizza. Probably will try that place if I remember.

Any pizza there is good, even the touristy spots. That was the one that stood out the most. La Cantinaccia del Popolo was another spot in Sorrento we liked. Both were in my top 5 for out entire trip. At del Popolo wait for the lemon cello after dinner drink, its on the house and the owner sets the entire bottle on the table for you.

Reactions: bkingUK
Lived in northern Italy for a couple years and Sardinia for 3 months. Sardinia is a great vacation spot with awesome beaches. I stayed in Cagliari.

Do you speak Italian? My girlfriend and I are considering moving to Europe, but I'm a bit nervous about only being semi-fluent in french and no other foreign language.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Do you speak Italian? My girlfriend and I are considering moving to Europe, but I'm a bit nervous about only being semi-fluent in french and no other foreign language.

Add some sort of vowel to every word and you'll be fine.

Matters where you are going and how long you are spending there.
Italy has as much variety as any European county. Food is one of the things each region prides itself in. Especially cheeses.

Unless you are visiting there for awhile I don't think you can really visit everywhere and see everything.
The bigger cities are very international and you will see people from all over the world. Not speaking Italian isn't a huge deal.

I am a fan of Naples. It is the home of the US sixth fleet and has a huge American presence there. Usually people there have great respect for the United States and our military.

Very little Italian. I lived in a military town where everyone spoke English. What country are you considering moving to? Many Europeans are fluent in English, especially Germans.

Very little Italian. I lived in a military town where everyone spoke English. What country are you considering moving to? Many Europeans are fluent in English, especially Germans.
Haven't gotten that far. I'd imagine that we'd look at England, Ireland, France, Italy, or Spain.

All good man. I was in Amsterdam in March. Seemed like there was a coffee shop every 10 feet, and still tons of whores in the windows. What a city. Nothing better than sitting outside a bar drinking a beer and smoking a j while watching dudes go in and out of the ladies rooms with huge smiles on their faces.
Yea unfortunately it wasn't as good as it was 10 years ago. Only about a handful of shops in Rotterdam and the 2 I tried , one was a B+ , other was a C+. I guess it's a bit different outside of Amsterdam. Though Rotterdam is a beautiful city and I thoroughly enjoyed hanging for the day. Did you see the tropical parakeets that inhabit the Netherlands? I never saw them in Amsterdam in 2009 , but noticed them in Rotterdam flying around.
P1360124.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT